Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The 2014 MLPF World Cup Interviews

Inactive01

(edited)

Listen to this as you read...

In less than two months... two tournaments will determine the most passionate, the most popular, and the most talented team in the world... One will shock the globe with athletic bliss and artistic footwork... the other... happens here.

The MLPF World Cup is a tournament that will be filled with passion... filled with competition... filled with energy... The most loved characters in the fandom will compete in a tournament of the ages and witness the outpouring of love their fans express. At the same time, it brings fans together. People from all over the forums will see the diversity of our community and be left in admiration at just how big and unified we are as a forum.

Now... you can hear it from your fellow members firsthand about their background…

“I began stumbling upon pony videos on Youtube…”

“While perusing another forum that I once upon a time frequented…”

“A friend of mine told me…”

Their passion...

"I LOVE HER AWESOMENESS!!!!"

"Let's all gather around some love for Best Crusader!"

"Rally my brothers and sisters! Love for the Queen, Long live the Queen!"

"What it'll take is support. Lots of support."

"Pinkie will respond to any challenge by standing tall, and we'll be pushing her all the way through the competition..."

"I don't have a cry but I can give out an epic classical music piece for Octavia!"

“Let’s light them up!”

Their hopes…

"...remember that tournaments like these are for fun and while fanboying is a lot of fun we must remember to keep things civil and to have fun."

"I will just say that it's a competition, so please, everyone stay civil and friendly to each other, sometimes forums can be harsh but it's only up to us to determine the outcome..."

“We're bronies, we shouldn't let good fun like this create any kind of animosity between us.

See why they love their character, and gaze your eyes on the diversity of MLPF! As you read, you will see that almost every character in the World Cup has a major fan taking the charge for their character! All the beats drumming in one accord... for unity in diversity in MLPF!

First character profile. May 12th.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, how did you find the preview guys?! In short, this thread’s where I’ll talk about every character participating in the 2014 MLPF World Cup, beginning with the Mane 6 and progressing to the rest of the characters. For each character, there will be a short background section before we head to the meat of the thread: the interviews! Here I showcase a fan from the major camps of the 2014 MLPF World Cup. You'll find that some of them aren't necessarily the most vocal, but they certainly share the same amount of love for their character as anybody else would! As the end of the preview suggests, the first character profile will be released on May 12th.

Edited by Sterling Crimson
  • Brohoof 20

(edited)

Great write-up, this is gonna be awesome. Thanks for putting in so much hard work. :D

You're very welcome. It's a big part of what I do to keep the forums a friendly and united place. :)

Edited by The Ancaster Brony
  • Brohoof 2

You're very welcome. It's a big part of what I do to keep the forums a friendly and united place. :)

And your efforts to that end are appreciated. Thanks a lot. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

We're not starting the character profiles yet. Nevertheless, I wanted to show an interview with @PE Brony, who will be one of our commentators for the 2014 MLPF World Cup! I asked him four questions about himself and his take on the 2014 MLPF World Cup. 

1. How did you first stumble upon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Well, I remember my older sisters having toys from the earlier versions of MLP, you know: the thick, hollow rubber ponies that were like fat horses with no real hope of ever being called "cute." But in regards to FiM, I had heard tidbits about it listening to three of my little nieces talking to each other, but I don't think I ever saw anything from FiM until about 18 months ago. Fall semester 2012 at college, my roommate was always on his laptop, playing Valve games, browsing Reddit, and one day I saw something bright and colorful on his screen. I saw ponies and asked, "Is that MLP?" He pulled out his headphones and excitedly said, "Yes it is!! Have you ever watched it?" I told him no, but you know, "whatever floats your boat" and walked away thinking "Whatever, he's pretty quirky anyway." Over the next few weeks he tried convincing me to watch clips or episodes with him. I finally watched "Dragonshy" with him, but it was the version where all the characters were voiced by 'Professor Layton.' I laughed quite a bit. I was more willing to let him show me clips of episodes or random things related to MLP after that, but I wasn't a Brony by any stretch of the word! That wasn't until about 15 months later! (About 3 months ago now).

2. Why do you love My Little Pony?

I love the comedy! The writers do a wonderful job of using each of their characters to drive the plot. Also, who can resist those adorable faces? I love the antics, the sound effects (like the squee when they grin etc), and the whole style of the show. I fell in love with Rainbow Dash from the first time I watched and listened to her in "Dragonshy." Even being voiced by a guy in the first version I saw, her lines were so sarcastic and I love that! Then when I heard her actual voice I just loved it even more. I love each of the characters for different reasons and they all bring something special to their group of friends!

3. How did you get acquainted with, and why do you like sports?

My dad was an athlete in high school, so he trained me to play soccer from the age of two years old. Yep, I was running drills in the backyard before I can even remember! Over the years he taught me to be athletically ambidextrous (a HUGE benefit in any sport, I'll tell ya!) and the importance of giving your all, whether it was an individual or a team sport, and to help those around you improve.

As for why...I'm really competitive! I love the dynamic struggle between 2+ people / teams for a goal! Strength v Speed v Agility v Technique v Height v Strategy! The possibilities are amazing! I enjoy  sports for the sport itself. I find that by not having any set-favorites I can enjoy ANY game and ANY good play by any player! Maybe that's why I'm able to enjoy being a referee too...I am able to be neutral when I am or am not competing! (I've been known to be too honest in sports...haha, but what is the point of being called the best if you're only the best at cheating?)

4. Who do you think will win the 2014 MLPF World Cup, and why?

This is the hardest question for me by far! Being pretty new to the fandom and to this forum, I've had limited time to gather people's feelings about everypony! However, in light of the recent MM tournament, I feel like Rarity and Princess Luna will be in the Finale! The thing is, my bracket prediction has Rarity going head-to-head against Applejack again, just like in the MM tournament! It will be interesting to see what happens if that comes true. I am thinking that Luna just might be able to nudge Rarity off the podium. Princess Luna will be a dark-horse though (pun intended!) as my bracket has her having to overcome The Great and Powerful Trixie as well as the Timid and Adorable Fluttershy! But Rarity's path is no less-difficult because I have her battling against three, yes, THREE of the Mane 6 to get to the final! She'll have to out-think Twilight Sparkle, outmaneuver Rainbow Dash, and out-muscle Applejack!

• Brohoof 7

We're not starting the character profiles yet. Nevertheless, I wanted to show an interview with @PE Brony, who will be one of our commentators for the 2014 MLPF World Cup! I asked him four questions about himself and his take on the 2014 MLPF World Cup.

Woo! I believe the best part of doing online interviews is the responses can be quoted verbatim! Haha I didn't think I would attain the spotlight so soon! Thanks Ancaster

(edited)

As you can see here, I asked the same questions I asked @PE Brony to @Frostgage, another fellow commentator for the 2014 MLPF World Cup! Enjoy!

1. How did you first stumble upon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic?

Late last year, I was searching for one of my favorite songs on Youtube, when I stumbled onto the Rainbow Dash "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" video. I thought the show actually looked pretty good, so I watched Sonic Rainboom, loved it, then proceeded to watch every episode from the beginning.

2. Why do you love My Little Pony?

The plot, writing, art, voice acting, and even the music, is so far above what I ever expected. But I think the biggest thing for me is the interesting and relatable characters. Everything combined just makes it really enjoyable.

3. How did you get acquainted with, and why do you like sports?

I'm from Massachusetts, where sports are everything. Watching and playing sports has just always been a huge part of my life. I guess the biggest reason I love them is the strategy involved, and the thrill of competition.

4. Who do you think will win the 2014 MLPF World Cup, and why?

I may be a bit biased, but I'm gonna go with my favorite pony, Twilight Sparkle. However, I think this competition is more up in the air than any that's ever been held before, and I think a lot of different ponies have a chance at the title. One thing I do know is that it's going to be exciting.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Before I get to the first of the character profiles for the 2014 MLPF World Cup this Monday, I have one more interview for you. I managed to talk with a somewhat neutral observer who's planning to be involved with voting for their favourite characters this summer! I introduce you... the always huggable,

1. How did you first stumble upon My Little Pony?

Two years ago, my friend sent me first episode of this show during a random chat. I was like, "Are you serious?!" and kept protecting my "manliness" from this so called "girly" show like a boss! :D But he was so unbelievably stubborn that I gave up and watched it. I expected to die of sweetness and "girliness" overload when I started. After watching it I was like, "Woah... it was not bad"... I watched the next one... and the next... Before you knew it, I thought, "Omg... the first season is over... what am I doing with my life?" - I kept asking myself. Really, I had a hard time accepting the fact that I liked this show. But in the end the fact that there are hundreds of bronies around who are even older helped me. But anyway. This is how I became a brony. Basically - friend's fault  :D

2. Who's your favourite character, if any? And why?

I don't really have any "favourite character". Everypony has something special (with background ponies included even if majority of their personality and story is made by fandom) that makes him/her awesome. But maybe I will mention why I liked Octavia so much at that point (and why I still like her). Well. I described it on my profile already. But first - she's a musician. Just like me. And this is why I actually started to like her and why I looked "deeper" into her story etc. She sticks to classical music and to more "ambitious" attempts in songwriting and performing and she reminds me of what music I'd like to play (even if I am in metal and play electric guitar). Second reason - her friendship with Vinyl Scratch. There are big differences between those two. Yet they remain best friends, live together and don't get tired of each other. I just like this fact itself, because it shows that entirely different people too can succesfully become close friends and I myself experienced it already as I have some friends that have very different interests from me. Sorry for chaotic answer but I really had no idea what to say at this point especially due to time (it's now night in Poland haha).

3. If you were to give out a few rallying cries to your fellow fans for the MLPF World Cup, what would you say and do?

Shoutout? Do I have to? I am terrible at shoutouts. I will just say that it's a competition, so please, everyone stay civil and friendly to each other, sometimes forums can be harsh but it's only up to us how will its future look like ^^ Every pony is awesome and the fact that Your favourite one loses does not mean that others think that such pony is bad. Well, sadly some do but those are rare individuals, right? ^^ Oh, and also since I am Hugoholic - Hug for everyone who reads this  :D *hug*  

4. Which group of the World Cup do you find the most difficult to choose between the characters and why?

Definitely group C which contains Fluttershy, Angel, Octavia and Applebloom. Angel of course is NOT the character I will vote on, Applebloom... I like her, but still she is not the problem. Problem is choosing between Fluttershy and Octavia. Fluttershy is other character that I love as she reflects my own personality in many aspects. And Octavia... she too is kinda like me for example with that simple fact of being a musician and she's one of characters I like most along with Fluttershy. Other groups have characters that don't leave me with such dilemma. 

5. As a (somewhat) neutral observer of the World Cup, how much should people be able to support their favourite characters? How far is too far?

IMO it's only up to people. It's their decision if they want to vote only or do they want to write short post about it. Or if they want to go Sugar Cube style and write entire essay about why their pony is best pony  :D (I had to, sorry, Sugar Cube! :v ).  Of course everything has its limits. In my opinion offending other characters (for example infamous "Applejack is background pony" joke) is where I say enough. People have right to dislike some characters, matter of taste. But openly hating them without even being able to do some constructive criticism is where I say "enough". Don't ruin the fun for others. Not everyone will just ignore hate on his/her favourite character. Also hateful comments on character that won against someone's favourite pony is something I really dislike and find very childish. 

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Very cool Sterling, can't wait to read all the interviews!  Also, thanks for posting these three you've got so far, very interesting reads indeed, and always fun to read how others found ponies.  :muffins:

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

These are great so far, always interesting to learn how others got into the show.

If I'm not out of line, little suggestion. Maybe place the interviews under individual spoilers in the first post? Something like this for example?

(Pony name) - (Member name)

Interview goes here

Just would keep things better organized and easier to read, especially once this thread gets attention.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think it's about time we began our first interview... for most people in the globe, it is already May 12th... And it will be May 12th in less than two hours for me. Let's begin.

Derpy Hooves and Dinky Doo

Derpy Hooves. A grey mare with a blonde mane. She was a figure of controversy in her short and sudden cameo appearances. She was the only character to have walled eyes. She was also the epitome of clumsiness, as evidenced in “Feeling Pinkie Keen” when all her luggage dropped onto Twilight as she surveyed Pinkie’s ever move. Her lumbering nature became the source of the controversy, manifested through her name, “Derpy”, one that was considered offensive to some audiences.

Nevertheless, her “Where’s Waldo” like appearances have captured the hearts of the Derp Brigade, which came blasting into the scene after she was given her only speaking lines in “The Last Roundup”. Since then, Derpy has been involved deeply with fan-art and fan music. She has been given a shipping with Dr. Whooves, a portmanteau of Dr. Who. The fans have been so enthusiastic about Derpy Hooves that they have given her a daughter in Dinky Doo, who is also participating in the 2014 MLPF World Cup. While Derpy Hooves has not been given a speaking role since “The Last Roundup”, her love of muffins will ensure that Derpy Hooves will never die as a strong character for the masses.

Today, I am honoured to introduce to you the undisputed leader of the Derp Brigade on MLPF. Our very own @Batbrony will entertain us with an interview of the origins for his love of Derpy Hooves and his hopes for the 2014 MLPF World Cup!

How did you first stumble upon My Little Pony?

While I was interning in Washington, D.C., in the winter and spring of 2012, I began stumbling upon some pony vids on YouTube, most notably Solrac's "Scream-Dubs" over MLP songs.  Originally, I was just looking for some good laughs seeing as I had some more time on my hands but not too many classmates from Hillsdale out east with me, but over time, for whatever reason, the show just began to look more and more appealing to me.  Eventually, sometime in March, I finally watched the show, and, well, that was that, I was hooked.  In April of 2012, I officially joined MLP Forums, my first public declaration to anyone else that I was a brony, and my life has certainly been made the better for it.

What was the defining moment of you deciding on your favourite character, if any?

When I joined the fandom, "The Last Roundup"-Derpy controversy was in its final stages.  The most major conflicts had already subsided, but the fandom was currently reeling from the shocking outrage at a harmless cameo and character.  At first I thought those in favor of Derpy must be overreacting, but as I learned more about her and her first speaking role, I too became quite angry and sympathetic to her.  I can't stand stupidity, and the attacks against her remain one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.  I've also had my fair share of hurdles in my own life, and was quite socially awkward in grade school, so I could sympathize with that aspect of Derpy's character as well.  I think, however, that the defining moment would have to be when I first watched "The Last Roundup".  I'd already spent an entire season and a half following her countless cameos, and learning in the process just what she meant to the fandom, but when I saw that scene, and realized how that one scene stood testament to the bonds between the show's producers and the fandom after just a little over a year of its existence, I realized that Derpy Hooves was, without a doubt, my Best Pony.

Why do you love your character?

For me, Derpy stands for everything that makes MLP great.  The love between the show's makers and its unlikely fans, that love has always been best embodied in Derpy herself.  She's more or less the unofficial mascot of the brony fandom at this point, and anytime that she appears, it's like everyone at DHX is saying to us, "We care.  We know you love us, and guess what, we love you back!"  I love the creative potential she presents as a blank slate without too much known about her character, and am currently exploiting that aspect of her character in my fanfic "Batmare Begins".  My appreciation for muffins has actually increased since I first started watching the show (that's not a joke).  But most of all, I just love her attitude.  Derpy goofs up more than every background character in the show, and sometimes more than even the main characters, and yet no matter how clumsy she ever gets, she keeps going through life with a smile always on her face.  As far as I can tell, Derpy just loves life and everything about it, and I think that that quiet optimism and positive attitude is something we should all strive for.  Yeah, there's plenty of bad things in life, but it's far too beautiful a thing to not appreciate and love to its fullest for all its beauty and wonder.  Sometimes, all you can say after committing some error, or screwing up in some way, is "Oops, my bad!".  After that, just do as Derpy does and keep on trucking with a smile on your face; life'll be a little brighter for it, I can tell you that much.

As for Dinky Hooves, I'll admit that the primary reason I love her is simply because she's Derpy's fanon daughter.  They're both undeniably adorable and have an uncanny likeness, and, I don't know, the idea of Derpy being a mother with a daughter and everything is just too cool.  Sure, Dinky doesn't do too much, but she's shown up more than a lot of filly background ponies, has a very distinctive look, and just looks so much like she could easily be Derpy's daughter.  Here's hoping both she and Derpy do great and go far in the World Cup!

If you were to give out a few rallying cries to your fellow fans for the MLPF World Cup, what would you say and do?

Oh I'm sure that I'll be coming up with all kinds of rallying cries throughout the tourney.  That said, I will say that I have full confidence that the Derp Brigade will show up in force for our beloved mailmare when the time comes.  We've got lots of heart, passionate fans, and an amazing mother-daughter duo to cheer for!  Ready yourselves lovers of Derpy, for we've got quite the competition coming up.  Most importantly of all, however, just do as Derpy would do: show some great love to her and Dinky, show respect and civility to our competitors, and always, ALWAYS have fun every step of the way.  Win or lose, as true lovers of Derpy, we're going to enjoy this thing no matter what!

Derpy_Hooves_and_Dinky_Do_by_artist-tryh

Dinky Doo barely qualified for the World Cup at the expense of Bon Bon and is now grouped with Bon Bon's best friend, Lyra. Are you concerned at what could be a growing rivalry between the two characters? 

I'm more concerned about Dinky winning in general.  I don't think there's really any potential for bad blood developing between fans of either character for a couple of reasons: (1) there's simply not enough fans in either character's camp, at least any that are that passionate about the two of them, and (2) we're bronies, we shouldn't let good fun like this create any kind of animosity between us.  So to answer your question, no I don't think there's any growing rivalry between the two characters nor am I concerned about it.  I anticipate that they're both going to have a great match up and that both sides fans will be out in droves ready to support who they will.

Members have lately been whispering about the heavyweight match between the Derp brigade and the Rarity corps. How excited are you about the match up and what do you expect coming into the match?

I'm quite excited indeed!  It's so cool that Derpy's guaranteed a match up at all with a Mane 6 pony (never a sure thing in the March Madness Tournament).  Going into it, if things go for Derpy as I hope they do, then I'm hoping I won't have to be too worried as she'll have 2 wins under her belt already against Sunset Shimmer and Spitfire.  Neither of those match ups are sure things, obviously, but they'll definitely be a lot easier to handle than Rarity will, and hopefully Derpy will have enough of a voter differential lead on the other two that she'll be able to qualify for the next round, whether she wins or loses against Rarity.  Like I said though, no match up's a sure thing in this tourney, so to all my brethren lovers of Derpy, I say, get out there Derp Brigade, get out the vote and support our beloved mailmare with all you've got!

Thank you very much for your time Batbrony. I await the Derp Brigade on Derpy's first match on June 15th and Dinky Doo's the day after. I wish the best of luck to you all next month.

• Brohoof 10

Thanks again very much for giving me the pleasure to participate in this interview series, Sterling Crimson!  Here's hoping the MLPF World Cup goes off without a hitch and is a blast!!!  :muffins:

large.png

• Brohoof 6

:o I completely forgot!

Here's Derpy's jersey and Derpy's flag if you guys want it! I'm sure the Derp Brigade will find much use for it! :)

Flag of Derpy Hooves

post-1689-0-63993900-1399902998.png

Jersey of Derpy Hooves

ScreenShot2014-02-17at23039AM_zps222d1b9

Flag of Dinky Doo

post-1689-0-73027000-1399903088.png

Jersey of Dinky Doo

ScreenShot2014-02-17at24155AM_zps7709898

• Brohoof 7

Sweetie Belle

You ever wondered why My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is such a cute show? No it’s not the plot. Nor is it the colour setting. It’s the appearance of the characters that makes them really cute. Their soft manes perhaps? Or their big eyes and really cute smiles? Or the brightness of their colours and how it makes them so huggable? Well you see, Sweetie Belle is one of the few characters who has all that rolled into one. A very young, yet cute blank flank CMC for starters, and “For Whom Sweetie Belle Toils” shows her as a five year old… I died of cuteness when she cried… She was SO IRRESISTIBLE! And then there was “My Little Investigations!” Her description was so cute! I laughed when they said she wasn’t the brightest of the CMC, because that’s what makes her all the cuter!

Cute, cute, cute! Even her NAME suggests she’s the cutest of the CMC! :3 That’s the theme for Sweetie Belle today, along with a very loving sister in Rarity! Today, we are going to have a look at a huge fan of Sweetie Belle today in @hawkflame!

Though I've always known about the franchise dating back to G1, it was actually the designated MLP thread in an anime forum I go to that got my attention on G4.  Now this is not a typical anime forum where the average age is about 18 (nothing against 18 year olds!).  These are generally college educated people in their mid-20s and older, and they generally know what they're talking about, so when they started getting into it, I thought it would be something worth checking out.  I watched the first two parter (this was maybe in spring of 2011), and believe it or not, I sat on watching more for almost a year.  Not because I didn't like it, but rather because I knew where I would be headed with it and didn't want to dive deep into another series again.  So I picked it back up in early 2012 and have never left since.

Now I kind of wish I stayed with it back in 2011.  It would have been cool to be part of the early fandom.

What was the defining moment of you deciding on your favourite character, if any?

With Sweetie Belle, it wasn't any one moment where I settled on how awesome she was.  It was sort of a gradual realization. I like to go back and think about and reflect on the show and the characters, and that's when I really craft my thoughts on what's gone on.  Probably why my YouTube channel is pony analysis, as opposed to blind reaction.  My blind react vids would be incredibly boring.  Anyway it would have to be at some point in season 2, where she not only had good development thanks to "Sisterhooves Social", she also really stepped up in the underrated and *hilarious* "Hearts and Hooves Day".    "OH COME ON!" probably gave me the single most gut busting laugh in the entire series, but in that episode on the whole she really stepped up.  Really excitable, passionate, and cute all at the same time.

She's incredibly funny and incredibly cute, but can be kind of bratty and a little self centered, and often doesn't really think things through.  She is like a real kid- albeit a very entertaining and adorable one.   Very excitable and emotional, with a bit of sass.  Probably gets the most memorable lines of any Crusader.  "Why Does life have to be so IRONIC?"  - Still one of my faves.  Usually I like to sink my teeth into a character a little more than that, but because she’s really just a supporting character and not a lead, that's probably enough.  And I guess I can relate to her to some degree, being the youngest in my family. 

Plus how could you resist those squeaks!  *so adorable*

If you were to give out a few rallying cries to your fellow fans for the MLPF World Cup, what would you say and do?

Come on, Sweetie Bellians!  Let's all gather around some love for Best Crusader!   You guys with me?  How could you say no to a voice like this?

Sweetie Belle has the opening match of the 2014 MLPF World Cup, all to herself and Shining Armor! How excited are you about this, and what do you expect heading into the World Cup for her?

I'm pretty excited!   I think she'll do well.  A lot of the people in the Rarity fanclub also like her a lot, and look at how huge that thread is!

What was your initial reaction to "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils?" And how did you feel after that episode?

I really looked forward to it, and it more or less matched my expectations.   I don't like Sweetie Belle because she's perfect, in fact, I totally believe she could do something like that.  She's a kid.  She's genuinely sweet and endearing, but she can also get a bit emotional and doesn't always think things through.  Her behavior in the episode doesn't make me think any worse of her.  I like flawed characters who make mistakes but are big enough to learn from them.

Sweetie Belle Flag

post-1689-0-54920600-1399746465.png

Sweetie Belle Jersey

ScreenShot2014-02-17at22848AM_zpsec3561f

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

Queen Chrysalis

We need something evil for a change. No really. So far, we’ve delved into some of the protagonists of the show. We have to recognize that there are still evil characters in our midst, including one of the most evil of them all! Think about it, she’s a killer queen who can fire off laser beams from her horn! She can transform herself into any character she wants like Doopliss from “Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door”, and she can become more powerful through other ponies’ love! They always said that love could be a weakness, and Queen Chrysalis takes that saying to a whole new level! Although she made only one appearance in Season 2’s finale, we see her everywhere in the comics, and her true might is shown throughout after stealing away the CMC. It’s a great read if you haven’t seen it yet!

But I must digress. We have yet to see the strength of her fan base. Queen Chrysalis has a Changeling Army on her side… well they’re not changeling by any means, but they certainly love her guts and how evil she can be! Now we turn our attention to a fan of Queen Chrysalis, !

Now, how did I develop an interest in My Little Pony… Well it started with a curious picture, a picture of an Orbital Friendship Cannon, followed by a Gif of Rainbow Dash destroying the broken barn in "Lesson Zero". When I questioned my friends, who are Bronies themselves, they directed my attention to the episode in question. That was the very first episode of My Little Pony that I have ever seen. I was hooked by the unique subtlety of the moral themes that are usually in your face with most other shows, I could tell they seek to please, and this pleased me.

The defining moment of my choosing Queen Chrysalis as best pony, was in "A Canterlot Wedding Part 2". More specifically it was the signature look from the side that truly captured my heart. Her dialogue, and goals drove it home as I empathized with her mission. The end of the episode left my heart heavy, and from the standpoint of her people, her mission was truly noble.

Why I absolutely adore Queen Chrysalis? Easy, her serious ideology, compared to that of discord, and large overarching goal in contrast to Nightmare Moon. I was also impressed from a military standpoint as well. In the timeframe that she apparently infiltrated the Castle made me love her from an intellectual vision. The speed her armada had surrounded Canterlot was not something to shake a stick at either. I like evil that thinks, she planned then attacked, very different from Nightmare Moon, or King Sombra. Finally on an emotional level, her mission at its core was to feed her changelings. To fail it wrenched my heart strings, and only increased my love for her.

And to Rally my fellows, I need them to remember this: 

Queen Chrysalis is an unloved being, therefore weak without it! Rally my brothers and sisters! Love for the Queen, Long live the Queen! Love the true her so that she may raise again and grace us with her full strength!

Queen Chrysalis has been given a relatively weak group in Group B. Do you think this can be a platform where she can go far in the World Cup? 

Now standing from a point that considers fairly on the competition, there are a few major Obstacles Queen Chrysalis will have to overcome.

Applejack is a very pivotal character in the series being one of the mane six, but her following is not as substantial as the others. Not to insult her in any way, but from what I’ve known, she is one of the least liked characters, following the youth idealism of "Ooh pegasi can fly! Unicorns have magic, and Earth ponies are regular" This thinking gives earth ponies a false negative connotation amongst the younger generations.

Zecora, she is a side character, and they tend to lean towards smaller fan bases. However given the benefit of being a repeating character she has a growing following, and with an early pivotal role in the first episodes of season four she can stand to be a menacing challenger. As well given her accent and unique cultural style, she has fan bases in a much wider range of demographics.

Mayor Mare. She has a relatively weak fan base, but those that are fans are very loyal and I predict that she will be quiet a dark horse (pony) in this competition, but with very few pivotal roles, and mainly support dialogue, it's up to the pony gods to crown her a winner.

All in all she has a challenge in my opinion to get off the starting platform, but as a central villain character, with a unique style, attitude, and loose end to her current condition, I believe she will face stiff competition, but she can make it far.

As a Queen Chrysalis fan, what do you think of the relationship between the Changeling Queen and Fluffle Puff? And is there a chance we can see Fluffle Puff fans come out to support Queen Chrysalis?

Now while I do not follow many fan-fic relationships, in the case of Fluffle puff from what I know of her personality, Queen Chrysalis is a simply marvelous companion to such a simple pony that clashes with Chrysalis's evil takeover domination style. This, however perfect the match is that is made there, does not affect my headcanon of her ship with my OC.

As general group I believe that we can see a showing from Fluffle Puff's fans, as Fan-Ships can be taken very seriously, and they could see it as a way of "Through voting for Chrysalis, I vote for her partner Fluffle." So in all yes I believe a showing will be made.

Flag of Queen Chrysalis

post-1689-0-66485100-1399483742.png

Jersey of Queen Chrysalis

ScreenShot2014-02-17at23408AM_zps9ad8a9c

• Brohoof 11

(edited)

The Great and Powerful Trixie

Ahhh… The Great and Powerful Trixie. What can I say? She’s a light-blue unicorn who’s appeared in only two episodes as a nemesis to Twilight Sparkle. But most people would say otherwise. She’s prideful, cunning, and magical in her own way. Her two appearances brought to light a character with a troubled past and one who wishes to become the best of the nest. She’s been given a lot of respect and admiration from many parts of the fandom as a recurring antagonist, but much of that went to spoils after repenting from her mistakes when she attempts to gain revenge on Twilight and her friends.

Regardless of her two appearances, many fans have come out on their love for Trixie, among them being , who I managed to grab an interview!

Being born in '87 and having an affinity for older stuff, I've always known about the franchise. I never paid any attention to it though until G4, mostly because it just became unavoidable. I have a younger sister, but she was never into that sort of stuff so ponies were not on the TV playlist. It pretty much played the 1960's Batman exclusively.

By the time I decided to sit down and see what the fuss was about, the second season was over and the third was only about a month away. So yea, I was kind of a late arrival. Not because I was avoiding it or anything, I just had a lot on my plate already.

Once I learned about Faust being the brains behind this generation (and all the VA's I recognized from all over) I decided to check it out anyways, so to Netflix I went. Hit play for the first episode, and I was captivated. While NMM was basically a standard villain story, the show looked good. It did not come across as MLP at all. No bright/pastel color overload, no "girly" themes, the story was something that could have been used in a pony-less cartoon, NMM was pretty cool, the characters were interesting, the writing was good and funny in the right way, and plenty of other stuff.

It had been so long since I saw such a good cartoon, so I was hooked for sure. I've always loved cartoons and always will, I don't care if I'm almost 30. Cartoons show creativity in a market flooded with garbage reality shows and singing/dancing contests.

What was the defining moment of you deciding on your favorite character, if any?

I have several favorites because of the way I group them, Mane 6, non-Mane 6, and villains. The Great and Powerful Trixie is by far my favorite non-Mane 6 character.

It really didn't take long for Trixie to jump to the top of my favorites, but I couldn't say she was more of a favorite than my Mane 6 pony. So I had to split em up like I mentioned.

While in real life I would not be able to tolerate someone with her personality at all, as a character I find her enjoyable. I also don't think what we've seen so far is her true colors, it's all an act to go with her stage magician show. She has been shown to be remorseful and apologetic when she did do something wrong, even if it was because of the Alicorn Amulet.

Boast Busters was a great introduction to her character, but it made her look bad because the plot had to follow the "friendship lessons".  Other than her boasting during her show, which let's face it is a common thing when putting on a show like she was, she really didn't do anything wrong. It was wrong of the Mane 6 to be calling her out and heckling her like they were during her show. You don't go to a concert or anything and stand in the front row to yell at and question the performer.

The Ursa Minor riot can squarely be pinned on Snips and Snails. Two of the stupidest, worst characters in the show, fawning all over Trixie, taking one of her stories as fact and deciding to make it happen to prove a point. Trixie even tried to stop the Ursa when she came face to face with it, even though she knew her magic was nothing more than tricks to sustain a stage show. In the end her stage was destroyed and she was run out of town, I'd be mad about that too. Though her anger was wrongly directed.

There is so much more to her than we have seen, and I do hope they dive deeper into her psyche. Don't just keep bringing her back to be an antagonist to Twilight. I could say much more, but a lot of it is general responses Trixie fan's give for why they like her I'm sure.

The biggest thing, is to keep things civil. Everyone has their favorite pony, and we're all enthusiastic when it comes to showing support for them. There's no need to be bashing on other members or the ponies they like.

Besides, we all know The Great and Powerful Trixie is going to win. I mean, was there every any doubt?

Would you like to see The Great and Powerful Trixie make another comeback somewhere along the line? If so, what would be the scenario where she most shines?

Of course I'd love to see Trixie make a return, just not as an antagonist. There is so much potential with her that I'm afraid will never get touched. It's pretty clear she has gone through some stuff already because of the way she acts. Blames herself for her parent's deaths, bullied when younger, loss of her special somepony, who knows. Either that or she's maybe disappointed with herself because of a certain legacy she feels she needs to live up to, explained below.

What I'd honestly like to see though is one of the theories the fandom has come up with, Trixie is actually the great granddaughter or niece of Starswirl the Bearded. I really like that idea because it can somewhat explain why Trixie is able to do so much with her magic. While not as powerful as Twilight, she clearly has potential if she would put more effort into it. It would also be kind of ironic that her magic is the way it is even though Starswirl was one of the most powerful unicorns. It would be a great opportunity for her and Twilight to bond some more, and go on an adventure. Maybe AJ or somepony finds something in the old castle and brings it to the attention of Twilight once she realizes it's something of Starswirl's and it mentions Trixie. Twilight brings it to Trixie, and they set out on the adventure into Starswirl's secret sanctuary. Twilight ends up in some kind of magic deadly trap that only Trixie can save her from because of her lineage.

Just an idea, but there is plenty of wasted potential with Trixie if they don't bring her back, or just keep using her as an antagonist.

The Great and Powerful Trixie has been drawn into Group A with Sweetie Belle, Princess Luna, and Shining Armor. How difficult will it be for her to advance to the Round of 16?

Sadly, Trixie doesn't have nearly the support she deserves. A lot of people seem to enjoy disliking Trixie for one reason or another. Trixie was pretty easily defeated by Sweetie Belle in the March Madness tournament, and Luna will be very tough to beat because of her overrated attraction that seems to have 90% of the fandom captured.

I'll definitely be cheering for her though, the other three aren't anywhere close to Trixie on my list.

The Great and Powerful Trixie's Flag

post-1689-0-35409800-1399483530.png

The Great and Powerful Trixie's Jersey

ScreenShot2014-02-17at23216AM_zps6438836

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch is somewhat of a different vein from the characters we’ve talked about so far. She’s one of two characters in the World Cup who completely specializes in music. Furthermore, she is the first character in this series to not have a single speaking role during the show. While speculation abounds regarding her place in “Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks”, Vinyl Scratch is still a much loved character in the fan-dom. She is showered with videos and artwork depicting her with her fellow companion, Octavia, also participating in the MLPF World Cup. Her bass cannons and immersions in dubstep are much of what defines her as a pony, and it is this trait that many fans find appealing.

Today, we are going to have a look at our resident DJ and classy Vinyl Scratch fan, .

I first heard about MLP and the fandom when I heard some of my friends discuss this "odd" fandom one of them had heard about. The fandom consisted of a large group of fans, a lot of them guys, who watched a show called "My Little Pony". I myself was quite confused as to how people my age and older could enjoy a show mean for very young girls. I decided that this was so unusual I just had to check it out. That night, I sat down to watch the first episode on my laptop. My first thoughts were "Meh. It's not great." After the second episode, my thoughts were "Hmm... not bad..." After the third episode, it was "OHMIGOSH!!! THIS SHOW IS AMAZING! MUST WATCH MORE!!!!!" And that's how I stumbled upon MLP.

I liked Vinyl from her very first appearance in "Suited for Success", but I have to say that she really stood out as my favourite pony after I saw the fan-made video "Epic Wub Time: Musicians of Ponyville". It really brought out the characters of Octavia and Vinyl, but it was Vinyl that really shone out to me from then on.

I think one of the main reasons I like Vinyl so much is because of how much she stands out in both the show and the fandom. Not only does she stand out in appearance (as blue and cyan hair is quite hard to miss), but the personality that the fandom has given her of a laid back and relaxed, but fun-loving pony makes her all the more individual! With her own special quirks like her Bass Cannon and her giant purple sunglasses, this is one unicorn that's certainly not just one of the crowd! And of course, we can't forget her love of dubstep! It's all this and more that made me feel that Vinyl is without doubt the best pony out there, and to me, every time she appears in the show, her appearance makes each episode that little bit more special.

Friends, bronies, pegasisters; lend me your ears! A day may come when the power of wubs fails, but it is not this day! Today we stand and vote for our favourite unicorn, and help her take the crown of best pony for herself, as we all know she should rightfully wear! Take up your Bass Cannons, take them up, and vote! Let wubs ring in the hills over Ponyville. Let wubs ring in the cites of Canterlot and Manehattan. Let the whole of Equestria hear our voices and our music! So, my fellow bronies and pegasisters, ask not what Vinyl can do for you, but what you can do for Vinyl!

Have you ever considered the possibility that Vinyl Scratch could face Octavia in the knockout stages if the conditions are right? If so, what do you expect in such a matchup?

Oh! Now that's a tough question! Why didn't I see this coming? Well, I have to say I'm a bit of an Octavia fan too actually, but Vinyl would still be my favourite by far! A matchup like this could be a very close one, as I know "Tavi" is quite a popular pony herself! However, I do feel that in such a matchup, Vinyl would still come out on top, no question!

Heading into the World Cup, what type of support do you expect for Vinyl, despite the fact she hasn't had a single speaking line throughout MLP:FiM??

Well, I expect that there will be a lot of support for Vinyl, in spite of her non-speaking roles. She's a very popular pony, with a lot of fan-art, videos and fanfics made featuring her. And let's not forget that he was the only "background pony" to be featured in a trailer for the new Rainbow Rocks movie. She wouldn't have been in a trailer if she wasn't popular! Anyway, who needs speech when you can have dubstep?

Vinyl Scratch Flag

post-1689-0-65774600-1399484883.png

Vinyl Scratch Jersey

ScreenShot2014-02-17at23938AM_zps157a6fb

• Brohoof 6

-snip-

Didn't have the time last night, but just wanted to say thanks again for the opportunity, Sterling. Here's to hoping everything continues to go smoothly.

the_great_and_powerful_trixie_approved_b

• Brohoof 1

This seems like a lovely idea, I can't wait to read all the interviews properly. :)

(edited)

Octavia

There are bronies who would describe Octavia as a character who appeared only once at the Grand Galloping Gala and once through Rarity's magic to ruin a foal's party hosted by Pinkie Pie. Other people would say that the only reason Octavia's so popular is that she's coupled with Vinyl Scratch. The problem with such a view is that she isn't just a character who made two appearances. She's a cellist who stands out to those who love classical music. Her refined tastes and tidied countenance also stand out to those who aspire to become someone neat and tidy. Her grey body and black mane are colours that call out for formality and class, and the way her mane sways as she plays the cello would make some ponies' noses bleed (if you catch my drift).

Anyway, here is a wonderful Octavia fan who would like to talk about his love for Octavia,

I was a Hater before. But I saw that the community of Bronies are getting bigger. So I was realised myself, that I didnt give the show a chance. So I watch the very first one in youtube. I was scared at first but when I watch more episodes. I began loving it! 

My defining moment is that I really love listening to classic music. And this pony really defines it.

Because, originally I was going in for Twilight but many people took her as a waifu. So I need someone that who is barely taken as a waifu. So I chose Octavia. Because of her beauty and music. 

I don't have a cry but I can give out an epic classical music piece! (Just going to get my speakers and iPod) 

What type of classical music do you love best? What's your favourite instrument?

I love the Historical types. I can't think between a guitar or a violin.

Do you think Octavia can go far in the World cup even with Applebloom and Fluttershy to face head on in the groups stages?

Fluttershy will win obviously (mane six) and there is a 30:70 chance if she will win against Applebloom. Due to popularity of course. Like I said, she isn't that popular... :(

Octavia's Flag

img-2655099-1-post-1689-0-32319400-13994

Octavia's Jersey

img-2655099-2-ScreenShot2014-02-17at2295

--------------------------------

Lyra

Some people say that Lyra’s just a cyan looking pony with a minty-looking mane. Other people say that she’s just a background character whose major appearance was becoming a zombie when Queen Chrysalis tried to take over the Royal Wedding. Oh, and did I forget that she also wanted those bridal flowers really badly? With all retrospect however, Lyra is another one of those deep fan characters. With the advent of “Anthropology” the music video and the fact the show portrays her sitting like a human, fans have since written stories about Lyra wanting to become a human being and have associated her with one ever since. Now we get to hear from a deep fan of Lyra, @DukeofCanterlot, and see what he hopes to see from Lyra in the 2014 MLPF World Cup.  

I knew about this series for a long time. I watched one episode way back in 2011 ("Bridle Gossip") which I thought was okay. My sister's exboyfriend was into the series and I first heard about from him (and how I saw "Bridle Gossip" in the first place), but I wasn't a converted brony. It would be a long time later before that happened.

I watched pony videos from time to time and my curiosity finally got to me by October 2013. One video which really piqued my curiosity was actually the "Smile" song. Could a show be as fantastic as that song? I watched the first episode and got interested and eventually made it through all three seasons long before the beginning of the fourth season.

Other things which made me interested was seeing people in my age group spending so much time on the MLP FiM series. Why? I knew about the 4Chan pony troll phase, but I figured that it couldn't be that the show was good...but rather you could get a couple good screenshots from the show which made good troll material.

On other forums I like to go on, I noticed a lot of people had pony avatars or signatures. It wasn't nostalgia for 20 year olds since the show began in 2010. I hoped it wasn't a homage to previous MLP series since the 2nd and 3rd generations were awful.. apparently the 1st generation wasn't bad, but I haven't watched it at all.

I have a couple of favorite characters. An early favorite (and still my favorite of the Mane Six) is Pinkie Pie, for instance. However, I am also a big fan of the fan-made videos and fanfiction. I would say that is how Lyra has made to the top of the list. Since she's a background pony on the show, fans can do interesting things with Lyra without her being "out-of-character" since she doesn't have a "character" on the show.

I really like the stories about Lyra and Bon-Bon and have written many myself. I like what the fans have done in developing Lyras' character. I would say that was the defining moment. I remembered reading a fanfic about Lyra when I was only into the first season thinking, "is she going to become an important character in later seasons?". But I know that will probably never be the case..

As for Lyra, why I love her is that she is energetic and quirky with a steadfast belief that these mythical humans exist - even when the rest of the world doesn't believe her. Lyra also has an adorable character design and seems like a free spirit type.  

I also like the Lyra/Bon-Bon shipfics the best and I've written quite a few. Many of the pics and videos I've seen prior to my own interest in the show were Lyra/Bon-Bon related. I remembered feeling a tad disappointed when I realized that they were only background ponies on the show, but that's probably why many of the fans have had so much leeway in developing them into interesting characters.

I love that the writers are beginning to find interesting ways with incorporating Lyra more into the show. In "Magical Mystery Cure", Lyra was bouncing like Pinkie Pie would. In "Leap of Faith", Lyra was one of the judges for the swim competition and held an upside-down "10" sign, making her more memorable than the other two judges.

I've read some really good Mane Six-related shipfics, but the Lyra/Bon-Bon shipfics typically feel natural and can still mesh well with the show as we know it.
If you look at my FiMFiction account, you'll see that I write a lot of Lyra/Bon-Bon fanfics

One of my favorite Lyra fanfics actually isn't a shipfic at all. It is "Anthropology", which really delves into Lyra's human obsession with some interesting twists. I think it was a really neat way to connect Earth to Equestria.

I would like to remind all of you that you are humans and not ponies. There is one pony that would definitely tolerate and respect ponies unconditionally and that is Lyra Heartstrings. Other ponies might give you the same fearful  and cold reception Zecora received in "Bridle Gossip". 
Lyra is best pony and the Human's Representative!!
May the best pony win!

In all seriousness, no matter who wins, this tournament will be a lot of fun.

How disappointed are you that Bon Bon failed to qualify for the World Cup? How will you respond (hopefully healthily) knowing that Dinky Doo, the character who eliminated Bon Bon, will face Lyra in Group G?

I was initially disappointed that Bon Bon failed to qualify, but I am happy that Lyra qualified, so that balances out. I will do all I can to rally support for Lyra. She could definitely beat Dinky Doo. That seems more likely than not to be honest. It was close between Bon Bon and Dinky Doo and Lyra has more fans than either of them. Bon-Bon will be avenged through Lyra in the world cup. I'll be civil of course.

Group G is touted the weakest group in the tournament. Do you think Lyra can go far in the tournament given this fact? 

I think Lyra could definitely make it far,   Round of Sixteen seems very likely. Depending on who she is put up against in that round, I think you have a potential contender for the Quarterfinals. Especially if she manages to win all of Group G which doesn't seem out of the question. I agree with you that from a fan standpoint, it is the weakest of the eight groups.

Lyra's Flag

post-1689-0-18405600-1399485387.png

Lyra's Jersey

ScreenShot2014-02-17at23905AM_zps21d4037

• Brohoof 10