Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

We should not try to convert people?

Bendy

(edited)

We should not try to convert people?

OK, maybe suggest the show. But don't get in their faces. Because quite frankly, some of the 'lesser liked parts' of the fandom will have them running and screaming away from you. Close minded and immature of them, but a factor nonetheless.   

I mean Bronies going around 'converting' people with such messages as join the herd kinda creeps me out.

OK, granted we Bronies don't have a massive military or political power to convert every human on the planet. But nonetheless these Bronies want more Bronies by trying to 'convert' people are kinda of creepy.

Our fandom is already big, and it would grow with or without this whole conversion of people into Bronies. We have to be careful, we could be labeled as something like Borg from Star Trek.

To put it simply, not everyone will become a Brony. Unless hypothetically, some evil overlord that's also a Brony takes over the world and forces everyone to be a Brony or die.

And just because someone is a Brony, doesn't mean they are some high moral person. They can be the next Ted Bundy and still be a Brony. 

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 14

Wow, it looks like you were arguing with yourself a bit up there.

Either way, don't. Suggest the show, sure, but being annoying about it is, well, annoying. There is a reason noone really likes seeing Jehovah's witnesses looking their way, for example. So. Don't be -that guy-.

• Brohoof 2

I think that if someone shows an interest in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, or if they are close friends then conversion might be deemed as appropriate. But other than that, I believe it to be wrong to go around pushing MLP in others' faces just for the sake of conversion. That is one of the most common problems I encounter with people regarding religion (I am not bagging out religion here, I am Christian myself).

Unfortunately most of the Brony community is represented in a negative way. I wouldn't want to see any war going on about conversion.

Imagine if there was a Whovian (Dr Who Fan) conversion thing going on. Sure it is a great show, but you shouldn't really push people to watch it just because of how much you or someone likes it.

I think the same thing could be applied to MLP.

• Brohoof 4

There is a reason noone really likes seeing Jehovah's witnesses looking their way, for example. So. Don't be -that guy-.

I don't mind Jehovah's witnesses, but it does get very annoying being pressured to join something you don't want to be a part of.  :eww:

• Brohoof 2

Well said. I've looked at some posts made by the ABO (Anti-Brony-Organization), one of their reason for launching attacks on us was the fact that some of us shove ponies into people's faces. Really, that's the main problem, without it, they don't really have anything left worth standing on.

I don't know anyone who shoves it into peoples faces, and I don't try to convert anyone into a brony, I just recommend it to a few others that I'm pretty certain will like it. And I don't talk about it much around school friends as I'm usually just called a pedophile.

And I don't talk about it much around school friends as I'm usually just called a pedophile.

That's horrible. I'd punch them for you, but I'm not a minor, so I can't get away with that.

• Brohoof 1

That's horrible. I'd punch them for you, but I'm not a minor, so I can't get away with that.

I've come close to punching a few of them. Most of them assume since its a 'little girls' show we must all be pedophiles, it doesn't matter that the show is good, its a 'little girls' one and that means we all touch little kiddies. I know we don't though.

• 5 weeks later...

Things like "join the herd" in many cases is done in somewhat joking manner but yes there are some bronies that try a bit too hard to get people to watch the show. Suggesting the show is of course fine but talk about "converting" people kind of sounds a bit too cult like for my taste.

• Brohoof 1

Excuse me Non-Bronies, but have you accepted Princess Celestia into your life? Do you have a moment to talk about Twilight Sparkle?

(Sorry if this is offensive :(, but this popped up

In my head when I saw Jessper's comment)

• Brohoof 3

Like a lot of people I don't really try to actively "convert" people, that seems rude and kind of creepy. I've definitely gotten people interested because of a shirt I was wearing or a figure on my desk, but I try not to be imposing about it; that's what gives the Anti-Brony groups fuel for the fire, as-it-were.

People should be able to come at their own free will nobody should be enforced to like something. We all have to accept that not everyone is going to like or accept everything we like or accept. Its part of what makes everypony interesting and different in a sense so yeah I cannot force but I can suggest. I don't see anything wrong in giving someone a suggestion to come try something out unless its something bad like murder or rape.

I can understand why some ponies would find it to be "annoying" and I respect them for being honest in those respects.

-Crystal Edge

I was never really converted by anyone. I just happened to chance upon some pictures, and convinced myself to see what the fuss was all about.

The fandom should never really be concerned about conversion. Yeah, you can introduce people to the show and fandom, but let them do their own research if they wish. You push people too hard they may never try to experience it period.

Also I don't bring up MLP at my school since most of my friends think it's gay, and they would think I'm gay for watching it.

Honestly, I'd get myself some new friends if I was you.  I couldn't be friends with someone who couldn't respect me and tolerate me liking the show.  Also, it sounds like your friends are using the term "gay" as an insult, which I don't care for either.  Anway, no offense intended, that's just what I would do.

• Brohoof 3

I don't actually / deliberately try to convert anyone, but I do draw and submit pony-related images to non-pony-centric sites and make pony-related posts to Facebook.  It's seldom my intention to get anyone into the show; even took me a while to find my own way into it.  I just post things relevant to my interests / share things I care about with my relatively small social circle.  It's not unusual for me to post J.S. Bach music to my FB, and I'm fairly certain I'm the only Bach fan I know there. xD

I don't mind Jehovah's witnesses, but it does get very annoying being pressured to join something you don't want to be a part of.  :eww:

We should all go door to door in our hoods and ask if people will let the magic of friendship into their hearts and start pushing it off as the JW do lol. 

Exuse me sir? But have you heard about the good word of Twilight Sparkle? lol. 

• Brohoof 1

I've never converted anyone to like the show. You shoudn't force people to like anything they don't like-period. Also I don't bring up MLP at my school since most of my friends think it's gay, and they would think I'm gay for watching it.

I was as guilty as anyone of that nonsense when I attended school (a million years ago); saying everything under the sun was "gay" and - although not strictly using it in reference to sexual orientation - meaning it negatively.  Present me would like to travel back in time and slap the **** out of past me.  As of now, I'm of the mind that 1. the word "gay" ought not to be used / abused in that manner, and 2. there's absolutely nothing wrong with actually being gay.  So I needn't be offended if someone calls me - or the show I watch - gay.  Actually, though...  Gay can also mean "brightly colored," and MLP is that lol.