Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Applejack Wary of Magic?

ScarfaceOne

Yes they were.

Why? Because Ponyville is exactly like Jim Crow America or Apartheid South Africa. Racial violence periodically breaks out and it has the highest Unicorn suicide rate in all of Equestria from all the oppressive suffering. Mass graves full of unicorn dissidents can be found around Sweet Apple Acre's. There is literally an above ground railroad to Canterlot that dozens of Unicorns use every day.

Or perhaps:

Twilight Sparkle: Spike, the first day of spring is tomorrow, so every pony in Ponyville needs to clean up winter. Now help me get ready.

Spike: Clean up winter? Who cleans up winter? Don't they just use magic to change the seasons like they do in Canterlot?

It is a silly little holiday that the town takes pride in and you are trying to make big KKK Mountains out of the animal teams Molehills.

O_O

Yes they were.

Why? Because Ponyville is exactly like Jim Crow America or Apartheid South Africa. Racial violence periodically breaks out and it has the highest Unicorn suicide rate in all of Equestria from all the oppressive suffering. Mass graves full of unicorn dissidents can be found around Sweet Apple Acre's. There is literally an above ground railroad to Canterlot that dozens of Unicorns use every day.

Or perhaps:

Twilight Sparkle: Spike, the first day of spring is tomorrow, so every pony in Ponyville needs to clean up winter. Now help me get ready.

Spike: Clean up winter? Who cleans up winter? Don't they just use magic to change the seasons like they do in Canterlot?

It is a silly little holiday that the town takes pride in and you are trying to make big KKK Mountains out of the animal teams Molehills.

O_O

Oooh, How Feasible!!! I Like the way you did that!!! Probably true!!! That Ponyville is the same as apartheid, P.S, Rip Nelson Mandela.

There's no "cheating". There's just cultural differences.

Unicorn-founded towns and cities would use magic to clean up.

Earth ponies can't. And if you take pride in the fact that they got it done anyway and want to honor tradition, you're not going to use magic.

I bet if you asked any earth pony, they'd call using magic cheating (even though it isn't)

Edited by Malinter

For what it's worth I think you're looking at it a little too closely OP. Applejack was upset that a tradition was broken and she overreacted, badly. Heck she made Twilight cry and she was already worried. And it actually was a completion between the different cities and Ponyville always lost.

Ah, So Winter Wrap up is between Ponyville, Cloudsdale and Canterlot! And Canterlot wins!!!

I bet if you asked any earth pony, they'd call using magic cheating (even though it isn't)

... Yes. That is TOTALLY indicated in the show.

Really there are things that shouldn't always be handled magically.

And with the exceptions of Magic-based talents like Twilight, they CAN'T always be handled that way. As stated in Boast Busters, unicorns usually only have little magic that pertains to their special gifts. And that doesn't make them better than Earth ponies, because Earth ponies have abilities that the other two races don't too.

Unicorns can use magic.

Pegasi can fly and control weather.

Earth ponies are physically stronger and have a connection to the nature.

Oooh, How Feasible!!! I Like the way you did that!!! Probably true!!! That Ponyville is the same as apartheid, P.S, Rip Nelson Mandela.

Yeah, you're pretty much just trollin'.

• Brohoof 1

Seems like an interesting concept, but I doubt she's wary of magic.

She was just upset at the moment, but that would make sense of why she prefers to do stuff that hard way rather than magic like with the help of twilight.

After all. we saw Twilight clear on entire orchard all by herself. The apples are gonna need some unicorns in their bloodline if industrialisation kicks in. :P

... Yes. That is TOTALLY indicated in the show.

Really there are things that shouldn't always be handled magically.

And with the exceptions of Magic-based talents like Twilight, they CAN'T always be handled that way. As stated in Boast Busters, unicorns usually only have little magic that pertains to their special gifts. And that doesn't make them better than Earth ponies, because Earth ponies have abilities that the other two races don't too.

Unicorns can use magic.

Pegasi can fly and control weather.

Earth ponies are physically stronger and have a connection to the nature.

Yeah, you're pretty much just trollin'.

I think you may have brought up a catch 22.

using magic is cheating, in the context of that scene.  Correct?

But earth ponies magic is their connection to nature.

So aren't the earth ponies cheating? 

1it's magic

2 it's an inherit advantage.

I think you may have brought up a catch 22.

using magic is cheating, in the context of that scene.  Correct?

But earth ponies magic is their connection to nature.

So aren't the earth ponies cheating? 

1it's magic

2 it's an inherit advantage.

I think it's a little bit different.

Just about everything in Equestria is connected to magic in some way, at least from my perspective. But there's no magic involved when you're pushing a plow, or skating on the ice, or building a bird nest, or shoveling the snow off of rooftops. That's all done with physical labor, even if all creatures in Equestria are connected to magic in some way. Even the pegasi are using physical labor to change the weather.

What they don't want is unicorn magic simply teleporting the snow away or immediately melting it (which would be a bad idea anyway, since Fluttershy pointed out the animals need to be woken up gently first). Basically anything that takes away the actual labor involved. Magic isn't so much "cheating" as it is "simple", and you'll likely meet plenty of ponies in Ponyville that believe the actual hard, physical work to be the rewarding part.

Winter Wrap Up is probably much less of a big deal in places like Canterlot. It's likely not a big community project, but just something that a team of city employees takes care of, like snowplow drivers in the Northern United States.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

I think it's a little bit different.

Just about everything in Equestria is connected to magic in some way, at least from my perspective. But there's no magic involved when you're pushing a plow, or skating on the ice, or building a birds nests, or shoveling the snow off of rooftops. That's all done with physical labor, even if all creatures in Equestria are connected to magic in some way. Even the pegasi are using physical labor to change the weather.

What they don't want is unicorn magic simply teleporting the snow away or immediately melting it (which would be a bad idea anyway, since Fluttershy pointed out the animals need to be woken up gently first). Basically anything that takes away the actual labor involved. Magic isn't so much "cheating" as it is "simple", and you'll likely meet plenty of ponies in Ponyville that believe the actual hard, physical work to be the rewarding part.

Winter Wrap up is probably much less of a big deal in places like Canterlot. It's likely not a big community project, but just something that a team of city employees take care of, like snowplow drivers in the Northern United States.

You handled your response exceedingly well and didn't leave me any debate room LOL.

I feel like garbel right now "I hate that!"

i read that first line "I think it's different" and over here licking my chops "OH baby i can't wait to reply to...... to... to...mother bucker i just got destroyed.

I was never so Dead on arrival as i was after reading your reply.  Bro hoof.

• Brohoof 1

You handled your response exceedingly well and didn't leave me any debate room LOL.

I feel like garbel right now "I hate that!"

i read that first line "I think it's different" and over here licking my chops "OH baby i can't wait to reply to...... to... to...mother bucker i just got destroyed.

I was never so Dead on arrival as i was after reading your reply.  Bro hoof.

LOL!! Well thank you.

That's quite a compliment.

• Brohoof 1

The only magic she doesn't hate is the Elements of Harmony. But those are gone now, so yeah, she despises magic, as clearly seen when Twilight used magic to clear the snow

Not sure if trolling, or if you're forgetting all the evidence to the contrary.

Winter Wrap Up in Ponyville is a tradition in which the community comes together and works, using the same methods that the original Earth Pony settlers (aka, Applejack's Ancestors) used, to clean up Winter. To make things easier by using magic is felt as stomping on that tradition.

All those other ponies plowing alongside Twilight were busting their flanks and working up a sweat to get the job done and Twilight used a come to life spell on the plow to make it do the work itself.

Applejack is seen to be greatly impressed, applauding and/or accepting Twilight's magic in other situations, such as in Boast Busters and Applebuck Season. But she loves the Winter Wrap Up tradition of hard, physical work and community spirit and she didn't appreciate Twilight breaking that tradition.

And if you think she was being too "harsh" on Twilight, she really wasn't. Her reaction was perfectly reasonable considering the mess Twilight's magic caused, and she wasn't aware of how stressed Twilight was or what was going through her head. She's not psychic.

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

Twilight's use of magic on Winter Wrap-Up Day went against Earth pony tradition, and Applejack is very much set in her traditional customs, so that's the only reason why she scolded Twilight about it. Otherwise Applejack has no problem with magic. Remember when she told Twilight that she and the others were proud to have such a powerful and talented unicorn as their friend back in Boast Busters?

Since Applejack has spent her whole life in Ponyville rather than say Canterlot, magic probably seems pretty foreign to her. AJ doesn't really understand the concept of magic and its potential quite like Twilight does, which is often why Twilight is better suited for leading the ponies whenever magic is an obstacle.

• Brohoof 1

No.  Applejack loves tradition.

Ponyville adheres to the Earth Pony's ideals of hard work.

So it's more about "the way things are done" in Ponyville.

Wait a minute, you mean that Applejack, not just Twilight, and all the earth ponies in ponyville are Obsessive Compulsive? like me?

P.S: I Like your profile picture by the way.

As i was saying, are the Earth Ponies even more OCD Than Twilight?

AJ was more about tradition than Twilight using magic. Before she came to Ponyville, Earth Ponies and Pegasi were present in Equestria along with unicorns in Ponyville to clean up Winter every year without using magic hence why AJ has always gone with tradition during Winter Wrap Up. She has nothing against magic in general, she just felt that Twilight didn't have to use magic.