Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is this show going to be one giant advertisement?

Shanktastic

With the newest addition to the show, the rainbow powers. I have started to question the fact that will MLP go to honestly sh*t? Hasbro has expanded the series just a little bit to much for all they want is m money, but hey its my opinion.

It's always been there to sell toys. Season 1 and 2 every building was a playset. Golden Oaks Library, Canterlot Castle, etc. As it progresses any toy based show does this. It's actually far more subtle than how cartoons did it in the 80s. It's up to talented writers to introduce toy concepts in creative ways so we watch a REALLY GOOD toy commercial. Which FiM is.

• Brohoof 7

The show's primary goal has always been one 22 minute long tv commercial per episode. It's just the people behind the show that wish to make it awesome (DHX), the fans and their input that help spread the show's popularity, and Hasbro generally being cool with both in general and not being so obnoxious with the show's primary intent that help to make Friendship is Magic a truly awesome and memorable show in this day and age.

• Brohoof 1

The show's primary goal has always been one 22 minute long tv commercial per episode. It's just the people behind the show that wish to make it awesome (DHX), the fans and their input that help spread the show's popularity, and Hasbro generally being cool with both in general and not being so obnoxious with the show's primary intent that help to make Friendship is Magic a truly awesome and memorable show in this day and age.

Ultimately story is key. If they can tell a story that's interesting they've earned their toy shill. People also keep calling the rainbow power a "Deus Ex Machina". It was a little contrived in convenient but it's not like they didn't build it up a season. People keep using that term without knowing what it really means.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 3

Heel. Ultimately story is key. If they can tell a story that's interesting they've earned their toy shill. People also keep calling the rainbow power a "Deus Ex Machina". It was a little contrived in convenient but it's not like they didn't build it up a season. People keep using that term without knowing what it really means.

True, I'm just happy all of my stated elements for the show has made everyone involved happy. As for the Rainbow Power, I've always felt Season 4's Macguffin was a better term for it anyway as it was build up in Season 4.

As others have already said, the show has always been a glorified toy ad, it's just a matter of putting effort into it

MLP has ALWAYS been a toy commercial.

G.I.Joe is a toy commercial

Transformers is a toy commercial

He-Man was a toy commercial 

Pretty much 90% of the cartoons that came from the 80s and anything derived from that sort of thing(Brats and Monster High being good examples of the later) is a glorified toy commercial. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 5

Ultimately story is key. If they can tell a story that's interesting they've earned their toy shill. People also keep calling the rainbow power a "Deus Ex Machina". It was a little contrived in convenient but it's not like they didn't build it up a season. People keep using that term without knowing what it really means.

You sir have earned my undying gratitude for saying that. B)

The point of HUB is to be a way for Hasbro to advertise their products. The art comes from the Studio and creators. I think that they are doing a bang up job. Look at this way ... even the Beatles needed a new pool. Kudos to whoever gets that reference and why it's applicable.

Edited by Jeric
  • Brohoof 3

The point of the show is to sell toys which is fine so long as it maintains its quality. The show overall is pretty good it has its flaws but even the best shows do, season 4 though was a whole lot of meh which is not an encouraging sign but there were also a few really good episodes so I guess we will have to see how season 5 pans out.

I think it depends on how tightly Hasbro begins to leash MLP. Currently, they're giving an exorbitant amount of freedom to the creators, but with the last two seasons it seems to me that they're putting more pressure in it being a "toy commercial". ^^;

Of course it is an advertisement to sell toys. Its a well done, engaging, entertaining, and down right wonderful advertisment. It works too, and as long as they keep the story and characters engaging they will rake in the bits.

The show's been an advertisement since the beginning. That's the point of a merchandise driven show, to sell merchandise from the franchise. Everything, from Princess Cadence to Rainbow Power is there to sell toys.

The show has been a commercial from the get go. They brought it back to sell toys, and by and large it exists to sell crappy cheapo plastic toys and dolls to little girls.

So while they may do a pretty decent job in writing in these new toy products (like rainbow power and Princess Luvbutt) it is still just a giant commercial.

The show has been one big advertisement since the first episode. The only difference is that, at least according to the producers, Hasbro has been smart enough to give them considerable leeway to create a good show with good stories so that it's not a horribly blatant commercial. In fact, I think the only thing I can honestly say was an obvious set-up for the toyline was the Rainbow Power story arc of Season 4, and even that was done pretty darn well, all things considered.

Hmm I kinda thought the rainbow powers were a one time thing

I believe that is a strong possibility, and if not they will likely only be used or referenced in a finale. Even the EoH didn't come into play all that much as a weapon. 

• Brohoof 1

The super-mode they use to defeat Tirek. 

Thank you.

I don't really think it will have too much effect on the show, but I sadly do see this coming back more than most of us would like. Hasbro needs new toys, and the powers add a new design. All about the money in the end, but I don't think the show will be destroyed. Twilight became an Alicorn and the fandom didn't fall apart (Though a lot of them yelled at their TV's), so I think we'll be fine with it. The show has resisted becoming purely a source of money so far, and I don't think it's going to give way any time soon.

• Brohoof 1

I believe that is a strong possibility, and if not they will likely only be used or referenced in a finale. Even the EoH didn't come into play all that much as a weapon.

Rather than using it as a super weapon I think each individual pony should channel it once to fix the issue in the area they were sent to fix. The animatic showed that they were gonna go on missions. So after getting to the root of the problem they normally do they go into their rainbow form to give a big final speech that sets everything right. Just a cool effect where every pony proves themselves in their finest hour. This would give the powers a long term use but keep them from become a superpower fix-everything. Embody your element... And it will come. Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1