Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

LGBT+ Bronies: Thoughts on "The Closet"

Eloquence

There are a lot of interesting points being made here. In fact, perhaps my opinion on the subject is changing a bit as a result. I have a few more questions that i would love to hear discussed, actually.

1. What would be a better way to describe not being open about liking my little pony?

2. Is it offensive for queer bronies to say they are "in the brony closet", or is it alright given that we have a "right" to the term (for lack of a better way to put it)?

3. How do you feel about other groups using the closet term? For example, back when I was active in online pagan communities I heard people refer to themselves as being "in the broom closet". In fact I even heard some such people condemn bronies for using the term while using the term themselves for their faith and/or practice. Are the closet terms acceptable for any other groups, or should they be left exclusively to LGBT?

Have at it ;)

(edited)

@Hamp just regarding your first paragraph, I understand what you are saying , but I am concerned. Saying "people make use of getting offended way more than they should", is just closed minded. This is known as victim blaming. People do this because they have a good or at least non-hateful intention (such as using "coming out"), and when they get corrected, rather than take that correction on board they simply say someone is "impossible to please". Because they feel they have done everything in their power to not hurt a certain person, but yet they did. But, intentions mean nothing, crashing a tanker full of oil in Antarctica and saying "oops didn't mean to do that" or doing that and saying "yeah, suck it penguins!" Causes the same problem. So although it may seem people are just being too easily offended, they correct with good reason, and simply because someone feels they have done nothing offensive, doesn't mean they have not.

@FlyBunny I also direct you to this.

@Alice, I totally understand you, and I can't develop a whole lot more on the topic because, honestly, I'm a bit confused about my morales when it comes to the point of complicaded things like 'getting offended'. I can't really tell when it's justified getting offended and when not, i'ts all fuzzy logic to me. If I was offended by, for example, the fact that a person walks in front of my house, it doesn't mean that that person should stop walking by. Don't take my word as the ultimate truth, I'm far from having it.

@multifacetedbrony I think you misinterpreted me in the 'making use of getting offended' part, FlyBunny posted an explanation that is a tad closed to what I meant. I don't think it's your fault though, but mine; I still have a lot of room for improvement on the use of English.

Edit: Oh, about the post just above this one, I think the clearer expression would be 'the brony closet'. Still, it's up to people in general, and I don't think just an argument is going to change their mind. Still I don't think this is too much of a big deal.

Edited by Hamp
  • Brohoof 2