Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Strange content on mlp.

Spark

(edited)

I was recently watching random episodes of mlp, when I stumbled upon this:

Now tell me that isn't strange. It kinda reminds me of Brian who soaps away all his troubles with wine. Why is it on a kids show? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that so many male teenagers and

adults have taken a liking to the show. What do you guys think?

Posted Image

Edited by DarkHooves

(edited)

Now tell me that isn't strange. It kinda reminds me of Brian who soaps away all his troubles with wine. Why is it on a kids show? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that so many male teenagers and

This is the MLP version of a guy having a bad day, and drowning his sorrows at a bar. XD

Edited by Devin McCourty
  • Brohoof 1

It's much better than if he's actually drinking alcohol. It's more of a joke poking fun at the concept of one drowning his sorrows at a bar.

I honestly didn't think of that one particular scene as anything too peculiar though the concept of getting drunk on food is something that reminded me of Scrubs. Kinda like the stereotypical binge eating of ice cream, though the Scrubs example I provided was not out of sorrow...

For those who've seen the Spongebob movie, I believe there's one scene there that's even more peculiar, and a heck of a lot longer, than Spike getting "drunk" on doughnuts...

Besides, if you're a baby dragon, how would you drown YOUR sorrows? :(

• Brohoof 2

The content of apple cider "Super Cider Squeezy 6000" more or less introduced alcohol directly into MLP, although all the ponies were mum about it and references were kept on the sly. The joke with Spike is a rather straightforward one, though; it is no mystery what they are lampooning in that scene (i.e., as Jadefire said, drowning oneself in alcohol due to distress). I'm sure even the target audience got the gist of the joke even if preteens aren't normally found in bars drinking mugs of beer.

Somebody needs to draw the CMC sitting at a bar counter now.

I personally dont mind it. Its not like its encouraging children to go and drink. Maybe at best its encouraging that something as simple as drinking some juice or other friendly drink of the sorts can help cheer you up or take your mind off something troubling you.

Human sacrifices.

Your avatar makes this response all the better.

• Brohoof 4

I remember that scene, and the same thing came to mind. Not the first time they subtlety mention alcohol usage and substitute it with something else, or characters end up drunk-like. You see it alot in older cartoons. Unfortunately I don't remember any examples at the top of my head....

(edited)

It isn't anything new in either the series or cartoons in general as seen in the example 2 posts above my post.

Edited by Guest

Nope. That was back when the brony thing was just beginning...

And that's normal for cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

Its not all that strange. Its a joke that adults can understand and get a laugh out of because of the alcohol reference. But kids can also relate to it on their level, he's eating doughnuts because he's sad but too many doughnuts are bad for you. Its just a way of appealing to a wider audience and I think it works pretty well.

It has nothing to do with Family guys :s

(what are you talking about)

It's a kid-friendly version of a famous line/sceen in an old movie,

it's just a laugh for the parents watching and nothing more.

~

• Brohoof 1

Me (and my grandmother who was watching that episode with me) Both turned and laughed at Spike's Doughnut hankering. I expressed my sorrow that doughnuts cannot get you drunk, and we both had a good laugh over it.

You have to remember that the show's writers try to throw some jokes in there for the adult audiences. Remember Bridle Gossip when AJ is shrunk down? He called her a Appletini. It's just good harmless humor that hits for it's intended 'parent' viewers.

I can recall many tv series that have used this gag in their episodes. The Spongebob one above is just one of many. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeah but seriously guys, I would assume writers know jokes like this are a huge part of what hooks the periphery demographic, who are probably the main reason MLP and other shows supposedly intended for younger demographics have these types of subtle references to more adult themes/problems.

Edited by Super Brony Bolt 64

(edited)

I found this joke with the donuts a lot more subtle than the alcohol joke they made 2 episodes earlier:

I almost cant believe they put that in there.

Edited by matau

Ah, yes, I remember Cow and Chicken did something like that. I believe it was a rancher drowning out his sorrows in milk because his cows wouldn't stampede. But, yeah, I think jokes like that are for the chance parents are watching the show with their kids. Just something subtle for them to laugh at. It's definitely been done before.