The Greatest Dispute of Our Time

Iudex

How do you pronounce gif?  

119 users have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce gif?

• Hard G (Gift w/o the T)
    • Soft G (Like the peanut butter)

Hard G, LIKE A NORMAL PERSON :P

I'm aware the dev refers to GIF with a soft g, but the format stands for graphics interchange format. It doesn't make sense to pronounce it otherwise because graphic is a hard g. Also the g is silent in gnome, though now I'm tempted to call it jinome...

Gifs are a gift to graphics.

Jif is a peanut butter brand.

Apparently the majority agrees with this sentiment.

In other news...

G-i-f, as it is an acronym and not a word.

Gif is an acronym, yes, and by rough definition acronyms are abbreviations can be pronounced as words.  ex. SCUBA, SONAR, AWOL, SNAFU, POP, FLAG, etc.  Initialisms are abbreviations that are spoken out one letter at a time.  ex. FBI, NFL, WTF, IBM, CBS, NBC, CDC, etc.

Learn the difference of words and definitions; stop rampant idiocy. (For example, our nomenclature now allowing for 'literally' describing the exact same thing as 'figuratively.')

• 4 weeks later...

Learn the difference of words and definitions; stop rampant idiocy. (For example, our nomenclature now allowing for 'literally' describing the exact same thing as 'figuratively.')

Seems a bit ironic how you declare your want to stop "rampant idiocy" after making a long remark towards me for simply stating how I pronounce something and why. 

Edited by Princess Sapphire