Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of Bronies before you started watching the show?

RollingPony

I didn't even really know of their existence until maybe a week before I became a brony myself. I didn't even know it was a thing as I wasn't an internet person and so I wasn't exposed to any pony stuff. My mate (clockwork chaos on this forum) was talking about bronies and was saying that there must be some reason people our age like MLP. I was curious so I watched a couple of episodes...and then finished the entire first season in one night. I didn't really have an opinion of the fandom before becoming a brony except for being intrigued.

I was confused.  I first heard about it on a forum a couple of years ago, and the people discussing it were fairly well-respected members of said forum.  So yeah, it started as confusion which later grew into overwhelming curiosity.  (completely unrelated: I just found out now that curiosity does not have a 'u' in it.  This amazes me)

I always thought that it was just a internet troll thing, seeing that I was on a forum where we made pointless threads pony threads. :P

pic1638673.png

That's my favorite. mlp-aconceited.png

What I thought "A bunch of weird Girly fat Men with no lifes"
What I think of bronies now "a bunch of weird girly fat men with no lifes"
Its sad because its true

35ay65.jpg

I had no idea that this show even existed until I was getting a Happy Meal at MacDonalds and saw Twilight Sparkle and I thought "that pony sounds a lot like me." I didn't know bronies existed until I was actually part of the fandom and I was like "whoa! other people like ponies!" So, yeah, there's my story.

I was always a bit... Old fashioned when it came to entertainment.. I was always taught that boys watched MANLY shows, and girls watched girly shows.... I wasn't exactly a h8er..... but I definitely didn't associate myself with bronies back then... Nut when I first watched the show, I thought.. "Hows this girly?".... "Its just... cute.".... and there ya go XD

• Brohoof 1

My first encounter with a brony was also what led to me becoming one. I knew nothing of the show or its fanbase until someone on another forum told us try watching it. Not until several weeks afterwards did I even hear the term "brony," much less become aware that it was popular among more than a few, scattered individuals. Since I became a brony immediately after meeting one and being introduced to the show, I'd have to say my first impressions were very positive, and I didn't form any preconceptions about the guy before I watched the show.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Let's not mince words. I thought they were complete fags. When I first heard of them in 2011, the idea of grown men/women watching a show for little kids bothered the living hell out of me. So for a long time, I was a hater. I didn't go out of my way to troll them like some of those obsessive hate mongers love to do, I just kinda looked down on you like most not-fans. But one day, I decided to see what all the hubbub was about and I started watching those clips by Kyrospawn, pmvs, etc.

So unlike the immature anti-bronies that people may encounter, while I didn't like what you were doing I never just went out of my way to say "HEY, YOU GUYS SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS!" or "STOP ENJOYING THINGS!" at most I just told people that bronies were just furries that specialized in horses.

Edited by Mzukiller

Honestly? I thought that bronies were the people that lives in their mother's basement until 30, it's REALLY fat, no creativity at all, have no friends and probably retarded...(harsh isn't it?), but after being forced to watch the show and ending up liking it, I got in this community and don't think I can say this to anyone in here (OK, at least most of them... hehehe).

I never even knew what a brony was!

I had heard the term and was like "what the heck is that?"

When i found out,i payed no real attention to bronies!

I didn't really care that grown men watched a tv show meant for little girls!

• Brohoof 1

I didn't ever think negatively of them.

I've always been a big fan of things that can be enjoyed by both children and adults, such as Wallace and Gromit, Pixar films, and Spongebob etc.

And because of that, the first time I heard of a 'Brony' and found out what it was, the first thought I had was "Well, if a bunch of older guys genuinely like this show, then there must be something in it that adults and teens can enjoy".

Even though yeah.. Took me a little bit of time to gain the nerve to watch an actual episode

(don't know why I needed the nerve... Look, a distraction!)

Edited by Broseph
  • Brohoof 1

See the funny thing is I didn't know what a brony was exactly for a while, I thought it was some weird slang insult, but I eventually learned what they where.

My thoughts where still kinda netural. I was just curious, and eventually I watched the show.

I can't say I ever hated bronies. I might've made fun of the old show once or twice. But then it faded. And yeah.

So I guess mostly neutral.

• Brohoof 2

I Actually found about Bronies in a website called Plug.dj, the host of my favourite room was a brony, he told me the show wasn't as girly as people say, and i got addicted.

As for my first thoughts, i thinked that it WAS kinda weird for someone over 10 years liked MLP, but then i watched a bit, and i also got addicted :3

In all honesty, I had no idea there was such a thing as the "Brony Phenomenon" until I had watched about five episodes. I stumbled upon the "Flutterguy" clip on YouTube, and thought it was funny enough to make watching the show worth while. 

• Brohoof 1

To be honest... I thought it was kinda creepy when I first found out about it, I didn't understand the brony thing at all. But it was that very creepiness that peaked my curiosity and led me to watch the show for myself. And now here I am, posting on forums with plastic ponies on my shelf.

THIS POST WILL BE LONG AS HELL

In all seriousness and truth, I actully thought bronies were people from a ganster gang, and I was scared that a gang of "bronies" would try to beat me to a pulp, but when I heard two of my friends talk about my little pony, I went up to them and this is how it went.

Me: Hey, what are you talking about?

Big Friend: Oh, just about My Little Pony.

Me: ... Why?

Skinny Friend: Because we're bronies.

Me: "scared expression" Oh...

Skinny Frind: You have a problem with that?

Me: NO! "shake" "shake"

Big Friend: "concerned look" What's wrong?

Me: Why?

Big Friend: You look scared.

Me: ...

Skinny Friend: You know what a Brony is right?

Me: ... No...

They explained to me what brony ment and what bronies do. I thought it was bizzare, but I said "Well.at.least it's not as bad as the "Sonic" fandom".

Then we kept talking about different things like "Super Meat Boy" and "Nintendo".

Skip two weeks

I start looking through the web about bronies and find a few youtubers who I then subscribed to, like "RebelTaxi", "IMATOONLINK", and "TheLivingTombstone"... in my opinion a few of Yoav's songs are good like "Tom's Dog", "Mineturtle", and "The Good ol' Days" are good. Because... I don't like dubstep.

"The world stands still as Rodrick says he dosn't like dubstep."

Correction, I hate it. But that's another story so, moving on...

I start to draw characters from FiM even though I didn't watch it at that time, and I start wanting to get a toy from the franchise, and I remember my sister leaving a McDonald's toy of Twilight Sparkle downstairs two years ago. I get the toy and... start combing it... rhythmicly... I was a confusing child.

And then I start watching it, go batshit crazy over it, one year later I'm back to my normal self, still watching the show and liking it, and probably try to make a deal with hasbrowith making a party game, and other shit, but, I'm just gonna keep drawing and not be noticed for a long while...

I entered the fandom relatively early, so I never really witnessed it from the 'outside'. I saw that there was this show, and I saw that people were making awesome art and music based off it. I've always been relatively positive about it.

I started finding Brony stuff on sites I frequented about late 2011, and my response at first was to just let them to do their thing. I tried out the show then but couldn't really get into it. Came back and officially became a brony late 2012.

I didn't find it odd at all. The first time I saw ponies I didn't think much of it. In the end, it's a show people like so who am I to judge them? Like, everyone has their own interests and things they like but that doesn't mean you should treat them in a different way.

I had my own share of prejudice for who I am and I learned that being prejudiced will get you absolutely nowhere. Treat people like you treat every other person, not based on the things they enjoy doing but on their personality.

I knew about bronies before I became one. I was really confused as to why people liked the show, so I started hating. I was at the library, and this guy I was sorta friends with was listening to music on an iPod. He told me to listen, (I hated dubstep then) and I heard dubstep. Instinctively, I threw the earphones like an idiot. I asked him what it was, and he said "Pony music". My other friend was there, who is usually very accepting of anything, and I told him "This guy watches My Little Pony!". He laughed a little and kept doing his work. The rest of that day I couldn't think of him the same way. I guess it doesn't matter though, since that was what got me to watch the show that night.

• Brohoof 1

Believe it or not, I had never really even heard of bronies before I became one. I heard about bronies from my friend that was a brony and I told him he was an idiot, just messin with him, not actually being mean. That day I went home and watched all three seasons over the weekend. I was listening to some brony music on my phone when he saw the thumbnail. It was Vinyl Scratch. He looked over and was like "OMG! You are listening to brony music!" and my face turned a bright shade of red.

Edited by LightsCameraAction

Not gonna lie, my initial impression was pretty negative. I thought y'all were all furries and cloppers. But, as time passed, I grew more neutral to the community. I understood the basic premise to it, and thought "good for you, it's just not my cup of tea."

And now, here I am.