gaming Flappy Bird creator to take game down tomorrow

AppleGearRising

@@AppleGearRising,it's because there have been multiple people who have committed suicide because of it. I'm not even joking! there has been a male in Groningen, The netherlands who killed himself. The man was sufferring from down syndrome, and couldn't handle it anymore.

also, i believe some guy from the UK killed himself because of it. i'll update this with the articles once i find them! 

EDIT, seems like that other dude was american. here's a link to the article.

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 1

I don't see why everyone loved it so much. The controls were borderline broken, and the hit detection was like Silver Surfer for the NES (AVGN, anyone? :D)

XD, He's one of my favorite reasons to awake on a monday besides my girlfriend, who is of course #1

Well, as long as games like these will stop cashing in so quickly, I'm glad it's going to be gone soon.

Likewise these knock off indie games need to stop being made.  Besides the dang bird is a Cheep Cheep!!!

• Brohoof 2

Thinking from a business standpoint it is a brilliant move. Gets him looking better to the public, allows anyone still wanting to play it for Celestia knows whatever reason to rush in and pick it up thus generating more dough for him, avoid legal trouble, and double back in the future if he wants to. 

I am still wondering how a helicopter x mario knockoff made it this far though. 

It's sort of an amazing coincidence that I only *just* recently posted a thread on the general subject.

If I were to ever make a great game, I would almost certainly do everything I could to publish it anonymously. Because being "popular" among Gamers is a BAD THING. Making games is rewarding for the experience, but the ensuing reactions tend to be more mixed than they should be...

Seeing this thread was the first I've head about it but I read a few articles and I think he's just sick of the hate he gets from people who play it. Which seems completely insane to me that people would go as far as to blame the creator for their addiction (and most likely their inability to get high scores which obviously matters entirely to much to some people) to the game. I also read that he makes about 50,000 (forget which currency) per day on adds alone. I never played the game so I don't really care that much but I'm a little sad for the developer. 

@@AppleGearRising,it's because there have been multiple people who have committed suicide because of it. I'm not even joking! there has been a male in Groningen, The netherlands who killed himself. The man was sufferring from down syndrome, and couldn't handle it anymore.

also, i believe some guy from the UK killed himself because of it. i'll update this with the articles once i find them! 

EDIT, seems like that other dude was american. here's a link to the article.

Christ, i didn't think people would be crazy enough to kill themselves over it D:

This isn't entirely fair on the creator, now people will be blaming him for those suicides and he'll have to live with that guilt for the rest of his life. :( It's mad how a game can drive people to the brink of insanity, what has this world come to?

• Brohoof 1

it's because you all sucked at this game

you guys got so butthurt it caused the creator to delete it off the app store

he could've at least fixed the hit detection, because it was a little bad

just delete the app and never download it again if it becomes a problem to you

• Brohoof 3

Actually, Indie games are the way of the future due to the fact that the big video game industry is on the verge of a collapse. 

A bit off topic but indie games aren't honestly that great, a lot of people use 8bit graphics and claim it's for a "retro feel" and a lot of them are.. for a lack of better words egotistical pricks *cough*supermeatboycreators*cough*

ANYWAY OT, I think it's stupid that this game got taken down just because some people suck at vidya.

post-3094-0-89297000-1391967942_thumb.png

Maybe that's not true, but no one should care.  It's not like he'll be able to stop people from hacking the game and continuing to distribute it online.  I mean, people mod triple-A games all the time.  Flappy Bird is about as simple as they come.  A programer could mod that in his sleep.  Anyone interested in playing the game has nothing to worry about.

post-3094-0-34761000-1391968007_thumb.png

• Brohoof 4

A bit off topic but indie games aren't honestly that great, a lot of people use 8bit graphics and claim it's for a "retro feel" and a lot of them are.. for a lack of better words egotistical pricks *cough*supermeatboycreators*cough*

ANYWAY OT, I think it's stupid that this game got taken down just because some people suck at vidya.

>Implying Time Fcuk, Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac weren't amazing games

>Implying Serious Sam, Braid, Limbo, I MADE A GAME WITH ZOMBIES IN IT, Noitu Love 2, DayZ, Loadout, Psychonauts are all 8 bit games

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm sad he took it down, not because he was making so much money, but because he had a successful game. And that could have pushed him to greater games in the future, even to the point of getting a job at another developer if he practiced enough.

But now that it's down, it's destined to be forgotten, and he's no longer going to have that path open to him.

Edited by Barbaloot