Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Applejack Wary of Magic?

ScarfaceOne

To me it seems like she is, look at her and Twilight Sparkle in Winter Wrap Up.

Applejack: Nuts Twilight you used magic!!

Spike: The Nerve Can't you believe it?

Applejack: That's not how we do it twilight, and ESPECIALLY NOT ON MY FARM!!!

Twilight: But i just wanted to, Oh!!*In Tears*

This is proof that Applejack seems to hate magic, and also. What does Spike mean by ''The Nerve, Can you believe it?''

spike like the child he is is just trying to avoid being scolded by AJ.

AJ doesn't hate magic, she's just mad that Twilight broke the tradition of not using magic in the most traditional place in all of ponyville. Her Farm.

Edited by Malinter
  • Brohoof 3

Winter Wrap Up has a no magic clause, not counting Pegasus for some reason... O_O

Applejack doesn't seem to be adverse to magic any other time. Twilight uses Magic to work on the farm in both the Cider competition and in the episode Applebuck Season. Applejack has never really complained about magic any other time except for Winter Wrap Up in which it is against the rules.

As for Spike's comment he convinced Twilight to use magic and when she is caught he is chastising her so he won't be blamed.

All ponies are magical on some level so I doubt a pony could hate magic, but rather be jealous of another's level of magic.

They could certainly hate and fear dark magic easily enough and perhaps mistake one for another.

All ponies are magical on some level so I doubt a pony could hate magic, but rather be jealous of another's level of magic.

They could certainly hate and fear dark magic easily enough and perhaps mistake one for another.

sweetie bell can't use magic.

i imagine a pony who never developed her magical powers could really hate magic.

in which it is against the rules.

exactly this. Applejack is the element of honesty, and not playing it by the rules is dishonest.

i think that's the reason why she reacted the way she did. 

• Brohoof 3

So then, did AJ Eventually know that Spike told TS to do it?

Winter Wrap Up has a no magic clause, not counting Pegasus for some reason... O_O

Applejack doesn't seem to be adverse to magic any other time. Twilight uses Magic to work on the farm in both the Cider competition and in the episode Applebuck Season. Applejack has never really complained about magic any other time except for Winter Wrap Up in which it is against the rules.

As for Spike's comment he convinced Twilight to use magic and when she is caught he is chastising her so he won't be blamed.

So then, If it is against the rules, is it Cheating?

''No Kirk you cheated!!!'' Trelane, You know, if William Campbell was still alive and Bronies were around the 80s, He would voice Discord!!!

You are reading a bit too much into it, Applejack didn't hate that Twilight used magic she hated that Twilight used magic to violate the "winter wrap up" tradition. In Boast Busters when Twilight was so concerned about being seen as a show off, everypony including Applejack reassured her that it was Trixie who was the show and not her.

So then, If it is against the rules, is it Cheating?

Uh, yeah. Breaking established rules for an advantage is literally the definition of cheating.

Edited by ALIS

Isn't the fact that this tradition excludes magic (which would help out greatly) make this tradition kind of racist toward unicorns. I mean if Pegasus are allow to manipulate weather then why couldn't Twilight use magic to move a plow? I can understand a tradition that is cosmetic in the terms that they can still be themselves as long as they wear the required attire.  But a tradition that shuns the abilities of a specific race is just wrong in my eyes and the other ponies should be aware of this. Even if this tradition was made before the 3 races came together that does not excuse it as it should have adapted to the change.

Edited by LordDiscord

Isn't the fact that this tradition excludes magic (which would help out greatly) make this tradition kind of racist toward unicorns. I mean if Pegasus are allow to manipulate weather then why couldn't Twilight use magic to move a plow? I can understand a tradition that is cosmetic in the terms that they can still be themselves as long as they wear the required attire.  But a tradition that shuns the abilities of a specific race is just wrong in my eyes and the other ponies should be aware of this. Even if this tradition was made before the 3 races came together that does not excuse it as it should have adapted to the change.

No regular unicorn can use magic like Twilight can, and every other unicorn doesn't use their magic (hence rarity's frustration at not undoing Twilight's nest). If they can stick to the rules then so should Twilight.

And as we can clearly tell from spike, there wouldn't even be a winter wrap up if they used magic like canterlot.

• Brohoof 1

I never said any of the unicorns had a problem that they could not use magic, its just that shouldn't one of the fundamental forces in Equestria be something they utilise in a tradition such as winter wrap up, true not all unicorns can use magic like Twilight but they can still use some form of magic and after all this isn't a competition, so Twilight magic being more powerful should not matter. All I am saying is that as one of Twilights friends, AppleJack should have atleast given her the benefit of the doubt considering it was her first Winter wrap up, or at least have not been so blunt about it considering she is preventing Twilight from using one of her greatest attributes.

It would only be racist if they actually excluded unicorns.  It's not shunning their abilities as much as it's stressing the value of hard work and physical labor.  Even the pegasi manipulating the weather is still physical in nature. 

• Brohoof 2

So, then, As i was saying, were the arguements over the past three Winter-wrap-ups also caused by racism?

Yes they were.

Why? Because Ponyville is exactly like Jim Crow America or Apartheid South Africa. Racial violence periodically breaks out and it has the highest Unicorn suicide rate in all of Equestria from all the oppressive suffering. Mass graves full of unicorn dissidents can be found around Sweet Apple Acre's. There is literally an above ground railroad to Canterlot that dozens of Unicorns use every day.

Or perhaps:

Twilight Sparkle: Spike, the first day of spring is tomorrow, so every pony in Ponyville needs to clean up winter. Now help me get ready.

Spike: Clean up winter? Who cleans up winter? Don't they just use magic to change the seasons like they do in Canterlot?

It is a silly little holiday that the town takes pride in and you are trying to make big KKK Mountains out of the animal teams Molehills.

O_O

Edited by ALIS
  • Brohoof 2

For what it's worth I think you're looking at it a little too closely OP. Applejack was upset that a tradition was broken and she overreacted, badly. Heck she made Twilight cry and she was already worried. And it actually was a completion between the different cities and Ponyville always lost.

For what it's worth I think you're looking at it a little too closely OP. Applejack was upset that a tradition was broken and she overreacted, badly. Heck she made Twilight cry and she was already worried. And it actually was a completion between the different cities and Ponyville always lost.

It's not a competition.

It's just that Winter needs to be wrapped up on a certain day.

• Brohoof 1

It's not a competition.

It's just that Winter needs to be wrapped up on a certain day.

Depends on how you define competition. Having a dead line and never attaining it is a loss. I haven't seen it recently, but the mayor really wanted to finish on time. Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Depends on how you define competition. Having a dead line and never attaining it is a loss. I haven't seen it recently, but the mayor really wanted to finish on time.

She also speaks of Winter Wrap uo in the sense that other places are also doing it. (excluding Canterlot which cheats)

Depends on how you define competition. Having a dead line and never attaining it is a loss. I haven't seen it recently, but the mayor really wanted to finish on time.

I don't think of it as "win" and "lose", more like "success" and "failure".

Of course you want to succeed rather than fail, especially if you feel that other town leaders will judge you for not getting your job done.

She also speaks of Winter Wrap uo in the sense that other places are also doing it. (excluding Canterlot which cheats)

There's no "cheating". There's just cultural differences.

Unicorn-founded towns and cities would use magic to clean up.

Earth ponies can't. And if you take pride in the fact that they got it done anyway and want to honor tradition, you're not going to use magic.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 3