S04:E01+02 - Princess Twilight Sparkle

Yellow Diamond

597 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh. It was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Thank god the whole timeline business is taken care of, then. Kind of reminds me of my post-lab writeups, where I have to explain my science sins (the results of the experiment (read: how did I get 105% yield?!), or in this case, that one line) in the discussion.

Also, dat scepter.

At least it's better than gak, right?

....Right?!

OH GOD

And now there is the mystery of what they'll find once they get the 6 keys.  I have a feeling that won't be unlocked till the season finale or close to it.  Still nice to have what may be 6 or more episodes tied directly together.  and as I mentioned before with Disord in the opening I wonder, and hope they have him pop up in the background like they use to do Derpy, I do miss those being in every episode.

not sure if the folks working on the show have said, but who is to say that in the Equistria world that 1 year may not be 12 months like it is here.  1 year there may be 10, 16, 20, month.  It may be more or less months then here.

Edited by Kulstor

I went back n re watch the premiere ^_^ and there was one thing that actually did bothered me. Rarity's dialogue felt off, like she was trying to hard to be Shakespearean. but it only seemed to be around Twilight so i'm wondering if there are some jealousy issues there that may be explored later?

Howdy all!

Hey, one shot knocked her out from Chrysalis. So that means that QC was even stronger than Nightmare Moon?

I would say yes on Chrysalis. The Queen has all of The Power Of Love she took away from Shining Armor and thats why Celestia was knocked into next week.

That would be an interesting fight. NM Vs Chrysalis.

Never the less the first 2 eps of season 4 is great & cant wait for more.

A little late to the game here, but I'm gonna plonk this down nontheless.

Overall, I thought the episode was pretty damn good. Gonna start with what I didn't like and work up to likes.

Dislikes:

Twilights 'importance' - The constant "Princess Twilight" grated. I can let that off if it was just for this episode though. Twilights cutie mark being the most prominent thing on the tree? Meh. But that flashing finish interupting the summer sun celebration. That stank of show-off. Most likely not intened to come off as that, but that's how it came across to me.

Linked to the above. AJ and the others acting like tools because of Twilight's status.

Odd timeline? - Firstly, it made it sound like this is the first sun celebration since the S1 episode 1. Might have just missed something but it felt odd. Secondly, the whole Luna to NMM to banishment seemed to happen far too quickly. A legend born from a 5 minute transformation? Perhaps a good chunk was just skipped. Who knows?

Main one here being the show/Celestia acknowledging Luna, from the opening theme to Celestia talking about her and sharing the celebration with her. The two together are cooler than one individually.

Clumsy twilight flying - so cute :P

The animation/Visuals - These really do just get better and better.

Removal of the EoH - They are too OP. Getting rid of them opens up new doors...or weird plant box things.

The keys - a larger than usual arc running throughout the season (hopefully). I'm up for that.

The NMM flashback. F'ing loved it. Simple as that.

Neutral:

Everfree forest as attacking force? Could have been done so much cooler.

Discord. I like and dislike him.

Still, quite promising tbh. I'm sure rewatches will reveal new stuff to me and change how I feel on certain things.

Edited by Soggy Salamander

I actually really liked it. Like, really really liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the whole tree of harmony thing. I thought they could have come up with a better explanation for the elements than 'We found them in a tree!'.

Personally, I just really enjoy Discord's new role as a background critic of Twilight and the mane six in general. While he was amazing as a manipulative, evil villain, it is interesting to see him in a more 'big brother' type light when it comes to the protagonists.

I hope that when they go out to find the 6 keys, they have to defeat a boss that's guarding it, and each of the Mane 6 have their own boss that only they can primarily beat.

I think it'd be great if these bosses represented some individual fear each pony has. And that they'd be very literal so that all audiences would understand them...

...except for Rarity's, which is revealed last - she has to fight a giant crab. "A CRAB? [whining] Oh, why doesn't mine make any sense?!"

• Brohoof 1

I've got a feeling that, as time goes on and more people see them with multiple viewings, the majority are going to look back and say these were two really great episodes.

I'm amazed at what I'm seeing the second go around - the writing, animation, "camera work", everything. For everypony: make sure you watch them again, and soon.

Is it me, or the two episodes actually pretty damn dark as well, it just seemed to me that some parts were actually dead on serious, which I though was awesome!

Like others have said, I thought the episodes were beyond badass!yay.png

Why was luna speaking modern equestrian in the flashback? For that matter why was celestia?

I thought of that while I was walking to dinner today. What the hell? 

• Brohoof 1

Why was luna speaking modern equestrian in the flashback? For that matter why was celestia?

I thought of that while I was walking to dinner today. What the hell? 

Because the flashbacks were stupidly rushed.

When I saw the animatic showing Luna's transformation, I expected to see an entire episode dedicated to explaining what happened, instead it was a vapid, empty, worse retelling of the story from the first episode.

I love this episode, but these flashbacks pissed me off.

Edited by moonlightavenger

I believe the flashbacks may not have been 100% accurate. I feel as though we perceived the events through the eyes of Twilight, and so they weren't factually perfect. Think of it as when something is directly translated from one language to another. It can have similar meaning, but sometimes it differs a bit from the original.

Of course, that's just my headcanon that explains the inconsistencies from the flashbacks, such as the fact that through the first few minutes of the flashback, Luna seems to be talking to thin air.

Edited by TheGr3ml1n
  • Brohoof 3

Now THAT'S how you open up a season. they did some many things right with this one. the whole visting the past thing was great. the part where nightmare moon and celistia was fighting was my favorite.

Pre-episode comment

Not sure how I feel about the Everfree forest being the threat in this one. I think maybe Sombra's horn has some explaining to do. 

Also, the customary geek out.

Oh man I'm so freaking' excited i'm about to jump out of my skin! 

attachicon.giftumblr_m2y7uxtkKo1rskeexo1_500.gif

Post-episode comment:

I feel like I can safely say that those were the best opening episodes so far. Probably the highlight for me was the back-story on Luna, Celestia and Discord even if it was kinda minimal (I did have my hopes up for some Sombra back-story but alas, nothing) . Mane 6 not relying on the Elements of Harmony any longer? Genius, I think that was a pretty cool move as well now we know it's not just going to be a matter of who do we use it on this time, plus it sort of opens up a bunch of new possibilities. I wonder if they'll throw story based episodes about each mane 6 finding their key in amongst all the everyday life episodes to keep the story running throughout the season, that would be neat. 

Actually the back-story wasn't even the best part now that I think about it. Applejack had so many awesome scenes and a lot of dialogue. I plan on invading this space with screenshots of said moments when a Youtube video is up and running. Absolutely can not wait to re-watch it. 

Hi My name's Applejack and I'll be saving your life this evening.

Awesome powerslide

In summary the whole episode was on a completely different scale. AJ really certified herself as second in charge of the group in my eye's

dude, that whole sliding part with AJ made me go "OOOOOOOOH SON!" some of my favorite moments during part 2

• Brohoof 1

I loved that there's going to be an ongoing subplot storyline now concerning what we saw the end of the episode, and the origin of the EOH was genius. Promising things to come if this episode is any indication.