Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you like before it was cool?

iceestarz

Nothing to brag about but I liked The Nightmare Before Christmas and Tim Burton long before it was cool.

I was also 'emo' before it because a thing and was called emo hahaha that's kind of sad though.

People would be like "ohhh I get it now, you are emo!" ...ugh.

• 4 weeks later...

Two things I can easily think of. One is Dragonball Z, which I'd seen for the first time in 1996 on holiday in America. I saw some eps from the Cell saga. I remember telling my friends about it and hoping it would come to the Netherlands one day...which it did about two years later.

Another thing I liked before it was cool was the song 'Everytime We Touch', by Cascada. I'd been listening to Cascada for nearly two years when the radio started playing the song; they even had the nerve to call it 'a new song'. I went full hipster over that.

I liked My Little Pony before it was cool... I use to watch and enjoy G3 with my sister as kids.... even though I had only seen two of the 18 episodes I thought it was cool and still think it is to this day

• 4 years later...

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be Minecraft... A friend of mine showed it to me around late 2009/early 2010, and I instantly fell in love with it. :wub:

Basically almost any franchise HotTopic reintroduced into their store from Power ranger to TMNT to Spongebob to Beetlejuice etcs..

2 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

basically, I was country before it was cool and mainstream. :scoots:

I was punk rock before it goes straight to poserville. I think that’s what kills it. 

I liked MLP before it was considered cool.

Just a fun fact, I didn't think FIM was cool. I thought the fandom was cool, and it led me to watch FIM. MLP however, I have always been interested in.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...

Hm, probably Stardew Valley. I was playing that before that game blew up. I guess you could also say Minecraft, but I also haven't played that game since then. :rarity:

• Brohoof 2

One thing that comes to mind is Animal Crossing. I got into Animal Crossing when I rented the original GCN game the month it was released in the US. Back then, in 2002, Animal Crossing was NOT considered "cool". Lol. But gradually over the past two decades it has risen to being one of the most popular and best-selling video game series. I think especially with New Leaf and New Horizons. It's neat to see it thriving! =)

• Brohoof 2

• 5 months later...

Animal Crossing as well. I adored the GC game.

The band Ghost. I got into them when their second album released so they weren’t quite mainstream at that point.

War Thunder. I played it before it really blew up. Back when it still had 20 ranks. Back before the filthy tanks showed up.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... I am sure there is lots of things, but I doubt I can remember them all. :derp:

Does being a tokusatsu fan in the west count? I started watching back in the early 2000's. For an American fan, that was NOT easy! Either you took a chance with some badly translated bootleg subtitles that you might find on eBay, or you found the ONE and ONLY fansub group that was translating tokusatsu back in the day (TV-Nihon). But ever since about 2011 give or take, things have changed. There is now WAY more fansub groups, most of which are far better than the one I just mentioned. There is way more stuff translated than just the standard Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, and whatever is super popular at the moment. Not to mention, there is now way more DVD and Bluray boxsets of tokusatsu getting a legal, official release. There's even some titles you can stream! Way more options to help people get started, and because of this, I've seen WAY more fans popping up. Still a niche fandom, but I remember when you could count the number of fans, message boards, and resources for tokusatsu on one hand. :bedeyes: ...Unless you grew up in Hawaii (Kikaida/Ultraseven) or saw various tokusatsu titles in the Philippines. In which case, you were probably a western tokusatsu fan long before someone like me.

Does The Powerpuff Girls count? Before I saw the original cartoon series in the late 90's, I also saw all the What A Cartoon shorts. :adorkable:

• 2 weeks later...

I've loved country music and pickup trucks long before everyone started calling themselves "country" and all that cringe with the lifted/squatted trucks. And of course, I've loved My Little Pony long before FIM even existed, I was 3 years old playing with my G3 MLP ponies and my mother's G1 ponies. ^_^ I am a true brony hahaha.