Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why punishing someone whos already learned their lesson is pointless

JayStorm

i've seen people complaining about how Babs and Rarity weren't punished in One Bad Apple and Sweet and Elite respectively. The problem with this is that the purpose of a punishment is to teach someone a lesson, when they already have, it becomes very redundant.

• Brohoof 2

Babs didn't learn anything. Her lesson was basically that it's okay to bully others as long as you're bullied yourself and if they try to get revenge for it, they're in the wrong and you get off scott free. She needed punishment.

Edited by Grumpy Enchantress
  • Brohoof 9

It seems more like Applejack is to blame than Babs in One Bad Apple. By choosing to not be fully honest, it created the environment for this situation to fester in the first place.

Well if you'll notice the characters who aren't punished on the show tend to relapse.

isn't it possible because there is no punishment?

Hmmmmm?

I guess you mean Rarity with that.  >_>

And even if you don't, this whole Rarity-never-gets-punished stuff shows up so often i just have to write something about that.

Rarity has the tendencey to notice her wrongdoings by herself, and she punishes herself for them. I see no need for her friends to "punish" her even more. It's an idiotic concept to punish ones friends for something they did wrong, especially if they know they did wrong and already made up for it.

I don't know why this Rarity-is-a-karma-Houdini crap popped up in the first place.

She punished herself in green isn't you colour by defending Flutters in front of a huge audience, which could have not reacted so positive about Raritys cheering like it did. Would have been bad for her career. Then, she did not much worth punishing in the first place.

She chose her friends over the fancy ponies in Canterlot, and if Fancy where not there, Upper Crust and Jetset would have turned the crowd against her, ruining her career in Canterlot forever.

She participated in the Sisterhooves Social event, even though she hates to get dirty. I still think that Sweety did more than Rarity to escalate to whole situation, but she did not think that she did something wrong, neither was she "punished."

In Rares takes Manehatten she runs out of the fashion competition to reconcile with her friends, that could have easily meant disqualification. Not good for her career. Notice a pattern here?

Rarity always choses her Friends over her career in the end, she could be much highter in the social ladder and in her career if she would not do that, but because she has a kind and generous heart she values her friends over her job.

And lastly, how would you punish a friend who did something wrong in the first place? Like i said, stupid concept. There should be no punishment between friends.

Edited by Obsidian Sky
  • Brohoof 3

Rep Ips la quirta.
That's latin for the thing that speaks for itself.

That said I could just as easily say pinkie pie.

Pinkie drove the town into a fear frenzy in Luna eclipsed and Bridal Gossip.

and because no one sat pinkie the hell down,

she ended up tormenting poor flutter shy in Phili vanilla.

I could politely explain that rarity's flaws aren't the most severe of the groups,

but I get the distinct feeling you don't wanna hear it.

I could have just as easily pointed at apple bloom running off into the fire swamp.

And don't tell me she was right, there's no parent alive with any common sense that wouldn't have grounded her into next year for that bull crap.

I guess you mean Rarity with that.  >_>

And even if you don't, this whole Rarity-never-gets-punished stuff shows up so often i just have to write something about that.

Rarity has the tendencey to notice her wrongdoings by herself, and she punishes herself for them. I see no need for her friends to "punish" her even more. It's an idiotic concept to punish ones friends for something they did wrong, especially if they know they did wrong and already made up for it.

I don't know why this Rarity-is-a-karma-Houdini crap popped up in the first place.

She punished herself in green isn't you colour by defending Flutters in front of a huge audience, which could have not reacted so positive about Raritys cheering like it did. Would have been bad for her career. Then, she did not much worth punishing in the first place.

She chose her friends over the fancy ponies in Canterlot, and if Fancy where not there, Upper Crust and Jetset would have turned the crowd against her, ruining her career in Canterlot forever.

She participated in the Sisterhooves Social event, even though she hates to get dirty. I still think that Sweety did more than Rarity to escalate to whole situation, but she did not think that she did something wrong, neither was she "punished."

In Rares takes Manehatten she runs out of the fashion competition to reconcile with her friends, that could have easily meant disqualification. Not good for her career. Notice a pattern here?

Rarity always choses her Friends over her career in the end, she could be much highter in the social ladder and in her career if she would not do that, but because she has a kind and generous heart she values her friends over her job.

And lastly, how would you punish a friend who did something wrong in the first place? Like i said, stupid concept. There should be no punishment between friends.

Babs didn't learn anything. Her lesson was basically that it's okay to bully others as long as you're bullied yourself and if they try to get revenge for it, they're in the wrong and you get off scott free. She needed punishment.

post-25289-0-03143900-1395152877_thumb.png

Her lesson was not to hurt others or betray your true self for a misguided sense of personal gain.

I could politely explain that rarity's flaws aren't the most severe of the groups,

but I get the distinct feeling you don't wanna hear it.

I actually would like to hear it.

Look, im sorry for my outburst, im just used to the whole Rarity-is-a-karma-Houdini stuff, and it just makes me furious. I just thought that you where implying that she never gets punished because i hear that stuff so often. Sometimes i just think that Rarity is often seen as that bitch that gets away with everything.  :blush:

Sometimes i just think that the majority of the fandom sees her as a giant bitch... And it just makes me sad...

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 1

One thing that annoys me about this show is how "I am sorry" is a near universal get out of jail free card and I am not just talking about minor things which is a bit more understandable but even for some of the more serious stuff. In Lesson Zero Twilight went so far as to abuse her magical talents to enchant her doll in order to create a problem in order to solve one which is arguably the worst thing she has ever done but even that went unpunished. Fluttershy ended up going so far as assaulting ponies in Putting Your Hoof Down and yet it was Iron Will who took nearly all of the blame even though they were both at fault for what happened. And there is Gilda who was blamed for everything when even though she could have handled things better had every right to be angry at Pinkie Pie intruding on her personal space like that by going into crazy stalker mode. Lightning Dust being thrown out of the Wonderbolt Academy is one of the few times anypony has ever really been punished aside from major villains.

• Brohoof 2

One thing that annoys me about this show is how "I am sorry" is a near universal get out of jail free card and I am not just talking about minor things which is a bit more understandable but even for some of the more serious stuff. In Lesson Zero Twilight went so far as to abuse her magical talents to enchant her doll in order to create a problem in order to solve one which is arguably the worst thing she has ever done but even that went unpunished. Fluttershy ended up going so far as assaulting ponies in Putting Your Hoof Down and yet it was Iron Will who took nearly all of the blame even though they were both at fault for what happened. And there is Gilda who was blamed for everything when even though she could have handled things better had every right to be angry at Pinkie Pie intruding on her personal space like that by going into crazy stalker mode. Lightning Dust being thrown out of the Wonderbolt Academy is one of the few times anypony has ever really been punished aside from major villains.

Well, but how would you punish them? I can't think of much. Verbally rebuke them? I can't really think of much more that could be done. The mane6 are adults, its not like someone can just give them house arrest.  :P  Lightning dust made sense because she was in the academy, and they could just throw her out. but how punish Putting your hoof down Flutters, for example?

Any ideas? I got nothing....

Well, but how would you punish them? I can't think of much. Verbally rebuke them? I can't really think of much more that could be done. The mane6 are adults, its not like someone can just give them house arrest.  :P  Lightning dust made sense because she was in the academy, and they could just throw her out. but how punish Putting your hoof down Flutters, for example?

Any ideas? I got nothing....

That's another good point, For example the CMC got punished in Hearts and Hooves day because they were children(that obviously try to pull the lesson learned thing to cover themselves up)

attachicon.gifBabs492.png

Her lesson was not to hurt others or betray your true self for a misguided sense of personal gain.

That pic! where is it!? *ahem* Thanks for this, you just fixed the bad moral for me

Well fun fact is rather than punnishing someone for bad, it's psychologically better to reward someone for their good. It's more effective and benificial to success for the child.

However, disiplin still should be used, but very carefully. If a child does a bad thing, you should still probably take something away from the child, like not having TV privilages, for example, thus teaching the kid that he doesn't want to do that bad again. But if you more reward the child when he does good, he is more likely to continue doing good, and you won't need to worry about him doing bad.

• Brohoof 1

Well if you'll notice the characters who aren't punished on the show tend to relapse.

Hmmmmm?

Mind bringing up any examples? (besides Fluttershy)

Yeah! That near-death experience was just a slap on the wrist/forehoof!

*Beat*

Edited by Anti-Villain

Well, but how would you punish them?

Lets see how would they punished in our world? Twilight would probably be arrested or admitted to a mental institution for her actions in Lesson Zero. I don't think she belong in an institution but maybe a night in the slammer. I am honestly suprised nobody issued a restraining order against Pinkie Pie yet, I like Pinkie Pie don't get me wrong but she has some serious personal space issues which in our world could get you in serious trouble. I have long had an idea for a fanfic where Pinkie Pie gets a restraining order issued against her, maybe I have to get to that.

Lets see how would they punished in our world? Twilight would probably be arrested or admitted to a mental institution for her actions in Lesson Zero. I don't think she belong in an institution but maybe a night in the slammer. I am honestly suprised nobody issued a restraining order against Pinkie Pie yet, I like Pinkie Pie don't get me wrong but she has some serious personal space issues which in our world could get you in serious trouble. I have long had an idea for a fanfic where Pinkie Pie gets a restraining order issued against her, maybe I have to get to that.

Ouch... thats harsh! I doubt Equestria works that way... I certainly hope it does not.  :lol: But it has been shown that mental institutions exist, in Ponyville even... Twie may be in trouble...  :o

Ouch... thats harsh! I doubt Equestria works that way... I certainly hope it does not.  :lol: But it has been shown that mental institutions exist, in Ponyville even... Twie may be in trouble...  :o

I did only say a night in slammer, in our world she would probably spend a bit longer than that in the can, both of them could use some therapy though and I say this with love I mean I do like them.

Don't forget Equestria Girls. Sunset Shimmer is a terrorist who attempted to murder the Mane 6 in order to achieve her goal of world domination. Her punishment is to help fix a wall she blew up.

In our world yes, but not in Equestria

I did only say a night in slammer, in our world she would probably spend a bit longer than that in the can, both of them could use some therapy though and I say this with love I mean I do like them.

Well, lets be honest, almost everyone in Ponyville is crazy. :blink:  Twie was right in that regard... she just did not know back then that she would join the crazies as their queen. :P

The Apples are probably the most sane in that town.

Well, lets be honest, almost everyone in Ponyville is crazy.

True, but some are a bit loonier than others. Twilight is the only character we have seen so far that has OCD freak outs like that, it dosen't mean she is the only pony in Equestria that has it that bad but you have to admit it is quite the severe case and same with Pinkie Pie and her personal space issues as well as not really handling rejection very well or rather in her case perceived rejection like we saw in Party of One.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1

Hmmmmm?

Except Rarity has not relapsed.

Since we are specifically talking about her and Babs, I am assuming you are referring to one of them. With Babs only showing up once it would have to be Rarity.

Edited by Whatevs

Babs492.png

No, it really wasn't, though. She never even realized she did anything wrong.

Yeah! That near-death experience was just a slap on the wrist/forehoof!

*Beat*

You know that wasn't a fucking punishment and was what made the CMC realize they did wrong, right? Babs didn't learn shit from that. That "punishment" did nothing but teach her that it was wrong of the CMC to try and get revenge to her, it had nothing to do with bullying and it's one of the shittiest handled "lessons" of all time. >_> Edited by Grumpy Enchantress

No, it really wasn't, though. She never even realized she did anything wrong.

You know that wasn't a fucking punishment and was what made the CMC realize they did wrong, right? Babs didn't learn shit from that. That "punishment" did nothing but teach her that it was wrong of the CMC to try and get revenge to her, it had nothing to do with bullying and it's one of the shittiest handled "lessons" of all time. >_>

You don't think maybe realizing that she treated them so badly they wanted to get revenge on them and she went too far was what she learned? and nothing to do with bullying? that scene showed how a bully can go to far, and end up in trouble for doing so