Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So what's the point of calling family members "friends" in this show.

Singe

"Big Brother Best Friend Forever" seems rather silly to say. Was it to sort of keep Twilight Sparkle from seeming like she has a brother complex.

Sibiling are usually 'friends', more so than actual friends.. meaning, me and my brothers are Best Friends Forever.. oddly enough...

but its something to pull two siblings together

I consider my siblings my friends too because they are there for me when I need them and I'm there for them when they need me, just like a friend would, but this can't be applied to some people because I know a lot of people who don't like their siblings and the other way around, so it's basically like a friendship circle imo.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not seeing it as 'silly' so much as indicative that in pony society it is unusual for siblings to have such a good relationship.

Because you can have a mother that is just someone that you rather not have to deal with, for example.

Shining Armor is Twilight's brother, she has no say in this. He is, however, her friend too. A very close and important friend. These ar different things.

• Brohoof 2

The point here was just to rhyme, of course.

But in real life, it's as @moonlightavenger said (if I did that mention correctly). When you consider the target audience, I would imagine that "friend" means more than "brother". Since at a young age, I hated my brother's guts, I imagine everyone else did? I'm not sure.

I suppose it just makes it sound more positive and implies a deeper relationship.

I think the term has to do with the nature of the relationship. "Sibling" is merely a relationship by blood, and while family is important, it does not automatically say anything about a relationship. A true friend is, in my mind, someone who is kin in all but blood, they are someone you have chosen to share that bond with, and the fact of choice says something definite about that relationship. When you use the term "brother" or "sister" for a close friend, you are stating the closeness of that bond, this friend is someone who will be there through thick and thin, and you for them. When you talk about a family member as a friend, that says you have the unavoidable bond of blood, but you have also made the choice to share a closer bond. Identifying a sibling as a friend is the opposite of silly, as it indicates that you have a close relationship and behave as friends would behave.

• Brohoof 1

We'll it means Twilight's Big brother supports her very much and cares for her alot and thats what best friends do.

I have a big brother only and we'll me and my big brother get along sometimes but we use too get along more when i was a toddler and he was a kid he used his part favor by me when i was a toddler too be turning 3 years old and i laughed when my brother as a kid did that but that was way long ago where me and my famliy use too live but we moved and i was a kid and my brother was still at teen stage maybe or he was at 20 stage then me and my big brother started too argue,bicker and me and my big brother are these ages: I'm age 16 years old and my big brother is 26 years old (Me and my big brother are 10 years apart means i was born when he  was 10 years old).

Twilight had no friends her own age, but she bonded with her big brother and he gave her what she needed emotionally, or at least what she thought she needed until she met the Mane 5.

Edited by Nature's Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Well we can see it like this, when you have no friends that are your age or that you have never interacted with other people besides your family then you can call your friends ''family members'' if you have a strong connection with them similar to your family's bond.

I think it's natural to consider family members friends. I consider my little brother to be one of my bestest friends :P Plus, Twilight didn't have friends at a young age, leaving her to bond with Shining Armor.

With the relationship of Twilight Sparkle and Shining Armor, I think that close family members can seem like best friends, know what I mean? Like you get along the same way with them like you would with an actual best friend. Representing a close bond and such.

• Brohoof 1