Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Applejack's Southern accent

RainbowMau

I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but has anyone ever wondered why is Applejack the only one in all the Apple family who speaks with a Southern accent?

I mean, her family is supposed to have the same origins and come from the same place, specially the closer ones like Applebloom and Big Macintosh, even the further ones speak with a more "neutral" accent, so aren't they supposed to talk Southern too?

First off, the four central members of the Apple family all talk Southern, though with different specific sounds (Apple Bloom sounds most like she's from the Deep South).

Braeburn and Goldie Delicious both speak Southern. Other than the Oranges, who live in an entirely different location, I can't think of anyone else in the Apple Family who got a big enough speaking role for anyone to hear their accent. I'd like if you'd give specific examples of Apple Family members speaking in different accents, other than the Oranges.

• Brohoof 5

Happy Gilda has a point. The Apple Family actually has a variety of Southern accents. Just because Applejack's is the one everyone recognizes doesn't mean they're all not Southern accents. I'm from the South and I have an "urban" country accent, if you will. I sound nothing like Applejack, yet every Northerner I talk to can tell I'm from the South from the words I use and the way I talk.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Ahhh so you were watching the Latin Spanish version and that made you think that Applejack was the only one with a Southern accent?

If I'm understanding this right that is.

I guess for someone like me those accents are hard to distinguish in English.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

I mean, her family is supposed to have the same origins and come from the same place, specially the closer ones like Applebloom and Big Macintosh, even the further ones speak with a more "neutral" accent, so aren't they supposed to talk Southern too?

Applebloom and Big Mac have the accents, they all do.

I don't know where you got the idea that AJ was the only one who had it.

I guess for someone like me those accents are hard to distinguish in English.

No I completely understand, man. I guess Applejack has the Southern accent that everyone recognizes even in other countries while her family members have other Southern accents that only Americans can really recognize because well... we live here.

Glad that's cleared up!

• Brohoof 1

No I completely understand, man. I guess Applejack has the Southern accent that everyone recognizes even in other countries while her family members have other Southern accents that only Americans can really recognize because well... we live here.

Glad that's cleared up!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNope, I used to watch the Latinamerican dub of MLP in my first two months of bronydom, and I can say that at least Granny Smith and Applebloom DON'T have a southern accent in that dub

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNope, I used to watch the Latinamerican dub of MLP in my first two months of bronydom, and I can say that at least Granny Smith and Applebloom DON'T have a southern accent in that dub

I wasn't talking about all dubs, I was just talking about the American dub. I haven't watched any of the other dubs at all so I can't say whether or not they all have Southern accents in them.

well, they kinda do, all of them actually. i live in the south and i hear variations of all those accents all the time. (note: accents are old people, little kids with hilarious accents, country girls, and country boys. all at your local hoedown.)

although no one can quite match big macs rolling baritone. *fans self*

In fact I watched the Apple Family reunion episode today and I can confirm that absolutely only Applejack has Southern accent in all the Apple family in the Latin American dub.

In fact I watched the Apple Family reunion episode today and I can confirm that absolutely only Applejack has Southern accent in all the Apple family in the Latin American dub.

It's official: Applejack is the only real country pony, all the rest of the Apple family are Yankees playing pretend.

(edited)

All of the Apples have southern accents, even Big Macintosh who doesn't talk very much. However, the Oranges and Babs Seed have New York accents.

Edited by Frosty Nerd

Yeah, in the English version, every single Apple has had a variation of a southern accent. Some have heavier inflections than others, but all of them have it.

(This is hilarious when you realize the actors who portray them are all Canadian.)

Interesting that the accents are apparently not followed in all the dubs. That's a detail I would have thought the dubbing actors would at least attempt to match.

Out of curiosity, what's Rarity's accent in the Latin dub? Did they try to match the mid-Atlantic accent the American English version has, or did they do something else?

Hrm.. another question that occurs to me, the Region 2 DVDs (England and the like), did they dub those into English English? ;)

(edited)

Out of curiosity, what's Rarity's accent in the Latin dub? Did they try to match the mid-Atlantic accent the American English version has, or did they do something else?

Not sure how to describe it, it's how a delicate girl in latin dub stereotypically use to talk (since it's a neutral accent similar to Mexican), but I guess it has nothing to do with a region in this case, though it's practically as neutral as the rest of the characters' (except Applejack of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOqDqLeYKoM

Edited by RainbowMau

Not sure how to describe it, it's how a delicate girl in latin dub stereotypically use to talk (since it's a neutral accent similar to Mexican), but I guess it has nothing to do with a region in this case, though it's practically as neutral as the rest of the characters' (except Applejack of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOqDqLeYKoM

Fascinating. In case you don't know, in the original Rarity has an accent called 'Mid-Atlantic' which in real life has come to represent upper-class Americans. Basically it's what happens when Americans take on some of the 'Received Pronunciation' accent from England, due to their attending ivy-league universities and the like. So there's a vague 'Britishness' about it, but not enough to think the speaker actually came from England. There may simply not be a Latin analogue for that kind of thing.

• Brohoof 2

I thought it happened in the English version too, but looks like it only happens in the Latin Spanish one >_>

Ahh, yes..."nacos". x)

I loved how they did that.

(edited)

Fascinating. In case you don't know, in the original Rarity has an accent called 'Mid-Atlantic' which in real life has come to represent upper-class Americans. Basically it's what happens when Americans take on some of the 'Received Pronunciation' accent from England, due to their attending ivy-league universities and the like. So there's a vague 'Britishness' about it, but not enough to think the speaker actually came from England. There may simply not be a Latin analogue for that kind of thing.

Interesting, though if you pay attention to Latin Rarity's voice and compare it with the rest you'll notice a more delicate-girl touch. In neutral Spanish there's another accent which is called "fresa" (we call it "pipi" here) which is more similar to what you describe, but I guess dubbers considered it was too much for Rarity.

Ahh, yes..."nacos". x)

Actually it's more like Northern-Mexican, naco accent is more similar to Mexico City accent but more "singed" (not sure how to describe it)

Edited by RainbowMau

Interesting, though if you pay attention to Latin Rarity's voice and compare it with the rest you'll notice a more delicate-girl touch. In neutral Spanish there's another accent which is called "fresa" (we call it "pipi" here) which is more similar to what you describe, but I guess dubbers considered it was too much for Rarity.

Actually it's more like Northern-Mexican, naco accent is more similar to Mexico City accent but more "singed" (not sure how to describe it)

A fresa Rarity would be legendary...
  • Brohoof 1