Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Greatest Dispute of Our Time

Iudex

How do you pronounce gif?  

119 users have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce gif?

• Hard G (Gift w/o the T)
    • Soft G (Like the peanut butter)

I pronounced it as Jif even before I knew that's how it was supposed to be pronounced. Saying it with a hard G sounds wrong to me, as Jif sounds wrong to most other people. It never crossed my mind to pronounce it that way until I discovered there was a whole debate about it.

I don't know why people are using "but Graphic is a hard G!" argument ... I don't see how that matters if we're using gif like it's its own word. Pronounce it as gee-eye-eff if you're going to go that route.

Edited by Sapana

• 4 months later...
(edited)

So, the topic is pretty self explanatory, how do you pronounce gif?

I pronounce it with a hard g (Guh).

To elaborate:

Gift without the T is Hard G.

If you say it like the peanut butter (Jif), it's a soft g.

Edited by Nymphia
  • Brohoof 2

Like the word "gift" also.

Here's one I find interesting: FAQ

Is it "eff-ehh-kyoo" or "fak".

This one is really annoying because when I'm writing I can never be sure if it is "an FAQ" or "a FAQ".

• Brohoof 1

Gif

Just like it's written.No more fancy magic -_-

I'm apart of the minority where I actually pronounce GIF with a soft G.

I'm trying to adapt myself to say it with a hard G, but I'm too used pronouncing it with a soft G. :P

• Brohoof 1

Hard G. I know it's supposed to be pronounced with a soft G (which makes it sounds more like 'jif' or 'yif' to me), but at first I always used a hard G and now it's kinda stuck in my head like that.  ^_^

The person who created it said it's meant ot be pronounced with a soft "g".

However, I say fuck him, and I still pronounce it with a hard G

:D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The inventors said it's pronounced with a soft g like gin, so there is no other way to say it IMO. Choosy developers choose gif.

I might correct you if you say it while we're talking, I might not. Depends if it bugs me or not at that time.

Edited by The Mane-iac

Let's see if I can describe this. The way I say it is almost as if I were saying gift just without the 't' if that makes any sense.

EXACTLY! THANK YOUI mean it stands for Graphics Interchange Format so graphics is with a hard g so yes!! I have such a hard time explaining this to my friends who think its a brand of peanut butter like seriously shut up!

EXACTLY! THANK YOUI mean it stands for Graphics Interchange Format so graphics is with a hard g so yes!! I have such a hard time explaining this to my friends who think its a brand of peanut butter like seriously shut up!

Choosy moms use webm anyway.

• Brohoof 1

It's interchangeable for me. I know the creator said it's pronounced with a soft g, so that's what I try to do, but either one tends to come out of my mouth. If I'm just quickly talking to someone, I don't really stop mid sentence and think about it. Whatever comes out, whether it's jif or gif, is what comes out.