Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Hasbro drop MLP out of MLP:FiM?

Rarity Paige Belle

Nah, or else Hasbro would be spending to much money on rebranding and remarketing, and dealing with a lot of confusion from confused parents.

So no.

• Brohoof 6

I think they could and be just fine, but I doubt they would. There's no real reason for them to disassociate their most popular show with their most popular brand. Maybe a spinoff where they follow deer or griffins or something? That'd be kind of neat.

• Brohoof 1

They look enough like ponies for a cartoon show. Personally, I think the more accurate looking ones from previous gens were a bit creepy.

• Brohoof 13

I think they look like ponies just fine.  Some of the previous generations have had their "ponies" look more like hippo/gerbil hybrids than ponies.

they did look a lot like hippo/gerbil crossbreeds

• Brohoof 1

They look enough like ponies for a cartoon show. Personally, I think the more accurate looking ones from previous gens were a bit creepy.

This is why I never really took any interest in the previous generations. Now they're so adowable  :wub:

Well I'm kinda glad the FiM ponies don't look like the g1 nightmares that would break into your house at night and eat your children.

And I don't see why they would drop the MLP. They are already reusing names, characters, and villains from the original series, plus having the "my little pony" increases brand recognition and that increases profit.

• Brohoof 1

Because let's be honest, the G4 ponies look nothing like ponies!

That's a reason?  The Simpsons look nothing like the average American family they are supposed to portray.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, ponies still have four legs, a snout, and something of a mane.  They're ponies enough, especially for a cartoon style.

• Brohoof 7

That's a reason?  The Simpsons look nothing like the average American family they are supposed to portray.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, ponies still have four legs, a snout, and something of a mane.  They're ponies enough, especially for a cartoon style.

If I watch a program with ponies, then yes, I want them to look like ponies! That's one of the reasons why I prefer G1 over G4!

This is why I never really took any interest in the previous generations. Now they're so adowable  :wub:

Adorable? Er, no! G1 ponies were adorable!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Because let's be honest, the G4 ponies look nothing like ponies!

As much as I wish they would, they have no real reason to, even though the ponies in FiM look like... Mutant Camels.

You're completely wrong. FIM's ponies are more simplified and more cartoony compared to the others, but they're definitely ponies. They have the muzzle, hooves, and overall shape that makes them instinctively recognized as that animal.

So, combined with the fact that "My Little Pony" (as far as the logo is concerned) is immediately recognizable, dropping the "MLP" would really hurt the brand.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

I like it the way it is now, after all for a lot of us it would be weird abbreviating it FiM instead of MLP, MLP just has a much better ring to it IMO. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I think they could and be just fine, but I doubt they would. There's no real reason for them to disassociate their most popular show with their most popular brand. Maybe a spinoff where they follow deer or griffins or something? That'd be kind of neat.

deers, please, yes! I'd like to see them get more focus in episodes, though, first, to see how the fans handle them, before a full blown spinoff is made

No, there is no reason to G4 is not only the most successful generation since G1 but has even surpassed it in success by bringing in a new audience in addition to keeping the old one and is still running strong. Sure the G4 ponies are not super realistic but they are still obviously ponies, nobody expects cartoon characters to look super realistic did anyone complain because Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny didn't look enough like a duck or a rabbit? No of course not so I don't see why that should be a reason for dropping G4.

• Brohoof 2

I think they look like ponies just fine.  Some of the previous generations have had their "ponies" look more like hippo/gerbil hybrids than ponies.

Lol @ hippo/gerbil hybrids. xD  I remember I had a really old school MLP figure (or maybe it was even a knock-off - honestly not sure) that looked like the unholy union between a horse and a pig.  Her name...  Was Tabatha.  I just made that last part up.

But....they're ponies.  :wacko: 
I don't think it would make a difference to the show completely, but considering it's part of the My Little Pony franchise, I find it completely necessary!

As others have said, dropping the brand would be a huge mistake.

Like it or not, when brands are continuous over time, there are often changes in art design. This happens even if it's the same character over a period of time. It would be an even worse mistake to never change. I feel that this show is successful to its traditional fanbase as well as being able to attract other fans; it makes it truly unique so that there is no need to make it seem as though the show is not worthy of being tied to My Little Pony.

No, I don't think so. TBH the previous gens of MLP toys kinda creep me out. XD I still own some of my mom's old toys (well my sis too), but I honestly like the new ones MUCH more. They are so cute and... <3

The cost to rebrand at this stage would lead to a nightmare scenario for Hasbro. My Little Pony is more recognizable and easier to market that just FIM. Brand confusion is hard to undo.

Just had a thought. I know that RPB might be able to answer this. Did G1 have the characters ponify words and intertwine equine habits and behaviors with the world? G4 does this well, and even if they don't look like Ponies as much to you, that should count for something.

I say perfect as is. I like the MLP being in FIM.  "My Little Pony" has such a nice and endearing ring to it.  I definitely agree that the G4 ponies look perfectly pony enough for a cartoon show.  I agree with the points made on this thread that cartoon characters, such as the Simpsons and Looney Toons, don't need to look realistic in order to be convincing and perfect for the show.  I think there is an inherent genius in the way the G4 ponies are done.  Making them more streamlined and simplistic, with bigger, rounder eyes, heads that are larger in proportion to their bodies, and more rounded body shapes allows them to be more expressive, and, well, human.  And that's what you want, really.  You want them to be able to convey more dynamic, human personalities.  But, imo, there is no mistaking that they are still ponies.

Let's look at a couple of little case studies for a moment.

When we look at G1 and G4 side by side...

tumblr_lh00weF7NC1qa20b4o1_500.jpg

We see that the evolution is actually very similar to that of Garfield:

before-after-garfield-the-cat-by-cocoayo

Rounder, simpler features, larger head in proportion to the body, larger eyes.  These characteristics, while not as zoologically correct, have the advantage of making characters more expressive, and more relatable.

Let's look at the stark opposite side of the spectrum for MLP.

full.jpg

You want realistic looking ponies?  You got it.  Terrible, isn't it?  I mean, really cool pic, but it wouldn't work at all for the show.  They would lack all expression and human emotion that we love to see in them.

Realistic ponies like this could work, if done like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF4I2Y9zFeY

But that's not what you want for FIM.  Not at all.  Could be an interesting idea, though, as some kind of spin-off.

Bottom line is...

Retro-is-magic-my-little-pony-friendship

Is this what you really want?  IS IT?!

...I didn't think so.

• Brohoof 2

The cost to rebrand at this stage would lead to a nightmare scenario for Hasbro. My Little Pony is more recognizable and easier to market that just FIM. Brand confusion is hard to undo.

Just had a thought. I know that RPB might be able to answer this. Did G1 have the characters ponify words and intertwine equine habits and behaviors with the world? G4 does this well, and even if they don't look like Ponies as much to you, that should count for something.

No, G1 doesn't ponify words and phrases. However, not only do G1 ponies look more like ponies, they act like them too. There's even hints that G1 ponies age like 'normal' horses too!