Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reactions on the new "Smile HD" video

Candy Blaze

Well, seeing this thread here piqued my curiosity since I wasn't quite sure what it was(thought people were just talking about some kind of Smile Song remix video or something), so I watched it. All I can really say is... well, I hated it, and I never want to see it again. Senseless, tasteless, and overly gratuitous, I just can't fathom why time and effort was put into making this. Simply awful. :(

Oh man, I am so sorry you went in thinking that!  I mean, granted, I was just a little on edge at first when I saw the video's title image, which seemed a little too cheery to be normal, but I basically went in thinking the same thing.  Certainly not a pleasant surprise, to say the least.  >_>

I've mulled over this for a while and I'm still a bit lost. Can you (or anyone really) explain to me what artistic merit is? I've read some basic definitions but they're quite vague and broad. Is there a set criteria you're using to decide whether something has artistic merit or not and if you are, can you share it with me?

I'll admit, artistic merit is a pretty subjective term ("beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and all that jazz), so I'll try to limit my definition to the video in question.  In this particular instance, I believe that for MLP creative content to have any artistic merit (whether pics, music, a story, or a video), it has to in some way contribute an addition (in either canon or, more often than not, fanon content) to the fulfillment of MLP: FiM's "mission statement", if you want to call it that, to teach about and promote friendship in a way that is appropriate for all or at least most ages.  It doesn't have to do that much, mind you, seeing as simple images or music may just be visually or audibly appealing while not conveying that much of a thematic idea, but still, if they remain faithful to the visual and/or audio and/or thematic tone of the show, then I believe that the art in question has artistic merit within the greater canon/fanon MLP universe of creative content and the brony fandom.

This video, on the other hand, while certainly visually stunning and containing a great music track, does not come close to resembling the thematic tone of the show in any way whatsoever.  It is not appropriate for all ages and in no way, shape, or form adds anything towards the fulfillment of MLP's mission statement.  Furthermore, the violence and gratuitous content is not even subtly presented, but clearly designed to be so blatant and in-your-face in its presentation so as to achieve maximum shock in the viewer, thereby increasing the chances that word of mouth will draw more viewers to the vid simply for the cheap shocks.  True art, in my opinion, has to promote something higher than simply cheap shocks and gratuitous violence (i.e. the friendship promoted by MLP, for example).  While someone could turn this argument on me and say that I should make this argument for shipping art within the fandom, I will take a moment to admit that yes, this can be said for SOME shipping artwork, generally that which appeals to the clopper subgroup of the brony fandom.  While crass or overtly explicit clop artwork does not have much artistic merit in my opinion, seeing as it generally emphasizes carnal lust, safe shipping art within the fandom in my opinion does indeed have artistic merit in that it conveys more than just some gratuitous wish-fulfillment.  Simultaneously, artwork of that nature conveys and promotes deep-seated love, which is simply a more advanced variant of friendship, and ergo contributes something of artistic import and value to MLP and the brony fandom.

Finally, I will say this; I hold nothing against the subgroups who this type of creative content appeals to.  I know that there are plenty within our fandom who enjoy clop artwork, grimdark, and yes, even overtly violent and graphic creative content.  Heck, if there wasn't a group of people who this appealed to it probably wouldn't even exist in the first place.  But there is, and ergo artists out there make content to appeal to these subgroups' tastes and demands.  It's just that conscientiously I cannot say that, within the MLP universe and our fandom, that I truly believe such content has any artistic merit or contributes something to the show or fanon itself.

I hope this helps explain what I was trying to get at; thank you MuteMutt for asking me for clarification, and I apologize if my original post was not clear enough in expressing what I believe qualifies something as having artistic merit.  :)

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 6

Well, I guess what I would consider artistic merit differs a bit. What I look for in art (all its forms) is meaning, emotion evoking and thought provoking. If you've got all that (or at least enough of it), you've got my artistic merit vote and, surprisingly , I think this video does that (It's crazy to think that I actually like this video despite not being a fan of gore or grimdark). But thanks for explaining what you meant.

This video, on the other hand, while certainly visually stunning and containing a great music track, does not come close to resembling the thematic tone of the show in any way whatsoever.  It is not appropriate for all ages and in no way, shape, or form adds anything towards the fulfillment of MLP's mission statement.  Furthermore, the violence and gratuitous content is not even subtly presented, but clearly designed to be so blatant and in-your-face in its presentation so as to achieve maximum shock in the viewer, thereby increasing the chances that word of mouth will draw more viewers to the vid simply for the cheap shocks.  True art, in my opinion, has to promote something higher than simply cheap shocks and gratuitous violence (i.e. the friendship promoted by MLP, for example)...

You know, the more I think about the video the more I like it. At face value, it's just shocking and repulsive, but as I look past that I seem to find an underlying message, a critique hidden under all that gory violence. A sort of unfortunate truth. The gratuitous violence is a caricature and the real substance of the work is hidden beneath that. I'm having a really hard time putting my thoughts into words on why I now love this video but if I had to describe this video in just two words it would be: grotesque beauty.

• Brohoof 2

Well, I watched it, and it was basically what I expected it to be. It was a very gory cartoon with an innocent sounding name and intro to trick viewers. It wasn't very original, and I was very reminded of the creator's previous video: Cupcakes HD. However, this doesn't mean I didn't like it. I guess it was somewhat enjoyable, and the animation and music were very good, and well-timed. It was a bit crazy, but it had some nice little touches. I liked the little meter in Pinkie's Head, and I also liked Rarity's tombstone (that part was very funny to me.) And it was kind of interesting how Rainbow Dash attack Pinkie Pie to try and save her friends even though Pinkie Pie is one of her best friends.

As for the gore and violence; eh, I didn't really care for it. I"m not really bothered by that sort of thing, and it was pretty cartoonish in my opinion. It was pretty interesting, I guess, but that's about it.

Overall, it was somewhat enjoyable, and the animation and music were nice, but it wasn't very original or memorable.

• Brohoof 3

Welp, it's to be expected of Davey.. I remember watching cupcakes.. and the derpy one e.o Even if I am a lover of gore I hate seeing those cute little ponies get hurt ;~ ; and also, MFW Fluttershy starts punching Pinkie..

63963__safe_rarity_animated.gif?13440803

• Brohoof 5

I thought the animation was well done, the song wascatchy, but the gore was rally pointless. I'm not a fan of pointless gore, for example happy tree friends, but I dont mind it when it is used in context, like walking dead. regardign this to the creator, Cupcakes was enjoyable because the gore made sense in the context, but with this it was solely there to be gorey. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I guess what I would consider artistic merit differs a bit. What I look for in art (all its forms) is meaning, emotion evoking and thought provoking. If you've got all that (or at least enough of it), you've got my artistic merit vote and, surprisingly , I think this video does that (It's crazy to think that I actually like this video despite not being a fan of gore or grimdark). But thanks for explaining what you meant.

You know, the more I think about the video the more I like it. At face value, it's just shocking and repulsive, but as I look past that I seem to find an underlying message, a critique hidden under all that gory violence. A sort of unfortunate truth. The gratuitous violence is a caricature and the real substance of the work is hidden beneath that. I'm having a really hard time putting my thoughts into words on why I now love this video but if I had to describe this video in just two words it would be: grotesque beauty.

While I may not agree with your particular measure of this video, there is much to be said for your definition of artistic merit, and I appreciate that you've at least put a lot of thought into identifying and expressing just why you like the video.  If there's one thing I can respect, it's a well-formulated and smartly presented opinion, even if I disagree with it.  Had a good time exchanging ideas with you, and thank you for remaining civil and understanding!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

I grew up on DBZ, so this was incredibly enjoyable for me.
I stood up and cheered when Fluttershy attacked Pinkie, and i was hoping that she'd pull off a win.
But Pinkie cheated with her 4th wall powers, followed by an overpowered spirit bomb. Not cool, Pinkie.

I knew what to expect, having seen Cupcakes before.
So without the shock factor, i was able to enjoy the other aspects of the video.
The animation was fluid and solid, the flow of the video was cleverly matched with the pace of the carnage, and DBZ style fights are awesome in general.

I also noticed something about Pinkie's attack plan.
Her first two victims were instant kills, and then she slowed down to toy with Applejack.
I wonder if, had they been given time to prepare, the unicorn's magic would've rivalled Pinkie's energy blasts?
Seems like good strategy on her part if that's the case.

• Brohoof 1

Given that there was absolutely no plot and it was just pointless murder of other ponies, I found it to be rather distasteful. That's a good sign that you just might be a serial killer.

• Brohoof 2

Given that there was absolutely no plot and it was just pointless murder of other ponies, I found it to be rather distasteful. That's a good sign that you just might be a serial killer.

But there is a plot. In fact, he says it right in the description of the video (in a really half joking way), "Having her friends always laughing at her. Pinkie Pie finally decides to show them just how much she appreciate it. ♥"

It's one thing to call it tasteless, crude, or maybe even obscene, but to say it has no plot... 

i found it gruesome in the beginning, but i kinda got used to it ish near the end. i especially loved the fluttershy boss fight. it's like WHOLLY GUACAMOLE FRIJOLE COW THIS IS EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought that an andrea lib man vs andrea libman fight would be so awesome.

• Brohoof 1

It was rather tasteless but I would agree that the animation and music were really good. The guy that made this and other works like cupcakes seems to like this type of stuff.

I personally liked the animation but it was a little too gory for my liking. I only wish Pinkie Pie would've gotten her butt whipped by Fluttershy and it would've been the end.

• Brohoof 2

I actually expected an appropriate PMV, but I still wasn't disappointed. I actually received a good song and a pretty well made animation.

When the whole action started, I was rather dumbfounded, since it was the last thing I expected at that moment. (I didn't realise it was made by the same guy who made Cupcakes HD)

I must admit, that I kinda liked it, because it was such controverse to its actual origin.

I grew up on DBZ, so this was incredibly enjoyable for me.

I stood up and cheered when Fluttershy attacked Pinkie, and i was hoping that she'd pull off a win.

But Pinkie cheated with her 4th wall powers, followed by an overpowered spirit bomb. Not cool, Pinkie.

I knew what to expect, having seen Cupcakes before.

So without the shock factor, i was able to enjoy the other aspects of the video.

The animation was fluid and solid, the flow of the video was cleverly matched with the pace of the carnage, and DBZ style fights are awesome in general.

I also noticed something about Pinkie's attack plan.

Her first two victims were instant kills, and then she slowed down to toy with Applejack.

I wonder if, had they been given time to prepare, the unicorn's magic would've rivalled Pinkie's energy blasts?

Seems like good strategy on her part if that's the case.

I think it was awfully strategic of Pinkie Pie to rid of Twilight and Rarity. Maybe unicorn powers would've slowed her down a bit more.

Of course I'm more angry because Twilight, Applejack and Rarity didn't even defend themselves.

Twilight being an exception because she basically got ambushed and didn't get the chance to but Rarity and Applejack didn't even TRY to fight back.

:D  :blink:  :wacko:  :okiedokielokie:  :(   :mellow:

That was my reaction. I was like, aw, this is so adorable! at the beginning, then, well things happened and was like, what the heck?! Then I had my mouth hanging open for a while, then I had this really sick feeling, then I almost wanted to cry and when it ended I was just like, welp! That scarred me for life more than all those Creepypastas Cryaotic reads combined. Oh well.

• Brohoof 3

I didn't watch it and I don't plan to. I know it's fan content, but this is seriously bothering me. It would absolutely pain me to see my favorite ponies being killed.

Sorry for being lame, but this kind of stuff I hate with a passion and wish it stayed hidden in obscurity and not showing up everywhere.

• Brohoof 5

Let me  firstly say,

The backing track/remix is really really awesome!

The video reminds me of cupcakes and to an extent it almost suites pinkies character, I almost get the feeling she would go crazy and do something like this ><!

The video is really well animated and put together. I guess if your into gore/horror then this video would be right up your street 

Edited by Sundew
  • Brohoof 1

I have heard about this.

Mr. Davie is one of the scariest animators I know, but for the funny and unpredictable reasons.

I'll be sure to watch this sometime soon, as watching crazy stuff like this requires me to be in a good mood. ;)

Now, don't get me wrong... As this is only a implying joke, but I think those who didn't like Cupcakes, never really played Rated M games like TF2 or at least COD. :P

I seemed to like the video, sort of. I got a little disappointed when Fluttershy was close to winning, then the Bug Bang Attack...

If the planet was destroyed, would Pinkie still be alive even without the air to breathe?

To be honest, I enjoyed it. Yes, it was a little grotesque, and the horror was a little unnecessary by any standards, but as said countless times before, the animation was not painful, the sound was quite catchy and fun enough to maintain at least SOME air of Pinkie's actual character (all cute and bubbly, etc). Plus, there are plenty of things these days that are unnecessarily horrific, or gory (even common films, or games) and they are not really cared about so much. I don't see why this would be a huge problem either. Perhaps it is just people being picky, or because the pony fandom is such a huge one, there are more people to judge material. 

Even so, I found it quite fun to watch.

Edited by ~Maxwell~
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe I'm just not as sensitive as other ponies (I mean I've seen my far share of crazy situations) or it could be my Die Hard Fanaticism for DBZ, but I thought Smile HD was Possum Grade AWESOME! The Music was perfect in relation to the video, the animation was Incredibly well done, and the whole premise of Pinkie being psychotic with a Smile is original and... well... just plain Awesome! (End was Outlandish! Fluttershy 4 Life!)

• Brohoof 2

Maybe I'm just not as sensitive as other ponies (I mean I've seen my far share of crazy situations) or it could be my Die Hard Fanaticism for DBZ, but I thought Smile HD was Possum Grade AWESOME! The Music was perfect in relation to the video, the animation was Incredibly well done, and the whole premise of Pinkie being psychotic with a Smile is original and... well... just plain Awesome! (End was Outlandish! Fluttershy 4 Life!)

I have lived with my two cousins for 7 years(boys) and they love DBZ. I only watched parts of it and I thought they were awesome but I didn't really watch it from episode 1 to the last... I really should :D

I liked the song and the animation was very good. I did cheer when Fluttershy started to beat the crap out of Pinkie but besides that, let's just say I'm not a fan of Pinkie killing the rest of the mane 6 in such a gruesome fashion.

• Brohoof 2