Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Gen 3.5 suck?

Stone Cold Applejack

I've never seen Gen 3.5 of MLP. Can anyone tell me why it sucks.

Newborn cuties which was ugly as sin

and probably some other stuff

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe because plots are very poor and conflicts are no more serious than trying to fit 7 ponies in a 5-seat ferris wheel, or Pinkie Pie worrying for not doing a diasasterous party and everything gets solved with an "It's OK!" and some cups of tea.

BTW this applies to G3 too.

Edited by RainbowMau

No thought, no effort. Tons of padding and dead air. It existed for Hasbro to have something pony related to keep the franchise on life support till they could find a way to revive it. I don't even think the people who made this had any faith in their products. They threw it together out if obligation and didn't treat it like a project.

• Brohoof 1

It doesn't suck, it was just made solely for it's target demographic of 3-11 year olds!

It still sucks. Have you even seen it? Absolutely no effort was put in, just the bare minimum. The animation is incredibly poor, to the point where their mouths don't even move in some of it, the art is just pink, pink, and more pink. The stories and characters are basically not even there at all. The entire thing is just...awful.

3-11 year olds deserve better than that. Much better.

Edited by BasementPrincess
  • Brohoof 8

It still sucks. Have you even seen it? Absolutely no effort was put in, just the bare minimum. The animation is incredibly poor, to the point where their mouths don't even move in some of it, the art is just pink, pink, and more pink. The stories and characters are basically not even there at all. The entire thing is just...awful.

3-11 year olds deserve better than that. Much better.

Of course I have! You're speaking to someone who prefers the earlier gens to FiM!

• Brohoof 3

Ugh... This show...

I already have a headache, and thinking about this piece of crap show makes my head hurt more.

The plots sucked horribly. It was always some crap that was convoluted, even for a show made for 3-11 year olds. The way it was designed made me want to vomit. The animation was crap, and the mouth animations were in place only for one episode. I kid you not, there was only mouth animations for the first episode.

It was just bad in every aspect that I could see.

...Okay. May I ask why? I could maybe understand preferring Gen 1 as it actually has a few interesting things going for it. But why the other gens?

Because I have three older sisters and I used to get all the hand me down toys! Also my own daughter loves MLP and prefers G3.5 and having to watch it over and over and over again its not that bad!

• Brohoof 1

Because I have three older sisters and I used to get all the hand me down toys! Also my own daughter loves MLP and prefers G3.5 and having to watch it over and over and over again its not that bad!

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. Though I still wouldn't want to watch it, just watching it once was enough to give me a headache. Friendship is magic was a massive step-up in my opinion. Though if you grew up with the older toys than I could see why you would enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1

Because I have three older sisters and I used to get all the hand me down toys! Also my own daughter loves MLP and prefers G3.5 and having to watch it over and over and over again its not that bad

NO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I Don't want to hear it! (puts fingers in ears) LALALALALA

• Brohoof 1

It's one of those ventures that equates "show aimed at girls" with "show aimed at lobotomized toddlers." Any individual complaints about sorry excuses for conflicts or ugly animation and design and audio that sounded like it was recorded with a rubber duck become moot in the face of the revelation that clearly no one gave a crap. It's not worth the effort of picking apart and talking about.

Which I guess is what just happened. Crap.

• Brohoof 1

Ugh, I'm so sick of hearing Bronies bash the older generations! Seriously, you're entitled to your own opinion, but don't go bitching about it! Just don't buy the G3.5 toys, that's it, that's all you gotta do, it's that simple.

Edited by Mami Tomoe
  • Brohoof 1

Ugh... This show...

I already have a headache, and thinking about this piece of crap show makes my head hurt more.

The plots sucked horribly. It was always some crap that was convoluted, even for a show made for 3-11 year olds. The way it was designed made me want to vomit. The animation was crap, and the mouth animations were in place only for one episode. I kid you not, there was only mouth animations for the first episode.

It was just bad in every aspect that I could see.

Maybe because plots are very poor and conflicts are no more serious than trying to fit 7 ponies in a 5-seat ferris wheel, or Pinkie Pie worrying for not doing a diasasterous party and everything gets solved with an "It's OK!" and some cups of tea.

BTW this applies to G3 too.

No thought, no effort. Tons of padding and dead air. It existed for Hasbro to have something pony related to keep the franchise on life support till they could find a way to revive it. I don't even think the people who made this had any faith in their products. They threw it together out if obligation and didn't treat it like a project.

If you don't like it, don't watch it! But stop bitching and whining about it! There are those of us with kids and THEY enjoy it, which is all that matters!

• Brohoof 1

If you don't like it, don't watch it! But stop bitching and whining about it! There are those of us with kids and THEY enjoy it, which is all that matters!

Well, I like the designs, I think they're cute, but I must admit the episode plots lack of more emotion, something more opposite to good (not neccesarily villains, but also antagonists and anti-heroes) and adventure, which G1 had in a bigger proportion. They're fun in some way, but still.

Edited by RainbowMau

@

But we're not talking about the toys, we're talking about the show. 

Okay, let me re-write my comment:

"Ugh, I'm so sick of hearing Bronies bash the older generations! Seriously, you're entitled to your own opinion, but don't go bitching about it! Just don't watch the show, that's it, that's all you gotta do, it's that simple."

It didn't get nearly as much care, time and effort going into it as FiM does. If any at all. All the characters were one-dimensional with the same personality and traits given to each one, the 'plots' were uninspired and boring, the animation was limited and stiff. It helped cement the common idea that the show was a 10+ minute long advert focusing only on selling toys.

It basically only existed to make sure girls knew those ponies' names and could recognize them as dolls in a store. No depth, no story, nothing. Oh, how times have changed.

. It isn't all about kids though. If they like it, then its good, but it isn't all that matters. And I'm technically still classed as a child being under 16, I don't like generation 3.5. So not all of us enjoy it. But I feel like there is too much hate for 3.5

If you don't like it, don't watch it! But stop bitching and whining about it!

The thread asked us if why many say that Gen 3.5 sucked. We are providing answers based on the opinions the thread asked us to recall. It's not shoving our "bitching and whining" into a conversation if the conversation is asking for an explanation for that reaction specifically.

And I'm getting tired of this "You don't have to watch it if you don't like it!" statement in general. Of course this is true, and many of us are not watching it. It isn't like we view it every time we want to complain about it. I've personally only seen it once, and that's all people need for this uncanny horror to be burned into their minds.

• Brohoof 1