Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do You do when You're Scared Silly?

True Rarity

Here's the deal. It's really late in my area, but I just can't sleep. My mind keeps wandering to things I just don't understand that scare me and make me feel nauseous. I would talk to my parents, but they are currently watching a scary-sounding movie, which wouldn't help things much. It's really starting to terrify me - what happens when I no longer have my parents to help?

Great, that thought made me more scared. Please help me... :(

Not that I wish to state the obvious, but perhaps watching some candied colored equines might help. But that's more of a temporary thing, and doesn't really help you if you are trying to sleep.

Perhaps some white noise; just focusing on some white noise can help clear your mind.

• Brohoof 3

A wandering mind can be pretty annoying; I've tried to discipline my mind to quiet down, but sometimes it just won't. I have my mp3 player beside me for those moments and I just listen to some relaxing music. It clears my head, helps me relax and gives me something else to focus on.

I don't know how strong your connection is with your parents, but I'd talk with them about your feelings regardless. You're their daughter after all, I'm sure they'd take the time to turn off the movie and have a genuine discussion with you.

• Brohoof 1

It depends on the type of fear. For general feelings of unease, holding a knife calms my nerves (any comfort object is fine, I'm just a weirdo), and for fear with a known cause I either take precautions against the cause or avoid it like the plague. Listening to or holding in mind specific music is also helpful if you know a few good songs for the situation.

If the fear you are experiencing is related to a serious or long-term problem, you need a long-term solution (with which friends or family can help), but for general, short-term nervousness/unease, something to comfort or distract the mind long enough to fall asleep is all you need.

• Brohoof 1

Try to think more logically by maybe writing my thoughts and worries out and think more logically of them, get control of my emotions or try (if I've seen a scary image), imagine it much happier by making it a joke or something similar.

• Brohoof 1

Stop, Drop, and Roll

I don't know why that make me laugh so hard.

Oh! But the few times I've been scared, I've cried and screamed really loud. 

I would like to thank all of you for the encouraging - and funny - responses. I ended up talking to my parents who recommended that I go downstairs, turn the TV volume waaaaaay down, and watch something "not scary". So my mom talked with me and watched half of Equestria Girls with me before heading back to bed, and after the movie, I watched some MLP episodes and fell asleep in the middle of Hurricane Fluttershy.

Again, thank you so much. If you wish, some more responses would be nice, for future reference.

• Brohoof 2

Haha, good to hear everyone's advice helped! I was actually about to post about trying to watch a nice, not-scary show, but I guess I'm a bit late.

Still good to hear you're doing fine! You can also turn to music if you can't watch anything. Instrumental versions of upbeat or calming music always helps me!

Continue.

I would applaud anyone that manages to give me a right scare.

Though if it is [REDACTED], I might just start walking up the walls. Seriously, screw those little bastards.

Here's the deal. It's really late in my area, but I just can't sleep. My mind keeps wandering to things I just don't understand that scare me and make me feel nauseous. I would talk to my parents, but they are currently watching a scary-sounding movie, which wouldn't help things much. It's really starting to terrify me - what happens when I no longer have my parents to help?

Great, that thought made me more scared. Please help me... :(

Music. I find music helps me a lot. To be honest I still have my lullaby cassette tape from when I was a baby. I also listen to flute music. I also hum. I hum when I'm terribly frightened or extremely angry. If you wish me to send you some links to some of my favorite songs, please inbox me.