Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are cartoons getting worse?

~Sole~

Lately evey cartoon I watch is either boring, stupid or low quality. Or a combination of all three. There are only a handfull of cartoons I'll even watch anymore, its like modern cartoons get worse they go on. Shows like sanjay and craig, regular show, amazing world of gumball. Shows like these are nothing compared to shows like courage the cowardly dog, ed ed and eddy, and powerpuff girls. Does anyone else agree? And if you disagree, tell me why.

• Brohoof 6

Lately evey cartoon I watch is either boring, stupid or low quality. Or a combination of all three. There are only a handfull of cartoons I'll even watch anymore, its like modern cartoons get worse they go on. Shows like sanjay and craig, regular show, amazing world of gumball. Shows like these are nothing compared to shows like courage the cowardly dog, ed ed and eddy, and powerpuff girls. Does anyone else agree? And if you disagree, tell me why.

I don't watch a lot of cartoons so I can't really say: but I am curios to know. What makes these cartoons not very good in your opinion? 

(edited)

That used to be the case a couple years ago, but recently, I think cartoons have gotten much better again. We've now got Pony, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Phineas and Ferb (not a fan, but a lot of people are, so I'm probably the minority on this), Gumball (yeah, I like it), Archer, Bob's Burgers, Gravity Falls, and Legend of Korra. Certainly an improvement over where we were 2008-early 2010.

Keep in mind that nostalgia plays a part in this. Not to say none of the shows we grew up with weren't good, but in ten years time, the next generation will look back on these shows as perfection and look on with scorn at the lower quality new stuff.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 8

(edited)

I think they did for a while, but since 2010 or so they've been getting better again. I won't say it's all the way back to where we were in the 80s-early 00s, but it's getting there. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I partially agree my friend, however, at the same time, your right.

Cartoons lately have suffered from just being bad in general like Grojband.

However, it's those writers who really put their mind into it that can make a great cartoon like Gravity falls.

To make sure you don't loose hope in cartoons, have a look at these two new shows coming soon.

Wander over yonder is a new cartoon coming to disney channel directed by Craig Mcracken and Lauren Faust! 

If you love the powerpuff girls, samurai jack, and dexter's laboratory, you'll love this one!

And this other one, well, if your into weird suburban kid adventures, you'll maybe enjoy clarence.

It may look weird, but I have a good feeling about this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4ndaM8jVc&feature=player_detailpage

Edited by DXSilverX
  • Brohoof 1

I guess it's because most of the cartoons that are created today are either 3-D, puppets, or aimed at the younger audience. Other than MLP, though. All the new cartoons today don't appeal to me, though.

(edited)

Not this one, oh no! I agree that cartoons definitely took a turn for the worse in the recent past. The first modern-day cartoon I saw and liked was Phineas and Ferb. I thought, "Huh! A good cartoon!"

Then I found MLP. I actually haven't gotten around to watching any other cartoons since. (Disclaimer, I was never really a cartoon watcher in the first place).

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

cartoons haven't gotten worse as much as they have gotten cheaper. because studio excutives always look for the cheaper option when it comes to making cartoons. the problem with this is that these cheap cartoons usually come with a bad story or a stupid idea behind them (with some exceptions).

stuff like adventure time and regular show really belong on the internet more than they do television. mlp is good enough for t.v. but (and i hate saying this) only just. if it weren't for the talented animators and writers improving the shows visuals and story then it too would probably have been better suited for web.

(edited)

I feel like you don't like the shows because your age group is not the generation the makers are trying to appeal to, and therefore is the age group that isn't meant to like the shows anyways. I personally think that Courage the Cowardly Dog, Ren and Stimpy, The Rugrats and many other cartoons from earlier on are either too strange, too kiddish or the characters are just too unbelievable for me to enjoy. Things like Courage have very little back story for their characters (mostly the villains) and can honestly be pretty disgusting at times.

I particularly like Adventure Time, because it actually lets you piece together and intricate plotline as a viewer while still being a cartoon for kids. If you really look into certain episodes where they reveal the past of certain characters in the show, it's actually taking place in the aftermath of a huge war where a giant bomb blew up an enormous hole in the planet. Also, it can be pretty funny.

Anyways, all of you people are complaining only because the people who make these cartoons don't expect you to watch them. They expect you to have moved on to more mature forms of entertainment, and for the new generation coming along to be watching these shows.

Edited by Jverne
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Keep in mind that nostalgia plays a part in this. Not to say none of the shows we grew up with weren't good, but in ten years time, the next generation will look back on these shows as perfection and look on with scorn at the lower quality new stuff.

Probably helps that i'm only 13, so no biased opinions here!

Not all cartoons are bad. There are good shows like Regular Show and, uh.... huh. mlp-dawkward.png

Well, regardless, there are still good cartoons. We like MLP for a reason, don't we? mlp-dsmile.png

But what I want to know is, who's the a$$hole who thought this this was a good idea!?

MV5BMjU4MDk1MjEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY5

Edited by ReGen

I partially agree my friend, however, at the same time, your right.

Cartoons lately have suffered from just being bad in general like Grojband.

However, it's those writers who really put their mind into it that can make a great cartoon like Gravity falls.

To make sure you don't loose hope in cartoons, have a look at these two new shows coming soon.

Wander over yonder is a new cartoon coming to disney channel directed by Craig Mcracken and Lauren Faust! 

If you love the powerpuff girls, samurai jack, and dexter's laboratory, you'll love this one!

And this other one, well, if your into weird suburban kid adventures, you'll maybe enjoy clarence.

It may look weird, but I have a good feeling about this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa4ndaM8jVc&feature=player_detailpage

The first one looked interesting, the second was just kinda "meh". It was mostly due to the art-style and animation being underwhelming, but it wasn't very funny either.  

In the UK we have a childens channel called Cbeebies or something and they have 3d and 2d animated cartoons but they are really badly animated and also the stories are really bad compared to mlp; So yeah cartoond are getting worse

Pr

MV5BMjU4MDk1MjEyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY5

I wonder that every-time I see the ads for it. All the awesome web shows they could've given a TV slot to and thy pick that. It's kinda sad.  

(edited)

Adventure Time and Regular Show are both fantastic Emmy winning shows. Adventure Time has actually brought tears to my eyes. Cartoons are only getting better. Don't let nostalgia cloud your eyes. 

Adventure-Time-Season-5-Episode-14-Simon

EDIT: The Legend of Korra, FiM. Not to mention adult cartoons like Bob's Burgers, Archer, Futurama and American Dad. Also, the cartoon I'm developing. 

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 3

Unfortunately yes they have, entertainment in general has gone down the crapper. Just when Cartoon Network was starting to pull its head out of its ass it just cancelled Green Lantern and Young Justice, two of its best shows. They have a new Batman show on now which so far looks interesting but that its Saturday night/adult swim lineup and Venture Bros are really the only decent shows they have on now. Nickelodeon is so sad I want to cry and the "Disney" Channel is even worse than that, they might as well call that channel the Mary Sue power hour if Walt Disney was still alive he would put a boot up all the asses of the knuckleheads who thought this was even a remotely good idea.

The first one looked interesting, the second was just kinda "meh". It was mostly due to the art-style and animation being underwhelming, but it wasn't very funny either.  

Pretty much. I'm really psyched for Wander over Yonder, but the Clarence thing looks like it's carrying on the problem that some recent not good cartoons have done in the wake of Adventure Time: randomness to the point of irritation.

Nothing wrong with being random, but there has to be a point, if that makes sense. Adventure Time builds mythologies and surprisingly nuanced characters out of its randomness, Regular Show's characters stay consistent enough with the weird elements treated as more of a "monster-of-the-week" type deal, and even Gumball has got randomness down to an art form and makes it part of its unique style.

As opposed to this shit:

Adventure Time and Regular Show are both fantastic Emmy winning shows. Adventure Time has actually brought tears to my eyes. Cartoons are only getting better. Don't let nostalgia cloud your eyes. 

This.

• Brohoof 3

I wouldn't say that about Regular Show, Adventure Time, and Legend of Korra. While there are bad cartoons like Sonjay & Craig, Amazing World of Gumball, and the other new cartoons that Nick, Disney, and Cartoon Network start to make badly. Gravity Falls is a pretty good cartoon, there are pretty stale cartoons out there.

Spongebob and Fairy Oddparents, that were good cartoons until their quality decreased then they started to become bad. So, cartoons these days have two sides. Good cartoons and Awful cartoons that need to die.

(edited)
"Disney" Channel is even worse than that, they might as well call that channel the Mary Sue power hour if Walt Disney was still alive he would put a boot up all the asses of the knuckleheads who thought this was even a remotely good idea.

Let me tell you about a little show called Phineas and Ferb. It's one of funniest and wittiest kid's shows out there. Not everything out there is bad. It's just there's so much mediocre stuff that only the best will stand the test of time. You think everything was good in the 90's?   

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Pretty much. I'm really psyched for Wander over Yonder, but the Clarence thing looks like it's carrying on the problem that some recent not good cartoons have done in the wake of Adventure Time: randomness to the point of irritation.

Nothing wrong with being random, but there has to be a point, if that makes sense. Adventure Time builds mythologies and surprisingly nuanced characters out of its randomness, Regular Show's characters stay consistent enough with the weird elements treated as more of a "monster-of-the-week" type deal, and even Gumball has got randomness down to an art form and makes it part of its unique style.

As opposed to this shit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FrxlJN-3pEU

This.

Dear, just dear God. I don't even know what to say to that, it's like a bad Newgrounds cartoon. 

I think to many creators are looking back at the 90s/early 00s and trying to do the intentionally off putting and sometimes gross animation of things like Ren and Stmpy, but missing the point of he animation and design actually being good. 

I haven't watched much Adventure Time or Regular show, but what I've caught on TV of them was pretty good. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Nah, I don't think they're getting worse. There were bad shows on back in the day too. No one remembers them now, because most people didn't find them worth remembering. The mediocre always seems to outnumber the good in TV. There are plenty of solid shows that kids will look back on fondly in another decade.

I also think growing up has a little to do with it. Shows I watched and love as kid lost their appeal when I got older. Some of them were good, others... not so much. =P

I agree with you 100%! I think I know why too, cause all the good shows have been used. So many great shows we had for so many years sadly they had to end some time, the writers ran out of ideas, no pony was watching them anymore etc. So now we got new writers making CRAP or the same damn thing we had 5years ago but it sucks. They have tried so hard to bring back so many great shows from when I was a kid. Just glad they didn't bring back Popeye, just leave it along it was great in black and white! anyway its the same with movies... now days they only do remakes cause no one can think of anything good anymore.....

It definitely got worse in 2008, but I think it's getting better.  Sure you get awful ones, but we always had bad ones.  Regular show is funny and a fresh take on a cartoon.  MLP is, well were all here aren't we.  Phineas and Ferb is imaginative and quite funny at moments.  I think it depends where you look.