Yellow Diamond

S04:E07 - Bats!  

401 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it.
    • Meh, it was okay.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

To be honest I disagree with your statement, yeah this song and The CMC's song may not seem like much compared to the other songs in the past seasons, but I enjoyed both Bats! and "Hearts Strong as Horses", they had their own creative feel to them and I can't stop humming or singing them to myself, the Bats! song reminded of a Tim Burton/Danny Elfman style song.

Meghan McCartney mentioned the song was inspired by danny elfman I immediately started thinking of the this is halloween song

I enjoyed the episode, but the song was mediocre, easily the worst song in the entire series I think. This song and "Heart's Strong as Horses" imply that the song quality in this show is going downhill, unfortunately.

I say it was WAAAAAAAAY better than "Hearts as Strong as Horses" That song was god damn terrible.

This song, I liked much more, I won't say it is down there with last episode's song, but it definitely ranks above all the CMC songs IMO. (Except Sweetie Belle's "Hush Now Quiet Now")

I liked the vocals in this song, I enjoyed Rainbow Dash's different singing voice.

I thought both songs have thier positives and negatives.

Hearts as Strong as horses was catchy and had a good melody but didn't move the plot at all and simply served as filler.

This song had awkward lyrics in it and I thought it moved the plot very well.

Both songs had excellent visuals though.

After having several episodes of adventures that weren't very typical for MLP but I loved them all (my fave type of episodes), this episode felt more like the good old type of the previous seasons. It was like MLP was back to the usual plots of something happening to something that belongs to one of the mane 6. So they brought both types to make everyone happy with the episodes they like, I think this is great.

Yes, too many times Fluttershy turned into something but she was looking cool, at least having such vampire teeth made her cool. Almost looked like a dragon and this is times better than her transformation in 'Power ponies', Also since I also have a bit more exposed canine teeth that makes me look 'unusual' I'm glad Fluttershy is my most fave pony (with Luna), hail... the vampires! ;)

Overall a nice episode, even if not my type and I don't usually like the songs but here it was from the few times I liked the song as well.

Fluttershy had yet another epic moment in this episode. I was skeptical when there was talk around the net that there will be "bat ponies" but it all turned out to be true! I love bat Fluttershy, it's as awesome as Hulk Fluttershy. I really love how this episode turned out so awesome. We need more bat pony episodes imo! xD

So at the end Fluttershy still has fangs does this mean that her being a vampire will come up again or is that just to make us think :huh:

I really hope it comes up again. I'm actualy hopeing we see little changes like more bats at her cottage, sceens of her at the market buying excessive amouts of fruit, and maybe seeing her out at night more.

I'm getting a little obsessed with Flutterbat... I think I have a pony waifu.

Edited by H.P.Lovecolt24
  • Brohoof 1

I shall call this episode: My Little Pony: Curse of the Were-Bat!

At first I was weary because I was SO unimpressed by the teaser. Applejack likes apples. We. Bucking. GET IT! :okiedokielokie: Likewise, I didn't like the song >_<. But then it got fun and interesting.

Loved Rarity here. Liked Pinkie Pie the best I have all season :yay:  (even though it looks like she got some the Mane-iac's potion on her). Got a laugh that Dash is still addicted to cider (probably what's keeping her out of the Wonderbolts). And having AJ care about what happened to Fluttershy over those damn apples went a long way to giving her some desperately needed depth.

My one complaint would be Spike. If he hadn't been there it would've been just the same... -_-

Always a treat when an episode has a lousy start and then gets better (certainly better than the other way around!)

Edited by Jangobadass
  • Brohoof 1

I'm surprised that there was no butthurt over the use of "sin" in the song when AppleJack refers to the vampire bats.

Overall, it was a good episode.

I thought it was interesting. Sin is a very "human" notion that I just never carried over to the ponies because I don't think I've ever seen a really religious notion in Equestria, because of the nature of the show. Maybe it could be argued that some references to the Royal Pony Sisters would qualify, but the notion of Sin was never touched upon.

I didn't mind it in the music because it felt like AJ was talking to the audience.

I thought it was interesting. Sin is a very "human" notion that I just never carried over to the ponies because I don't think I've ever seen a really religious notion in Equestria, because of the nature of the show. Maybe it could be argued that some references to the Royal Pony Sisters would qualify, but the notion of Sin was never touched upon.

I didn't mind it in the music because it felt like AJ was talking to the audience.

It is a good hypothesis, but still it brings up question as to what people would think of it being in a My Little Pony song. I am not butthurt about it at all. In fact, it is good to see that the company would say "I do what I want" because then they aren't afraid of really offending anyone in terms of religion.

Just like how people for some reason are offended by employees saying "Merry Christmas."

• Brohoof 2

You're entering a dimension, a dimension not of sight or sound but of mind, this episode could have used Rod Sterling, since it had the aura of the Twilight Zone, as we get our first glimpse of the bat-pony on the series, and that was quite a amusing surprise. We also get our second song, which was reminiscent of Disney's Kill the Beast, for Applejack wanted to rid her orchard of the vampire fruit bats; however Fluttershy saw the benefit of having these bats for the harvest. Applejack was merely concern for the there and now, and to see her friends tag along with it is in character, as once again the mane six decided to use Twilight Sparkle's magic for a solution, resulting in Fluttershy becoming a bat-pony. I loved how Fluttershy was animated in bat form, and in night setting at that, just to see her movement and flow just as she was in krunk form in 'Power Ponies', I even saw some Batman references,  I can tell there were some fan shout-outs in this episode. "Bats" was a very good episode, it had some of the elements of the Twilight Zone, one of my all time favourite TV shows, with the set-up, plot, and the twist ending with Fluttershy keeping some trace of her fangs, and a good moral of being broad minded, and having the courage to tell your friends no, especially if you know they are wrong, Applejack and Fluttershy did fine together in this episode, and I hope they star together in another episode, submitted for your approval this is an excellent episode of My Little Pony-Friend is Magic.

If there's one problem I have, it's that the twist came out of absolutely nowhere, and it did an awful job illustrating the episode's moral. So, the reason we shouldn't let our friends rope us into anything we don't like is because it could end up turning us into a vampire? I think the writers may have gotten a little bit lost on the trail between Point A and Point B there.

"Out of nowhere"...Maybe if you didn't pay any attention to all the hints before it was properly revealed. Not to mention it wasn't even a twist. "This thing was unexpected" doesn't automatically qualify something as a twist. I didn't expect Trixie to apologize for enslaving Ponyville but it wasn't a twist. :lol:

The primary point is to be a fun misadventure to entertain the viewer, not illustrate morality. Besides that, it illustrated the moral very well. You're just being too literal about it. :P The moral is "If you let people pressure you into doing things you know are wrong, bad s### will happen." :lol:

The one thing that I question is that when Fluttershy turned into Flutterbat, did she not retain any memories, in a sense did she not know her friends when they were calling her name and talking to her? I sort of was wondering while watching the episode if Flutttershy somewhat knew her friends or didn't due to the fact the vampire bat aspect was taking over her completely.

It is a good hypothesis, but still it brings up question as to what people would think of it being in a My Little Pony song. I am not butthurt about it at all. In fact, it is good to see that the company would say "I do what I want" because then they aren't afraid of really offending anyone in terms of religion.

Just like how people for some reason are offended by employees saying "Merry Christmas."

Yeah. I get you meaning.

People get offended with really dumb things these days. It's like people want to be accepted but don't want to accept.

• Brohoof 1

You're over-thinking the line in the song "as mean as sin". It's just an expression, which I believe is pretty common in the South, nothing more than that. There is (most likely) no agenda behind the inclusion of that line.

It also gives the rhyme for the next line "will you look at the state my trees are in?"

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 2

You're over-thinking the line in the song "as mean as sin". It's just an expression, which I believe is pretty common in the South, nothing more than that. There is (most likely) no agenda behind the inclusion of that line.

Actually, that was my point. The character was talking to the audience. Something that the viewers would get.

But BronyPony is right. People seem to get offended too easily, even though it's more likely that it's just something without any intended hidden meaning.

• Brohoof 1

The more I listen to "Stop the Bats!" the more I start to like it. Some people say it's repetitive, but aren't most songs?  

Plus I just noticed the bit where one of the bats knocks away the apple, and it lands on Rarity's horn, which is really funny considering the same thing happened to Sweetie Belle in Sisterhooves Social:lol:

post-2257-0-08636600-1388377935_thumb.jpg

post-2257-0-55142200-1388377935_thumb.jpg

Edited by SolarFox
  • Brohoof 2

Am I the only one who thought Rainbow Dash's cider addiction is like a human's alcohol addiction? Think about it...

I sometimes wonder bout that too, Rainbow Dash is really addicted.

Maybe applejack has some kind of secret ingredient added to the cider and somehow it has affected Rainbow Dash more then other ponies? /jk

I enjoyed this episode even though I were suprised that nonone stod by Fluttershy, (why not spie could have said something instead of whatvhexsaid near the end which I have already forgotten)

Im a sucker for musicalnumbers and this song I liked very much ^_^

Edited by Doctor Blueberry

I voted that it was ok. The reason why and my main complaint is that the episode is largely pointless. The ponies in it don't really learn much about themselves or any real lesson. It's just sort of a crises and then another crises and then a resolution that has no real bearing on the characters themselves. Contrasting this to DragonShy illustrates many problems recent episodes have been facing. Many have no real point besides creating a problem and then having an adventure. In DragonShy, by contrast, there was an adventure but it wasn't forced (the crises made sense) and the lesson learned was a valuable one for Fluttershy; who had to confront in a very personal way a problem that she herself had.

In all, the episode does well; but it doesn't have that same feel as do earlier episodes. It's important for the creators of MLP not to forget where the show began in seasons 1 and 2. 

Edited by TheEngineer
  • Brohoof 1

The one thing that I question is that when Fluttershy turned into Flutterbat, did she not retain any memories, in a sense did she not know her friends when they were calling her name and talking to her? I sort of was wondering while watching the episode if Flutttershy somewhat knew her friends or didn't due to the fact the vampire bat aspect was taking over her completely.

As I mentioned last night, this episode made some pretty direct references to previous episodes - quite a few of them, in fact - and I think Fluttershy's transformation and her apparent loss of awareness and memory was a slightly more subtle ref to Secret of my Excess, where much the same thing happens to Spike. (Though he did seem to be aware of and remember what he did once he reverts.)