Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokémon - Which generation was the best?

~Chaotic Eddie~

Pokemon - which is the best generation?  

45 users have voted

1. 1. Which has the best gameplay?

• Red/Blue/Yellow (FireRed/LeafGreen)
    • Gold/Silver/Crystal (HeartGold/SoulSilver)
    • Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • Black/White/Black 2/White 2
    • X/Y
  2. 2. Which has the best story?

• Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • X/Y
  3. 3. Which has the best music?

• Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • X/Y
  4. 4. Which had the best Pokémon (as in Pokémon introduced with that generation)

• Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • X/Y
  5. 5. Overall, which generation(s) were the best?

• Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    • X/Y

Quite simply, which generation of Pokémon do you think is the best one, in terms of story, gameplay, music and new Pokémon? For me, it'd have to be a tie between generations 3 and 5. 

(I included X and Y for when it comes out in October)

Edited by Eddy

The first generations is overrated as fuck and wasn't even that good.

But anyway, here we go:

Best Gameplay - Even though X/Y isn't out yet, it appears to have the best gameplay.

Best Story - I'm honestly tempted to say Black/Black 2/White/White 2...I have yet to beat those games and while I'm only an hour or two in, and I know the basic storyline, they have the best, in my opinion.

Best Music - I don't really pay attention to the music, so I don't think I can answer this. I liked some of the music in Black/White, but I haven't heard all of it, so it wouldn't be fair for me to pick one.

Best Pokemon - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum ...Some of my all time favorite Pokemon are there, such as: Lucario, Glaceon, Weavile, Piplup, Infernape, Shaymin, and so on...

Best Overall - I'm tempted to say Black/White/Black 2/White 2...I just hope that X/Y will be good. Based off my choices, Black/White would be the best, but I'm a little unsure on it. 

(Before anyone says, "OH, YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED THE OLD ONES, BECAUSE THEY'RE AMAZING!!!!!!"...Actually, I own Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver all on original gameboy and I didn't like any of them.)

Edited by WheatleyCore

Gen 3 all the way for me. I give the first two generations props, they are great games in their own right and my childhood consisted of hours upon hours of grinding through Blue and Silver/Crystal versions; but the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald era simply blew them out of the water, and attained a peak in perfection that has not been reached since.

• Brohoof 1

While I don't say it was the "Best", gen 2 was my favorite, probably because it was the first Pokemon game I played. Nostalgia and all that. (Also I accidentally clicked x/y for best story instead of Black and White.)

Edited by Brosparkles

I think my overall favorite here would be Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald and then Emerald in particular. 

Of course I give the "original" it's fair share of praise, being the one who introduced us to the wonderful world but I can surely say that it is not the one I see as best. From what i have seen and heard, it's a pretty flawed experience and there are a lot of bugs, etc.  

So yeah, I think Emerald would be my overall favorite game :)

I still can't believe they named a pokemon game X and Y...How original.

OMG they used Colors when they named Red and Green,... How original derpy_emoticon2.png  Gamefreak, i am disappoint tongue.png

Since X and Y have yet to be released, I can't really compare them to the previous games yet in terms of anything, though with everything that's been released this is shaping up to possibly be the best games yet. With that said, I would have to say that the third generation (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) were the best overall in terms of gameplay improvements and new Pokemon.

All the games have great music so I can't really pinpoint one game in-particular in that category. I will say that Gold/Silver's story was just slightly an edge above all the others, or at least it didn't have something weighing it down like Team Plasma's or Team Galactics downright stupid plans. So, for my vote anyway, Gen 3 was the best.

• Brohoof 1

Generation 3, because unlike 1 and 2 I could transfer my team all the way to my Black/White 2, and will do the same for X and Y.

This is here because I only had 97 characters.

LOL, and people are still whining about how Generation III is sooo "underrated". That poll shows so much otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, Generation III was looked down upon when it came out. But opinions have flipped, and now it's Generation IV that receives all of the hate.

Anyway, I still consider Generation II my favorite, but maybe I'm being unfair. Generation IV and V, and presumably VI, have done a lot to make the games better. I just don't know... I tend to have "set" my favorites years ago and am not usually willing to budge, but I really enjoyed Generation IV and V. I especially saw V as being quite fresh, while still sticking to the formula. I found them to be fresh in all of the right ways, where Generation III failed.

Anyway:

Best Gameplay - I voted G/S/C.

Best Story: I don't play Pokemon games for story, so I really didn't know what to vote... So I have Generation V some love, because I knew it needed some, and I know it tried with the whole story thing more than the others have.

Best Music: I voted G/S/C. I didn't love every theme in G/S/C, but the majority I did. Sadly, I felt the music has gone quite downhill after Generation III. The first three generations had lots of memorable music, but IV and V really didn't, usually (I love Dragonspiral Tower from B/W/B2/W2 but that's really it lol)

Best Pokemon: I voted G/S/C... again. To be honest, this wasn't an easy question for me. But I do have to say it was Generation III when I started seeing designs I didn't like... Like Plusle and Minun. They were such blatant Pichu rip-offs that I was confused when I first saw them. At least they've tried to be unique with the later electric rodents. But I don't want to be one of those sticks in the mud. I'm not one who would say that they've "gone too far", and that "the early generations had the only good Pokemon", because I think those are stupid viewpoints. I LOVE many Pokemon from the later generations. I have a lot of favorites from Generation V, and I might even have a new top favorite with Fletchling from Generation VI. It's soooo cute... OMG.

Overall: G/S/C, obviously. Or that's what I voted. I don't know... D: But it's easy for me to say that R/S/E were my least favorite games altogether. I'd probably order it something like this:

1. Generation II

2. Generation V

3. Generation IV

4. Generation I

5. Generation III

Edited by Envy

"Exile Phoenix, on 30 Sept 2013 - 9:41 PM, said:First gens are what started it and will always be the bestUnless your really young and even then i don't think the newer generations will know what Pokemon is anymoreOh how times has changedThe good old days"

eah, no. The best version of the Gen 1 games were the Gen 3 remakes. The actual Gen 1 games were garbage by any other generations standard- and that's even considering the fact that it came first. Badly balanced, bad plot, glitched up the wazoo, sprite art years behind contemporary games, and some of the least creative designs in the history of the franchise.

Even the much improved Gen 1 remakes are worse than essentially any game made from Gen 3 onwards. RSE. HGSS. Platinum. BW, BW2.

I've been playing since the beginning, and I can say that the only reason I thought the first gen was good was partly my lack of taste back then, and partly that most of my time playing Gen 1 was on Pokemon Stadium- a far better game than Red and Blue.

The first generations is overrated as fuck and wasn't even that good.

Lol wat. Everyone have his own opinion. And 3 of 6 of my favorite pokemons are from the 1st Gen, so Gen 1 is my favorite. And of course the gameboy color games sux, the technology wasn't great enough for great games. And I stopped playing the main games, except for my Leafgreen, this game is simply awesome.

Also, Firered/Leafgreen is not in the poll. O,O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, screw the main games, Mystery Dungeon Rescue Team/Explorer FTW!!! They destroy any other games in every single categories lol.

Best Gameplay: Pokemon Blue Rescue Team

It was simply astonishing. Yes, Explorer of Sky had some more missions and stuff, but Time and Darkness were just boring as soon as you finish the storyline, and they didn't had all those friend areas. Also, this game is one of the hardest I've played, it's just awesome. tongue.png

Best Story: Pokemon Blue Rescue Team

Yes, Explorer was more detailed and everything, but for the general idea, I think Rescue Team was better. It actually made me cry, me being a non-emotional guy, and the ending was just astonishing (no spoilers). Also, there were a bunch of easter eggs everywhere, one with Ho-oh actually. (But I'm not saying more)

Best Music:Blue Rescue Team

Great Canyon and Sky Tower, enough said.

Best Pokemon: Explorer of Time/Darkness/Sky

They had moar pokemons, and they had them all

Best Overall: Blue Rescue Team

I'm tempted to say Explorer, but it was missing a really important thing: Friend Areas. Also, as soon as I finished it, I just stopped playing, since there was nothing left to do almost, and they didn't even had a dungeon for each legendaries, like Blue Rescue Team. So hands down, Blue Rescue Team is the best pokemon game of all time.

And for non-mystery dungeon games, Firered/Leafgreen get my vote.

Because naming the games after colors was very original. Right?

Anyway, I say fifth generation was the best in my opinion. Before any of you say anything, I played all the games, so I know what I'm talking about. The fact that it used totally original pokemon instead of using some new ones and having a bunch of older generation pokemon was good. It forced you learn the potential of the new pokemon and figure out how to use them. That and I liked the pokemon designs.

Edited by SmartyPants

First generation will always be the best, considering they introduced us to the Pokemon universe.

I bet the'll make a Z one. they've done it before but what the heck would that thing's final pokemon be?

i can imagine Hammerlock from BL2 seeing it and going "OMG IT'S HIDIOUS, EW EW EW, KILL IT, KILL IT KILL IT!!!"

I really thought I'd be alone with voting for the Ruby generations. The only other one I've played is white version 2 and it wasn't anywhere near as fun. I have started getting a little bit hyped for the X and Y generation. If they're as good as they're being made out to be would definitely be worth getting.

For Gameplay, X and Y seem to be introducing the biggest changes to the main gameplay, and all positive from what I've seen. Excluding that, I'd go with R/S/E for the awesome Pokémon Contests, though B/W/2 had a couple extra battle modes and the poke-star theater stuff seemed pretty fun.

For Story, I haven't played them but what I know about the Black and White story seems like it would involve much more interesting characters than just "LOL we're super selfish and want to control everything". D/P/Pt were also pretty interesting what with the gods and all.

The music hasn't changed much over the series (other than going from MIDI beeps to recognizable instrumentation) so I have to give the most credit to the originals there.

The best pokemon overall were in R/S/E, it has my absolute favorites and I can't really think of any I would consider bad or lazy. B/W/2 was the only generation I looked at and went "Wow... some of those are really ugly, and some of them are really lazy." Not all of them, but in other generations I liked pretty much ALL of the pokemon at least a little.

Overall I liked R/S/E the best, especially since the pokemon are usually the biggest difference between generations, but X and Y are looking really good too.

While I acknowledge that Pokemon has become better and better, gameplay wise, over the years, Generation 1 is personally my favorite, though, I admit mostly for nostalgia reasons. I'm not sure what it is, but the feeling I get when I play Blue is like no other. You can put fancy graphics and new game mechanics in newer titles, but nothing you do will give a better experience than that of the Game Boy days, an age where the only thing that mattered was gameplay.

*shuffles in*

I love 'em all! Personally I find the second and third generations to be the weakest, but they have their charms. By gen IV things got stable, then gen V continued being awesome, and gen VI I have great feelings about.

• Brohoof 1

I will always be a huge fan of Gen 2 because it contained a lot of my favorite pokemon, It was also the first pokemon game I ever completed (not by pokedex) since I was like 7 when i got pokemon silver. Though to this day Entei still annoys me when he runs

Gen one (Blue, Red, etc) , followed closely by gen three (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald) then gen two (Silver, Gold, Crystal)

The first one was just so memorable and I am probably blinded by nostalgia with these three choices. In terms of story, I don't know, I never play Pokemon games for the story really, unless it is like Coliseum but that game suffered greatly in the gameplay area. The Pokemon from those three gens are my favorite, easily. I have not played Black or White or the sequels to them so I cannot say there. All I have to say, is Ditto. I love Ditto. Oh, and Gengar.