Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there any albums you find yourself constantly going back to?

Clockwork Chaos

Hey there everypony :D

So i know there are those songs you'll never delete from your ipod/mp3 player and keep re-listening to, but does anyone here do that with full albums?

I find that every third album i listen to will be 'Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV: Volume One' by Coheed and Cambria, it's not even my favourite of their albums, but i find it so easy just to hit play on track one and just leave it to run through 15 tracks of pure, gorgeous, prog gooeyness :3

there are other albums i find myself listening through on the off chance, but never as often as Coheed.

anyone here do the same sort of thing?

• Brohoof 3

I have quite a few albums I listen to a lot, usually when I'm drawing so I don't have to keep pressing replay or change song.

I love Muse's Resistance album, that's a popular one with me, and also Rammstein's Reise Reise, which I once listened to twice in a row. :lol:

I frequently listen to the captivating The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis. I can't get enough of it. Gorgeous lyrics and instrumentation throughout, all in service of a deeply absurd tale of a man finding himself underneath New York city. I think. It's probably not that simple. I just know that I find it all too easy to get lost in it. 

That said, it's 90 minutes long so listening to it in one go is often not feasible. Especially since I repeat songs so often.

• Brohoof 1

I do this with a few bands, actually.  Ironically even though I'm a country boy, I listen to mostly rock music.

My favorite bands (in no specific order) are Adema, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Korn, and Red.  I may have missed some, but whatever.  Out of all of these, Linkin Park has been my longest standing (been listening to them since 7th grade, and this fall I will be a sophomore in college); Nirvana, Korn, and STP I've listened to since sometime early in high school; Red I've listened to since either junior or senior year of high school; and a new friend in college introduced me to Adema, so I've been listening to them for only a year now, though I like them so much they take my 2nd favorite place (behind my #1 favorite, Linkin Park, of course).  

Albums from each that I listen to, plus some relevant history:

Linkin Park: I love almost all of their music, but I like their older music more than their newer music.  Before they were called Linkin Park, they actually went through 2 other names.  In 1996, the band was first called "Xero" - in 1997 under this name they put out a 4 track demo [cassette tape].

(The spoilers are just links to images of LP's first two 'albums')

Then, in 1999, under their new name "Hybrid Theory" they released a six track EP.

Finally in 2000 they changed their name to Linkin Park, and released their first true studio album "Hybrid Theory" that year.  To keep the rest short and simple, the 3 'albums' I've already mentioned, plus Reanimation, Meteora, and Minutes to Midnight, are the albums I listen to by LP.

As for the rest of my mentioned favorite bands:

Adema: 1. Adema (self titled, 2001); 2. Insomniacs Dream (2002); 3. Unstable (2003); 4. Planets (2005); 5. Kill the Headlights (2007).
My favorite album from these 5 is the first one (the self titled one).  I listen to it regularly. 

Nirvana: 1. Bleach (1989); 2. Nevermind (1991); 3. In Utero (1993).

STP: 1. Core (1992); Purple (1994).

Red: I've only listened to Release the Panic (2013) as a full album, but I plan to listen to their prior 3 albums in full sometime in the future: End of Silence (2006); Innocence and Instinct (2009); and Until We Have Faces (2011).

Korn: It's been a while since I've listened to a full album from Korn.  Adema kind of took their slot in my music listening.  But, the albums I listened to were their first 5: Korn (1994); Life is Peachy (1996); Follow the Leader (1998); Issues (1999); and Untouchables (2002) - as well as their kind of recent album with Skrillex: Path of Totality (2011).

• Brohoof 1

Hemispheres from Rush! It's kind of a short album, but one song is 20 minutes and another is 11.

img-2786880-1-Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

yep, Cygnus X-1 book 2 is a hell of a track, their last prog epic as i recall :P though i've always been more of a 2112 kinda guy i suppose :3

yep, Cygnus X-1 book 2 is a hell of a track, their last prog epic as i recall :P though i've always been more of a 2112 kinda guy i suppose :3

2112 is probably my favorite Rush album but La Villa is pretty crazy.

(edited)

Then, in 1999, under their new name "Hybrid Theory" they released a six track EP.

Love that EP. It has one of my favorite LP songs ever on it (Part of Me). Hybrid Theory and Meteora are near perfection too. Minutes to Midnight is amazing too...I pretty much like everything ever released by them

Korn: as well as their kind of recent album with Skrillex: Path of Totality (2011).

Finally someone who agrees with me. I love that album. If you haven't heard it yet, I highly recommend their newest effort, The Paradigm Shift. It's their best work since Issues IMO

Edited by Rivendare
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Love that EP. It has one of my favorite LP songs ever on it (Part of Me). Hybrid Theory and Meteora are near perfection too. Minutes to Midnight is amazing too...I pretty much like everything ever released by them

Oh my gosh, "Part of Me" is one of my favorites, too!  But, I guess I tend to have alot of favorites from Linkin Park.  As for "anything ever released by them"... Well, it's not that I don't like their new stuff at all, it's just that I like their old stuff much more.  By the way, have you heard the songs that were from the 4 track tape "Xero" from 1997?  I like them, but they definitely have a different sound altogether than even the Hybird Theory EP.

Finally someone who agrees with me. I love that album. If you haven't heard it yet, I highly recommend their newest effort, The Paradigm Shift. It's their best work since Issues IMO

I think that people are too "one way or the other" about Skrillex, and older Korn fans may have been put off by the notion of Skrillex doing anything with Korn.  I actually had no problem with Skrillex's own music, so I was all for listening to Path of Totality.  As for the Paradigm Shift  I haven't heard it yet, so I think I'm gonna head on over to YouTube and listen to it. 

Hmmm... (just listened to the first 3 songs from half of the album on YouTube, and am gonna listen to the full thing) - It's too early yet for me to say too much, however, so far, I am liking what I'm hearing... 

I love it.  Lmao!  It really is some of their best work.

Edited by Ford Country Boy
  • Brohoof 1

By the way, have you heard the songs that were from the 4 track tape "Xero" from 1997?  I like them, but they definitely have a different sound altogether than even the Hybird Theory EP.

I don't think I've ever heard it before. I just listened to it now, and I really like it  :)

Has a nice raw, visceral sound to each track. Very different sounding like you said. Even with their demos they were being creative

• Brohoof 1

I don't think I've ever heard it before. I just listened to it now, and I really like it  :)

Has a nice raw, visceral sound to each track. Very different sounding like you said. Even with their demos they were being creative

I'm glad you like it.  I always love hearing bands' early/first songs ever, and comparing the sound to when they make their first studio album.  That raw sound from the 4 track Xero tape is really cool.  

• Brohoof 1

There are a few full albums that have a permanent place on my phone ... from first track to last.

mcis.jpg

Sublime_Self-Titled.jpg

11beatles20greatesthits.jpg

I usually prefer single songs and shuffle them up but there are a few whole albums I can sit and listen to:

Rumours by Fleetwood Mac

Boston by Boston

The Who Sell Out by The Who

Who's Next by The Who

Any Beatles album Rubber Soul and later