Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Was Useless In A Canterlot Wedding

CultOfTheNorth

If all six of them were removed, then people would complain about the sub plot. Twilight was useless in a way, but it doesn't actually matter. But, he does have a point. Twilight wasn't actually useless.

Edited by Scootalove
  • Brohoof 1

So, this guy is basing his opinion on some weakly construed hypotheticals? He is really grasping at straws.

Here's an important piece of dialogue from the end of part 2. Celestia says this to Twilight:

Princess Celestia: This is your victory as much as theirs. You persisted in the face of doubt, and your actions led to your being able to bring the real Princess Cadance back to us. Learning to trust your instincts is a valuable lesson to learn.

That says it all really. Twilight, trusting her own instincts, called out Cadance for her behavior, and was then sentenced to the caves. She then found the real Cadance, who was lost and had almost given up, and Twilight courageously helped her escape - something Cadance would not have been able to do otherwise. Even if Cadance somehow knew how to escape, (which the episode does not imply in any way) she was severely weakened and would never have made it out in time, and then Chrysalis and the Changelings would have taken over. Twilight Sparkle played her part. Cadance just got the honor of finishing the job.

If anyone was useless to plot, it was probably the Mane Five. That's a much more legitimate argument and one of the main criticisms of the episode, but that's a whole different discussion. ;)

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 13

Yeah... as Sugar Cube said, I don't see how Twilight not being there would've been a good thing. If anything, it would only mean that Luna would have to save Canterlot from Chrysalis after she took it over.

As for the Mane Five being useless... not in the context of the episode. They allowed us to see how Chyrsalis was fooling everypony except for Twilight. Without them, it would be a bit harder to illustrate. Now yes, in the context of treating this as reality, the Mane Five didn't do much, except for maybe kick a bunch of Changeling tail when trying to get to the Elements.

• Brohoof 1

Probably not, she did do something and the only most useless people in MLP of all times are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

They never do anything! THEY ARE TOO USELESS!

Hey now, Celestia tried to stand up to Chrysalis! She can't help it if everypony got fooled and Chrysalis was able to build up enough power to defeat her. And Luna threw spiders in a game on Nightmare Night. You know how much work that is?!

And besides, a lot of what Luna and Celestia did is left in the past. Of course, it is kind of ridiculous how they never seem to finish off their opponents, leaving them for the Mane Six to defeat like one thousand years later, but that's besides the point.

But seriously, they have taken on more of a mentor role in the series more than anything. The series is about the Mane Six, so it makes sense that Celestia and Luna wouldn't run around doing everything. Besides, they have a kingdom to rule over and they have to worry about raising and lowering the sun and the moon. Their hooves are tied!

But... Without Twilight we would have no amazing Love is in Bloom song ;_;

Nah Twilight wasn't useless, I see how the guy in the video thinks, but even if for example, Cadence could have done those things herself, Twilight helped her. And help is useful. Plus, she filled up screen time. She needed to be at her brother's wedding, and we got to see her there = useful. Or something.

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

Hey now, Celestia tried to stand up to Chrysalis! She can't help it if everypony got fooled and Chrysalis was able to build up enough power to defeat her. And Luna threw spiders in a game on Nightmare Night. You know how much work that is?!

And besides, a lot of what Luna and Celestia did is left in the past. Of course, it is kind of ridiculous how they never seem to finish off their opponents, leaving them for the Mane Six to defeat like one thousand years later, but that's besides the point.

But seriously, they have taken on more of a mentor role in the series more than anything. The series is about the Mane Six, so it makes sense that Celestia and Luna wouldn't run around doing everything. Besides, they have a kingdom to rule over and they have to worry about raising and lowering the sun and the moon. Their hooves are tied!

Aren't they goddesses? 

Celestia was defeated in that episode which concerning Queen Chrysalis and Changelings, where the hell is Luna?

Aren't they goddesses? 

Celestia was defeated in that episode which concerning Queen Chrysalis and Changelings, where the hell is Luna?

Yes, and Chrysalis is a being that was feeding off a strong love that boosted her power, allowing her to overpower Celestia. Celestia and Luna are just Alicorns and it's been shown that other ponies can be turned into Alicorns, so even if ponies walked around calling them Goddesses, that does not make them undefeatable. Heck, Discord is a being that can bend all of reality and he was defeated, so it makes sense that Celestia and Luna are also not invincible. They even took turns imprisoning each other, Celestia imprisoning Luna in the Moon and Luna as Nightmare Moon trapping Celestia in the Sun. So I don't think their titles as rulers of Equestria makes them invincible at all.

And Luna was asleep in the morning and apparently nopony was able to get through to her. Either that, or she was too busy in another part of the Kingdom with something.

My personal theory for pro-Twilight:

Cadence was looking really worn out when Twilight found her. She was no doubt wandering around those caves for hours, if not days. That would definitely wear her down psychologically. The appearance of Twilight could have sparked a hope that (1) the wedding wasn't over, (2) Equestria could still be saved, and (3) she wouldn't die from wandering through an endless maze of caves.

It is also possible that Chrysalis trapped Cadence in a series of caves that were isolated from the exit (which is entirely plausible, if not extremely likely, considering that Cadence's escape would ruin all of Chrysalis's plans). By breaking through the wall, Twilight saved Cadence.

Yes, and Chrysalis is a being that was feeding off a strong love that boosted her power, allowing her to overpower Celestia. Celestia and Luna are just Alicorns and it's been shown that other ponies can be turned into Alicorns, so even if ponies walked around calling them Goddesses, that does not make them undefeatable. Heck, Discord is a being that can bend all of reality and he was defeated, so it makes sense that Celestia and Luna are also not invincible. They even took turns imprisoning each other, Celestia imprisoning Luna in the Moon and Luna as Nightmare Moon trapping Celestia in the Sun. So I don't think their titles as rulers of Equestria makes them invincible at all.

And Luna was asleep in the morning and apparently nopony was able to get through to her. Either that, or she was too busy in another part of the Kingdom with something.

At least, Luna should have been shown up!!! She can't be so reckless about the future of Equestria because after Chrysalis devours Crystal Empire so Equestria will be finished. Hasbro! I am so dissapointed! If Luna has shown up, the fight could have been really interesting and awesome.

Beside the storming in the Crystal Empire at that time is enough to wake Luna up because it is too loud!

At least, Luna should have been shown up!!! She can't be so reckless about the future of Equestria because after Chrysalis devours Crystal Empire so Equestria will be finished. Hasbro! I am so dissapointed! If Luna has shown up, the fight could have been really interesting and awesome.

Beside the storming in the Crystal Empire at that time is enough to wake Luna up because it is too loud!

Luna apparently has her own palace somewhere else, that's why she didn't show up. There could've been an explosion in Canterlot and she wouldn't have known unless somepony told her.

And yeah, the fight could've been more awesome... but with two Princesses against her, Chrysalis would've lost and there's the end of your episode. Then again, I guess one could argue why the heck Twilight or somepony else didn't help Celestia in the first place and gang up on Chrysalis, but who knows? Celestia did order them to retrieve the Elements, so maybe that wouldn't have worked.

Twilight broke Cadence out of her prison with her magic laser beam thingy, so she definitely wasn't useless. The mane 6 were there overall to help prepare for the wedding anyway as decreed by Celestia, so they were indeed useful for doing that at least, plus at least trying to fend off the changeling invasion.

Twilight helped give Cadence the courage to move on. Several times to be exact.

We all know the episode implies Cadence would've been lost in the caves hadn't been for Twilight. Maybe not forever but long enough for Chrysalis to do away with Canterlot.

Cadence looked like she was about to give up during the This Day Aria song. As Sugar Cube said Twilight persisted even in doubt so she was incredibly helpful.

The other five though.....I have no support.

Twilight broke Cadence out of her prison with her magic laser beam thingy, so she definitely wasn't useless. The mane 6 were there overall to help prepare for the wedding anyway as decreed by Celestia, so they were indeed useful for doing that at least, plus at least trying to fend off the changeling invasion.

after twilight made the magic blaster thing i showed that there were a few other caves in the area cadence was in if twilight was not there then what would happen, cadence could "Find a way out but it may or may not take a while". i also said that the mane six are interchangeable parts, if they were to not exist then someone else would fill the role. its like a plumber, some may be better then others but they can do close to the same things. they also fail at fending off the changelings.

Well I don't think Twilight was useless. I mean without her, Cadence would have still remained in the caves beneath Canterlot. Queen Chrysalis would have taken the throne. And then Equestria would have been under the reign of a tyrannical leader. So you have to give Twilight a hooves up for her judgement call. I mean without it the fate of Equestria would be uncertain.

Probably not, she did do something and the only most useless people in MLP of all times are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna.

They never do anything! THEY ARE TOO USELESS!

post-9686-0-22128800-1378871987_thumb.jpg

Celestia is most certainly useful. Precisely what we need in real life. What she does is prevent anyone from imposing their will on the masses. If she wasn't there, someone else would create a government, and most likely end up with the corrupt monsters we have in real life. And she's been having Twilight handle all the national crises since the beginning of the series as her princess training. It was a break of that engagement for her to admit that the changeling situation was beyond Twilight's ability to handle and intervene (also possibly a way of apologizing to Twilight for doubting her).

As for Luna, I think she's doing quite well for having missed out on 1000 years. Although apparently she does need someone to wake her up incase of emergencies.

Anyway, now that I'm done defending the wonderful princesses, I don't think Twilight was useless at all either. She alerted Celestia to the possibility that Cadence was a fake, therefore making it clear what was going on when the real Cadence arrived. And as discussed in this thread, Cadence was probably down in those caves for up to a week, and on the verge of starving to death. If she was going to escape on her own, it would have happened by then. She probably only made another go at it because Twilight gave her a bit of hope.

And maybe the gunk remover spell requires aiming your horn at it, which Cadence couldn't reach? Or maybe she was too weak to cast it at that point. Presumably Chrysalis had reason to believe it would hold her.

But all that aside, isn't it kind of cool to have an episode that's not all about the main characters?

• Brohoof 1

About the only thing any of this proves is that it's a weak episode, not well thought out, and with many plot holes, but a lot of episodes are those things-even great ones. Critical analysis, world building, etc. are fun and enjoyable, but there comes a point where you can't out think the writers, or fix any perceived mistakes. It's "in the can" so-to-speak and you have to either find some enjoyment, or cross it off the list and move on.

Edited by Nature Spell

If you really wanna be a pedantic nuisance about it, many characters are useless in many episodes. Shall we make a list of all the ways everyone sucks in each episode?

In the comments of this video NUDEandCONFUSED said "I would say this video is more of a "How things couldve worked out without twilight" not really an explanation of how she was useless. You point of things she did, but ways it couldve worked out if she didnt do them. Twilight may not have been necessary in a canterlot wedding would be more fitting. Also, ya im biased, see profile pick ;p" and im going to have to agree with him

Phoenix-Wright-OBJECTION-MLP-style-my-li

Princess Cadence was clearly trapped in a cavern with no way out.  She was only able to get out because Twilight blasted away one of the walls.

"Oh but Celestia--"

Couldn't do anything when things didn't go according to Chrysalis' plan.  I love how people say "Chrysalis didn't have a plan for Celestia" when her confrontation with Celestia wasn't part of her plan.  Her plan was to wait until her army broke the force field and likely take out Celestia while she was fighting the changelings.  She didn't plan on Twilight escaping from the caves, let alone finding the authentic Cadence.  That is what ruined everything.

• Brohoof 3

Princess Cadence was clearly trapped in a cavern with no way out.  She was only able to get out because Twilight blasted away one of the walls.

Dang it, your "Objection!" image is cooler than mine :blush:

Good point about Twilight blasting the wall. It hadn't occurred to me that Cadence might have been be fully sealed into a small space that whole time :( And then she starves herself again in the very next episode, Crystal Empire. No wonder she's so skinny :blink:

• Brohoof 1