Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pony Opinion - Rainbow Dash or Applejack?

total stranger

I like Applejack quite a lot more. Though honestly, both of them tend to have the weakest episodes in the show.

The thing with AJ is that she's the one character in the main cast who I feel basically loses nothing when she's a supporting character in an episode, she works just as well as when she's one of the stars. I actually think she's the single most important part of the group dynamic because of that, she plays off perfectly against all of the cast.

A lot of people want AJ to get more episodes just alone and away from her family and friends, but they just don't get it. Applejack as a character is fundamentally designed to be part of a group dynamic, she thrives in it. So What Applejack actually needs is just more episodes where she's a co-star alongside one of the other mane cast members like Look Before You Sleep, Bats!, Pinkie Apple Pie and more. This is because she's essentially the straight mare of the group, she's the mature, grounded pony that can react to all the ridiculousness of her friends and stuff. She's also basically the Team Mom, being the one who most frequently takes the role of the comforter and is also basically the Lancer of the group, the one who always takes charge when Twilight isn't around.

People tend to really understate Applejacks role and importance just because she doesn't have an extreme personality and thus doesn't stick out quite as much.

So yeah Applejack as a character is fine right now, she doesn't need much fixing like I thought Rainbow Dash did after Season 2 (Which Season 3 did do).

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

I'm going with A.J. on this one. She just seems very simple and easygoing. She also seems sensible and knows when something isn't for her so she just leaves it alone.

R.D. is cocky and arrogant and I don't really like that in people. I can deal with it though because I have a friend who is like that and I do think Rainbow is a pretty cool character. But overall, its just something I don't like.

They're my two favorite characters, and Applejack was really gunning for that best pony position once upon a time. She's admirable, the best sister or friend you could ask for, and she's found genuine happiness after going through things and after living a lifestyle that would break plenty of people down. She's an immensely strong person, stronger than she has any right to be. Ain't even talking about those tree-kicking legs of hers either :P. Applejack's tremendously funny as well, and great at evoking emotion from me whether positive or negative. She's definitely the character I overlooked most when first watching the show, and she blew my mind during a more mindful rewatch.

That said though, rainbow pony. She's driven, gutsy and fiery, while possessing much less of that strength that I talked about earlier, and much less than she projects. And yet she's also much tougher than she gives herself credit for at times, and is entirely too afraid of failure and dependent on the praise of others to see that. Her growth has been the most dynamic for me out of any of the characters in the show, going from somebody obsessed with the trappings of heroism, the fame, the success, the glory and adoration, to somebody who understands what heroism really is. Being there for and lifting up the people around you to be the best they can, in turn. This is why her relationships with Fluttershy and Scootaloo have been such a treat these last few seasons, and it's a far cry from anything you'd have expected when first watching the show. Of course she's still got a ways to go, but that's an exhilarating prospect given how much I've enjoyed her growth so far :)

• Brohoof 3

I like Applejack more. She is a stable pony which is genuinely nicer and calmer. She is family oriented and not selfish. Rainbow Dash always ends up last on any ranking on the mane six ponies regardless of attribute but Applejack fares better. She may not be my favorite but she is a better pony overall in my opinion.

• Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash by far. Applejack is extremely unlikeable to me. She's boring, annoying, shallow, I don't care about her stupid family, her episodes are repetitive. She just sucks overall. (Sorry if that was harsh, but she's just awful.)

These threads never end well.

Anyway, they're both pretty high on my list, but I was always more interested in RD and her character arc

And I hate it when guys say Dash is just an arrogant jerk. That's not even remotely true. She can be arrogant and she can be a jerk, but she's also loyal, helpful, dependable, multi-layered, determined, funny, and just all around fun to watch.

To me, it's way better than Applejack just going "Apple's and family, apples and family, hyuck hyuck!". *Yawn*

• Brohoof 2

I don't personally care for either and they're both tied for my least favorite mane 6 member.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both and they're both adorable, but arrogance annoys me on some characters and I've always hated country-related things (especially accents). I've always been more of a Rarity and Twilight fan personally. 

To me, it's way better than Applejack just going "Apple's and family, apples and family, hyuck hyuck!". *Yawn*

While I agree with the first part of your post, you're ignoring a lot of Applejack's layers and development. You could reduce Dash to "Flying, awesome, cool, success :wub: !", and Rarity to "Fashion, social advancement, drama :proud: !" just as well. Those are what a lot of their episodes focus on, after all, but they don't address what any of those episodes meant. Applejack's episodes might involve her family and job a lot of the time, but they deal with interesting things like her need to not let anybody down, her struggling to accept people and actions different from herself and the ones she'd make, having to deal with harsh truths, and even more. And she's remained loyal, helpful, dependable, determined, and everything you said about RD above, all throughout. Often even more than best pony, herself :wat:.

Apple Family Reunion is a great episode for showing AJ's strengths and weaknesses. You see her drive, energy and silliness, and then you see her habit of being so focused on what she's trying to accomplish that she loses sight of everything else.

• Brohoof 6

I like them both but I would say AJ more.  This is because Dash is a jock & I wasn't that fond of them in High School (it was mutual) & I haven't grown any fonder in the decades since.  For folks who say she is conceited, a line from "Dizzy" Dean "It ain't bragging if you can really do it" & Dash can usually back her boasts.  I do remember the time she kicked a dragon in Dragonshy, though.

I grew up in the sticks & AJ is a hick & durn proud of it.  How country is she? They ever do a remake of the movie Deliverance, her whole family could get jobs as technical consultants.  IMO, the reason AJ isn't more popular is she has most of the tedious virtues & few interesting faults.  Rarity is very fond of her sister, but overall  I'd say AJ is the most family centered of the mane 6

IMO, AJ's song is "Thank God I'm a Country Girl".  For Dash, "Born to Run" (NOT the Springstein song, the other one)

This is because Dash is a jock & I wasn't that fond of them in High School (it was mutual) & I haven't grown any fonder in the decades since.

This is a very interesting statement. I'm a supporter of viewing these characters through our own personal filters. In some ways it guides us to our own Best Pony. Confirmation bias isn't always a bad thing. However, I can't look at Rainbow Dash as the stereotypical 'jock' character. At least not one who marginalizes others without physical talent or desire which is where I think you were coming from.

Why do I feel this way? Canon interpretation. Rainbow Dash agrees to mentor Scootaloo, who may or may not have a disability but regardless cannot fly outside of a few short hovers. RD is athletic and can be called a jock I suppose, but she sure doesn't devalue another pony based on their own limits. Believing in your own worth is not the same as believing that others have lesser value than you. 

Next time you want RD, try and keep that in mind. She may grow on you. 

• Brohoof 3

I like them both but I would say AJ more.  This is because Dash is a jock & I wasn't that fond of them in High School (it was mutual) & I haven't grown any fonder in the decades since. 

You know whenever I hear this "I don't like this character much because they remind me of this sort of person in real life" sort of thing it seems almost always to be directed toward ether Rarity or Rainbow Dash. Kinda curious.

Generally i just say, remind yourself these characters AREN'T those people and try to view them through a less personal lense. But I don't know, a lot of people find value in doing that where's I am so weird that I don't really find much importantce in strongly relateing to characters ether, at least not in judging which one I like the most.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

Rainbow Dash, she has a lot of self-esteem issues like me, but the difference is she tries to cover it up with a facade of overconfidence (see 'Sonic Rainboom' and 'The Mysterious Mare Do Well to see how her self-worth is completely dependent on how others see her-which is really sad), it just makes her the most sympathetic to me.

There is also the fact that she has been shown to genuinely care her friends in "Hurricane Fluttershy" when she gets frustrated and is about to tell Fluttershy to 'suck it up' before catching herself and going to a more gentle approach and in "Wonderbolts Academy" she was furious over the Wonderbolts support of the reckless behavior that almost killed her friends to the point where she was literally willing to give up her lifelong dream, rather than be part of a group like that.

In "Sleepless in Ponyville" and "Flight to the Finish" she also supported Scootaloo when she was going through difficult times. 

Applejack kind of bores me as it feels like she's too mature and developed for her character to really go anywhere compared to the rest of the girls, so I don't find her all that interesting.

• Brohoof 4

You know whenever I hear this "I don't like this character much because they remind me of this sort of person in real life" sort of thing it seems almost always to be directed toward ether Rarity or Rainbow Dash. Kinda curious.

I think if people would compare themselves with RD,she would be last sorted as 'best pony' , honestly

Edited by Cyraonubite
  • Brohoof 1

In all seriousness tho, I find RD's "best at everything ever" behaviour to be incredibly entertaining. Her reactions are always nice and just melt my heart from the pure kawaii. RD's episodes are about responsibility, knowing your and your friend's limits. AJ, on the other hand is just too "Oh look, I'm a good sister. Oh, look there is a nice happy family gettogether. Don't you get how important is family? Dont you? Please get it.". She has nice songs tho. They are those earworm songs that just stay in your thoughts the whole day:"Raise this barn, raise this barn 1,2,3,4....". They are soooo catchy.

Edited by NightFlash
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash, of course! I have many reasons for picking Rainbow Dash over Applejack.

• She has an awesome singing voice.
  • She's absolutely adorable.
  • She's immature, childish, and selfish at times.
  • She's great with kids. In the newest Friends Forever comic, Rainbow Dash does a great job as a teacher. Also, Rainbow Dash will always be there for Scootaloo.
  • She has the best element. (Loyalty)
  • She's a damn good flier! Her speed is impressive. 
  • She can defeat Starscream in a fight. 

img-3266952-1-593662__safe_solo_rainbow%

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

Like I said, AJ is the least popular of the mane 6 because she has all the tedious virtues & few interesting faults.  The others depend on her (2nd after T) & she has used her rodeo skills to save their butts I don't know how many times.  But, no glamour.  In Dragonshy she is the only 1 with the good sense not to go into the cave & bother Mr Dragon while he is trying to sleep.  This is typical AJ.  Good sense, but no pizzazz.