Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do so many people dislike Rarity so much and like Rainbow Dash so much?

Sazama Ichida

one reason I think is rainbow dash is in some ways easy to understand. rainbow dash dose not have part of herself that is apparently anti her element.

Rarity is Both Generous sometimes to a fault and greedy also to a fault. its hard for a lot of people to see that such opposite "ideals" could exist in one person so they latch onto the more obvious and most displayed attribute and run with it.

and its hard to shake the I am a fashionistea and want to be with high class ponies with the equally valid I don't think I am better than any pony.

she is a living contradiction and we as humans have a hard time dealing with this fact.

and the simple fact that this is a very girly character and a lot of the fan base is guys.

Edited by Noodles

Ok to be fair and state the obvious, ya I like Rainbow Dash more then rarity, because she has qualities I lack, like confidence, proud self esteem. RD has loads of self esteem and is not afraid to defend herself.

But on with Rarity, I like her too because she represents a very important tribute that alot of our society lacks, being generous to one another. These days with kids and even adults I see alot more recieving and not a whole lot of giving... Rarity reminds us to be generous and that its more beneifical to give then recieve. I love Rarity for that aspect. Ok there are times to me when she can be a bit uptight or stuck up with herself, she has to have things her way or she gets all dramatic about it. But who am I not to say "I never act like that" please... I do that all the time. I whine if I don't get things just right, if someone messes with my computer area I throw a fit. It has to be THIS way or I cant work right, just like her. She represents a part of us maybe some people aren't proud of in that aspect, but lets be honest, we all have moments like that! its only natural, and she flawnts it nicely!

• Brohoof 3

In my opinion, Yes I love RD. Best pony ever :yay: . But that doesn't mean I hate Rarity. I actually love Rarity too. I love her personality. It's got good and bad and that's what makes the show interesting and funny. 

Well the reason some might hate Rarity is because they think her element of harmony doesn't match her. She's suppose to be generous but isn't. But still, RD has her times when she's not loyal

The reason why some love RD such as myself, ....well my reason it because of her style. Both appearance and personality. 

But regardless....

I LOVE YOU BOTH RAINBOW DASH AND RARITY! :wub:

There’s nothing wrong with having favorites, heck one look at my sig tells the tale on which fillies I adore. :) But I really believe that to fully enjoy the show, or anything in life for that matter, you really need to soak up the full experience, and in this case, that comes from all the different characters in the show. Each character has a role to play in the show and each is important. I have no use for any of the background ponies, but I know they have a devoted following and that’s fine. I don’t worry why people do I just enjoy the show. If you allow yourself to be color blind you miss out IMHO.

Rarity comes across as being:

- petty, in the Look Before You Sleep episode

- overly dramatic, in the Lesson Zero episode

- materialistic, in any episode where she brings a ton of luggage

- a terrible older sister, in the Sisterhooves Social episode and the Sleepless in Ponyville episode

. . . but hey, nopony's perfect :)

It's inevitable that lots of people are going to really hate whichever character you really love because these are such complex and damn interesting characters :)

• Brohoof 1

one reason I think is rainbow dash is in some ways easy to understand. rainbow dash dose not have part of herself that is apparently anti her element.Rarity is Both Generous sometimes to a fault and greedy also to a fault. its hard for a lot of people to see that such opposite "ideals" could exist in one person so they latch onto the more obvious and most displayed attribute and run with it.and its hard to shake the I am a fashionistea and want to be with high class ponies with the equally valid I don't think I am better than any pony.she is a living contradiction and we as humans have a hard time dealing with this fact.and the simple fact that this is a very girly character and a lot of the fan base is guys.

But doesn't that make her more COMPLEX? having to deal with being both Generous and Selfish at the same time is intresting from a story point of view. If a character had no flaws they would be awful.

What, on 27 Nov 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

But doesn't that make her more COMPLEX? having to deal with being both Generous and Selfish at the same time is intresting from a story point of view. If a character had no flaws they would be awful.

why yes it dose. and yes it is a good thing.

JonPear, on 27 Nov 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

a terrible older sister, in the Sisterhooves Social episode

in the end of the episode witch was the moral and the point. she did truly give of her self after realizing she was wrong.

On the other hand sweetie bell was not completely correct. its called siblings you love your Family even in the times you just want to strangle them.

sleepless I am not positive if she was all wrong rarity didn't want to go perhaps that was the deal for her to go.

Rarity "ok ill go but your carrying my stuff for me." sweetie belle "Ok" and sweetie bell did not seem overly upset at the deal.

was not right of Rarity as well.

yes things can be right and wrong at the same time.

• Brohoof 2

Maybe is because Rarity is willing to be something is isn't just to get where she wants to be. She did once try to hide her friends from the canterlot elite out of fear they'd destroy her chances of becoming accepted in high-canterlot society.

Long story short, i can't imagine most bronies going to that level of effort to impress people who are, well, complete tossers to be honest. 

Rainbow Dash doesn't care what others say she can or can't do, she doesn't pretty herself up, pyhsically active, loves drinking with friends...  oh, and she can create tornados, lighting storms, break the sound barrier... y'know... small details... that guys would find awesome...

I'm sure if Rarity could do those she'd be as popular XD

Edited by Malinter

The only answer I can give is why I dislike Rarity : she's arrogant, very, very selfish and I sometimes wonder if she doesn't stay with the other only for her own interest. She always makes me think of one of those silly noble unicorns of Canterlot - btw she openly says that she would like to be one of them - and thus is as unbearable as these unicorns are.

I am absolutely not saying that Rarity's character is badly made, because it's actually pretty well made, but I think I and a lot of people don't like her for the same reasons others like her.

Said it before, I'll say it again. Rarity is thee most misunderstood character of the show.

Rarity is multifaceted. She's the kind of character that you have to look beyond what you see.

Rainbow Dash is very strait forward, no nonsence, this is what I am, take it or leave it, which is why most people like her.

Rarity on the other hand, doesnt like showing the real side of her so she wears prim and prissy like a suit of armor. But only when you get past it can you see the real rarity within

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 3

Rarity on the other hand, doesnt like showing the real side of her so she wears prim and prissy like a suit of armor. But only when you get past it can you see the real rarity within

And it is a monster. Muhahahaha!!!!

j/k. Rarity has her moments like all ponies do. :)

The only answer I can give is why I dislike Rarity : she's arrogant, very, very selfish and I sometimes wonder if she doesn't stay with the other only for her own interest. She always makes me think of one of those silly noble unicorns of Canterlot - btw she openly says that she would like to be one of them - and thus is as unbearable as these unicorns are.

Honestly, I think her selfishness is way overstated by some of her detractors. And yes she envies the upper class, but it's really just the lifestyle she pines for, not the snobbish and silly attitudes they carry.

You know, I'm honestly surprised that a fandom with such a large artistic and creative community favors the athlete over the designer.

It is partly because people tend to relate to Rainbow Dash more because of her tomboyish personality and part of it is because they tend to play up Rarity's vain side for comedic effect in many of her supporting roles which I think really drags her down as a character and alot of people find it very annoying. I didn't like Rarity at first in large part because of that, out of all the ponies she is the one it took me the longest to warm up to. I liked Rainbow Dash but felt she was overrated at first because I kind of resented the fact that she was so much more popular than Applejack who has long been my favorite pony but her amazing character development in season 3 really won me over and made her my 3rd and then 2nd favorite pony. Rarity and Applejack both have the most untapped potential of the mane 6 but in a lot of cases it seems that don't even know what to do with them. Applejack had some amazing character development in season 3 but Rarity might as well have been a background pony with how little attention she got. I heard that Rarity is going to get a bit more attention in season 4 so we will see what they do with her then.

• Brohoof 2

I am a huge Rainbow Dash fan, but I do not dislike Rarity, as such I do not know why people are resentful toward Rarity. I have been in Rarity's position before, my father is a freelance ceramic tile installer, and we have had costumers like the ponies, we have had the overly specific, the know it when I see it, the do it yourself-know it all people, and numerous rush jobs because of impatience, furthermore I can relate to Rarity even as I behave similar to Rainbow Dash or Applejack. Rarity has my respect, and she like my father is a freelancer, and I tend to be into freelance myself, so to have any accomplishments away from people associated to a business is remarkable, and in a small town no less, while Rarity is not my radar, I like her nonetheless, and have enduring respect for her, so to anyone who dislikes Rarity, I can only recommend they watch Rarity episodes over again and try to take what you like, and if they opinions remain the same, just take what you like and forget the rest.    

• Brohoof 1

I have a friend that considers Rarity to be a bitch, so he doesn't like her. He also thinks that Rarity is self conceited, which I find interesting considering she represents generosity. He also really likes RD but I have no idea why. He just thinks she's cool I suppose.
that is exactly how one of my friends are 

Rarity and Applejack are kinda tied for my favorite pony.

I honestly dislike Rainbow Dash because she's an arrogant, cocky, little braggart who needs to seriously cut down on the egotism. Especially the part she thinks she's cool or awesome and some other ponies are not. She's condescending, and goes more towards the "Mary Sue" character than Twilight.

My favorites are anypony in the Apple family. Hence my last four avatars were all Apples. (Except Carrot Top, Quickfix, and Dust Devil.) Rarity is okay to me, and Applejack is my favorite pony overall, mostly because she's practical, realistic, and down to the ground. And despite being a farmer who's a bit dirty, she's organized and logical. 

I actually prefer rarity to rainbow dash.

I like rarity and her fans,

(but Dear God I love teasing them ^^). 

I mean sure rarity has lapses where she's a douche,

but with rainbow it's like a constant douche aura.

Pony most likely to listen to nickle back and smell like axe body spray.

Close eyes picturing her spraying it on going "ah yeah this is making me 20 percent cooler!"

Edited by FNGRpony

I actually really like rarity. When I first started watching the show i disliked her but she grew on me and I love her selfishness and melodrama because she doesn't mean anything bad by it, she just gets caught up in the moment. I like her a lot. she is a great character.

Rainbow dash is my least liked character. which is funny because before I actually watched the show I thought she was going to be my favorite. But I greatly dislike her ego. It's always so in-your-face and artificial. the whole oh looks she's really insecure she's jist trying to act tough most of the time thing is really annoying. I hate artificial personalities and that seems to be the base of her character.

I love Rarity and Rainbow Dash a lot :3

I don't understand the hate for Rarity. But It's partly because she doesn't really match her element of harmony

But...there have been times where AJ is dishonest and Rainbow is not loyal 

Another part is the personality of Rarity. She orders everypony around and is bossy 

There's one thing that fascinates me about the two characters and people's opinions of them. Both characters are confident, very egotistical and conceited, but they are pretty much opposites in the way they are conceited.
Rarity knows she's fabulous and isn't afraid to flaunt it, but at the same time she doesn't want to be the only fabulous pony out there. She values it so much that she wants other ponies to experience their own fabulosity too. She wants to elevate others to her own level. When they reach her level (like fluttershy when she becomes a model) her ego naturally feels jealous and threatened, but she she tries to override it because she wants to feel happy for her friends.
This is so different from Rainbow Dash's conceited style. Rainbow dash knows she's awesome and doesn't want want anyone to steal her spotlight. Any pony who threatens her spotlight is seen as an enemy/competition, and she'll even go as far as cheating at the expense of others. She's been seen calling for certain ponies or things as "uncool" to stoke her own ego, and doesn't usually seem to feel bad about it unless someone else chastises her.
This is why it confuses me how people are more willing to overlook RD's conceited obsession with being the best at the expense of others, but will totally call out a Rarity for "not being generous enough" and being too obsessed with her looks. There's nothing inherently wrong with being confident and proud of yourself, but it's a problem once you will do anything to remain on top.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 3

Regardless of whatever polls people have seen, judging how much a fanbase likes a character is actually trickier business than you'd think. For every person who likes Rainbow Dash for shallow or poorly thought out reasons, for example, there is another who will automatically recoil from her just because they don't think she deserves her popularity. Whatever the case, with every character there are loads of people who unfortunately miss the point of what makes the pony uniquely appealing. I admit to being one of these.

Both are very similar in several ways, but their differences are what should point to why they seem to have different numbers of fans. There's the obvious part where Dashie, being more a tomboy, will tend to be more relatable to a lot of the male audience than Rarity is. They are probably the two characters who display their faults the most, but to me at least, Dash feels like more of the kind of the kind of person who I might spend time with. Someone who knows how to enjoy themself, who will poke and dig at you a little, but will be the best help you could ask for during a bad time. Somewhat ironic, considering that I like to compare Rarity to one of the better friends I've had, and I've never actually had a friend quite like Rainbow.

I think it all comes down to more people feeling connected to Rainbow. Perhaps they feel that they are like her, perhaps they want to be more like her, and admire her positive traits. Maybe she feels more approachable. Whatever the case, I don't think their popularities are nearly as different as people think. There's a poll somewhere around this section asking which character people like better, and Rarity was holding her own and winning for close to the entire time.

It's funny how Rarity's vanity is "omg so annoying", while RD's arrogance is "a character-building flaw!". Double standards, anyone?

People will naturally find some characters' faults to be more forgivable than others. Also, to be fair, in my admittedly biased opinion Rainbow's flaws have been used to develop her character more than Rarity's, and in a more engaging way. All comes down to presentation and personal interpretation, I suppose. Rarity's attitude hardly bothers me most of the time, and I find Dashie's bluster to be cute and endearing. So it goes :catface:

Edited by Mikan Tsumiki
  • Brohoof 5