Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How much of the new discord do we need?

FNGRpony

Oh if you hate the show now and or the new discord your posting will not be required for this thread ^^.

(I'm looking at that guy with the stupid death family guy gimmick).

Now look i asked this before but things have changed.

Before i saw discord as a character where less was more.

but now he can be the one who teaches the lessons.

at least the more stiff ones.  which begs the question how much discord do we need now per season?

john already said he was booked for 1-2 episodes so we're fresh out of him for now.

i think Discord this season is going to be that wise old sage who always has great advice but thinks it's more fun not to give it and watch as the cast runs around trying to figure it out. So personally i'd say every 3-4 episodes just based on how much i like seeing him vs how often he should appear in order to not tire out.

• Brohoof 3

i think Discord this season is going to be that wise old sage who always has great advice but thinks it's more fun not to give it and watch as the cast runs around trying to figure it out. So personally i'd say every 3-4 episodes just based on how much i like seeing him vs how often he should appear in order to not tire out.

↑ This. Although seeing Discord once-per-season does make his appearance more dramatic, actually

I'm okay with the new Discord, we'll probably see more of him in this season. As long as we don't have too much of him in any episodes, then it doesn't matter to me.

Edited by Scootalove

I love discord, he's just a funny character, with all the random stuff that he does. I, not only would not mind, but would happily accept him having more screen time. I do agree that having him in too many episodes would be detrimental to him as a character though.

This is kinda a spoiler, but I'm going to put the really spoil-y part in the spoiler box. ;)

So kinda spoil-y part is, Discord is definitely going to be seen at least once more the season because...

HE IS GOING TO HAVE A SONG!!! WOO!

that winter wrap up thing was his song LOL.

Discord will end up being comic relief if he doesn't go villain again.

To be honest, I think it's kind of sad for him to be tamed like that. I prefer the villain Discord.

He still is a villian.  He's a bad guy good people hang out with.

He's bender.

Let me spin an ultra depresing out come with discord.

he screws up one to many times and flutter shy cuts him off as a friend.

and it ruins him.  Discord goes away a shell of his former self and that's how the episode ends.  Maybe with rainbow dash telling flutter shy "your better off with out that loser." 

It's something that could happen.

I've suspended my disbelief with the discord thing.  I truly believe it could go in any number of ways.  i like that.

The odds if it going south are pretty good.

I expect discord to have to make that series choice between good and evil some day,

and really make it this time,

not on a whim but when the chips are down.

• Brohoof 1

They could very easily overuse Discord, so they have to be really careful. I do hope we see him again, but he is best enjoyed in small amounts. The thing about him turning evil again is that he never was to begin with, IMHO. It's just fun seeing him annoy Twilight and the rest. I especially love him pissing off Celestia.

I see Discord sort of like a secret teacher to Twilight since he seems to interact with her he most and both teaching her and motivating her to do things.

I like this Discord as he's just as funny/snarky as before. I don't know why everyone else wants him to be an evil douche.

He still is a villian.  He's a bad guy good people hang out with.

He's bender.

Let me spin an ultra depresing out come with discord.

he screws up one to many times and flutter shy cuts him off as a friend.

and it ruins him.  Discord goes away a shell of his former self and that's how the episode ends.  Maybe with rainbow dash telling flutter shy "your better off with out that loser." 

It's something that could happen.

I've suspended my disbelief with the discord thing.  I truly believe it could go in any number of ways.  i like that.

The odds if it going south are pretty good.

I expect discord to have to make that series choice between good and evil some day,

and really make it this time,

not on a whim but when the chips are down.

That is exactly what the production staff tried to do with Keep Calm and Flutter On.

This already happened, in a way.

Edited by moonlightavenger
  • Brohoof 1

So you would think, except John de Lancie said it's a really fast song and Meghan McCarthy said it has a ton of words. :D

he also said 1-2 episoes.  well he had 1-2 episodes.    Look john is welcome in our house as much as he wants.

I'm be happy to be wrong, just don't count on it.

That is exactly what the production staff tried to do with Keep Calm and Flutter On.

This already happened, in a way.

well no... no it didn't happen LOL.  He cowed down to keep from being shunned by flutter shy.

it was madness to say "it's resolved." because discord is still discord.

And judging by the newest episode, i think he's worse.

Friend ship to discord is a brand new toy.

that's his conflict.

How much of himself can be be while keeping his new toy.

that's an on going struggle.

that's discords hook.  If you don't like it, well yeah your not gonna like the new discord.

I would ordinarily say "You can never have too much Discord!" but that's probably because we've seen very little of him in the first place. I would like to see more of him, seeing as Return of Harmony 1 & 2 is not only my favorite season opener, but catch me on the right day and I'll say it's my favorite episode. 

So...probably a moderate amount? I don't want to be overexposed to him.

I would ordinarily say "You can never have too much Discord!" but that's probably because we've seen very little of him in the first place. I would like to see more of him, seeing as Return of Harmony 1 & 2 is not only my favorite season opener, but catch me on the right day and I'll say it's my favorite episode. 

So...probably a moderate amount? I don't want to be overexposed to him.

well again i've suggested he's the lesson giver.

Is him at the start and the end of "lesson" episodes to much?  I mean that wouldn't be a ton of air time.

well no... no it didn't happen LOL.  He cowed down to keep from being shunned by flutter shy. it was madness to say "it's resolved." because discord is still discord.   And judging by the newest episode, i think he's worse. Friend ship to discord is a brand new toy. that's his conflict.   How much of himself can be be while keeping his new toy. that's an on going struggle. that's discords hook.  If you don't like it, well yeah your not gonna like the new discord.

I didn't like him from the first episode he appeared...

You are saying that Discord's situation is not resolved yet. That we can't know if he is going to be an ally or an enemy. Or even if he is going to even align himself one way or another. Is that right?

I don't really count the two part episode as his two appearances. I see these episodes as a extended story intertwined together, so that would only account his appears once. Also John said that he had did voice work for 4-5 episodes overall as well as a song, so I am sure there will be atleast one more appearance. He stated the song separately so that implies he will have a episode dedicated to him singing not just some 5 second scene of him sing Winter wrapup.

well again i've suggested he's the lesson giver.

Is him at the start and the end of "lesson" episodes to much?  I mean that wouldn't be a ton of air time.

Ehhh...

Discord has never, at least in my mind, fit into the whole master-apprentice thing. Maybe if the season was purely about reforming Discord, and the girls were teaching the lessons to him. But otherwise, I don't think it would fit. ^^ 

And seeing him in every episode would erase part of his charm, I suppose. I don't know, I'll have to think about it.

I didn't like him from the first episode he appeared...

You are saying that Discord's situation is not resolved yet. That we can't know if he is going to be an ally or an enemy. Or even if he is going to even align himself one way or another. Is that right?

you don't have to like discord. 

yeah, we really don't.  I think discord likes the idea of friend ship.  He's 1000 years old and he has a new toy.  A new fancy.  What happens when flutter shy isn't the only friend in town?  Why is she special (okay i know why but why is she special to discord?)

Lets step out of the doe eyed fan girl pairing of flutter shy and dicord are BFF's for ever.  (wow did i burn a big bridge....crap do i wanna do this?  to late)

what if Chyselesias or frixie became discords new friend.

someone less demanding.  I mean he likes friend ship, but why does he value flutter shy herself out side of "this is my only friend."

I mean if discord was willing to play flutter shy for a sucker who's to stop someone else to "work discord"

so to speak?

Ehhh...

Discord has never, at least in my mind, fit into the whole master-apprentice thing. Maybe if the season was purely about reforming Discord, and the girls were teaching the lessons to him. But otherwise, I don't think it would fit. ^^ 

And seeing him in every episode would erase part of his charm, I suppose. I don't know, I'll have to think about it.

I love Kp likened the new discord to that head master from Slitheren house in harry potter.

Not every teacher has to be likeable.  Far from it.  I've wanted to see more painful lessons to be taught,

and with discord at the head of the class,

if i was a gambling man (here's a hint I am)

I like the way class is going ^^.

I think that at this point Discord is best used as a morally unpredictable or morally neutral trickster that you don't know whether to trust or not, which is sort of what he was in the premiere. And I think they should use him only a couple more times. Use him too often from now on and you risk turning him into comic relief.

• Brohoof 3

Considering how discord is one of my favorite characters and i love his humor, and his overall character, i am fine with quite alot ;p.

Realistically i feel like he'll be around here and there being a bit neutral  like he was in the premier maybe giving some advice in his own way, maybe being cryptic, he probably won't flat out help the mane 6 ever, but he'll offer some advice in well, his own odd way, not a better way i can put it really ;p.

I can see him showing a few more times. Not having any like big big roles, but being in a few episodes.

I think that at this point Discord is best used as a morally unpredictable or morally neutral trickster that you don't know whether to trust or not, which is sort of what he was in the premiere. And I think they should use him only a couple more times. Use him too often from now on and you risk turning him into comic relief.

And we already have Pinkie as a kind of comic-relief character :)

Edited by JonPear

Yeah, I agree with this. That role suits him well, as does that ratio (though they'll probably have him far less, seeing as he's only got one or two more episode appearances, I believe).

• Brohoof 1