Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When did you discover ponies?

Vinyl Scratch the DJ

The Tsunami that hit Japan in March of last year knocked out our MMO that all my friends and I were playing. So outta boredom we roamed the forums of the MMO and everyone had changed their avatars to ponies and were posting pony art all over the place. We all were like what is up with the ponies!? So we youtubed the first 2 episodes. before we knew it we were on episode 16 >.>

I was selling artwork at a Local con, first time in 6 years, and Mic the Microphone, I did not know who he was, stopped by for a badge. Before I knew it he was stopping by for an hour or so each day of the con to chat ponies with me. After that I became a Brony, erm Pegasister.

~Rozga

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter has been a fan of MLP since the G3 days. She's autistic and developmentally delayed so she was into G3 all the way to age 9 or so.

I watched the G3 show with her, usually patiently, but often not so. Then along came the transition to FiM, and at once I knew this was different. "Hey, this is a lot like The Powerpuff Girls" I thought. (little did I know at that time) And soon I was laughing my butt off, especially at "I got the tiiiiicket. I got the tiiicket." and "SHE KINDA IS!!!!"

But the moment truly came with Call of the Cutie, specifically the scene where Twist opens the door. Before that episode I still mostly watched the show because our daughter did. But seeing AB so totally destroyed with that little quivering lip made me gasp, "OH CRAP! What is she going to do now?!" That was the moment when I realized that I was truly hooked on the show because I had begun to genuinely care about the characters and what motivates them.

I discovered ponies in April 2011 on the xkcd fora. There was an MLP thread in the TV & Movies subforum and the first post linked to the first episode. I ended up watching all of season 1 in order. It was Dragonshy that sealed my fate. The rest is history. :)

April 4, 2011.

My Little Fortress: Teamwork is Magic appears on HALOLZ.

A young Internetizen known as ANS1 watches the video, enjoys it, and moves on.

June 13, 2011.

The netizen mentioned earlier encounters the Pinkie Sphere on Youtube.

The word 'pony' summons memories of the earlier video.

ANS1's curiosity is aroused.

June 28, 2011.

ANS1 has explored several forums and youtube videos, tracking down the source of pony.

He finally arrives on his perceived goal: Equestria Daily.

ANS1 begins his research.

July 02, 2011.

ANS1 declares his interest in the fandom, thereby becoming a Brony.

ANS1 changes his name to a stupid name that he am now embarrassed by, that eventually becomes Fisherpon.

Sometime in August

Fisherpon realizes that he should probably actually watch the show so that he can understand the foundation of the fandom.

Fisherpon watches all of Season 1 over a week, then begins eagerly awaiting Season Two.

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend got into it before I did, and she showed me some songs and the first two episodes. I admit I didn't like it all that much at first, past thinking it was just another cute children's show. Boy was I wrong. So a little while later, just before the Hearts and Hooves day episode came out, I was bored one night and decided to give the first two episodes another watch. Best decision I ever made. The second time I absolutely loved them, and quickly downloaded the entire first season as well as watching as many as I could that night. Within a few days I was completely caught up, and COMPLETELY obsessed. I got my little sister into it, and met many great friends because of this show, in real life and online.

discovered or RE-discovered?.....as a kid i was always over at a friend of my moms house being babysat..the lil girl there had ponys...soo..yeah..i played ponys with her..i may have outgrown those g1/g2 ponys BUT i never let go of the love of unicorns and pegs...FIM simply brought me back to me roots so to speak thru my love of cartoons and by simple mistake of having the tv on a cartoon channel before bed..woke up to strawberry shortcake thinking oh..great they remade THAT?!?!? ..in a dazed sleepyness i hear twi then the pony theme and was like ok..thats kinda catchy..girly but catchy ...dashie is who sucked me into it and held my full attention at which point i hunted down every last episode as i didnt find it till sometime after season 1 had ended...so i had ALOT of catching up todo..then i found everything on the net ..and everything is history from there and rekindled my pony collecting...

Yeah, what does that matter?

I suspect they asked because it's extremely unusual for a male to be interested in MLP prior to G4.

Either that or you're about to be hit on. ;)

I suspect they asked because it's extremely unusual for a male to be interested in MLP prior to G4.

Well, too bad for them. I'm only going for the autographs. Other than that, I'll be locked up alone in my hotel room.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a fan of Lauren Faust since she and her hubby Craig McCracken worked on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Or, actually, way back when they worked on The Power Puff Girls, though I never got heavily into the PPGs like I did Foster's. I had the pleasure of meeting them both at San Diego's Comic Con back in '09. As I was already an avid fan of hers, I knew the show was coming out before most the rest of the world did. I LOVED the ponies growing up in the '80s, so I was super excited to see the finished project. Naturally, it didn't take much to fall in love with it. :D

I had been miserable when I discovered ponies. It was late, and I was just about to get offline when my brother started bothering me on Facebook chat. We hadn't chatted in a while, and I was crazy lonely, so I stayed up. He asked whether I'd seen FiM, and when I said no he sent that picture of sad Apple Bloom. I thought he was just joking around, but when he sent me a clip of Twilight meeting Fluttershy, I decided I would watch the first episode based on how cute it was.

I don't remember if I'd even told him about the sort of day I'd had, or if he just had wonderful timing, but it was the best thing he could have done for me at that point.

As for when this was? I think Season One had just ended, or was about to end.

From my post in Official Introduction

It wasn't hard for me to get into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'm a kid at heart, I like cute adorable things, and can enjoy watching good girly shows like Powerpuff Girls and the Tinkerbell movies. The first G4 MLP thing I saw was the ponified Spike Pilgrim trailer that was posted on the Scott Pilgrim Facebook wall, which I liked so much that I shared it on my Facebook wall. But it was the Know Your Meme episode about MLP that got me to realize that the new show wasn't the same old thing and was worth checking out.

It wasn't until a couple of months later during the summer after season one ended that I was able to give the series a serious go. I couldn't sleep one evening so I watched ten episodes in a row via YouTube. I liked it, but didn't feel compelled to watch any more until months later when I added the HUB network to my cable lineup to record some more episodes to watch. After I purchased season one from iTunes, bought a season pass to season two, and bought an Apple TV to watch them on my HDTV, I faced that I'm no longer just had an on-the-fence fondness for the show, but was a full-on brony.

There's a lot to like about My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, but it would have been just a show to watch then delete from my TiVo if wasn't for the active fandom online. I don't even delve that deep. I routinely check out My Little Brony and the MLP picture section of Know Your Meme (which has several hundred fan art pics uploaded to it every day,) and my interaction is limited to reading and replying to the brony comments of the pics. But when I watch videos like

, it makes me want to meet with other Bronies in person. So I'm looking forward to the Everfree con very much!

Well, too bad for them. I'm only going for the autographs. Other than that, I'll be locked up alone in my hotel room.

If you're concerned about unwanted attention, I just wanted for you to know that the Everfree con has your back on this issue. I expect you'll enjoy the con without any problems, but don't hesitate to report any problems you may encounter.

I liked the older pony generations when I was younger. I had a lot of old pony toys, and although I thought they were pretty neat, I eventually decided it was time to give them away. Now, years later, I was flipping through the TV channels and ran into FiM. It was episode 14 of Season 1, Suited for Success, where Rarity has her little breakdown. The art style, the smooth animation, and the story captivated me, which I thought was strange because I didn't know just how popular it is among older audiences. I finally managed to break myself away from watching, but later I saw someone raving about it in a comment after surfing around the 'net for a bit. Then I decided to look into it more. After watching the first episode in its entirety, I was hooked.