Why do so many people dislike Rarity so much and like Rainbow Dash so much?

Sazama Ichida

Rarity has done her fair share just like the others. It's just not as overboard or as significant as the others. She has mostly been subtle.

Which actually works for her character since only the viewers who can see the finer and underlying details can appreciate Rarity. Genius!

Let's also not forget that Rarity alone, beat the Diamond Dogs and took over their operation. She's more than capable of handling herself.

Edited by Singe
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I don't like Rainbow Dash much more than the rest, but Rarity is definitely my least favorite. The reason being, I find her to be insufferable. She must have everything "Just so", she's a giant drama queen, she's the element of generosity, and that's only proven maybe once or twice in the entire series, plus she reminds me of the dark times, (I.E. gen 3/.5) where it was all dresses and tea parties and that bullshit. I prefer Pinkie Pie, because she is more go with the flow, she can laugh at pretty much anything, making it so she doesn't get upset AND proves her element consistently, and she is a fourth-wall observer, so she's something new in the series.

Hi. I'm ghost. :D

Now, I see your opinions on Rarity, and I'd appreciate it if you would go back to page 6 of this topic and read my list I posted, as I feel that would clear up much confusion about the subject at hand here :D Thank you for your time, and have a fabulous day! :D

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Hi. I'm ghost. :D

Now, I see your opinions on Rarity, and I'd appreciate it if you would go back to page 6 of this topic and read my list I posted, as I feel that would clear up much confusion about the subject at hand here :D Thank you for your time, and have a fabulous day! :D

I see those, and I respect your opinion, but I don't feel all of those examples are generosity per se, it seems like she's only actually giving stuff up in a few examples, others feel like they are just her OCD going overboard and having everything be "Just so" not for the sake of others, but because she must have them as the most "fabulous" or whatever. I'm not hating on Rarity, I just feel that she doesn't do things out of generosity so much as OCD. If not it being OCD, it being things like proper social etiquette, which isn't something you should be rewarding because they do it, it should be something you try to correct when they don't do it.

I'll use a couple of examples from season one: In Winter Wrap Up, Twilight screwed up a birds nest, so Rarity tried to fix it, ok that's all well and good, but she spent way too much time on it to make it all ribbony and what-not. They're birds, it's not like they are going to see that much of a difference. I will concede though that you can chalk that up to poor time management on everypony's part, because until Twilight came along, it's implied they were almost always late.

In Green Isn't Your Color, using the example of keeping yourself under control as generosity just isn't correct. That's proper social etiquette, that's being courteous, not generous.

Those are just a few examples. Maybe it's just because I'm too cynical that I feel like there's always an ulterior motive for her actions, but that's just my feelings on the matter. I'd like to re-iterate that I don't hate Rarity or her fans, I just don't find her to be my favorite character myself. She's still a good character, I just don't like the drama queen tendencies she has or the really girly-girl kind of disposition she has. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

QfdUcx0.png

I use pokemon showdown because I can't afford a 2DS :c

I see those, and I respect your opinion, but I don't feel all of those examples are generosity per se, it seems like she's only actually giving stuff up in a few examples, others feel like they are just her OCD going overboard and having everything be "Just so" not for the sake of others, but because she must have them as the most "fabulous" or whatever. I'm not hating on Rarity, I just feel that she doesn't do things out of generosity so much as OCD. If not it being OCD, it being things like proper social etiquette, which isn't something you should be rewarding because they do it, it should be something you try to correct when they don't do it.

I'll use a couple of examples from season one: In Winter Wrap Up, Twilight screwed up a birds nest, so Rarity tried to fix it, ok that's all well and good, but she spent way too much time on it to make it all ribbony and what-not. They're birds, it's not like they are going to see that much of a difference. I will concede though that you can chalk that up to poor time management on everypony's part, because until Twilight came along, it's implied they were almost always late.

In Green Isn't Your Color, using the example of keeping yourself under control as generosity just isn't correct. That's proper social etiquette, that's being courteous, not generous.

Those are just a few examples. Maybe it's just because I'm too cynical that I feel like there's always an ulterior motive for her actions, but that's just my feelings on the matter. I'd like to re-iterate that I don't hate Rarity or her fans, I just don't find her to be my favorite character myself. She's still a good character, I just don't like the drama queen tendencies she has or the really girly-girl kind of disposition she has. Different strokes for different folks, you know?

Ah. Well, you respect my opinion and at the least display it towards my best pony, I'll respect your opinion on my best pony. Sound good? :D

Even though I wholeheartedly disagree, your opinions are reasonable when compared to some of the other posts in this topic, so I'll back off. :D

• Brohoof 2

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Eh, depends on your perspective on generosity, as I think it's more than about just "giving stuff up" and more about generosity in spirit.  It would have been very easy for her to wallow in her bitterness and jealousy, and I suspect most people would.  .   But she swallowed her pride and took the time out to do what she thought was best for her friend.  Putting aside your own personal feelings, sacrificing them to do what is best for others is, to me, a form of generosity. 

• Brohoof 2

img-1630605-3-sig_for_hawkflame_by_maggi

Sig by Thunderstorm

Check out my Rarity fansite!

Eh, depends on your perspective on generosity, as I think it's more than about just "giving stuff up" and more about generosity in spirit.  It would have been very easy for her to wallow in her bitterness and jealousy, and I suspect most people would.  .   But she swallowed her pride and took the time out to do what she thought was best for her friend.  Putting aside your own personal feelings, sacrificing them to do what is best for others is, to me, a form of generosity. 

I see your point, it really depends on your position on the sliding scale of Idealism versus Cynicism. 

QfdUcx0.png

I like both Rarity and Rainbow Dash (I like the entire main cast, really), so I haven't really seen this dichotomy you're mentioning.

Every character is going to have their detractors. It doesn't mean the fandom en masse hates your favorite character, though. From what I've seen, Rarity (as well as her co-stars) gets plenty of love in this fanbase and from the show creators. As quite the huge Rarity fan myself, I don't feel that my favorite pony is at a disadvantage at all.

• Brohoof 6

WdDDE2M.png

FLAMES!

One aspect for Rarity to generosity is her self sustaining life means she doesn't need anything from anyone as much as the other Mane 5. It really sets her up to help with anything without expecting anything in return. 

Pinkie Pie kept pushing it because she wanted Cranky Doodle Donkey to be her friend to maintain her friends with everyone in Ponyville status quo.

Edited by Singe

A lot of people say Rarity is a snob, but I really like her all the same. What can I say? She has great taste in clothes and lots of class, even if she can be be a bit superficial and materialistic. :D

I like Rainbow Dash too (she is SOOOOOOOOOO cool and awesome for her speed, determination, loyalty and overall athletic abilities, and her Sonic Rainboom is beyond breathtaking), but sometimes she CAN be a bit uppity. She has great potential though, especially as she learns "profesionalism" in Flight to the Finish. B)

• Brohoof 2

n4f98c0512d256_medium.png

A lot of people say Rarity is a snob, but I really like her all the same. What can I say? She has great taste in clothes and lots of class, even if she can be be a bit superficial and materialistic. :D

I like Rainbow Dash too (she is SOOOOOOOOOO cool and awesome for her speed, determination, loyalty and overall athletic abilities, and her Sonic Rainboom is beyond breathtaking), but sometimes she CAN be a bit uppity. She has great potential though, especially as she learns "profesionalism" in Flight to the Finish. B)

Rarity could be seen a snob, but that is only since she has class and etiquette. The way Pinkie Pie gorges on food and acts makes her come off as a slob.

• Brohoof 1

Well I am certainly not the only one who thinks this way but RD=Worst Mane6 member.

I like them all but RD is a character who I dislike a little, I can understand why so many people like her though, mainly because of her Catchphrase 20% cooler or her Rainbow Mane but overall I prefer the other ponies over her.

• Brohoof 1

t7gaxs.jpg

Sig by: Kyoshi

Would anypony care to explain to me just how the hay Rainbow Dash is loyal? Cuz I seriously don't see it...No offense...I mean just what are some things she's done that are "loyal" so to speak? Imo she represents her element even less than Rarity does hers...Alot less...

The only thing "loyal" that I recall her ever doing was just choosing not to abandon her friends and join the Shadowbolts...

But Rarity's done alot of generous things. Thought I do admit she seems a bit greedy at times.

Edited by Asbel Lhant

The White Shinigami

Would anypony care to explain to me just how the hay Rainbow Dash is loyal? Cuz I seriously don't see it...No offense...I mean just what are some things she's done that are "loyal" so to speak? Imo she represents her element even less than Rarity does hers...Alot less...

The only thing "loyal" that I recall her ever doing was just choosing not to abandon her friends and join the Shadowbolts...

But Rarity's done alot of generous things. Thought I do admit she seems a bit greedy at times.

- The entirety of Wonderbolts Academy and Hurricane Fluttershy

- Flight to the Finish - She convinced Sweetie Belle and Applebloom to get Scootaloo and reunite the CMC

- Griffon the Brush Off - Defends her friends when Gilda loses it

- Mysterious Mare Do Well -  Simply by the principle that most people would have ditched their friends after pulling a stunt like what they mane 6 did to RD

- Sleepless in Ponyville - Taking Scootaloo as a surrogate sister

- Games Ponies Play - Going out of her way to help Twilight get the Crystal Empire to be chosen for the Equestrian Games, even willing to take the blame when everything goes wrong

I can go on

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 3

img-2158763-1-Rainbow_Dash_performing_a_

img-2158763-2-185632__safe_rainbow-dash_

img-2158763-3-33976__safe_twilight-spark

img-2158763-4-tumblr_ml2alj4rJv1s5s1doo2

Rainbow Dash is the strongest representation of her element of anypony, and those aren't even all the examples. Because not only does Rainbow Dash demonstrate her element herself, but she also prizes it highly in other ponies:

img-2158763-5-b0o9fvtzui9u_400.gif

i-tgRTh9g.png

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 4

Latest Video: Come On: An Ode To Best Friendship

img-9947-1-i-TxbKrsG.png

"Says they don't like MMDW or Merriwether Williams: Inb4 Stellafera" - Sugar Cube

Rainbow Dash is the strongest representation of her element of anypony, and those aren't even all the examples. Because not only does Rainbow Dash demonstrate her element herself, but she also prizes it highly in other ponies:

bold claim. Inaccurate though, but I'm not surprised from Dash-thralls

Rarity's representation of generosity alone is far greater.

So sorry, your claim is fallacious.

>Pilot

Edited by SolarFox
Removed some phrases that could be insulting.
  • Brohoof 3

Many of these are instances of loyalty too.

Also, the Tank instance is lame, Tank was loyal to her. She doesn't get credit.

I used the tank example as one where she highly valued the trait of loyalty in another, which shows that it's an important quality to her.

To be fair, Rainbow Dash could also be said to have generosity; she's pretty willing to volunteer to any task to help her friends. While I see where you're coming from in terms of Rarity's generosity, and I do consider her the second strongest, I suppose that Rainbow Dash's instances of her element are simply more memorable and bold to me.

• Brohoof 1

Latest Video: Come On: An Ode To Best Friendship

img-9947-1-i-TxbKrsG.png

"Says they don't like MMDW or Merriwether Williams: Inb4 Stellafera" - Sugar Cube

In Green Isn't Your Color she specifically stood up for Fluttershy and helped her career, and she preferred to be silently miserable than hurt Shy's feelings.

Kindly explain to me how those are not generous?

I thought we were done arguing about this. Anyways, it wasn't generous because Shy didn't want to be a model in the first place. She pushing Shy in to being a model and she put up with it because she's the element of kindness and didn't want to be rude to Rarity. Rarity wanted to be the model, but Photo Finish liked Fluttershy better. Rarity was living the life of a model vicariously, through Fluttershy.

QfdUcx0.png

I thought we were done arguing about this. Anyways, it wasn't generous because Shy didn't want to be a model in the first place. She pushing Shy in to being a model and she put up with it because she's the element of kindness and didn't want to be rude to Rarity. Rarity wanted to be the model, but Photo Finish liked Fluttershy better. Rarity was living the life of a model vicariously, through Fluttershy.

>Rarity was living the life of a model vicariously, through Fluttershy.

But that's wrong! I guess you really don't watch the show.

Rarity was not living vicariously through Fluttershy, she did not enjoy Shy being a model AND felt bad for not spending time with Shy. Living vicariously requires one to take an active role in the life of the other.

Rarity explicitly says she thought Fluttershy enjoyed it and did not want her to stop out of concern for her own feelings.

So yea, generous. Just s typical sitcom misunderstanding.

Now you'll probably shuffle the goals posts back and say "well Rarity should have known Fluttershy wouldn't enjoy it."

And you would be right...if these kinds of innocent misunderstandings were not the bread and butter of show.

. You people who don't like Rarity can't even get the sequence of events, character motivations remotely right. Rarity didn't even want to be a model.

Just wow.

Edited by SolarFox

Dude, stop trying to start shit. The definition of living vicariously is living through someone else. An example outside of ponies would be any of the mothers in the child beauty pageant bullshit shows. The mothers are forcing their daughters to compete because they couldn't even though they wanted to. Rarity pushed Fluttershy to be a model. While it's true I haven't seen the episode in a while, that's what I got out of it. That's the beauty of TV shows, it can mean different things to different viewers.

QfdUcx0.png

Dude, stop trying to start shit. The definition of living vicariously is living through someone else. An example outside of ponies would be any of the mothers in the child beauty pageant bullshit shows. The mothers are forcing their daughters to compete because they couldn't even though they wanted to. Rarity pushed Fluttershy to be a model. While it's true I haven't seen the episode in a while, that's what I got out of it. That's the beauty of TV shows, it can mean different things to different viewers.

except that's wrong. Rarity just wanted Fluttershy to take the opportunity and mistakenly thought she enjoyed it.

You're wrong, accept that your disdain for Rarity is based on your irrational and erroneous projection of standards onto her.

You're, quite literally, 200% wrong. the exact opposite of what you say happened actually happened. Rarity never tried to live through Fluttershy, there's nothings that suggest she did and tons of things that suggest the opposite: she did not truly want Fluttershy being a model, she never took an active part/interest in her modelling and was glad when Fluttershy told her the truth.

Also, thank you SolarFox for doing what I should have and editing that last post.

Edited by Whatevs

All you are doing is proving to me that you are an overzealous fanboy who can't accept other people's opinions. Respect other people's opinions. It's a show, you aren't the writer of the show, you don't know what was really meant to be portrayed. Like I said, TV shows can mean different things to different people. Just accept it and we can move on.

QfdUcx0.png

No, she never wanted to be a model, she wanted her designs to be used. It's the reason she went to Fluttershy in the first place, because she thought Fluttershy would be the best model to show off her clothes.

Rarity (to Fluttershy): But I'm going to need somepony fabulous to model for me. Somepony with beauty. Somepony with grace. Somepony... like you? - 

And later on, at the photo shoot

Fluttershy (to Rarity): Oh, I am so excited for you. Just don't forget us little ponies when you become the most famous designer in all of Equestria.

Rarity (to Photo Finish): But... but... how are you going to help me "shine across Equestria" if I don't design something new for these pictures?

I'm all for accepting other perspectives, but when an opinion is wrong, it's wrong. Rarity never wanted to be a model, so she can't possibly have been living vicariously through Fluttershy.

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 1

Happy minion of The Fabulous One!

img-2257-1-sig-2257.sig-2257.sig-2257.Full_Spectrum2_2.jpg

Signature by Midnightive

Check out my blog! https://mlpforums.com/blog/1083-sunny-side-den/

Alright, you at least presented a valid reason. Like I said, it's been a while since I've seen it. You gave quotes from the show, Whatevs just expected me to take his word for it, without giving me any specific examples. Give me a break.

• Brohoof 1

QfdUcx0.png

All you are doing is proving to me that you are an overzealous fanboy who can't accept other people's opinions. Respect other people's opinions. It's a show, you aren't the writer of the show, you don't know what was really meant to be portrayed. Like I said, TV shows can mean different things to different people. Just accept it and we can move on.

>overzealous fanboy

who is arguing using direct or near-direct evidence from the show against your groundless accusations that you were bold enough to enter into a discussion but apparently too cowardly to stand behind.

This "it's just my opinion" stance is nothing more than a subversion.

No, she never wanted to be a model, she wanted her designs to be used. It's the reason she went to Fluttershy in the first place, because she thought Fluttershy would be the best model to show off her clothes.

Rarity (to Fluttershy): But I'm going to need somepony fabulous to model for me. Somepony with beauty. Somepony with grace. Somepony... like you? - 

And later on, at the photo shoot

Fluttershy (to Rarity): Oh, I am so excited for you. Just don't forget us little ponies when you become the most famous designer in all of Equestria.

Rarity (to Photo Finish): But... but... how are you going to help me "shine across Equestria" if I don't design something new for these pictures?

I'm all for accepting other perspectives, but when an opinion is wrong, it's wrong. Rarity never wanted to be a model, so she can't possibly have been living vicariously through Fluttershy.

Maybe I should post direct quotes from the transcript but I can't be asked for something so simple. And again, thank you for editing my post. I'm a noob with these things.

Was there any sourcing to your evidence? No. Did you make any effort to source your evidence? No. There's a reason people shouldn't use wikipedia for a direct source if there is superscript that says [citation needed]. It means there is just stuff said there with no evidence to back it up. I had clarified that my memory was foggy and said the stuff I remembered. I'm done here.

QfdUcx0.png