Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Recommend a book!

Iridian

I agree.  Have you heard about the sequel coming out?  It looks really good so I'm excited for its release.  I can't remember the title though.

Yes! I am super excited about the sequel. It's called Hollow City, according to wikipedia. I'll be trying to get my hands on it once it comes out. The movie though, I'm not so sure how I feel about one being made, they always tend to muck it up.

Yes! I am super excited about the sequel. It's called Hollow City, according to wikipedia. I'll be trying to get my hands on it once it comes out. The movie though, I'm not so sure how I feel about one being made, they always tend to muck it up.

Really?  There's going to be a movie.  -_-  I am not amused.  I'm getting sick of the "Let's Make a Movie" bandwagon.  Some books don't need a movie.

Really?  There's going to be a movie.   -_-  I am not amused.  I'm getting sick of the "Let's Make a Movie" bandwagon.  Some books don't need a movie.

I agree, as much as I enjoy Movies of the Book sort of thing. It's not a book that really needs one, to be honest! But luckily, there's only talk about one, no definitive word just yet.

Herbert West - Reanimator or Under the Pyramids

Good picks, mine would probably be a tie beteween Mountains of madness and Rats in the walls.

every single character is so well developed.

Actually, a lot of the supporting cast is pretty one-note. Not saying the books aren't fantastic, they're just not what I'd call high literature.

The Book Thief By Markus Zusak. I'm not a big fan of historical fiction but this was purely beautiful.

A thousand times yes. Also got my 3rd favourite literary version of Death in it.

Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I warn that you never see the movie for is was purely horrible. Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)

Great book. I thought the casting in the movie was pretty good (didn't help much though).

Have you read The Flowing Queen?

The Dresden Files is one of my favorite series. The books combine seriousness and humor quite well. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next in the series.

I've been meaning to get into this series. Could you give me a rundown of the setting? Edited by Silverwisp the Bard

As for many people who want to improve their GPA grade. I recommend the book called....

Wait for it!

THE BIBLE.

Reason: Because this book provides you all the rules to play the long-soitaire of life. I am not being religious but the book has influenced almost all the human literature works. Everything was almost influenced by just this single book and it has tranformed the world today as we know, if you want to know how did it do it? Read this book, many people in the world today even risking their lives to read this holy book. The book also preaches the life message of freedom and morality, it is the best book you can read when you facing life-dangerous problems or hopeless moments in life. If you are a writer or a historian, you must read this book because it provides you with many historical figures, characters and allusions which is to use in Western literature.

The second book is The Silmarillion

If you are the fans of Lord of the Rings, you can not miss this book because it told everything you don't understand in the Lord of the Rings. This book will provide all the knowledge you need about the Middle Earth before Sauron and his Ring.

The tales of The Silmarillion were the underlying inspiration and source of J.R.R. Tolkien's imaginative writing; he worked on the book throughout his life but never brought it to a final form. Long preceding in its origins The Lord of the Rings, it is the story of the First Age of Tolkien's world, the ancient drama to which characters in The Lord of the Rings look back and in which some of them, such as Elrond and Galadriel, took part.

The title Silmarillion is shortened from Quenta Silmarillion, "The History of the Silmarils," the three great jewels created by Feanor, most gifted of the Elves, in which he imprisoned the light of the Two Trees that illumined Valinor, the land of the gods. When Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, destroyed the Trees, that light lived on only in the Silmarils; Morgoth seized them and set them in his crown, guarded in the impenetrable fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth. The Silmarillion is the history of the rebellion of Feanor and his people against the gods, their exile in Middle-earth, and their war, hopeless despite all the heroisim of Elves and Men, against the great Enemy.

The book includes several other, shorter works beside The Silmarillion proper. Preceding it are "Ainulindale," the myth of Creation, and "Valaquenta," in which the nature and powers of each of the gods is set forth. After The Silmarillion is "Akallabeth," the story of the downfall of the great island kingdom of Numenor at the end of the Second Age; completing the volume is "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age," in which the events of The Lord of the Rings are treated in the manner of The Silmarillion.

This new edition of The Silmarillion contains the revised and corrected "second edition" text and, by way of introduction, a letter written by J.R.R. Tolkien in 1951, which provides a brilliant exposition of his conception of the earlier Ages. It also contains almost fifty full-color illustrations by the artist Ted Nasmith, many of which appear for the first time.(less)

The Third book i want to recommend is Eragon the Inheritance Cycle

When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself. 

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands.(less)

That book was simply amazing to me but i don't like the ending much; this book is worthy to be read.

Good picks, mine would probably be a tie beteween Mountains of madness and Rats in the walls.

Actually, a lot of the supporting cast is pretty one-note. Not saying the books aren't fantastic, they're just not what I'd call high literature.

A thousand times yes. Also got my 3rd favourite literary version of Death in it.

Great book. I thought the casting in the movie was pretty good (didn't help much though).

Have you read The Flowing Queen?

I've been meaning to get into this series. Could you give me a rundown of the setting?

The Dresden Files is set in modern times in Chicago. The main character, Harry Dresden, is a wizard who works as a private detective. The story starts pretty simple, but gets more and more complicated as it goes. So far, there are 14 novels and an anthology and they can be as funny as they are serious.

dragonlance!
all of them, its a D&D book.
well if you're into fantasy and long parts when little things happens. but it will all lead up to something big, i really enjoy it and at least think its worth a try

Oh man! A thread where I can ramble about awesome books! /)^3^( so...AWESOME!

I have tons of good books to recommend, most being fantasy, and now that I think about it a lot of them will have been recommended already. Let me just give you some of the more obscure ones

1. The Tunnels Series

A series of four books (apparently there's a book 5 but I can't find it anywhere) about a subterranean world under the earth in which a kid goes looking for his missing father. Something happens, somehow Nazi's get there blah blah blah it's awesome. Read it, read it now...

2. The Pendragon Adventure

Oh damn! Pendragon! A ten book long fantasy series following Bobby Pendragon as he hops through the magical flumes between worlds on a mission to stop Saint Dane from harnessing the power of Halla to take over all of creation. This series is gripping and also very long (which I love biggrin.png) and is a great read for anyone.

3. The Newsflesh Trilogy

Oh...yes... Featuring the trilogy that features my favorite book of all time (the first one). Obviously a series of three books detailing the adventures of a team of bloggers in the zombie apocalypse who blow the cover off of a giant conspiracy involving cloning and a rogue government organization. Filled with action and heaped full of dead main characters these books will blow you away. 

So Yeah! I had more but I assumed people had already put them.

Harry Potter, A Song of Ice and Fire, The Lord of the Rings, Percy Jackson Series

Edited by NocturnalRainbow

If you enjoy science fiction, satire, complete randomness, and/or books about Earth being destroyed to make way for an intergalactic highway, then you'll love The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

post-9851-0-47639200-1380139365_thumb.jpg

Seriously, there haven't been many books that have had me, literally, laughing out loud... but this is one of the few that has. At least read the first novel, and if you like that, there's more where that came from.

I don't really know how to explain everything that happens in the novel, but I'll give you a little snippet to let you know what you're in for: There's a part where the main characters are riding in a spaceship that runs on "infinite improbability" - when they attempt to dodge a rocket flying at them, the ship's "improbability calculator" created a situation that resulted in "the breakage of three coffee cups and a mouse cage, the bruising of somebody's upper arm, and the untimely creation and sudden demise of a bowl of petunias and an innocent sperm whale".

If that doesn't convince you to read this book, I don't know what will. laugh.png

Edited by TheTEChguy27

• 10 months later...

While the ponies from the show eat cupcakes and throw parties, life of real horses and ponies ain’t as cheerful and optimistic. And here’s a book ’bout it written in style of autobiography of a horse, I reckon y’all know this one.

Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

post-26154-0-03342600-1407000901_thumb.jpg

Its author was bedridden for her entire life due to childhood trauma, and it was her only one and last book. Moreover, she suffered from another disease during her work on this book. I wonder how much strengths and will does it take, to keep writing even in such situation. It took about 7 years and she died soon after this book was finally published. It seems like she was temporary immortal just like me.

This is the story of a titled horse named Black Beauty, told by himself. For first he was happy with his first owner, among his friends- mare Ginger, pony Merrylegs, and some people. But several years later he was sold, and then sold again, and again, and again. Some owners treated him well and some ones were bad. He made several friends and lost them all one by one; until, after all the trials, he finally found his last home.

The book also brings up the topic of ethical treatment to horses. Perhaps there is no domestic animal as helpful to humans as horses, but people treat them bad more often than dogs or cats. There is still many people who think that dogs and cats are friends while horses are no more than livestock. Since publishing of this book many things have been changed, including humans’ treatment to the horses. But there is still a lot of cruelty and unfairness towards horses so this book doesn’t lose its topicality today.

This book is very special to me since the story of this horse is rather similar to mine. Maybe someday I will write ’bout it at greater length. Now I must say, this story was written in XIX century so it’s free to downloading. You can get it on OpenLibrary and even get it to your Kindle there. It also has at least 5 screenings, I think most awesome of them is this one.

Smiles mischievously, I recommend the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers, and then once you have I recommend her science fiction book called The Host.

With this then compare the two and see how her skills as a writer has improved.

Laughs, I expect anger... especially from those that have seen and hated the movies but while I will admit she is not the best writer I have read and took enjoyment from her books.

Also, who cares if her vampires sparkle. So what?!! It is not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

Steps out of the thread before all hell breaks loose.

• Brohoof 1

I recommend: Twixt by Sarah Diemer

28v7qyg.jpg

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy

Official Description:

You wake upon the cold ground. As you struggle to rise, as your breath exhales like a ghost, you know only two things: You can’t remember who you are. And you’re being hunted.

No one sleeps in Abeo City. The lost souls gather indoors at night as Snatchers tear through the sky on black-feathered wings, stalking them. But inside the rotting walls of the Safe Houses comes a quieter, creeping danger. The people of Abeo City have forgotten their pasts, and they can trade locks of their hair to sinister women known only as the Sixers for an addictive drug. Nox will give you back a single memory--for a price.

Like the other lost souls, Lottie wakens in this harsh landscape and runs in terror from the Snatchers. But she soon comes to realize that she is not at all like the people of Abeo City. When she takes Nox, her memories remain a mystery, and the monsters who fill the sky at night refuse to snatch her. Trying to understand who she is, and how she ended up in such a hopeless place, Lottie bands together with other outcasts, including a brave and lovely girl named Charlie. In the darkness, and despite the threat of a monstrous end, love begins to grow. But as Lottie and Charlie plot their escape from Abeo City, Lottie’s dark secrets begin to surface, along with the disturbing truth about Twixt: a truth that could cost her everything.

My Comments: I just finished this book, and it was amazing. I didn't want to put it down. Diemer's writing style is beautiful, painting vivid pictures in my mind and making me feel emotions right along with the characters. This is a book where two young women fall in love with each other, but the romance is not a focus of the book, nor is their sexual orientation treated as a controversy in the book - the romance is treated as naturally as the ones between men and women (which I thought was really refreshing!). The focus of the story is the mystery of Abeo City and who the protagonist, Lottie, was in her past life. The story is so compelling... I can't really say more without giving everything away... IT'S SO GOOD THOUGH. READ IT. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer a book with good characterization and appropriate mood [like FiM)

Plots are over-rated unless the twists are especially delicious.

I prefer fewer pages focused on violence or sex.

I dislike purple prose; any advice?

• Brohoof 1

I like the hunger games books there good read well if your in to that kind of thing that is.

Quite good, but I've read them already.  Thanks for the advice!

I'm tempted to sell kleenex for 10$ a box at a movie theater for the last movie.  I won't, but it's tempting

• Brohoof 1

I have a thing for historical fiction because I love Anne Boleyn and personally, I would recommend The Other Boleyn Girl. It's a great read with lots of good, historical detail. The only thing I don't like is that Anne is made out to be the bad guy, but if you ignore that, it's really good. There are mentions of sex, but it's not explicit.

I would also recommend Lady Macbeth by Susan Fraser King. It follows the actual history of Macbeth, not the play and tells the story of Lady Macbeth before she became queen and afterwards. Again, it's really good and well-researched and the Lady's character is well-done and I think her stubborn personality fits her really well. (The play is my favourite, and I always imagined her as the strong, stubborn type.)

Finally, if you're looking for something more light-hearted, I enjoyed Nora Roberts' The Bride Quartet series. It consist of four books about four friends who run a wedding planning business. Some of it is a little cheesy and unrealistic, but, like I said, it is a bit more light-hearted and fun. Now, there are two sex scenes per book, but they're not really explicit, she uses a lot of metaphors and describes feelings more so than actions.

Edited by LostButterflyUtau

As someone who doesn't read often: Redwall or Castaways of the Flying Dutchman. Both series' by the same author. Brian Jacques was very good at cryptic puzzles, humbling banquets and daring adventure...all in the same book. :lol:

Once you read the books in the Redwall series and get more familiar with the world (as they all take place in the same general area over several centuries) you tend to gain a sense of familiarity whenever you start a new book that helps bolster your emotions and ability to become attached to the characters. You recognize things from past books, you'll meet characters in several stages of their lives and hear tales of their conquests when a book takes place long after they've passed.

So much :wub:

I'm really sad that the author passed a way a few years ago. His books were god-tier. Few stories could ever grab me like Redwall.

Well, if you enjoy FiM you will most certainly have to check out the journal of the two sisters. It is a rather light read, but it covers a good little portion of the royal sisters early lives and does cover the fact of it they are born alicorns or not. It is however a very light read, so it will not take up much time.

For some light fantasy I would recamend the Drizzet series. It may have a bit more of a focus on violence, but it incredibly well written and hailed as some of the best written fantasy. I would start with the first novel (Sojourn) and go from there. They are incredibly well written, with amazing characters and a very well done fantasy setting. I would recamend the Drizzet series.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is a text I originally had to read in school, but it is probably one of the most enjoyable stories I had to read and analyze.

Damien by Hermann Hesse on the surface is one I shouldn't have liked, but after giving it a read I did find myself drawn in by the protagonist and the events that drives him throughout his life.

• Brohoof 2

I read the book 'Art of Racing In The Rain' by Garth Stein in high school.

I tell you, it is the best book I've ever read to date.

It's about a man and the friendship between him and his dog.

The story is told from the dog's point if view, and it is truly a beautiful story.

I highly recommend it.

(I know that everyone says that, but I REALLY do recommend this one).

Edited by Royal Samurott

Hey there, @paradoxical. There was already a thread in existence for sharing book recommendations, so I have merged yours into it. Please make sure to search the forums before posting a new topic to ensure that it doesn't already exist.

Additionally, discussions regarding books or any other aspect of the media fit best in Media Discussion as opposed to General Discussion. Just letting you know for future reference, as you had originally posted your topic in General Discussion.

I recommend the book Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut for mature audiences (ages 16/17+). I read it last school year for an independent novel project, and it was a fascinating novel. 

It incorporates a lot of disturbing material, violence, and other adult content. It is also a very melancholy and pessimistic book. However, it forces you to think about the evils of war and violence. It forces you to go beyond what's depicted in hollywood movies and see what real war is actually like. 

While I wouldn't call it an entertaining read, I certainly found it to be worthwhile morally and intellectually.