Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is The World of My Little Pony Flat?

Everfree

Flat or Round  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Flat or Round?

• Flat
    • Round

So I've been wondering lately; is the world of mlp flat? I ask this because I don't quite understand how the sun and moon work in Equestria. When they say it's Celestia's job to raise the sun, what does that mean exactly? If the world of mlp was is the shape of a sphere, wouldn't that mean Celestia would have to constantly be moving the sun? Because if the world was a sphere the sun would be constantly rising in different places. But that doesn't happen, because there has been countless times where we have seen Celestia not trying rise or move anything. Also, if the world was a sphere, wouldn't that mean Nightmare Moon's plan of making it night forever fail? Because it might be night on one side of the earth, but it's daytime on the other. Also if it's Celestia's job to raise the sun, why are there sunsets and dawns? Does it take awhile for Celectia to move the sun in the right position? Well, no because at the Summer Sun Celebration we see Celestia clearly raise the sun in a quick manner. The only way the moon and the sun would make since in the world of mlp is that, the world would have to be flat so the sun could stay above the world, while the moon hides below it, then swicth when the earth would start to get to hot.

But that's just my theory.

What do you guys think?

Flat or Not?

Too deep for MLP.

Meh. It would be counterproductive for them to show the world being normally round. They can't have everything be realistic or else we'd only see Celestia at night. It just doesn't work.

Like how people believed that the Earth was fat, science or anything in the show can prove that their world is round or in a spherical shape that they never show us but we know that it is. Since, Celestia couldn't have banished Luna to the moon if their world was flat.

It's round, how did luna get banished to the moon if the earth was flat?

Like how people believed that the Earth was fat, science or anything in the show can prove that their world is round or in a spherical shape that they never show us but we know that it is. Since, Celestia couldn't have banished Luna to the moon if their world was flat.

Wait, why couldn't Luna get banished if the world was flat? The Sun and Moon could just be giant floating sphere thingys that Celestia and Luna rise and lower each day in the world of mlp. I don't see why the world being flat would prevent Luna being locked away.

Wait, why couldn't Luna get banished if the world was flat? The Sun and Moon could just be giant floating sphere thingys that Celestia and Luna rise and lower each day in the world of mlp. I don't see why the world being flat would prevent Luna being locked away.

Its possible that celestia only moves the planet and not the sun, and a sun and moon cant revolve around a flat surface, how would they set?

Let's put it this way, if their world was completely flat, Celestia can still banish Luna but she wouldn't be able to be banished to the moon without an exit point for her to get shot out to the moon. But if it was round which it is, Luna can be sent out to the moon with no problem.

I've seen some theories where the 'sun' is actually orbiting around Equis(MLP:FiM's fan name for the planet.)

This is possible because the 'sun' is slightly bigger/same size as the moon.

I voted flat... cause...

How is that proof? I only see one side... and its flat ;)

As to whether I am convinced that the world really is round like this globe, that is uncertain. However, I would like to refute this argument.

20120926152619!Spike_oooh_globe_S2E10.pnSpike is literally spinning the globe in this scene, and if you don't believe that, look carefully and you'll notice the angle is different from the other picture. And if you still don't believe it, go watch the episode.

If you were just joking, well then please forgive my over-analyzing self. :derp:

The globe above, and Pinkie's quote, proves that the ponies *believe* their world to be round. Of course, they could be wrong. We have no direct evidence because at no point in the show do we see the ponies actually circumnavigating the world. Yet.

A flat world can still have the sun and moon rising and setting. It just means that there is an underside of the world where the sun and moon reside when they are not in the sky. It also means that there is an 'edge' of the world, which might take several forms.

The idea that the sun is not a 'real' sun the way we understand it, is one I put forward awhile back. At least early on in the series there was several things that implied that the pony's world was part of a big terraforming effort. The ponies could only eat plants grown by Earth Ponies, there were several species with a completely different metabolism (dragons, basilisks, diamond dogs, who seem to eat rock plus Changelings and Windigoes who eat emotional energy), the weather was being controlled (wild weather was frightening and considered very dangerous), and the day-night cycles were being maintained artificially as well. In that scenario, it would make sense that the sun is a much smaller object than what we expect, basically an artificial light source in orbit around the world because the actual 'sun' is for some reason too dim to be useful.

I voted flat... cause...

How is that proof? I only see one side... and its flat ;)

>_>  really... Its a globe... Globes spin... a flat object can not spin... unless it is on its base but the globe is not on its base.... It would have to be on its side for it to look like that and a flat object on its side couldn't spin...

Edited by Times Core

Equestria has to be the most powerful nation in the world. Everything is "equestriacentric". For example: The day starts when Celestia raises the sun. Well, I think that creatures living on the other side of the globe disagree... I wonder if other nations say that equestrians are full of it when they say Celestia raises the sun and Luna the moon.

I would prefer if Equestria was flat.

In Princess Twilight Sparkle, the sky was literally half-day and half-night.

Exactly. I'd say more: that day and night meshed together as if they were not just the effect of the presence of the sun in the sky.

Exactly. I'd say more: that day and night meshed together as if they were not just the effect of the presence of the sun in the sky.

Agreed, the moon wasn't just reflecting the light of the sun like it does in our case, or blocking it by being in front of the sun. It was actively cancelling out the sun's light somehow in a region around it.

Equestria has to be the most powerful nation in the world. Everything is "equestriacentric". For example: The day starts when Celestia raises the sun. Well, I think that creatures living on the other side of the globe disagree... I wonder if other nations say that equestrians are full of it when they say Celestia raises the sun and Luna the moon.

I would prefer if Equestria was flat.

I have 3 (2) possible theories on Celestia and Luna controlling the moon & sun
  • The sun & moon orbit Equus
  • Celestia & Luna move the planet not the sun & moon
  • they move on their own and Celestia and luna are just phonies (this one is a joke)
tumblr_lta7g0wvGv1qad3lyo1_500.png Edited by Times Core

Oh. Gee....

What if Equestria is really flat and there is a sort of "round-Earth" movement in Equestria and Twilight is secretly a part of it?!  :lol:

I have 3 (2) possible theories on Celestia and Luna controlling the moon & sun

• The sun & moon orbit Equus
  • Celestia & Luna move the planet not the sun & moon
  • they move on their own and Celestia and luna are just phonies (this one is a joke)
tumblr_lta7g0wvGv1qad3lyo1_500.png

Honestly? I think that all three are possible. And worst: I don't think the writers may have given it any thought.  :okiedokielokie:

Putting jokes aside, If I had to come up with an answer, right now., I'd say that Equus (really liked this name) is flat and that globe, and Pinkie's line are discrepancies. Because it just makes more sense to me. Let's hope this is answered in the future.

Edited by moonlightavenger

I'm still not convinced that Celestia and Luna literally raise and lower the moon and sun.

For it to work, the physics of the universe in which Equestria reside must be radically different from our own.

One theory I read once involves them merely maintaining the magical forces that keep these things going.

It's round, I believe the planet they live on is supposed to be a pony-version of Earth.

Plus, they have mountains and such, so it can't be completely flat. ^^"

• Brohoof 1

It's round, I believe the planet they live on is supposed to be a pony-version of Earth.

Plus, they have mountains and such, so it can't be completely flat. ^^"

That makes sense and in episode where pinkie was filly-second didn't she run around the planet? I can't remember that episode that well.

• Brohoof 1

That makes sense and in episode where pinkie was filly-second didn't she run around the planet? I can't remember that episode that well.

I don't think she ran around the entire planet.

I think Spike said she "could have" by that point. ^^

I just watched it again the other day, but I'm not 100% either. ^^"