Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Doctor Whooves episode in season 4

BlueVeil

Since season 4 is coming along (still a long wait..) I think it would be great to have a Doctor Whooves related episode, think of all the potential they can do with this, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wants this to be made

• Brohoof 2

What kind of episode could they do with him that they couldn't do with any character? I don't think there is a need to give any background pony an episode just because of the brony community wants it.

• Brohoof 3

Because he's a background pony and not an actual "important" character, I don't think they'll ever do this.  No other background character has ever had any real focus in an episode before, and it might disrupt the storyline of the show.

Now...  what I think should happen (which would be really cool, in my opinion, but I'm not sure if others would agree) is that the current show MLP:FiM should end after season 4, BUT...  there should be another show after it, where Twilight is the main princess, rather than Celestia, and a new selection of "mane" characters is picked out, either from the background ponies (which would be the coolest option, in my opinion) or just new characters altogether (which would be less awesome, but still okay), and they could be the ones writing their letters to Twilight about what they've learned.

If Doctor Hooves were one of those characters, that would totally rock.  o3o

• Brohoof 2

I don't really see them making a, Doctor Whooves, based episode or any episode based around a background character. For one it would just be weird if a TARDIS just, showed up. Also the only people who would like it are us and any Doctor Who fans. Younger viewers just would not understand it that well. 

• Brohoof 2

Doctor Whooves is the result of a character with an hourglass cutie mark. There may be an episode involving this character, but because Doctor Whooves is a fan creation, it is unlikely that there will be a Doctor Whooves episode. There may be an episode where the actual character gets a larger role, or an episode with a Doctor Who/Doctor Whooves reference.

This is the character that spawned the Doctor Whooves thing.

Because he's a background pony and not an actual "important" character, I don't think they'll ever do this.  No other background character has ever had any real focus in an episode before, and it might disrupt the storyline of the show.

Now...  what I think should happen (which would be really cool, in my opinion, but I'm not sure if others would agree) is that the current show MLP:FiM should end after season 4, BUT...  there should be another show after it, where Twilight is the main princess, rather than Celestia, and a new selection of "mane" characters is picked out, either from the background ponies (which would be the coolest option, in my opinion) or just new characters altogether (which would be less awesome, but still okay), and they could be the ones writing their letters to Twilight about what they've learned.

If Doctor Hooves were one of those characters, that would totally rock.  o3o

I would totally NOT be cool with them replacing the mane six. That... That would be the true death of the show, and I'm not one of the dramatic doomasayers even.

• Brohoof 4

Unlikely, but not for the reasons stated above. If they were to do anything with the background ponies, what you'll see with Doctor Whooves won't be what you want. Too many trademark and copyright issues as BBC and Hasbro both have very similar ideas on how to protect their IP. In order to have Doctor Whooves show up as the fans understand it, it would have to be done as a parody and MLP:FiM isn't really a parody show.

What *might* happen, is that since the 50th Aniversary for Doctor Who is this year, we might see various incarnations of Doctor Whooves in the background more often. Possibly ponified versions of all the Doctors separately running past at different times to give the impression that they're busy dealing with something the mane 6 are *not* involved with.

• Brohoof 2

Who knows? Maaaaaybe we can get a TARDIS-looking thing in the background. Or maybe he can have a song. I heard Vinyl Scratch is gonna have a song, so why not him? (I actually don't know if the Vinyl song is true or not. :P )

To be honest any episode focusing on the background ponies would be fan pandering. That may or may not be a good idea considering the characters they already have to work with.Then again we've seen other shows having an episode that didn't focus on the main characters.

It would be different if the mane 6 interacted with a background pony and that pony kind of hangs around for the duration of the episode. Then I think it would be fine.

Edited by Ember The Dragoness

Even if Dr. Whooves got an episode, it would kill the fandom's opinion of him as being the Doctor. Because he'd be featured as Time Turner, wouldn't he? And I doubt copyright law would allow him to be portrayed canonically as we have decided he must be.

I don't really picture Doctor Whooves getting an episode.

Now I can see Vinyl/Octavia getting an episode, who cares if it's a blatant nod to the Brony community. It's still ponies and face it 90 percent of us would love to see that happen.

To be honest any episode focusing on the background ponies would be fan pandering. That may or may not be a good idea considering the characters they already have to work with.Then again we've seen other shows having an episode that didn't focus on the main characters.

I don't think a Vinyl episode would really be fan pandering, or a blatant nod. I mean, Vinyl's important enough to get cameos an various episodes as "DJ PON-3". You know, she appeared in cameo appearances in Suited for Success, Canterlot Wedding P2 and Magical Mystery Cure, and in no easily missed ways either. She was always the first pony you saw in any scene she was in. And to get several appearances in Equestria Girls, whether as a DJ or as someone directly interacting with the Mane Six, as seen in the Cafeteria Song.

Seems like the perfect level of involvement to get an episode. May I remind you that there are other background ponies who have gotten important roles in the show, if not full episodes. I mean, for all we knew, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were background ponies before they were given more important roles in Call of the Cutie.

There's also the fact that she's been featured in several comics, although that's slightly less relevant.

I guess my point is that Vinyl has a far greater chance of getting an episode than, say, Dr. Whooves or Tavi, considering how many more times Hasbro and the writers acknowledge her existence in a consistent manner, compared to the other two. Dr. Whooves seems to truly be just a background pony, considering that there are two other ponies that share his design and color scheme, while having small differences like that of cutie mark or wings. The writers didn't seem too chuffed to keep that consistent. And Tavi, who appears in the Gala and in Sweet and Elite, and only really gets any screen time in the former of the two. And that's not counting her recolor Fiddlesticks.

Unlike many other background ponies, Vinyl is consistently, and somewhat prominently, portrayed. And that's why I think she'd be the most likely of the lot to get an episode.

Edited by Descant
  • Brohoof 2

BBC would never allow that to happen, no matter how awesome, and if they did make a background pony episode, it'll probably be Vinyl and Octavia.

What would the logistics of this even be? Would it be a legit Doctor Who story with horses, because something tells me the average kid watching the show here in America would not understand the sudden influx of Daleks and shit.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

I don't think a Vinyl episode would really be fan pandering, or a blatant nod. I mean, Vinyl's important enough to get cameos an various episodes as "DJ PON-3". You know, she appeared in cameo appearances in Suited for Success, Canterlot Wedding P2 and Magical Mystery Cure, and in no easily missed ways either. She was always the first pony you saw in any scene she was in. And to get several appearances in Equestria Girls, whether as a DJ or as someone directly interacting with the Mane Six, as seen in the Cafeteria Song.

Seems like the perfect level of involvement to get an episode. May I remind you that there are other background ponies who have gotten important roles in the show, if not full episodes. I mean, for all we knew, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were background ponies before they were given more important roles in Call of the Cutie.

There's also the fact that she's been featured in several comics, although that's slightly less relevant.

I guess my point is that Vinyl has a far greater chance of getting an episode than, say, Dr. Whooves or Tavi, considering how many more times Hasbro and the writers acknowledge her existence in a consistent manner, compared to the other two. Dr. Whooves seems to truly be just a background pony, considering that there are two other ponies that share his design and color scheme, while having small differences like that of cutie mark or wings. The writers didn't seem too chuffed to keep that consistent. And Tavi, who appears in the Gala and in Sweet and Elite, and only really gets any screen time in the former of the two. And that's not counting her recolor Fiddlesticks.

Unlike many other background ponies, Vinyl is consistently, and somewhat prominently, portrayed. And that's why I think she'd be the most likely of the lot to get an episode.

Well most Vinyl Scratch appearances are just cameos and she's not on the screen for long. Those types of "fan pandering" is something I'm okay with. It's those small features of her that makes her developed and loved by the community outside the show much like how Derpy was/is.

The problem with giving Vinyl and episode would be mostly based on fan pandering meaning the writers of the show would basically take our idea of how Vinyl Scratch acts and thinks without adding any of thier own ideas. This would make the episode rather boring and predictable to fans who know her well and you see this is why I disagree about episodes featuring background ponies.

Edited by Ember The Dragoness

The problem with giving Vinyl and episode would be mostly based on fan pandering meaning the writers of the show would basically take our idea of how Vinyl Scratch acts and thinks without adding any of thier own ideas.

Pretty much. If we had an absolute guarantee that the characterizations would be a bit more developed than muffins and wubs, I'd be cool with it.

I would totally NOT be cool with them replacing the mane six. That... That would be the true death of the show, and I'm not one of the dramatic doomasayers even.

I meant for a completely new show, not for Friendship is Magic.  I don't want to see any background ponies getting their own special episodes in Friendship is Magic, because then they would be taking away the attention from the Mane Six, which would be...  pretty much pointless.  

However, if there were a spin-off show for the "Background Six" (Doctor Hooves, Vinyl Scratch, Derpy Hooves, Octavia, Bon Bon, and Lyra), I would love that very much.  It would be awesome.  >3<

I meant for a completely new show, not for Friendship is Magic.  I don't want to see any background ponies getting their own special episodes in Friendship is Magic, because then they would be taking away the attention from the Mane Six, which would be...  pretty much pointless.  

However, if there were a spin-off show for the "Background Six" (Doctor Hooves, Vinyl Scratch, Derpy Hooves, Octavia, Bon Bon, and Lyra), I would love that very much.  It would be awesome.  >3<

I know. And I'm saying I'm very, very strongly against ending FiM after the 4th season and making a new TV show. That would just be an obvious money grab.

I know. And I'm saying I'm very, very strongly against ending FiM after the 4th season and making a new TV show. That would just be an obvious money grab.

Right, because sequel and spin-off series are *so* obvious money grabs. Like Star Trek: The Next Generation, Sarah Jane Adventures, Blackadder goes Forth, Legend of Korra, Batman Beyond.... Nothing there but money grabs.

Not to mention My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. An obvious money grab sequel to My Little Pony 'n Friends!

>_>

• Brohoof 1

Right, because sequel and spin-off series are *so* obvious money grabs. Like Star Trek: The Next Generation, Sarah Jane Adventures, Blackadder goes Forth, Legend of Korra, Batman Beyond.... Nothing there but money grabs.

Not to mention My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. An obvious money grab sequel to My Little Pony 'n Friends!

>_>

The point of My Little Pony is to sell toys, unlike most of them which are entirely driven by the TV show. They made Equestria Girls to promote a new line of toys. If they ever made a show with an entirely new mane six than it would probably be for the same purpose. Just like every other MLP show. There's a chance that it would turn out good, but if they really just replaced the mane six and kept the same premise than it probably wouldn't. 

There is no need  for them to end the show at Season 4 and make a completely new TV show.

• Brohoof 1

The point of My Little Pony is to sell toys, unlike most of them which are entirely driven by the TV show. They made Equestria Girls to promote a new line of toys. If they ever made a show with an entirely new mane six than it would probably be for the same purpose. Just like every other MLP show. There's a chance that it would turn out good, but if they really just replaced the mane six and kept the same premise than it probably wouldn't. 

There is no need  for them to end the show at Season 4 and make a completely new TV show.

Actually, all the ones I mentioned *were* money-grabs. That's why I picked them specifically. They were all made to cash in on the fandoms that had sprung around the franchises, and the owners of the various IPs had no other reason. Toys, comics, advertising revenue, whatever, they were made because the IP owners believed there was a market to exploit. The fact that those series had at least some quality had nothing to do with the IP owners need to make money, but had more to do with the creative teams involved.

Honestly, if they don't do something different with Season 4 and on, then yes they will in fact need to kill off the series and do a new one with a new creative team in control. Hasbro's track record is that they don't like changing characters. They want to introduce new ones. Princess Twilight is an aberration, looking at prior stuff Hasbro's been in control of. If DHX can't convince Hasbro to loosen the straps and allow the characters to mature and change (using the 'success' of Princess Twilight and Equestria Girls, if they do turn out to be successes as marketing tools, as leverage) then the show is going to get stale and boring really quickly. There's only so many stories you can tell when the characters reset back to state zero at the end of each story. With DVDs and on-demand streaming, there's no point in watching an episode that is a rehash of a prior story when you can just watch the original episode.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, all the ones I mentioned *were* money-grabs. That's why I picked them specifically. They were all made to cash in on the fandoms that had sprung around the franchises, and the owners of the various IPs had no other reason. Toys, comics, advertising revenue, whatever, they were made because the IP owners believed there was a market to exploit. The fact that those series had at least some quality had nothing to do with the IP owners need to make money, but had more to do with the creative teams involved.

Honestly, if they don't do something different with Season 4 and on, then yes they will in fact need to kill off the series and do a new one with a new creative team in control. Hasbro's track record is that they don't like changing characters. They want to introduce new ones. Princess Twilight is an aberration, looking at prior stuff Hasbro's been in control of. If DHX can't convince Hasbro to loosen the straps and allow the characters to mature and change (using the 'success' of Princess Twilight and Equestria Girls, if they do turn out to be successes as marketing tools, as leverage) then the show is going to get stale and boring really quickly. There's only so many stories you can tell when the characters reset back to state zero at the end of each story. With DVDs and on-demand streaming, there's no point in watching an episode that is a rehash of a prior story when you can just watch the original episode.

Well everything in life is pretty much a money grab but some less than others. The shows you listed weren't promoting toy counterparts, like FiM is. Hasbro's focus is the toys, and that's the only reason why they'd make a new show after only 4 Seasons. FiM and its characters still have lots of battery left in them.

Anyway, it's not going to go stale. The Simpson's has been going of for 24 Seasons. Star Trek: The Next Generation went on for 7 Seasons. Family Guy has been going on for 11 Seasons. American Dad! has been going on for 9 Seasons. All of them use the same cartoon template as Friendship is magic.

Well everything in life is pretty much a money grab but some less than others. The shows you listed weren't promoting toy counterparts, like FiM is. Hasbro's focus is the toys, and that's the only reason why they'd make a new show after only 4 Seasons. FiM and its characters still have lots of battery left in them.

Anyway, it's not going to go stale. The Simpson's has been going of for 24 Seasons. Star Trek: The Next Generation went on for 7 Seasons. Family Guy has been going on for 11 Seasons. American Dad! has been going on for 9 Seasons. All of them use the same cartoon template as Friendship is magic.

Star Trek: The Next Generation changed considerable over the years of it's broadcast with characters maturing, being added, and removed over time. The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad! flared out years and years ago, and are only alive now due to inertia and the broadcasters wanting to eek out every last cent from the franchise. I wouldn't wish that fate on any show.

Yes, the DHX staff can last until the end of Season 6 coasting on what they've already done. But if they want to keep going after that point, they need to set the precedents now rather than waiting for Season 7. Once that milestone has been reached, they will have doubled what any prior MLP series had ever done, and I believe what any other Hasbro property ever reached under a single studio. Previously Hasbro shops around after 65 episodes in an effort to lower their expenses, switching to lower-cost studio with new (and cheaper) VAs, writers, and whatnot. If, however, DHX can point back at what they've *already* done to set up for continuing sustainability, without a huge increase in expenses over time (Especially if there are some built-in benefits to Hasbro with regards to their toy line being refreshed similarly with minimal outlay on their part.) then Hasbro could be convinced to keep going.

If however, DHX waits and holds all this stuff for a theoretical Season 7, in their collective minds Hasbro has no real reason to *not* switch studios, which they have done so successfully (from their perspective) in the past. It'd be G4.5, or G5, depending.

DHX/Hub/Hasbro has the opportunity to break the Toy Show Generation tradition here, and move MLP into updating with smaller increments, a G4.1 (or even better G4.01) allowing for a more long-term sustainable business that does not have the risks that were instrumental in the MLP G2 disaster. Change is going to happen, one way or another. Doing smaller changes slowly over time will be a lot less shocking to the fanbase, Hasbro investors, and all other interested parties. Yes, there will be blowback, because a number of vocal bronies get seriously bent out of shape on a regular basis, but honestly that's going to happen anyway.

I honestly can't see that happening without a big stink being created with BBC. Doctor Who belongs to them and if I'm correctly understanding what you are saying; You want a doctor whooves episode. An episode about a fan named pony who is supposedly the doctor from Doctor Who.

...So yeah that's probably not going to happen unless Hasbro/Hub gets permission.

Plus, the show isn't about him so that's another reason why that wouldn't happen.