Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you think of Bronies before you started watching the show?

RollingPony

...I tend to be the last person to know about things and have a remarkable talent for ignorance. I genuinely didn't know that they existed, but I'd heard of the term "brony". I'd already watched most of Season 1 by the time I found out that there was a big fanbase, so I wasn't in much of a position to judge ^_^.

• Brohoof 1

I didn't really have an opinion on bronies before I watched the show... Mainly because I didn't know the word...

I knew that the show was popular around the Internet... ( it was starting to invade my favoret website) and I just didn't understand why it was so popular. I thought it was just a trolling thing... But I didn't think about it too much, didn't really care.

Then I decided to watch the show; and you've all heard this story before... XD

When my friend first told me what bronies were, I thought that bronies were a bunch of effeminate attention whores. :(

Then, many months on the internet later, I decided to give the show a try, and then I eventually ended up here.

(edited)

Honestly, I was jist confused at first. I knew of teenagers liking things like those before like adventure time, but I was surprised when I learned older men like it as well. It intrigued me to say the least

Edited by z11011

I was all like "Wuh? What dah frack ish a broneh?"
Then my friend was like "Watch the first episode!"
So then I checked it out, and I got hooked just like that. Story of my current life. :3

I thought it was a bit odd that grown guys liked MLP, but I thought, "Whatever floats your boat." When I discovered some of the fan works before I became an actual fan of the show, I actually gained a lot of respect for the creative minds of the brony community.

I actually had no idea what bronies were until about a year ago.  I may have seen the shirts or pictures at some point, but it didn't register.  I knew there was a new version of MLP, but I was neutral towards it, didn't watch it and didn't know anyone who watched it either, though I'm sure some people I knew watched MLP but didn't talk about it.

I ran into some FIM related memes at some point and did some research on the show.  That's when I learned about bronies and the large creative side of the fandom.  When I found out a large part of the fan base fell in my age group it peaked my interest.  I thought it was cool that people outside the target demographic were embracing MLP and creating tons of amazing fan works.  I also thought there's a reason why all these people in my age group like it, and I should at least give it a shot.

So in short, I liked bronies once I found out what they were, and yes, I thought they were cool B) .  

Immediately, I thought most of them we're just trolls trying to basque in the pseudo-irony that they are grown men watching a show made for young women.

Since then, I have greatly changed my views although he biases I hold against SOME of us still stand.  For example, some of the bronies I've met IRL have serious emotional problems and this makes the rest of us look unstable to outsiders. :/

I thought it was a bit odd, but other than that I didn't really care. I never ran into brony or mlp:fim stuff on the internet mostly because I stuck to science news sites and virtual worlds. The only reason I ever found about bronies was because of the "Teens react to My Little Pony Friendship is Magic" video. One day months later, I was bored, so I decided to see why grown men and women watched the show. I watched it, I liked it, andd here I am.

I'm an OB (Original Brony), lol. I grew up enjoying me some ponies with gen 1 and 2 but then I found the appeal of anime and was lost for awhile. I have to give judos to sylentmana for pulling me back into the fandom. Bronies are great and being one has made me a better person. LOVE AND TOLERANCE!!!!

(edited)

I'll just come straight out and say it. I thought it was incredibly strange. I had a really weird friend at school who was addicted to the show and watched the first season millions of times on the bus, train, in class (I can almost guarantee he was one of the first bronies to ever exist). I thought bronies were creepy and must be deviants. I got into arguments with many online. But some things happened. Can't be bothered going into details. And now I'm here. And I don't regret it one bit. 

Edited by Spontaneous Me

I did not think much of it... I saw someone I followed over on YouTube posting episodes, and I simply thought it a joke.

What followed was me magically dodging and/or not noticing a SINGLE pony for almost a year (yeah, thinking about it now, it was close to a miracle considering how much internet that went through me head), before I too was taken in~

I'd heard of both the show and Bronies before I watched it, and I honestly didn't think anything negative about it. It seemed cool to me that a bunch of fans have come together to love a show, even though it'd be considered socially 'strange'.  I thought you should be able to enjoy whatever you feel passionate about.
Even with the tons of clop I encountered before I joined the fandom, I still had a positive view of Bronies. 

Then, when I started watching it and slowly discovering how awesome the fandom was, that's when I understood the big deal haha.

...well this is something im not proud of, ok here goes i was a brony hater, i took the piss of them, i called them names like "faggot" "queer" "gay" but in the end i thought "fuck it, im going to see why they like it" so i watched it for the first two episodes i thought " oh for fucks sake" then i carried on watching and realized i had watched the entire of series 1 :D i almost immediately joined the forums and posted an apology ...and now i am a brony :D yaaaaaaay

2qatyfs.gif  

I didn't consider myself a full blown hater, but I still thought it was weird. I wouldn't go out of my way to hate but if the topic was brought up, I put my 2 cents in. It usually consisted of off color language and really hateful names. Then, out of desperation, I gave the show a chance. Now I'm thoroughly disgusted with myself over how I acted. It was a tough pill to swallow but I'm glad I did.

I was largely ignorant of bronydom before I got into the show, so I didn't think anything about them. I used to think the show itself was "girly"/stupid before I watched it, but then I found out that it was far from it. 

If I had known about bronies before I was into the show, I probably would have made fun of them. Thankfully, one of the things I have learned from MLP and its fandom is to not be so quick to judge people based on their interests, and to not assume that something designed for girls is in any way bad or stupid.

• Brohoof 1

I was never involved in the internet community before MLP. I kind of discovered the show on my own by accident.  By the time I learned what a Brony was, I was already one.  That's how fast Pony fever takes hold. :yay:

(edited)

My very first reaction to hearing about guys who watched MLP could be summed up thus: "Lol, seriously?" followed by uncontrollable snickering at what such guys chose to call themselves: bro+ponies=bronies? HA. For quite some time, I thought bronies were a bunch of oddballs, albeit harmless oddballs.

...Now that the shoe's on the other foot, I don't really feel much differently. We honestly are a bunch of oddballs, and frankly, that's nothing to be ashamed of. We're odd in the sense that we (or at least most of us) can simply enjoy what we enjoy without fear of persecution. If clinging only to media that fits what's "socially acceptable" is considered normal, then I don't want to be normal. Let me be an oddball, now and forever!

Edited by Lowline Thrash
  • Brohoof 1

I had mixed reactions about them at first. Some of them were really cool and just liked the show and ponies, but some of them were weird and borderline crazy about you not liking the show. I know that the latter is never the majority of a fanbase, but it did worry me and gave me some biased thoughts on them for a little bit. I never hated on them I pretty much ignored or kept my distance from them.

I've always liked cartoons so I gave the show a fair chance when urged by my friend and now everything else is history.

Or in the words of Pinkie Pie: "And that's how Equestria was made!"

I was positive towards them. I am a somewhat late brony. At first, I didn't even mind them. In fact, in the back of my head, I praised them for their awsome work for the fandom. Even though I wasn't a brony, I still picked a fight with the haters. Why should people pick on each other over a TV show? That's just lame.

• Brohoof 2

The only 'bronies' I saw before I really gave a pony site a try, were to obnoxious tawts on a Sonic forum I was on, who threw around memes of it like free candy, and irritated everyone. So, I'd say it was an inaccurate, but sadly all-too-common first impression :P

(edited)

We actually had a massive conflict at another forum I frequent about this just as I was getting into the show. Some people were saying the usual things about how it was awful, men who liked it were awful, etc., including some people I liked, while others of course were defending the show. Me? I was in the middle...if it floats your boat, fine, if it doesn't, fine, just don't bother each other, that's not what the forum was (is) for.

Edited by truth is life

Yeah I didn't criticize. I just though it was funny back then that two goth kids in myclass drew ponies in their notebooks. One had a Muffins Express Yourself Derpy shirt. I didn't know anything about the show but I LOVED that shirt! There was even an after school brony club in my middle school!! I just found it curious how so many teenagers could like a kid's show. I was actually tempted to watch the show a couple times just cause of my curiosity.

It wasn't until the year after that when my high school SENIOR friend listened to ponies on his MP3 that I just HAD to see what all the fuss was about.