Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Greatest Dispute of Our Time

Iudex

How do you pronounce gif?  

119 users have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce gif?

• Hard G (Gift w/o the T)
    • Soft G (Like the peanut butter)

I come here to ask you a question, a question spawned from the fiery pits of a back and forth argument with several of my acquaintances. But first... Let me inform you of this question.

So. Upon the last ten years, the internet has clashed over the Great GIF Dispute.

Whether it is pronounced 'JIF', like the peanut butter brand, or 'GIF', with a hard G.

pronounce-gif.gif

Take up arms and support your side!

We shall make this dispute final, once and for all!

Oh, also, it's jif.

• Brohoof 5

Hard g.

I don't care how it's supposed to be pronounced. If it were pronounced like the peanut butter brand, they would have put a j instead of a g, and found a different acronym to use.

• Brohoof 1

A friend of mine opened this can of worms a few months ago. Apparently the creator of this particular file format said it should be a soft g. However, I am more comfortable saying GIF with a hard g. It sounds cooler.

I always say gif in my head, but I think I read an article once that said the creator of the file type says it should be jif. It doesn't really matter to me because the only time I ever talk about gifs is in writing on the internet.

Soft "G"; that's the way I've always pronounced it. It seems more fitting to me, and a hard "G" sounds weird to me. Plus, even the creators of it pronounced it with a soft "G".

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

Steve Wilhite, inventor of the GIF file format, states:

There's a news article about it too.

It also makes more sense considering the letter placements. When a G is followed by an I, they're almost always pronounced with a soft G. Ginger, Giraffe, Gist, Giant, etc. There are a few exceptions like Give/Girl, but for me the natural thing to say when I see a "gi" is a soft G.

• Brohoof 1

I've always pronounced it with a hard G, as do just about everyone I've ever heard. If I ever met someone who said it like it was J I would probably stare at them and go "you're saying it wrong".  

When the file format was being developed, the developers called them "jifs". So, technically, it's supposed to be a brand of peanut butter.

That said, "gif" sounds far better, at least to me. Sounds a lot less sticky, which is important for a picture file that's supposed to move.  :)

I like to pronounce it like jiffy; it's just a preference that I have (would you rather hard G,like  "gaahh I'm drowning!", or jiff, like a giraffe!). Although It does stand for Graphics....something lol, so hard G might be the proper way. We rarely say the word Gif in public, so indeed there is much debate.

Edited by Wingin'Wolf