Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

....What's happened to the fandom?

MK15

If you're on the internet and aren't expecting some level of negativity you're in the wrong place. :lol:

But seriously, if you're finding so much negativity it's likely that you're specifically looking for it, if only subconsciously.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. Is there something wrong with being critical? Is there something wrong with not liking everything? It's not like they are forcing you to agree with them.

It's only a problem when they're too critical to the point where they're just ruining the show for themselves/others

• Brohoof 1

I still don't see this negativity that OP claims is there. Also, 600 arts a day dropping to 60? Where the heck did you get that statistic?

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
Removed response to hidden post.
  • Brohoof 2

Negativity? not really maybe a little

anger? yes quite a lot...

well us bronies/pegasisters are no more than normal people who like the show My little pony friendship is magic (or mlp alone) so we will have people like this and as the fandom has grown you are more likely to see stuff like this...

some bronies feel the show is going downhill personally I like it as much as before but this is maybe because it's not 100% the same as the episodes they first saw in season 1 and possibly 2 making it feel as though it is going downhill for them...

we also have things like Twilicorn why they don't like it? two possible reason 1. they feel they are turning Twilight a little too much on the Mary Sue (overpowered) side or 2. change, change can really sent quite a lot of fans in ANY fandom wild considering Twilight has been a unicorn for three seasons and suddenly she gets wings putting the show in a different direction may seem bad for some bronies

personally I'm not negative in ANY way with the show to be honest it has flaws as do all shows but expect this from a fandom...mainly since we are going another way in mlp. 

It's only a problem when they're too critical to the point where they're just ruining the show for themselves/others

So, people can't be honest with their opinions? People can't dislike things, even if it's a natural instinct of theirs? They can't "Ruin" the show for themselves because people might yell at them for destroying the illusion of perfection?

And I don't see how criticism can genuinely "ruin" somebody's enjoyment, aside from somebody criticizing a movie or show while watching it with friends, or if they resorted to personal attacks, or if they pressure other people to agree. It sounds more like people are afraid of confronting their own doubts.

• Brohoof 1

Apart from the type of person who is just being negative for being negative; a certain degree of regular criticism about something shows that it has a healthy group of fans. If no one ever says, "I think this could have been done better" it means no one cares much about a form of art in general, we only take time to critically evaluate the things we care about.

In my case, S1 is my favorite but this past season I very much enjoyed, got to see some things happen I have been hoping for, and it had my second favorite finale (despite it's flaws ) :) .

• Brohoof 2

I have not been with the fandom from the beginning but I really dont see the negativity outside of a few people with clear mental health problems and nostalgic analysts.

I also find critiquing to be highly entertaining like the E.W.W parody or that angry drunk guy Drowning In Horseshoes. Some folks just have different ways of enjoying a show.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

People have different opinions, some are nice about it and some aren't some give good reasons while others just hate on something just to hate on it. This is probably the millionth thread on the subject of alleged brony negativity and while I am not going to deny that it in fact exists I think it is seriously overblown. Not every negative opinion about the show is necessarily being "negative", it is simply disagreeing with certain aspects of the show or not liking certain episodes. I myself have criticized certain episodes and concepts in the show and will continue to do so as I see fit, it dosen't mean I dislike the show it just means that I may not like or disagree with those aspects of it.

• Brohoof 1

NOTHING.

*Throws papers into the air and stand up on the table kicking all the stuff and dancing around like an idiot.*

NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO THE FANDOM!

LET'S ALL JUST HAVE A CELEBRATION!

*Executes a party and everyone joins.*

Seriously, I don't know where you got it, but you should look at the brighter side of the fandom as there are some corners in every fandom that are only there for drama.

• Brohoof 2

You could probably fill volumes with what I don't know about this fanbase. I only started watching the show back in April, and it has spiralled into a major interest of mine. That said, all I have to go on is my observations from this forum, the older Brony documentary, a handful of fanvids and my experience at Brony Can. Based on that data, my conclusion is that this is very much a fanbase that's upbeat and welcoming, and very much into the show. Of course, Brony Can or any kind of dedicated con is not something I'd expect the less content fans of any fanbase to go out of their way to attend, so I could have just seen the more passionate fans. Whether the more content members of the fanbase are in the minority or not though, there are obviously enough, and in growing numbers to not only sustain a con like that, but report an increased attendance year after year.

So, someone has a difference of opinion. Regardless of whether they represent the majority or not, they're still just someone with an opinion that doesn't ring universally true. I don't know any MLP:FiM analysts, and I won't presume to say they're bad people or anything crazy like that, since we couldn't possibly know what they're like in their everyday life, based solely on their vids and opinion pieces. As a gamer, I'm no stranger to analysts like Patcher. In my experience, they have an opinion just like anyone else, but they happen to be paid for theirs. Some may feel they're paid more than they deserve for simply having an opinion, but I actually respect them. It's a pretty sweet deal, and getting into a position where your opinion means something must take some time and dedication to accomplish. I wouldn't take one column by one analyst or group of analysts as a reflection of the entire fanbase though.

I didn't much care for Twilicorn at the end of season 3, nor did I care for the idea of Discord being reformed. I actually think season 4 took what were rushed and out there plot points and made them work. Season 4 is easily one of my favorite seasons, and not only did it work out despite Twilight's transformation, but it actually turned out to be decent plot point. I don't take back my initial thoughts, because I think it was a rushed plot point, and I don't think enough thought was put into it when it was implemented. I do however credit the show's writers for salvaging it and turning it into something meaningful. That's just my opinion though. I'm sure some people made up their mind on Twilicorn when it first happened, and stuck with those feelings throughout season 4.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

Welp, there is negativity everywhere. You hear negativity to the government, negativity to devices, negativity to people, negativity to humanity, negativity to EVERYTHING!

That also applies to the brony fandom, or even every fandom there in this planet, so it's life to hear these negativity elsewhere... ;)

Plus, it's THEIR opinion to hate on something, I mean, there are a lot who hate "A Canterlot Wedding", "Twilight's Kingdom", or all of those  "tour de forces" episodes of the show, and an opinion is an opinion. You can't change an opinion because it's their philosophy and thinking. (Unless if they think "murder should be legal" or something... :P)

Additionally, I don't see a lot of negativity in this fandom ever since I've joined back in early last year, and of course, as I said back up, you see negativity in other fandoms. Honestly, there's a lot more negativity to the government than negativity to MLP from bronies...

• Brohoof 1

Well most of the fandom seem to be happy with season 4 with most people deeming it as their favorite season. Sure you'll get a few exceptions like Digibrony and Byter but both just appear to have gone jaded to me. So yeah, I wouldn't say it's negative it's just it might be that small but loud minority

• Brohoof 1

Then he shouldnt be reviewing it, if he doesnt enjoy it he should not be critiquing it...

What? Just...just what?

Who the hay are you to.... nope not going to get aggravated . People have a right to their opinions and critiques. If you have that much of a problem with it then do not watch/read it. People who critique just have their own way of enjoying the show and you should respect that.

Edited by Buck Testa

Where did you get the whole 'fandom is negative' thing from?

From the most vocal portion of the fandom - the analysis community. It's no secret that Season 4 has received plenty of disapproval from several key analysts. Some have just abandoned MLP altogether after Season 4.

The fandom is not dying, or becoming negative, whatever. In fact, Season 4 is getting a LOT of praise.

You may be interested in reading through this thread.

I too have noticed a lot of show bashing since...well.. the second season, but I'm not so sure. I don't particularly care all too much what people are saying, it's not going to affect my view in any way. On the internet in particular a lot of people like to whinge, but season 4 is arguably the best in my opinion.

On another note, a lot of the uproar to do with Twilight I'd say is likely to do with the fact that many who are attached to this fandom are hesitant for any change to do with their favourite show. just a wild theory.

• Brohoof 1

From the most vocal portion of the fandom - the analysis community. It's no secret that Season 4 has received plenty of disapproval from several key analysts. Some have just abandoned MLP altogether after Season 4.

You may be interested in reading through this thread.

Mkay I am going to tell you a secret that may come as a shock to you. Those people are not nor will they ever be the leaders of the fandom. They have fans and I am subbed to several of their channels but I never got the vibe that they held much more than an entertainer role among bronies.

Second point, Negative reactions get the views. Think how popular Cinima Cins, Honest Trailers, Nostalgia Critic, and a slew of other channels just on youtube who get their laurals by ripping movies and shows to shreds in comedic fashion. Same thing is going on with these entertainers looking at mlp. That is what they are and that is what they do: entertain and nothing more.

Third point, How long has this fandom been going? A number of years, anything and I mean anything loses steam after awhile, and thats okay

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

Those people are not nor will they ever be the leaders of the fandom. 

Read my post again. I said "most vocal". The tallest trees catch the most wind.

Second point, Negative reactions get the views.

Digibrony's, for example, views dropped significantly when he started becoming more critical of Season 4. I didn't notice any big increase in viewers from other "negative" reviewers either.

Third point, How long has this fandom been going? A number of years, anything and I mean anything loses steam after awhile, and thats okay

I never said that it wasn't okay. I'm just pointing it out.

Read my post again. I said "most vocal". The tallest trees catch the most wind.

Digibrony's, for example, views dropped significantly when he started becoming more critical of Season 4. I didn't notice any big increase in viewers from other "negative" reviewers either.

I never said that it wasn't okay. I'm just pointing it out.

Well the situation is correcting itself then. People do not care for the negative in this fandom and people who push it lose support. That sounds like a good reasonable thing to me and all the more proves they are there too entertain.

Fandoms like this get a lot of people who jump on for the wrong reasons and jump off just as fast, once that inflation bubble bursts the real fandom will remain like with the Trekkies or other long standing fandoms. Most importantly the show would not go anywhere cause its target audience still gives it plenty of support. Nothing to stress over.

Edited by Buck Testa

The fandom, the fandom has changed

The fandom has changed. It's no longer about ponies, morals, or  OCs. It's an endless series of proxy battles fought by shitposters  and white knights. The fandom - and its consumption of money - has become a well-oiled machine. The fandom has changed . Oc tagged bronies with oc tagged posts, use oc tagged software. Fedoras atop their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Pandering Control. Analyst  control. Emotion control.Fandom control. Everything is monitored and kept under control. The fandom  has changed. The age of bronies has become the age of control...All in the name of averting catastrophe from stealers of waifus. And he who controls the waifus...controls bronies. The fandom  has changed. When the fandom is under total control...shitposting becomes routine

Edited by M'aiq the Liar
  • Brohoof 3

Also as for the analysts who hate season 4, it's their own opinion. Also, their views for their videos went down during season 4 showing how people were happy with season 4 and had just gotten tired of listening to them. Oh and only like a few of them didn't like season 4. The majority of the analysis community seemed happy with it.