Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight and Alicorn Power

Magnum Flare

I've been revisiting the battle scene for several times now, I kept wondering. Why does Twilight can't control the 4 Alicorn(s) Magic when she used the simple teleportation magic, but when she began fighting Tirek, she's in full control of the Alicorn(s) Magic?

Why do you think about this?

It's probably because the fight against Tirek forced Twilight into a situation where she needed to control her powers. Do you remember the episode "The Ticket Master" and how Twilight teleported away after a huge mob of ponies started trying to persuate her to give them a ticket?  Twilight's ability to control magic relies on her willpower more than anything else. 

• Brohoof 3

Twilight was firing some pretty powerful stuff at Tirek. My theory is that she can tell it what she wants it to do, but since she can't control it well she's gotta hope it does that. Since the reason she can't control it is that there's way too much of it and not because she's not talented at controlling magic, the result is a supercharged version of what she wanted it to do; hence the superpowerful blasts. In other words, Twilight actually (and possibly unwittingly) used the fact that she couldn't control it to her advantage.

The only thing I can't explain is how she managed to keep it from blowing up in her face. :blink:

• Brohoof 1

Twilight actually wasn't in control. She wasn't using age spells, or flashes of light, or any other tactical attack. She was just teleporting and firing energy blasts, using brute strength

Alternative explanation, rage is the path to enlightenment

• Brohoof 2

I agree with this statement. She was able to direct all that magic on the being that nearly killed her pet and destroyed her home and her belongings because focused rage can be a powerful ally.

I've been revisiting the battle scene for several times now, I kept wondering. Why does Twilight can't control the 4 Alicorn(s) Magic when she used the simple teleportation magic, but when she began fighting Tirek, she's in full control of the Alicorn(s) Magic?

For the exact same reason Dash could save Rarity doing a sonic rainboom.  There comes a time when you stop thinking about doing something and just do it in a crisis.

I always assumed that up until the battle, she was doing her best to hold it all that magic back. Once the fight begins she's clearly holding nothing back. She might have even won if she had been given more time to master her new powers.

Twilight seemed to only have trouble keeping so much power at bay. When she was able to release it all, it became easy because- let's face it, when we have knees that need popping and stretching from a curl position, you have to let out all the tension with comfortability, you know.

Twilight actually wasn't in control. She wasn't using age spells, or flashes of light, or any other tactical attack. She was just teleporting and firing energy blasts, using brute strength

Yeah this.

My guess is that if she had full control of her magic, she would have easily won the fight.

Yeah this.

My guess is that if she had full control of her magic, she would have easily won the fight.

No, if you notice, Tirek has the edge in amount of hits landed vs hits taken. If Twilight had her magic, then it'd still be dead equal, just with no advantage for Tirek

• Brohoof 1

No, if you notice, Tirek has the edge in amount of hits landed vs hits taken. If Twilight had her magic, then it'd still be dead equal, just with no advantage for Tirek

Maybe, it's not sure.

We don't know how powerful Twilight could have been if she had mastered the 4 alicorns magic.

Maybe, it's not sure.

We don't know how powerful Twilight could have been if she had mastered the 4 alicorns magic.

Mastering it won't make you stronger, it just means she'd be more versatile. 

Before hand, she was suppressing her power but then, she was using all of it, no one implies otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

Think of Twilight as a balloon (best scenario ever), and giving her all of the Alicorn magic is like filling it with air until it's about to pop. (Unless you tie a not) It's kind of hard to hold all the air in, and that's kind of why she couldn't control it.

As I've said previous times, Alicorn magic is extremely powerful, Twilight even said before she took the powers that she was just getting used to her own Alicorn magic, but that incredible power was quadrupled when she took them. It's kind of hard to hold all that power in without slipping, know what I mean?

When she fought Tirek, it was like letting all the air out of the balloon. She really didn't have to hold anything back and could use her magic to it's fullest potential, we've honestly never seen Twilight go so hard at it with her magic, and to think she contained all the Alicorn magic in Equestria, it's just such an awesome thing. ^^

You know, that got me wondering too.  She can't control it, but when she fights Tirek, its so simple for her.   I think the writers screwed up on that part, IMO. 

You know, that got me wondering too. She can't control it, but when she fights Tirek, its so simple for her. I think the writers screwed up on that part, IMO.

She was very angry when Tirek destroyed her house.

I guess the anger helped her controlling her magic.

I think it was some sort of adrenaline fuelled anger that gave her the strength to actually control the magic, like when people can suddenly lift up cars if someone is in danger. Also the spells she was using were all things she's done before, magic blasts, magic shield, etc. 

(edited)

She was very angry when Tirek destroyed her house.

I guess the anger helped her controlling her magic.

I see.......she fully embraced the dark side of the force, :D Enhancing her magic

Edited by Thunder-Wing