Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpys Special Talent

Jamesblorg39welsh

That Derpy animation that popped up on EQD recently has a pretty poetic answer to that.

"My clumsiness was so important, it was represented by my cutie mark: seven bubbles, representing both luck and fragility."

• Brohoof 5

I have a beautiful piece of artwork for this!

img-1740672-1-my_special_talent_by_suiku

Although not much of a fan of Derpy, I think the only confusion with all of this is how bronies led everyone to believe she's a mailmare. It was never really indicated, even in Feeling Pinkie Keen. All we saw was a delivery truck and an accident. I think the bubbles indicate her bubbly personality, and her love and fascination with small things. She probably chases bubbles all the time. ^^

That Derpy animation that popped up on EQD recently has a pretty poetic answer to that.

"My clumsiness was so important, it was represented by my cutie mark: seven bubbles, representing both luck and fragility."

Oh gosh! That shading and effects! And the Nintendo references and soundtrack! Simply stunning! <3
Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 2

Well since her cutie mark is bubbles, she probably got her special talent by blowing bubbles or working in a bubble factory or something. The mystery still thickens itself out.

First i would like to say to "She probably kidnapped herself" that your Eric animation made me laugh so hard  LOL I love that show.. Second her special talent might be cleaning, or even something like blowing bubbles....Okay those are not really talents i know but thats all i got!

• Brohoof 1

It funny how none of the doctors in pony vill could fix her eye problem but, the animators sure as hell could. XD Poor derpy she didn't need to be fixed, she needed to be excepted.  :(

• Brohoof 1

I really don't buy the fact that she got her cutie mark by blowing bubbles since that seems a bit shallow. That is of course, she had some sort of life changing experience with bubbles that brings out some deeper meaning. Maybe if these bubbles made her happy, it means that she can always look for the bright side of things when times are glum.

Also, if you've watched "Doctor Whooves and Assistant" by uh... did Jitters/BDR write that?.... anyways, she explains the cutie mark represents her bubbly personality.

Remember guys, the symbol on a pony's cutie mark doesn't exactly mean that's what the pony does.

Example: Cherilee has flowers but that doesn't mean she's a gardener. Derpy may have bubbles but that may not exactly mean her talent has to do anything with bubbles.

• Brohoof 3

I've always wondered how Derpy's cutie mark reflects on her character. The only time when she wasn't part of the background ponies was when she almost destroyed the town hall, so maybe that reflects on this so called "bubbly personality".

Derpy's character was originally based on Bubble from the Powerpuff Girls, another show by Lauren Faust. And what Derpy is right now is actually an animation mistake.

Maybe we'll know the meaning of these seven bubbles in a future episode, we don't know...

I think maybe it represents that she's air-headed, and like that Derpy animation, that she's fragile; bubbles are filled with air and can be popped if you just touch it (I used to try to hold bubbles when I was 5... The disappointment.). And as said by Ghostpony750, she's based upon Bubbles from Powerpuff Girls. I read somewhere that Bubbles was named because of her giggles (Don't ask how laughing became bubbles, I have no idea either). So, to combine everypony's ideas, she's air-headed, fragile, bubbly, and maybe giggly.

Edited by Nurin Insyirah

Derpy's character was originally based on Bubble from the Powerpuff Girls, another show by Lauren Faust. And what Derpy is right now is actually an animation mistake.

Almost... except it's pretty clear that the Powerpuff Girls are reincarnated as the Cutie Mark Crusaders, for obvious reasons, but that's totally debatable.

Then again, both Derpy and the PPG were mistakes, but turned out to be soo, awesome :wub: .

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...
On 8/12/2013 at 5:03 AM, Jamesblorg39welsh said:

Derpy is quite the challenged pony but she managed to find herself a special talent as her cutie mark is telling us it apparently has something to do with bubbles anybody have an idea as to what her talent is

Talent of being a very popular background pony. The bubbles icon is a generic background pony cutie mark that is supposed to not get us to ask any questions. This is the first time I have heard anyone ask about it :wau:

I think the cutie mark represents her unpredictability and out-of-the-box thinking.

How and why she is a mailpony, I don't know. My headcanon is that she is pretty good at it despite some mistakes that she makes.

• 2 months later...

My best guess is that her talent is being a bubble brain.

Here's the definition:

"A person with a brain as empty as a bubble. Both girls and guys can be bubble brains, but it often refers to a girl."

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

Bubble wrapping all the mail so it doesn’t get destroyed when she drops it.

You have now mentioned two things from Steven Universe without ever seeing that show. :o

I also think some variation on "bubbly personality" makes far more sense than literal bubbles.

Interestingly, one of the fanfics EQD featured recently (A Charmed Life) was partially about someone helping Derpy realize this.

9 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

What was the first thing?

It was you abandoning your imaginary friend. Not to spoil anything, but Steven Universe deals with some really emotional stuff like that. You need to see the entire series and movie to enjoy it!