Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do so many people dislike Rarity so much and like Rainbow Dash so much?

Sazama Ichida

I gotta ask, Seriously, Why exactly do so many people dislike Rarity so much and say that she's their least favorite pony? And why exactly do so many people like Rainbow Dash so much and say that she's their favorite pony? Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy I can easily understand why people like but Rainbow Dash? Really? She's alot more selfish and obnoxious than Rarity if you ask me...She's a conceited show-off and mostly seems to only think and care about herself alot of the time...She's definitely my least favorite out of the mane 6...Why exactly do people like her? (Don't hurt/kill me for saying that please RD fans)

But at least Rarity shows acts of generosity sometimes and does things for other ponies like making dresses etc...What exactly do people have against her?

• Brohoof 23

I wish I knew.

I'm speculating that RD would not be nearly as popular if not for her rainbow design.

Many people say she is popular because she is the tomboy of the group, but Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are incredibly popular as well. Fluttershy is perhaps even more popular than RD, yet pretty much as girly and feminine as Rarity. Similarly, AJ is rather tomboyish as well, yet lingers at the bottom of popularity polls. The tomboy argument holds little water with me.

Rarity is disliked largely because she strikes too close to home as the snooty-popular-girl archetype. Obviously she's anything but, but if someone's first impression is a negative one then they are unlikely to delve deeper into her character and see what a fantastic character she really is.

It's funny how Rarity's vanity is "omg so annoying", while RD's arrogance is "a character-building flaw!". Double standards, anyone?

• Brohoof 27

I have a friend that considers Rarity to be a bitch, so he doesn't like her. He also thinks that Rarity is self conceited, which I find interesting considering she represents generosity. He also really likes RD but I have no idea why. He just thinks she's cool I suppose.

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE Rarity, and Rainbow Dash is down in my least favorite 2 ponies.  I guess people dislike Rarity because of how girly she is.  And she whines a lot.  I don't really see any flaw at all to her, the whining is special quirk and I like it :P

Rainbow Dash, they probably like how she's tomboyish, which most girls can relate to and not relate to Rarity.  There's also that rumor of her being a lesbian, which quite a few people could relate to, even if the rumor is false.  And of course, she's rainbow colored, who doesn't like rainbows?

• Brohoof 2

You know, I ask myself that everyday.

I actually hated RD for a little while based on that principle alone, but I got over it.

Because, I realized that a few idiots who base their opinions on a characters design and nothing else are far too worthless to waste my time getting upset over, and that Rarity will always be my best pony.

Really, though, I've noticed there's RD fans who take things too far like that, but that's only a small, select percentage of her fanbase. There's actually more good ones, as it is with all pony fan bases. :D

• Brohoof 4

I personally like both of them equally (Pinkie is best pony of course) but I guess the rationale is that Rainbow Dash is more exciting than Rarity, that along with her tomboyish personality and rainbow colors make her a fan favorite. She makes an impact whether she is the main character of an episode or a secondary pony in an episode. A lot of people can also relate to Rainbow's brand of arrogance (including myself), the fun-loving competitiveness. That brash level of excitement also puts the tomboy/athletic Rainbow Dash over the tomboy/athletic Applejack for a lot of people [but from what I have seen, Applejack is one of the least likely to be a "least favorite" of the Mane Six, so she's doing something right..while RD is more likely to be a "least favorite"].

Rarity really shines in episodes centered around her, in my opinion, but lacks the same shine in other episodes and can comes across as unbearably elitist rather than sympathetically elitist (like in "Sweet and Elite"), which I guess turns some bronies off. 

Edited by DukeofCanterlot
  • Brohoof 2

I gotta ask, Seriously, Why exactly do so many people dislike Rarity so much and say that she's their least favorite pony? And why exactly do so many people like Rainbow Dash so much and say that she's their favorite pony? Twilight Sparkle and Fluttershy I can easily understand why people like but Rainbow Dash? Really? She's alot more selfish and obnoxious than Rarity if you ask me...She's a conceited show-off and mostly seems to only think and care about herself alot of the time...She's definitely my least favorite out of the mane 6...Why exactly do people like her? (Don't hurt/kill me for saying that please RD fans)

But at least Rarity shows acts of generosity sometimes and does things for other ponies like making dresses etc...What exactly do people have against her?

Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpg

Why people probably dislike Rares: Has character traits that are typically disliked among female characters in general(obsessed with fashion, glamor and whatnot), pretty selfish, whines a lot(usually for comedic effect), manipulative, doesn't treat her sister well. There's probably more, but these are the one's that stand out the most, with the first one being the elephant in the room. While it's very unfair, it makes sense that people dislike Rarity for the first reason seeing as before FiM, shows that revolve around those type of characters are generally due to the shallow way on how a girl thinks. And obviously FiM avoids this by making Rarity such a much more rounded character and giving her a lot of life and charm, that characters before her were void of. She's easily one of the most flawed characters in the show, but imo that's what makes her one of the best since it allows her to grow and opens opportunities on what she's capable of.

Why people probably like Rainbow Dash: Tomboy(which probably makes more relatable than Rares), adventurous, headstrong, loyal, rainbows, extrovert(she presents what she's like right from the get go while you have to dig deep to see Rarity's qualities). It's no secret that she's also one of the most flawed characters along with Rarity, some of which really stand out like a sore thumb(like being a show-off). But like Rarity(who coincidentally share similar flaws), her flaws also make her one of the best characters since it also allows her to grow and mature(which was something we undeniably saw in Season 3)

In the end of the day this is my response

Why_not_both%3F.jpg

As someone who who thinks of both Rares and Rainbow as his favorite characters in the show, the argument of "liking Rainbow=Disliking Rarity" is getting stupid.

• Brohoof 9

Its simple. People like Rainbow Dash so much because most people can relate to her. Most bronies are guys, and Rainbow Dash is a tomboy. People like characters they can relate to. Ask anybody why their favorite character is their favorite character, and most people will say its because they can relate to that character. Another example is Fluttershy. A lot of bronies can relate to her, since shes so shy, hence why she is so popular. Rarity is pretty much the opposite of a tomboy, and upon first impression she seems shallow to most people. Some people think shes that popular shallow girl stereotype. So for Rarity, most people can't relate to her, and she seems shallow to some people, which in turn makes her very unpopular. Shes actually a very deep complex character, which is one thing I love about her, but most people don't look hard enough, and don't realize that.

• Brohoof 5

Rarity gets on my nerves every now and again, but overall she's a decent character; I can honestly say I "like" her. But Rainbow Dash? She has a good quality. Or two, perhaps. But, the rest of her character is off-putting; she isn't necessarily a bad character, but her flaws stand out and get in the way far more often than any other pony's.

I've heard one theory (not likely to be correct in ALL situations) is that for most fans, they latch onto what feels most familiar. And if we're talking about GUY fans, tomboy Rainbow Dash is the one they can often relate to most.

On the other side of the coin, prissy, fashion obsessed Rarity is the one they relate to the LEAST.

And I guess for GIRL fans, it could be that Rainbow is that represents that "girl-power" attitude that a lot of people like.

While Rarity might remind the girls (and guys too) of that conceited popular girl you knew at your school.

But many people make the crucial mistake of not even TRYING to get to know Rarity.

I have very little personal interest in fashion. I don't care about looking fabulous. But I love Rarity as a hard-working, talented artist, with a lot of class, and understandable flaws.

She one of the most layered, complicated characters in the show. But sadly, but people that don't want to peel past those first couple layers are just going to make snap decisions about her.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 9

It's funny how Rarity's vanity is "omg so annoying", while RD's arrogance is "a character-building flaw!". Double standards, anyone?

I would brohoof this a thousand times if I could. 

I admit that RD's arrogance grates on me in a way that Rarity's vanity doesn't but at least I recognize the parallel.  Despite the fact that Rarity is my favorite character and Dash is near the bottom, I actually do see some striking similarities between them.  Go fig.

Its simple. People like Rainbow Dash so much because most people can relate to her. Most bronies are guys, and Rainbow Dash is a tomboy. People like characters they can relate to. Ask anybody why their favorite character is their favorite character, and most people will say its because they can relate to that character. Another example is Fluttershy. A lot of bronies can relate to her, since shes so shy, hence why she is so popular. Rarity is pretty much the opposite of a tomboy, and upon first impression she seems shallow to most people. Some people think shes that popular shallow girl stereotype. So for Rarity, most people can't relate to her, and she seems shallow to some people, which in turn makes her very unpopular. Shes actually a very deep complex character, which is one thing I love about her, but most people don't look hard enough, and don't realize that.

See, that's something I don't really get.  A lot of characters are "relateable".  Dash isn't the only tomboy out there, and Fluttershy isn't the only "shy" character.  Relatability is overrated if the character isn't written in a compelling or interesting way (not saying that's the case for RD or Fluttershy).  The writing and acting behind the character are the most important things.  That's why I like Rarity- because she blends these totally opposite elements of being vain and somewhat "upper crust" while genuinely being very nice and giving. 

She's my favorite character, and yet you couldn't make her any more different than me.

• Brohoof 4

I personally love Rarity since she has the best character episodes under her belt. I think people don't like her because they can't get past female stereotypes to realize that she is a great role model. Showing girls to work on your talents and create a business based on your strengths.

Edited by windy_prance

It really doesn't take much looking to see that Rarity is very different from those stereotypical popular highschool bitches...I've honestly never gotten that vibe from her at all. Anyone who thinks that needs to see Sunset Shimmer. THERE's your stereotypical popular highschool bitch...She's like Connie Damico from Family Guy...

Rarity is nothing like that. She's selfless and nice and does favors for other ponies too. Making dresses isn't the only thing.

• Brohoof 3

Rarity is nothing like that. She's selfless and nice and does favors for other ponies too. Making dresses isn't the only thing.

Well she's not ENTIRELY selfless. But she's not entirely selfish either.

She's just normal. And that's a good character.

But as for the stereotypical mean girl thing, the fact that she doesn't ACT like one doesn't matter.

The people that are going to assume that Rarity is like that are only going to look at her and decide that she's automatically a bad person and they aren't going to get her a chance beyond that. People can just be like that. Negativity just doesn't work on logic sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash was always my favorite because I can relate to her (I can't think of one thing I don't have in common with her) and plus, I love her design and she's just awesome.  I don't hate Rarity but to me she kind of actually seems self-centered a lot like when she wanted to get famous and not go to her friend's birthday.  Plus she's just really girly and cares about make up and clothes, stuff I couldn't care less about.  And another big reason is she acts like those typical popular girls who like going shopping all day and wearing make up.  I know girls like that who act like they're my friend one minute and ignore me the next, so yeah

Edited by Neon Fire
  • Brohoof 1

SHOCKING REVELATION INCOMING!!!!

Allow me to solve this little mystery: how much people like certain characters relative to others is... entirely subjective. I know, I know, that's not really a full and satisfying explanation, but that's all there is to it in the end, and all there needs to be. All of the folks who are trying to highlight "double standards" or "hypocrisy" on the part of Rarity haters/Dash fans are wasting their time. Everypony brings their own personal experiences to the table and is going to react to things differently than you.

I'd also like to clear up another thing while I'm here: while Rarity and Dash may share some similarities, they are NOWHERE NEAR being similar characters. Asserting that bronies should like one of them because they like the other is just silly, because every single one of the Mane Six has so many distinguishing qualities. If Rarity and Dash were really so similar, Lauren Faust probably would have just combined the characters and saved herself and the other writers/animators a lot of trouble.

Personally, Dash is my second favorite of the Mane Six, and Rarity is down at the bottom. I have absolutely no use for fashion at all, while Dash is an athlete and I'm a huge sports fan, so... yeah. I'm a lot more willing to write at least some of her faults off as part of her competitive nature, whereas Rarity spends the entire length of "Sweet and Elite" lying to everyone in sight in a lame attempt to try and impress a bunch of ponies who were never worth impressing to begin with.

That isn't to say that I believe Rarity is a bad character. I don't think any of the Mane Six are bad characters. They're all fantastic characters, each in completely distinct ways, which is precisely why playing the "why don't people see things the way I do" game is a waste of effort. 

• Brohoof 8

Well, i can't speak from either sides experience here, as i like both characters very much, but i can gather a few speculations and theories.

First of all, its up to preference, some people like one type of character, others another, its like that for everything, its the same thing with people preferring oranges to banana's, and vis versa. People have different preferences, and sometimes just happen to be polar opposites.

Another thing might be that people who like Rainbow, don't like Rarity due to their drastic differences in terms of characters. Of course on the flip side some may like the conflicting personalities, so again its up to preference alot.

Maybe its just due to who Rarity is compared to Rainbow. Maybe Rarity is just seen as more of a stereotypical girl to newcomers, and thus they tend to not like her as much. Where as Rainbow is more of the tomboy, and to bronies newly coming into the show, she feels more relatable.

Overall its really just preferences, what you preference and like over another, or maybe if your like me you just like both and think both are great characters for their own reasons.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a huge Rarity fan but my guess as to why people don't like her is because of one or more of the following:

• They can't relate to her
  • She's the girly-prissy type you would expect from a show for little girls
  • She tends to be self-adsorbed and whiny

or for some other reason.

People tend to like RD because:

• She's cool and not someone you'd expect from a show for little girls
  • She's relatable
  • Nice design

or some other reason.

I like both Rarity and Rainbow Dash......Fluttershy on the other hand....