Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where are the other alicorns? (long read!)

ManaMinori

In hearts and hooves day, in the book that Twilight loans to the CMC, there's a clear picture of an alicorn princess falling in love with some prince pony; who intended for the potion he gave her to be a love potion, but had it turn out to a love poison, instead. Apple Bloom vaguely mentions, as she reads from said book, there's mention of a dragon being involved, kingdoms falling, and chaos reigning. (which clearly points to Discord being the cause of the potion turning out awry) And in the end, the prince and princess were so lost in each others eyes that they couldn't perform their royal duties, which obviously enabled Discord to take over and plunge the world into chaos.

Now, the alicorn princess shown in the CMC's borrowed book, I don't think would be Celestia (or Luna), but one that might've predated them both. Not only is Celestia or Luna's romantic life ever touched on in the series, but it's also heavily implied in this episode, as Apple Bloom is reading from the book, that Discord would've had to have created diversions for what royal dignitaries there might've been, before he could take over, himself, so that nopony could stop him. Meaning that before Celestia and Luna's ascension, some other Alicorn might've had to be in power at the time, in some kingdom, somewhere. And taking from the very vague reviews of the Journal of the Two Sisters I've been seeing, there had, in fact, been other alicorns around that helped bring up Luna and Celestia in their youth. And were the ones who taught Luna and Celestia the “Royal Canterlot voice”, which means that these tribes of alicorns must've founded and settled in Canterlot before the unicorn species did, as that's where Luna and Celestia grew up. (also, I find it interesting to note that Canterlot, possibly being the first ever founded city in Equestria, to be atop a mountain, very much like Mt. Olympus, which was where the gods resided)

It's also made clear that the alicorn species -at least, Luna and Celestia, and even Sombra- have very long life spans, and are capable of living well over a thousand years (though, the MLP writers have confirmed that Twilight, now as an alicorn herself, won't be outliving her friends....huh? Maybe it's only ascended alicorns that don't have long life spans, as natural born alicorns do?) But in spite of their long lifespans, as seen with Celestia, Alicorns are not immortal or infallible. I come to this conclusion because in both The crystal Empire and Twilight's Kingdom, Celestia is shown to have have somewhat of a weak defense; and fells easily after a single hit from Chrysalis (who is only fueled after feeding off the love from only 2 ponies, and her sister, Luna, who might've been made more powerful in her Nightmare Moon form that was amped up her already inherit alicorn powers)

So who's to say that the alicorns that raised Celestia and Luna weren't a band consisting of their immediate and distant family and friends, and didn't have offspring of their own? And if they did, then where might they be, now? Why is it that Luna and celestia are the only two natural born alicorns we've seen in the show?

My Theory is that dark magic might've played a part in most alicorn's demise. In “Magic Duel” and “Princess Twilight Sparkle pt 1”, we're given a glimpse of two ancient Alicorn artifacts; the first being the Alicorn Amulet, which seems to use the natural talent of a unicorn and heighten it to that of an alicorn using the power of dark magic, which corrupts the user. There's also Zecora's potion that was offered to Twilight, that she claims to only respond to Alicorn magic; but judging from the symbols on the bottle, doesn't look as if it was intended for any good purpose; yet Twilight uses dark magic to transform the potion and be given glimpses into the past.

The Alicorn Amulet can be seen as “relic magic”, a piece of jewelry enchanted and infused with magic to give whoever possesses it a boost to their own magical powers. (much like the Elements of Harmony) The relics, however, would have had to been made by someone who either knows natural magic (as displayed in unicorns and alicorns), or be someone like Zecora, who specializes in “conjuring magic”; a field that uses incantations, rituals, and potions to tap into Equestria's spiritual world; as seen with the alicorn potion.

Throughout the series, we've seen unicorns and alicorns alike performing spells with “natural magic”, and it coming easily for them. They just do it; without incantations, or the like, and when they do do it; the spell they perform- unless not practiced enough, usually results in success. Though there is a catch- natural magic, I believe, originates from raw emotion. Natural magic for unicorns and alicorns can be either “Light”(powered by feelings of love, friendship, joy, and happiness) “neutral” (the easiest to cast; powered by concentration, and harnessed by calm and tranquil state of the user), or “dark magic” (powered by anger, hatred, jealousy, fear, sorrow, ect)

The reason the Alicorn Amulet bestowed dark magic upon Trixie, rather than the natural Alicorn magic, was most likely due to her emotions; the bitterness and contempt she felt for Twilight upstaging her, and wanting payback. The reason Twilight used dark magic to change Zecora's potion from purple into white, rather than her natural neutral magic, was likely due to her fear of the increasing out of control and unexplainable situation of the plunder seeds taking over everywhere; along with her own inability to deal with the situation by herself, or with the help of her friends. (same with the “want it, need it” spell)

The alicorns that might've been in Canterlot (or other areas) before Celestia and Luna's ascension likely could've taken themselves out due to the use of said dark magic, and through Discord's own trickery as well. It was already confirmed to be a time of constant segregation between the lesser 3 pony tribes (as seen in hearth's warming Eve), and Discord's reign of chaos afterward could've only effected more than just the 3 tribes, but also the alicorns, as confirmed in heart and Hooves Day; where he was able to corrupt an alicorn princess with the love poison. (and in Princess Twilight Sparkle, where his sprouting plunder seeds are shown to prevent users of natural magic from using it against him; who's to say the seeds, themselves, while dormant, didn't have some sort of effect on the natural magic users, while Discord was in power, before the EoH could be used against him?)

My conclusion is that during an era where fear, hate, distrust, ect, would've had hold on not only the pegasus/ earth/ and unicorn ponies, but also the alicorns as well, the races that had access to the strongest natural magic (that being the alicorns), would've tried to use it to their advantage, but wound up having their emotions control them and the dark magic destroying most of them- and the ones that weren't, sending the royal sisters off on their quest to restore balance with the Elements of Harmony, before their entire race fell.

open for discussion...if anyone wants to discuss it....

• Brohoof 4

well heres my question 
there may be a possiblity but 
if there was chaos before 
how did the two sisters survived?
especially without there parents to guide and protect them from other alicorns?

or monsters

The truth was too embarrassing to admit. It was actually Celestia AND Luna that accidentally partook of the potion. Things were crazy for a while until it wore off several hundred years later. They defeated Discord, but there was a lot of resentment later. Things were said, and fighting escalated until Celestia had to banish her sister to the moon. 

If someone writes this fanfic, I WILL READ IT!

• Brohoof 1

Sombra is not an alicorn as far as we know.  The reason he's lived as long as he did is because he was sealed away.

It's true Somba isn't an alicorn, but he seemed to be somewhat gifted when it comes to magic and made up many dark spells and tricks. Wouldn't it make more sense he used some of these to prolong his life somehow?

1. Discord is not a dragon.
  2. Sombra is not an alicorn as far as we know.  The reason he's lived as long as he did is because he was sealed away.

he's a dragon combined with other things. And regarding the book that the CMC reads from, regarding the dragon, kingdoms falling, and chaos reigning- who else could it be other than Discord? You need to bear in mind that the days with these events happened were all really long ago in the past, long before anypony even knew what a draconequis was. The ponies of the olden days would've called Discord a Dragon and had that name for him in their historic literature, because that's kind of what he looks like the most, in all honesty.

only flaw with your theory is that Alicorn's are immortal they cant be there own race and there never was a race of alicorn's the only way to become one is to be blessed by Princess Celestia oh and only female Ponies can be Alicorns sorry if I ruined your theory

only flaw with your theory is that Alicorn's are immortal they cant be there own race and there never was a race of alicorn's the only way to become one is to be blessed by Princess Celestia oh and only female Ponies can be Alicorns sorry if I ruined your theory

having a long lifespan than other races doesn't make them immortal. Never in the tv series, comic, or otherwise has it been confirmed that alicorns are immortal, and they do, in fact, have their own race, as was confirmed in the journal written by Amy Keating Rogers. , because there were more alicorns beside Luna and Celestia, who raised them. The sisters might have the ability to ascend other races to alicorn status, but by no means are they not their own race.

having a long lifespan than other races doesn't make them immortal. Never in the tv series, comic, or otherwise has it been confirmed that alicorns are immortal, and they do, in fact, have their own race, as was confirmed in the journal written by Amy Keating Rogers. , because there were more alicorns beside Luna and Celestia, who raised them. The sisters might have the ability to ascend other races to alicorn status, but by no means are they not their own race.

yet the show never said they were mortal as well but I will let you believe what you think is right I will believe what I think is right Хотя я знаю, что я прав  :squee:

he's a dragon combined with other things.

actually the show says he is a pony combined with other things not a dragon

yet the show never said they were mortal as well but I will let you believe what you think is right I will believe what I think is right Хотя я знаю, что я прав  :squee:

actually the show says he is a pony combined with other things not a dragon

Dracon is the first part of his species name- which is Greek for "dragon", which-being the first part of his race name, is what he is and should be, first and foremost. Yeah, he's also part horse, but the "equis"  which means equine/ as in horse- comes secondary. . Though of course show canon, given that it's a show about ponies- will say he's a horse first

not that it matters, because as we both agreed, he's both, and then some. But, just saying.

His appearance still looks more dragon than horse, which is what the olden ponies depicted him as, in their history books- which is also show canon

The truth was too embarrassing to admit. It was actually Celestia AND Luna that accidentally partook of the potion. Things were crazy for a while until it wore off several hundred years later. They defeated Discord, but there was a lot of resentment later. Things were said, and fighting escalated until Celestia had to banish her sister to the moon. 

If someone writes this fanfic, I WILL READ IT!

You know, this actually makes sense :lol: What we know is: There were alicorns in Canterlot before the 3 tribes settled in Equestria. At the time of the settling, Celestia and Luna were the rulers (on the flag in Hearth's Warming Eve). Discord made life miserable for "Earth ponies, pegasi, and unicorns alike". Therefore, Discord happened after the settling, so Celestia and Luna were the rulers at the time, so it must have been them staring into eachother's eyes rather than performing their royal duties :P

Alternatively, Discord may have been causing trouble for the 3 tribes before they migrated to Equestria, in which case Celestia and Luna may not have been rulers yet. But he must have also been causing trouble for the alicorns since he planted the plunder seeds near Celestia and Luna's old castle. Can anyone who's read the journal book confirm whether that castle was built before or after the migration of the 3 tribes? Perhaps Discord really was responsible for the kingdom of the alicorns falling, and Celestia and Luna were the only two left by the time the 3 tribes arrived.

• Brohoof 1

he's a dragon combined with other things. And regarding the book that the CMC reads from, regarding the dragon, kingdoms falling, and chaos reigning- who else could it be other than Discord? You need to bear in mind that the days with these events happened were all really long ago in the past, long before anypony even knew what a draconequis was. The ponies of the olden days would've called Discord a Dragon and had that name for him in their historic literature, because that's kind of what he looks like the most, in all honesty.

The dragon at the end of The Journal of the Two Sisters wouldn't have a problem knocking a kingdom or two down out of spite.  Discord isn't the only one who can make a mess of things.  Trixie did the same thing on a smaller scale.

Discord may have a serpent tail, but he is not a serpent.  He may have a goat horn, but he is not a goat.  He may have a lion paw, but he is not a lion.  He is no more a dragon than a crocodile is a dinosaur.

FALSE!

The Journal of the Two Sisters stated that that their growth rate is different than that of other ponies, thus are mortal.  Only females can be alicorns?  Sure, keep telling yourself that.  Only way is to be blessed by Celestia?  That didn't happen to Cadence.  Celestia was unaware of her existence until after she became an alicorn.

FALSE!

The Journal of the Two Sisters stated that that their growth rate is different than that of other ponies, thus are mortal.  Only females can be alicorns?  Sure, keep telling yourself that.  Only way is to be blessed by Celestia?  That didn't happen to Cadence.  Celestia was unaware of her existence until after she became an alicorn.

no mate you also don't no for sure If Cadence was blessed or not the show never specified how she became a Princess and sure mate like I said you can believe what you think is right and I will believe what I think is right Хотя я знаю, что я прав  :squee:

Dracon is the first part of his species name- which is Greek for "dragon", which-being the first part of his race name, is what he is and should be, first and foremost. Yeah, he's also part horse, but the "equis"  which means equine/ as in horse- comes secondary. . Though of course show canon, given that it's a show about ponies- will say he's a horse first

not that it matters, because as we both agreed, he's both, and then some. But, just saying.

His appearance still looks more dragon than horse, which is what the olden ponies depicted him as, in their history books- which is also show canon

to be honest I see where your coming from I dont see any pony shape in him what so ever and I can believe he is a dragon but if the show says he is a pony mixed with other stuff I will believe that 

no mate you also don't no for sure If Cadence was blessed or not the show never specified how she became a Princess and sure mate like I said you can believe what you think is right and I will believe what I think is right ???? ? ????, ??? ? ????  :squee:

Actually, I do know, thanks to this:

Twilight_Sparkle_and_the_Crystal_Heart_S

It confirms that Celestia wasn't aware of Cadance's existance until after she redeemed Prisma.

• 4 weeks later...

Alicorns are just another race of creatures that lived in Equestria. Except they mostly went extinct like the dinosaurs. They are and will always be just another race of creatures in Equestria. They're not special or anything. They're not immortal. They also seem to be mysterious.

right Хотя я знаю, что я прав  :squee:

What does this mean?

• Brohoof 1

Alicorns are just another race of creatures that lived in Equestria. Except they mostly went extinct like the dinosaurs. They are and will always be just another race of creatures in Equestria. They're not special or anything. They're not immortal. They also seem to be mysterious.

What does this mean?

I definitely don't think they're immortal. They just age slower than normal ponies.

extinct? You don't consider the background alicorns to be canon?

If not, then maybe your thoughts on what made most of them go extinct?

I definitely don't think they're immortal. They just age slower than normal ponies.

extinct? You don't consider the background alicorns to be canon?

If not, then maybe your thoughts on what made most of them go extinct?

Oh. Well, the background ones didn't go exinct. The rest of them died off because of meteor? I don't have a clue.