Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do so many people dislike Rarity so much and like Rainbow Dash so much?

Sazama Ichida

Rainbow Dash's bragging and selfishness is easier to excuse by hidden insecurity or being childish while Rarity feels more grown up.

For example, when Rarity doesn't really care about missing Angel Bunny in the castle it feels rather cold while Rainbow Dash's excuse would be rather insouciance. *shrug* Maybe that's just my opinion.

Rainbow Dash's bragging and selfishness is easier to excuse by hidden insecurity or being childish while Rarity feels more grown up.

For example, when Rarity doesn't really care about missing Angel Bunny in the castle it feels rather cold while Rainbow Dash's excuse would be rather insouciance. *shrug* Maybe that's just my opinion.

most broneys would been fine leaving angel bunny but when rarity wants to do it, ooo she's heartless. 

not that i wanna stick up for rarity over the bulk of the fan base.  I love you guys (LOL).

There's one thing that fascinates me about the two characters and people's opinions of them. Both characters are confident, very egotistical and conceited, but they are pretty much opposites in the way they are conceited.

Rarity knows she's fabulous and isn't afraid to flaunt it, but at the same time she doesn't want to be the only fabulous pony out there. She values it so much that she wants other ponies to experience their own fabulosity too. She wants to elevate others to her own level. When they reach her level (like fluttershy when she becomes a model) her ego naturally feels jealous and threatened, but she she tries to override it because she wants to feel happy for her friends.

This is so different from Rainbow Dash's conceited style. Rainbow dash knows she's awesome and doesn't want want anyone to steal her spotlight. Any pony who threatens her spotlight is seen as an enemy/competition, and she'll even go as far as cheating at the expense of others. She's been seen calling for certain ponies or things as "uncool" to stoke her own ego, and doesn't usually seem to feel bad about it unless someone else chastises her.

This is why it confuses me how people are more willing to overlook RD's conceited obsession with being the best at the expense of others, but will totally call out a Rarity for "not being generous enough" and being too obsessed with her looks. There's nothing inherently wrong with being confident and proud of yourself, but it's a problem once you will do anything to remain on top.

I think you've hit on something that I've never really understood about myself, and that's why I find Dash's particular form of self centeredness annoying, but have no problem when it comes to Rarity's vanity.  Dash's personality seems very much at odds with others in a way that Rarity's isn't.  By that I mean any time (at least until Wonderbolts Academy) her status as being the best is put to a challenge, she views that as a threat.  Whereas Rarity's greatest passion is sharing her fabulosity with others- wanting to look the best while also making sure her friends are as stylish as she is.  The only times she's really challenged is when she's face to face with her own ego, like how she feels about her jealousy in "Green isn't Your Color" or how she's torn between her friends and her ambition in "Sweet and Elite". 

This is why I've always felt like Rarity is the most self aware of her own flaws, and why I don't have a problem with them, whereas Dash often seems to be a bit thick headed and "all about *her*" when it comes to this sort of thing.

• Brohoof 1

Rarity is vain, people aren't to fond of those that are vain and obsessed over their personal appearance.

Thats just a natural thing for most (despite many are exactly as such, often those most vain aren't aware of it)

As for RD...

Despite many in RL will oust the tomboy girl for being weird and outright odd.

In fantasy for some reason they're often the most enjoyed...

Not entirely sure why though, she is very self centered. But she's also horribly loyal (something not often seen these days tbh)

Her self confidence and rather ragged look and style could also contribute to it. Many are attracted to excessive self confidence and the proverbial "winning attitude".

Not entirely sure why though, she is very self centered. But she's also horribly loyal (something not often seen these days tbh) Her self confidence and rather ragged look and style could also contribute to it. Many are attracted to excessive self confidence and the proverbial "winning attitude".

and she is quite full of herself.

and she is quite full of herself.

Hence "very self centered"

She says it best herself she "Hates losing"

and as such goes out of her way to prove she's better.

the recent episode pushed this, and even the rivalry between her and AJ.

Though I'm wondering AJ's stake in it.. to knock RD down a peg, simple enjoyment of competition, or tired of hearing RD brag all the time....

Edited by GrimCW

Though I'm wondering AJ's stake in it.. to knock RD down a peg, simple enjoyment of competition, or tired of hearing RD brag all the time....

competition and AJ is pretty stubborn to boot.( or would that be to Horse shoe?)

Because tomboys are fetishistic whereas fashion girls are not.

And no one was bullied by a tomboy.

Absolutely no rational reason for it.

I base this conclusion off of the fact that people who don't like Rarity have to a) lie (by which I mean use dishonest tactics) B) move the goal posts c) cherrypick and d) construct erroneous standards by which to judge her.

Want to prove me wrong? Construct a cogent argument without doing these things.

• Brohoof 1

Because tomboys are fetishistic whereas fashion girls are not.

And no one was bullied by a tomboy.

Absolutely no rational reason for it.

I base this conclusion off of the fact that people who don't like Rarity have to a) lie (by which I mean use dishonest tactics) B) move the goal posts c) cherrypick and d) construct erroneous standards by which to judge her.

Want to prove me wrong? Construct a cogent argument without doing these things.

well if i had to guess,

rarity fans them selves are well

heavy handed.  they come on a little strong.  even for bronies.  (watch i'm going to a angry reply and pm now).

I was having a long detailed discussion with sadist ghost

(who may or may not be a rarity fan, but seeing as how i'm bringing him up as an example you can take a guess)

even after smoothing things over from me being me,

there was a obvious in ability to take digs at the character as if to say

"No FNGR YOU MAY NOT!"

Now i take digs at all the characters and alot things I love.  Some people might take the "conform or else" stance as well,

challenge to their whole being.  I wouldn't know because I've never, ever, ever, ever, reacted poorly on a forum

(BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAH.  I'm sure no less than 3 mods did a spit take on that post).

It's this all or nothing attitude, for a character that I'm fine with having a middle ground with.  Hell i like rarity so much i'm prepare to fight to keep the middle ground,

where I would normally just give into going over to the other side out of spite because i was told to do something.

Hell i consider pinkie's de evolved into village idiot (at least recently)

and i still rank her 3.  (Granted rarity's 4, you might take that it self as a dig that even with pinkie pie being rolled back to village idiot pinkie still soundly beat her)

It's by how much i put space between how likeable the characters are.

if we get a couple more episodes like castlemania i could see putting rarity up as far as 2,

but i mean dear God who wants a couple more of castelmania?

That is not a cogent argument.

And what do you mean, a few more Castlemania eps would be Rarity at number two? I ask because so many episodes have demonstrated her superior value and talent as a character. So to pick Castlemania of all of them suggests that you're exactly who I am talking about when I express derision towards her critics.

To clarify, I'm not trying to be confrontational but the fact is that people were simply put off by her character and are justifying their disdain retroactively.

Made worse by the fact that Rarity has the most consistently good lineup of episodes and is the most complex character. 

And to add insult to injury these arguments are incredibly silly and only take whatever hold they have in the fandom because Rarity is so unrelatable to the audience.

Does this mean there are no genuine criticisms that can be made about Rarity? Certainly not, but her critics almost never make them and even when they do they never do so in a balanced manner.

So let's not pretend that it her fans' fault for simply not submitting.

I dislike both Rarity and Rainbow Dash the most out of the Mane 6 due to their arrogance

No, you dislike Rarity because of a demonstrably inaccurate opinion on Secret of My Excess.

You said this.

Edited by Whatevs

Simple,

I choose castlemania because rarity is the only character who shines in that episode. 

And explain to me what your talking about?

you mean people who saw dressed for success and wanted to quit?  (i wasn't even started yet and i was like WTFIT).

It wasn't my cup of tea.  it still isn't.  I liked sweet and elite.  I like the spike rarity episodes.

hell i thought rarity was more fun than rainbow was in sonic rainboom.

I like rarity more than rainbow dash and apple jack.  one cause dashie is very annoying,

and cause apple jack until recently doesn't get enough done with the character.  Yes apple buck season is a awesome episode.  and..... nothing.

as for submitting , i was talking about how her fans feel other fans should submit to their will. 
KINDA LIKE NOW.  I'm telling you rarity is 4th best pony out of 6.  your taking that as an insult.

I like the main six.

Rainbow dash is number six and even she has some good moments.  (wonder bolts academy).

I simply prefer flutter shy more, 1 (that might make me shallow but she's so darn adorable , but i can be fair she sucked in castlemania)

2 twilight sparkle (Arguable one) i've fought this one kicking and screaming, cause i don't like going with who the writing staff wants me to like, but she's a terrible fun and interesting character.  It really speaks for itself.

3 pinkie pie because she is literally all over the place.  and for alot people she shows the shows depth for episodes like party of one.

at the same time to much pinkie pie can be a huge head ache.  To much pinkie pie is like filling up on to much junk food.  ultimately not good for you.

4 Rarity, I enjoy what most people hate about her.  Her whinning, her greedyness, her fixations.

and i personally don't care about fashion.

now when she started to adventure for it, i kinda liked it.

does rarity have to appease me?
Nah.  I'm just stating my opinion.

5 jack's here because AJ doesn't get enough love from the writers.

6 I find rainbow the least likeable as you pointed out because maybe i find him (her) unrelatable.

That is not a cogent argument.

And what do you mean, a few more Castlemania eps would be Rarity at number two? I ask because so many episodes have demonstrated her superior value and talent as a character. So to pick Castlemania of all of them suggests that you're exactly who I am talking about when I express derision towards her critics.

To clarify, I'm not trying to be confrontational but the fact is that people were simply put off by her character and are justifying their disdain retroactively.

Made worse by the fact that Rarity has the most consistently good lineup of episodes and is the most complex character. 

And to add insult to injury these arguments are incredibly silly and only take whatever hold they have in the fandom because Rarity is so unrelatable to the audience.

Does this mean there are no genuine criticisms that can be made about Rarity? Certainly not, but her critics almost never make them and even when they do they never do so in a balanced manner.

So let's not pretend that it her fans' fault for simply not submitting.

No, you dislike Rarity because of a demonstrably inaccurate opinion on Secret of My Excess.

You said this.

Edited by FNGRpony

I gotcha. Just not your thing. 

I thought you were trying to 'challenge' me since that was what I invited.

Rainbow Dash was always my favorite because I can relate to her (I can't think of one thing I don't have in common with her) and plus, I love her design and she's just awesome.  I don't hate Rarity but to me she kind of actually seems self-centered a lot like when she wanted to get famous and not go to her friend's birthday.  Plus she's just really girly and cares about make up and clothes, stuff I couldn't care less about.  And another big reason is she acts like those typical popular girls who like going shopping all day and wearing make up.  I know girls like that who act like they're my friend one minute and ignore me the next, so yeah

Thanks for confirming the rarifan position. And btw, Faust specifically designed her to not be a shopaholic and rather be industrious enough to support her own pursuit for aesthetic beauty. You're welcome to try and show that the show proves this is untrue but until you do....

But more importantly I'm going to take on the argument regarding Sweet and Elite. Because quite simply this is the best specific argument the anti-Rarity camp has.

People like to point at this episode and say "look! Rarity was thinking of herself! Therefore we were right to dislike her since S1 and can now use this to categorically deny the virtue of her character!"

Slight problem: if that were true, would the episode not simply be a MMDW which portrays its focus character out of character? Because if this were true it would quite simply fly in the face of Rarity's characterization from episode like Suited for Success and Green Isn't Your Color.

Fortunately it isn't true. It's a cherrypicked example.

Why?

Well motives for one. Rarity did not do what she did for 'self centered' reasons. She did so because she feared the consequences of not doing so. She says "if I don't go, I will never be invited to another high society event again." Which would quite simply destroy her lifelong dream. And she lied to her friends because she felt guilty about disappointing them (she says "I'd hate to let them down"), and she lied to the Elites because she again feared that they would dismiss her for not being from Canterlot.

Now one can make the claim that these reasons don't justify her actions. They don't. But they make her mistakes the result of a poor decision making process rather than the product of selfishness like the anti-rarity camp tries to portray them (dishonesty).

It's also an idiotic statement to make when these kinds of indiscretions are common in this show. In fact, there was another episode written by McCarthy called Lesson Zero which has the same progression (character makes bad decisions to avoid bad outcome).

Edited by Whatevs
  • Brohoof 1

Rarity displays her element a lot differently than the other mane six, much less literally, I think. And so she appears not to represent her element much at all. Her desire for high social standings would probably seem awful to most people, and most people probably think it's immoral of Rarity to want that. She just isn't easy to relate to, save for certain cases.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hand, is the sporty, most "masculine" of the group with her love of competition and sports. A vast majority of bronies can relate to this.

SHOCKING REVELATION INCOMING!!!!

Allow me to solve this little mystery: how much people like certain characters relative to others is... entirely subjective. I know, I know, that's not really a full and satisfying explanation, but that's all there is to it in the end, and all there needs to be. All of the folks who are trying to highlight "double standards" or "hypocrisy" on the part of Rarity haters/Dash fans are wasting their time. Everypony brings their own personal experiences to the table and is going to react to things differently than you.

I'd also like to clear up another thing while I'm here: while Rarity and Dash may share some similarities, they are NOWHERE NEAR being similar characters. Asserting that bronies should like one of them because they like the other is just silly, because every single one of the Mane Six has so many distinguishing qualities. If Rarity and Dash were really so similar, Lauren Faust probably would have just combined the characters and saved herself and the other writers/animators a lot of trouble.

Personally, Dash is my second favorite of the Mane Six, and Rarity is down at the bottom. I have absolutely no use for fashion at all, while Dash is an athlete and I'm a huge sports fan, so... yeah. I'm a lot more willing to write at least some of her faults off as part of her competitive nature, whereas Rarity spends the entire length of "Sweet and Elite" lying to everyone in sight in a lame attempt to try and impress a bunch of ponies who were never worth impressing to begin with.

That isn't to say that I believe Rarity is a bad character. I don't think any of the Mane Six are bad characters. They're all fantastic characters, each in completely distinct ways, which is precisely why playing the "why don't people see things the way I do" game is a waste of effort. 

>who were never worth trying to impress to begin with

Too bad that was the entire point of the lesson, that she understood they weren't important and that being true to yourself and where you came from is. They call that character growth.

Dash learns far more obvious lessons and the whole show is about learning obvious life lessons.

So to use a lesson as a credible way of knocking a character is poor form to say the least,

Hay for not being my thing 4 is pretty high^^.

I gotcha. Just not your thing. 

I thought you were trying to 'challenge' me since that was what I invited.

Thanks for confirming the rarifan position.

But more importantly I'm going to take on the argument regarding Sweet and Elite. Because quite simply this is the best specific argument the anti-Rarity camp has.

People like to point at this episode and say "look! Rarity was thinking of herself! Therefore we were right to dislike her since S1 and can now use this to categorically deny the virtue of her character!"

Slight problem: if that were true, would the episode not simply be a MMDW which portrays its focus character out of character? Because if this were true it would quite simply fly in the face of Rarity's characterization from episode like Suited for Success and Green Isn't Your Color.

Fortunately it isn't true. It's a cherrypicked example.

Why?

Well motives for one. Rarity did not do what she did for 'self centered' reasons. She did so because she feared the consequences of not doing so. She says "if I don't go, I will never be invited to another high society event again." Which would quite simply destroy her lifelong dream. And she lied to her friends because she felt guilty about disappointing them (she says "I'd hate to let them down"), and she lied to the Elites because she again feared that they would dismiss her for not being from Canterlot.

Now one can make the claim that these reasons don't justify her actions. They don't. But they make her mistakes the result of a poor decision making process rather than the product of selfishness like the anti-rarity camp tries to portray them (dishonesty).

It's also an idiotic statement to make when these kinds of indiscretions are common in this show. In fact, there was another episode written by McCarthy called Lesson Zero which has the same progression (character makes bad decisions to avoid bad outcome).

Look if you want me being terribly cheeky about rarity,

^^. my in character response on why she'd made a great villian.  My oc is a changeling, so it's meant as a complement.

Yes you don't need to defend rarity to me, or against me.

you sir will never top this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrBma4OPLw0  this is some true grade rarity fan boying and i loved it LOL.

I find that level of passion endearing.

I think people have off days, and taking those off days into account, where people make bad decisions,

friends family, ponies,

sweet and elite is rarity having a bad moral day.

and the fact she has a bad moral day is why it's a fun episode.

Rarity is actually quite selfish for the element of genirosity

Care to qualify that? And you have to do it using genuine examples. Not stuff like "for a joke she made AJ carry something."

Admittedly I don't care for those jokes but I recognize they have no bearing on her character.

Care to qualify that? And you have to do it using genuine examples. Not stuff like "for a joke she made AJ carry something."

Admittedly I don't care for those jokes but I recognize they have no bearing on her character.

well if i had to answer,

are you familiar with white wolfs vampire the masquired.

for all intensive purposes,

rarity is a torrid-ore.  She's bedazzled by aesthetics.

If you hate aesthetics your not likely to like rarity.

If your awe inspired of beauty for beauties sake you'd likely love her.

if you feel that's shallow, you won't.

I've learned to understand the middle ground.

you have to understand alot people don't want that middle ground cause that literally changes who they are.

well if i had to answer,

are you familiar with white wolfs vampire the masquired.

for all intensive purposes,

rarity is a torrid-ore.  She's bedazzled by aesthetics.

If you hate aesthetics your not likely to like rarity.

If your awe inspired of beauty for beauties sake you'd likely love her.

if you feel that's shallow, you won't.

I've learned to understand the middle ground.

you have to understand alot people don't want that middle ground cause that literally changes who they are.

I'm not sure what your point is. I was not responding to you. I was responding to someone else.

I will respond to your video, but only until I watch it.

I respect your position, as far as I understand it

I'm not sure what your point is. I was not responding to you. I was responding to someone else.

I will respond to your video, but only until I watch it.

I respect your position, as far as I understand it

i know you didn't, but i had an answer so i shared it.  Kinda like how pinkie blurts shit out

"I always let my imagination run away from me!"

I apologize as my reply did not have any cake.

>who were never worth trying to impress to begin with

Too bad that was the entire point of the lesson, that she understood they weren't important and that being true to yourself and where you came from is. They call that character growth.

Dash learns far more obvious lessons and the whole show is about learning obvious life lessons.

So to use a lesson as a credible way of knocking a character is poor form to say the least,

Exactly. Note that I immediately added the qualifier after that Rarity isn't an objectively bad character. Just that this isn't one of her better moments. Any anti-Rarity person who points this out isn't being a hater. You may think he's missing the point, and heck, maybe you're right. But it's kind of hard to say that you KNOW that.

I don't dislike Rarity at all; far from it. I love all of the Mane Six, and I'm actually warming up to her a bit more lately than I did initially, simply because I'm seeing more likable traits/mannerisms (or the simple "fun to watch" X-factor) in her than I used to. It's just that she's lagging a tad behind the others. I willingly acknowledge that this is an entirely subjective judgment call on my part. You'd do well to do the same. I humbly submit that forcefully arguing on points with people who say negative things about Rarity isn't doing Rarity any favors. There aren't many people who actually "hate" any of these characters. We're in this together; let's act like it.  ^_^

Okay... I REALLY don't want this to descend into a silly and petty flame war, but it must be said: either I missed the memo on that one, or one of us needs to look up the definition of "fact".

Along with "subjective" and "opinion", come to think of it. XD

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I don't see how Rarity can represent generosity when she seems so worried about herself, her appearance and such. I see her as a selfish sort of character. Yes, she can be generous at times but, to me, the majority of the time, she's more concerned about her well being then any other pony.

When it comes to Rainbow Dash, She's not my favourite pony, but even though she's a show off and is proud of her abilities, she knows what comes first and doesn't seem to hesitate much when a friend is in need.

When it comes the the Elements of Harmony, I can't see how Rarity is the pony of generosity. 

I suppose my opinion is one sided because I don't see how I can relate to Rarity. I never got on with the prissy fashion girls in school. I was the tomboy who didn't mind getting dirty and active. So I feel like I can relate to Rainbow Dash more in that respect.