Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Python replacing C++ in schools

Revy ~ Two Hands

So my college hasn't taught C++ in years and after doing some research it seems there is an international shift towards python. In part due to it's ease of teaching and in part due to how some of C++ antiquated functionality is no longer necessary or relevant to modern computer programming.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Gamer Twilight

hmmm.. I don't know.. In my school, though we did study Python.. we only studied very briefly.. only to understand basic function and statements.. then we moved to Java after that.. though I kinda hope we already studied straight to Java.. Unfortunately we didn't study C++.. is there any radical difference with Python and C++?

Python is basically a newer, more simplistic, and easier language than C++, although they share a lot of common roots.

I can't say much specifically, though. I only know a bit of Java.

I don't know about this. I studied C, then C++, then Python, and i felt learning them beginning with the hardest first was very rewarding. Though yeah, Python is easy to learn and use, that's for sure. 

I was taught Python in my intro to programming class, and they also used it in one of my physics classes. I guess the syntax and whatnot is much preferable in python than C++, or something :huh:.

(edited)

hmmm.. I don't know.. In my school, though we did study Python.. we only studied very briefly.. only to understand basic function and statements.. then we moved to Java after that.. though I kinda hope we already studied straight to Java.. Unfortunately we didn't study C++.. is there any radical difference with Python and C++?

That's complicated because programming languages evolve.

C > C++ > PHP (for server side scripting)

JavaScript > JQuery (a library that references JavaScript functions)

I don't think there is a simple answer to this.

I don't know about this. I studied C, then C++, then Python, and i felt learning them beginning with the hardest first was very rewarding. Though yeah, Python is easy to learn and use, that's for sure. 

Python is studied in Colleges and Universities as a replacement for C and C++ and it's happening internationally, so I assume the shift in industry is inevitable as millions as graduates go into work programming.

i noticed this too. I'm starting to learn C++ on my own for fun, should I pick python instead? 

I would since there is a lot of antiquated aspects to C++ that really aren't necessary in modern computer programming such as the way memory is allocated and so on.

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Pascal was a great language, both for being taught in college, and in having large projects that actually worked without a huge debugging issue.

I do prefer the logical flow of a procedural language in some aspects.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

I would since there is a lot of antiquated aspects to C++ that really aren't necessary in modern computer programming such as the way memory is allocated and so on.

Thanks, I don't have time to learn more than one language since I'm currently taking a degree in ed so I'm sticking with python. 

(edited)

Thanks, I don't have time to learn more than one language since I'm currently taking a degree in ed so I'm sticking with python. 

Python is very scaleable in what can be done with it in addition to being the most user friendly programming language. 

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

I remember when there were mixed fears and jubilation every time there was talk of moving from C++ to a replacement. C#, J# were examples about ten years ago. Maybe longer. Anyway, any Imperative Language has it's weaknesses, save you from certain traps and leave you open to others. Python is cleaner and logical, which is why I prefer it to Perl and I understand the emphasis that they are placing on it. Regardless, all real world systems that I build use more than one language, so as long as I don't have to get to hacky with a project to accomplish a goal a client has in mind, I'm satisfied.

Two programming threads in one day. Jeric is pleased.

(edited)

I remember when there were mixed fears and jubilation every time there was talk of moving from C++ to a replacement. C#, J# were examples about ten years ago. Maybe longer. Anyway, any Imperative Language has it's weaknesses, save you from certain traps and leave you open to others. Python is cleaner and logical, which is why I prefer it to Perl and I understand the emphasis that they are placing on it. Regardless, all real world systems that I build use more than one language, so as long as I don't have to get to hacky with a project to accomplish a goal a client has in mind, I'm satisfied.

Two programming threads in one day. Jeric is pleased.

I'm interested in web applications so HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, PHP, Ruby on Rails, and python are what I want to focus on for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 1

I'm interested in web applications so HTML, CSS, JavaScript, JQuery, PHP, Ruby on Rails, and python are what I want to focus on for the foreseeable future. 

And that is about the entire master suite ... also XML but that goes without saying.

And since you mentioned Ruby on Rails.

3t4hyb.jpg

I like classes a lot more in C++ than python, the curly brackets make things a fair bit easier to distinguish data members and methods than a colon and white space. Python also has a bit of a version problem where some developers use Python 2 over version 3.

That being said, I like python for quick and dirty scripts. It's just that I don't like how white space is a part of the syntax rather than the C style.

If it is a more effective and simple way to code than I am all for it. I know a little big of HTML and Javascript but not much C++ but do know enough that C++ is some fairly complicated stuff.

I'm still new to programming, bit is Python just a simplified C++?

(I've seen Python script, and it looks very simple, to the point where I thought it'd be a good language to start with — now more especially if it's replacing C++). I'd always heard that C++ (antiquated as it may be) was one of the best languages because it had more functionality.

I like classes a lot more in C++ than python, the curly brackets make things a fair bit easier to distinguish data members and methods than a colon and white space. Python also has a bit of a version problem where some developers use Python 2 over version 3.

That being said, I like python for quick and dirty scripts. It's just that I don't like how white space is a part of the syntax rather than the C style.

I would say about 20-25% agree thar Python 3 is not ready for prime time.

(I've seen Python script, and it looks very simple, to the point where I thought it'd be a good language to start with — now more especially if it's replacing C++). I'd always heard that C++ (antiquated as it may be) was one of the best languages because it had more functionality.

Depends. Many game programmers prefer C++ for obvious reasons.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Python all the way. 

And that is about the entire master suite ... also XML but that goes without saying.

And since you mentioned Ruby on Rails.

img-2995068-1-3t4hyb.jpg

Objective C looks like fun if there is time I'll add that to my list.

And by list I mean I've already said I can do it on Linkedin. lol. Give it time.

Edited by Gamer Twilight

At my University, all Freshman are required to learn Python. They do this because it is very "lenient" on errors. Sophomores learn Java, and Juniors and Seniors do C++. Honestly, I dislike it. Since I am in Video Game design, I feel Python is a large waste of a semester because it is used for text based applications. 

At my University, all Freshman are required to learn Python. They do this because it is very "lenient" on errors. Sophomores learn Java, and Juniors and Seniors do C++. Honestly, I dislike it. Since I am in Video Game design, I feel Python is a large waste of a semester because it is used for text based applications. 

Programming theory is the most important aspect when you start to learn programming. Python can be scaled to do a lot more than text applications also they just never taught it to you.