Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the meaning of life to YOU?

AppleGearRising

It's probably just me and my bad luck but for whatever reason I've lately been coming across a lot of people who are down in the dumps and without much hope for their futures.

So many people here seem to be just living through the motions, not valuing the time they have to themselves. So many people living their lives feeling purposeless, unwanted, unneeded and unloved...why? Why are so many people without any of these things? why do they continue to live each day in perpetual misery?

I've a theory as to why; some people don't see a reason as to why they even bother living each day, thus they are without the motivation they need to spur themselves into doing anything.

That's why I want to ask you guys; do you have your own meaning to life? If you do what is it, what makes it special to you? My own meaning of life is (cliché warning) happiness. If I can feel happy and make others happy then I feel like my life is more than worth living each day :)

Edited by AppleGearRising

Whenever folks are down, I ALWAYS think about this tune by Eric Idol, from Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. A movie I also would suggest everyone to see.

(And remember, the Earth actually rotates at about 1070mph/1670kph)

Regarding a meaning of life, they're only as valid as we personally make them. I've heard millions of different reasons people use to put meaning in their lives, but none of them matter to me, as me and them are different people with different experiences and priorities. However, I've always felt the meaning of life is to evolve.

As much as I really want to be generic and cheesy in this response, unfortunately, I lost that ability months ago.

To me, life doesn't have too much of a meaning in itself. You live, and you die. You form a world based on your actions and those around you, but ultimately, you're just a blot on the planet. All life is.

What matters is that you take your pointless existence and make the most of it. Have fun. Understand life, and accept what life is around you. Find its good sides, while still acknowledging its bad. Learn, live, struggle to be happy.

Life, in itself, is inherently pointless. We, as human beings, give it a meaning. We WANT our life to mean something, so we MAKE it mean something. I think that's the point, in the end, and I can't really complain.

• Brohoof 3

There is no one great meaning in life. We live for the sake of it. There's no such thing as destiny, or a greater purpose we should all strive for. The meaning in your life is the meaning that you give it.

Me? I guess I'm just trying to enjoy my life as much as I can, however that may be. Like right now, it's talking to all of you. :D

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 2

The meaning of life is subjective. For some like myself, it's the pursuit of happiness. For others, it's the pursuit of influence or power. Some believe it's to act as caretakers for our young or the environment around us.

There really isn't just one meaning; life is simply what we make of it and our hopes, desires and aspirations are what defines those meanings.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 2

Life is what you make of it. Don't like how you're life is going? Do something about it. No matter how futile the endeavor, you've still done something to change the situation. This could mean getting out of a funk, being jobless and even not being in a relationship. It doesn't matter how you do it, a change of pace can work wonders for your overall well-being.

If you do like where your life is going but are feeling like life is meaningless...life is still what you make of it. Do something you don't usually do. Break that monotony!

• Brohoof 2

I really don't see much point or meaning In existing.

Most people who exist die and leave little behind or make no real impacts on the world.

And according to Vsauce, there are so many people in the world, that when you die the world as a whole is completely unaffected.

But everyone's meaning/purpose/point in life is specific to them as a person.

What might be my meaning/purpose/point in life could be completely opposite of someone else's.

I have a lot of trouble trying to figure out questions like what the meaning of life is. Which is why I really like the whole concept of earning a cutie mark. It's physical evidence of who are are, what you're meant to be, you're meaning and purpose.

I wish we had something like that.

I really don't see much point or meaning In existing.

Most people who exist die and leave little behind or make no real impacts on the world.

And according to Vsauce, there are so many people in the world, that when you die the world as a whole is completely unaffected.

But everyone's meaning/purpose/point in life is specific to them as a person.

What might be my meaning/purpose/point in life could be completely opposite of someone else's.

I have a lot of trouble trying to figure out questions like what the meaning of life is. Which is why I really like the whole concept of earning a cutie mark. It's physical evidence of who are are, what you're meant to be, you're meaning and purpose.

I wish we had something like that.

It's an unfortunate way of looking at things to believe every person in existence must leave some sort of imprint on the world. It makes a lot of people feel worse than they should.

The only reason to exist is...to exist. You are existing right now. Do what you do and don't take no guff from anyone. Regardless of whether you made big waves in the world or not there is no denying that you existed. What you do in life happens. Ten, fifteen or a hundred years in the future it doesn't change the fact that you did all of those things, that you were a being on this planet. It doesn't take a text book to prove someone existed. Regardless of anything else, you did exist. That is fact. Nothing can change that.

• Brohoof 1

Despite not planning on doing much with my life, I guess the meaning of life is to simply leave an impact on others that will affect (hopefully) positively on them in the long run. I'd be quite content with my life if I could make at least some people happy with my existence before I'm dead, and from the way my best friend acts, I guess I succeeded on one person so far and I sure as hell plan on succeeding on more when the time comes.

Edited by WheatleyCore

It's an unfortunate way of looking at things to believe every person in existence must leave some sort of imprint on the world. It makes a lot of people feel worse than they should.The only reason to exist is...to exist. You are existing right now. Do what you do and don't take no guff from anyone. Regardless of whether you made big waves in the world or not there is no denying that you existed. What you do in life happens. Ten, fifteen or a hundred years in the future it doesn't change the fact that you did all of those things, that you were a being on this planet. It doesn't take a text book to prove someone existed. Regardless of anything else, you did exist. That is fact. Nothing can change that.

I understand this, but I didn't mean that someone needs to leave an imprint to have a meaningful existence.

Like I said, what a meaningful existence is to me could be completely different to other people.

But 500 years from now, when I'm gone, my existence would be and will be meaningless, or at least in my opinion.

I don't see how being able to prove I was a person who existed changes that.

I'm just your average, run-of-the-mill human.

(Just the way I see it.... I respect your views though,and I'm glad to have heard from you :) )

• Brohoof 1

PartyWithPinkie, on 24 Feb 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I understand this, but I didn't mean that someone needs to leave an imprint to have a meaningful existence.

Like I said, what a meaningful existence is to me could be completely different to other people.

But 500 years from now, when I'm gone, my existence would be and will be meaningless, or at least in my opinion.

(Just the way I see it.... I respect your views though,and I'm glad to have heard from you :) )

Meaningless in what way though? What you do in life still affects a lot of people. The things you do at school and work, how you make a company continue to do business by doing said work, friends and lovers whose lives you've touched....your life isn't meaningless as long as you interact with people and affect the environment in some way. Everyone makes waves whether they realize it or not.

Not that I'm trying to change your views or anything, just curious as to your viewpoint on it. Cuz research.

Edited by Discordian

Life has no purpose, so people come up with their own. Very subjective, but that's what makes this thread interesting!  :)

Personally I have a few goals of my own.

My first goal is to explore. What is life? What is this world? Which tastes exists? Which emotions can I get? Where is my limits? I basically want to experience a little bit of everything there is to experience. This leads to obvious negative exploring as well. But hey! I've tried it.

Putting it cliche, I'd rather regret doing something, than not doing it.

EDIT: This seems like a obvious life goal when I don't put it in perspective.

If you could chose your favorite food, or something you have never tasted, and quite frankly looks disgusting. I'm the guy that throws my favorite away for something new and different!

Second goal is simple and cliche. Happiness.

Being able to sit down and do nothing, yet still be content with my existence.

500 years from now it was meaningless indeed, the world will be unaffected. But what about YOU?
I'd rather been born into this meaningless world and forgotten. Than NEVER been born, but remembered forever.

Edited by Blaze Bronson
  • Brohoof 1

I would say the meaning of life is for everypony in the world to act selfless and be kind to each other, and to make everyone happy... This of course isn't the case in the general world today... *at least outside the brony community anyway :)* but being the case, I think the reason that so many people like you said are "miserable" Is because of that fact that there is so many in the world now who would rather either only care for themselves than others, or even those who would want the world to go through chaos... I always try to think like I am not "miserable" myself though... Because no matter what I am going through, there is always somepony out there who has it at least 3 times worse than I do.

• Brohoof 2

Meaningless in what way though? What you do in life still affects a lot of people. The things you do at school and work, how you make a company continue to do business by doing said work, friends and lovers whose lives you've touched....your life isn't meaningless as long as you interact with people and affect the environment in some way. Everyone makes waves whether they realize it or not.

Not that I'm trying to change your views or anything, just curious as to your viewpoint on it. Cuz research.

I have a weird life situation, to say the least.

So I guess it's why I have views like that.

In time, the things I may have done that have touched people around be will be gone. Forgotten.

Nothing retains it's meaning forever, or at least that's how I see it.

I'm a bleak human, but I hope I helped you since you said this is in the name of research.

I don't know yet.. I know the reason I am alive currently is my family no matter how childish it might sound. But I'm still figuring it out, because I can't keep on depending on my parents because they're gone one day and I need to find another reason for being alive. So yeah.. Still figuring it out.

But seriously, the meaning of life to me is to just live happily. Do what makes you happy and what makes others happy. Life is too short to stress out over nothing. As long as your happy, that's really all that matters.

• Brohoof 3