Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

celestia isn't a corrupt tyrant or a troll

lelouch.

Many people hate her because of how conveniently she dissapears when bad guys show up. She goes away when nightmare moon gets some screen time. She sends the mane 6 to deal with discord. She sends them to deal with the crystal empire. She doesn't stop tirek when the time wss right. This and other things that i forgot to mention.

my point is, celestia isnt what she looks like. A kind, wise mare and all. infact, she reminds me of Dumbledore. She does all those things on purpose. She forces Twilight into those situations so that she can become an alicorn, which i presume was possible after she competed that spell. She had to give twilight the necessary exposure, which forced her to improve her magic skills.

So she's cruel, but also smart. She knows she cant always be there for equestria. And thus she has to pick proper and qualified heirs to the throne. And there must have been a big boost in the defence for the land due to an additional princess.. all that said, i doubt celestia is a troll or anything.

edit: ok guys i think i phraes this incorrectly. Celestia isn't cruel at heart. But she knows that cruel decisions are necessary. Im pretty sure she loves twilight. Like i said.... she reminds me of Dumbledore.

Edited by hamza
  • Brohoof 9

Sometime's leaders have to make tough decision's. If Celestia did manipulate Twilight into meeting the Mane Six, could you blame her? She's been separated from the only power that could protect Equestria and the ponies she loves; she would've gone to any lengths to make sure they were safe. There's no doubt she loves Twilight like a daughter, but she still did what she had to. That's the true weight of being a princess.

• Brohoof 3

Someone wrote a brilliant fanfic, the name of which escapes me at the moment, where Celestia was tired of being criticized for sending Twilight and company to face horrible dangers when she was no where to be found, and yet the other princesses, like Twilight and Cadence, didn't do anything to help the day to day running of the kingdom, like budgeting and setting tax rates and socialized medical programs and suchlike. So, Celestia went and elevated the only pony she knew personally who relished the accomplishments of a day's work, was down to earth, and had work ethic coming out her ears. And so came Princess Applejack.

Seriously though, Celestia's a wise and just ruler, though, they say absolute power corrupts absolutely, and she can raise and lower the sun.I think it's just a matter of time...

• Brohoof 1

She just makes sometimes mistakes, but any ruler makes mistakes, including actual rulers, which makes me think Celestia is a very realistic ruler.

She's by no means a tirant, and more less a troll. That goes to Discord, remember? She always tries to plan ahead over everything, but most of the time she loses.

In the very first episode, she was a legit good leader and character, she wanted her sister back, that's it. But from that point on the show weighed too much attention on the Mane 6 and other secondary characters and never gave a chance to Celestia.

The comics haven't done anything similar. A weird romance with the alternate world Sombra, but that's it.

• Brohoof 3

There is a youtuber by the name of Jerry Peet that brought up an excellent point about why Celestia is vilified by the fandom.

Peet says it stems from the fact that the Majority of Bronies are American. America is known for breaking away from an oppressive monarchy and there are deep roots in the idea that any government that is not a republic/Democracy is inherently evil. Its no surprise that such indoctrination would bleed into their perception of Celestia as a Autocratic ruler.

However as this guy brilliantly points out; This form of government is only evil if the one running the show is evil. If the supreme ruler is someone like Celestia then it is a "Benevolent Dictatorship"

Now seeing one of those in reality is hard to come by, but if I lived in a place ruled by someone like Celestia I would have Zero problems with it.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

There is a youtuber by the name of Jerry Peet that brought up an excellent point about why Celestia is vilified by the fandom.

Peet says it stems from the fact that the Majority of Bronies are American. America is known for breaking away from an oppressive monarchy and there are deep roots in the idea that any government that is not a republic/Democracy is inherently evil. Its no surprise that such indoctrination would bleed into their perception of Celestia as a Autocratic ruler.

However as this guy brilliantly points out; This form of government is only evil if the one running the show is evil. If the supreme ruler is someone like Celestia then it is a "Benevolent Dictatorship"

Now seeing one of those in reality is hard to come by, but if I lived in a place ruled by someone like Celestia I would have Zero problems with it.

I think it's more because she banished Luna to the Moon.

• Brohoof 1

Most people don't really think that and no one sensible is gullible enough to believe she truly is anyway. Its just all fandom jokes and stuff like Scoots being a chicken. Old jokes. 

• Brohoof 1

[...]

So she's cruel, but also smart. She knows she cant always be there for equestria. And thus she has to pick proper and qualified heirs to the throne. And there must have been a big boost in the defence for the land due to an additional princess.. all that said, i doubt celestia is a troll or anything.

I almost liked the post until I saw "So she's cruel." I wouldn't  call her cruel. She knows how to use tough love, more like, like Fluttershy sending off the breezies, much like how she forces Twilight and gang into situations for their own growth and good.

Let me refer you to a thread I started on this topic: http://mlpforums.com/topic/106621-it-has-to-be-you/#entry2939236

And I'll just drop this here to speak for me:

https://www.derpibooru.org/77936

This right here proves that Princess Celestia can be a troll:

But I still love her. She will always be my waifu. She's flawless in my opinion.

That's just a fun little playful thing, trying to lighten the mood. I wouldn't call it trolling since she wasn't trying to aggravate someone else for her amusement. Just being playful :P

• Brohoof 1

I almost liked the post until I saw "So she's cruel." I wouldn't  call her cruel. She knows how to use tough love, more like, like Fluttershy sending off the breezies, much like how she forces Twilight and gang into situations for their own growth and good.

Let me refer you to a thread I started on this topic: http://mlpforums.com/topic/106621-it-has-to-be-you/#entry2939236

And I'll just drop this here to speak for me:

https://www.derpibooru.org/77936

That's just a fun little playful thing, trying to lighten the mood. I wouldn't call it trolling since she wasn't trying to aggravate someone else for her amusement. Just being playful :P

I agree that Celestia was only being playful. Trolls wouldn't do something and say "gotcha!" in a light and playful tone, if they were really trolling.

In truth,  I don't hate Celestia if

anything I just wish they would

give us a bit more about her

and like her past and maybe

well,  what she's like off her

"princess aura" time and such!

Thankfully the fandom gives us

a maybe of what she might like

as a pony wanting love,  to be

normal or a hard iron hoofed ruler!  With

many in between to come and explore

and well have fun with!

A lot of Celestia's actions happen off screen, and we only see a tiny bit of what she does. We see her actions, but we rarely, if ever, see the thought processes or events leading up to those actions. Of course, people like to overanalyze, and there's plenty of room for head canons and fanfic that she isn't who she appears to be. However, based on the data at hand, we can't definitively say that she is corrupt, or anything like that. That said, she hasn't always been the perfect Princess she's made out to be either. To be honest I think that's a good thing because it makes her less of a 2 dimensional character, but to each their own. I personally think she's as good a Princess as is realistically possible, given her duties and some of the tough decisions she's forced to make, but someone else may see her as a tyrannical dictator. If nothing else, I think it's great that stuff like this is open to interpretation.

Ya I'm not big on the hate for Tia, the only issue I have that's canon was in Lesson Zero but then I blame the writers. Had they not popped her in just to justify Twilights fears then I wouldn't have any problems.

My head canon has always been the same with her and that she's loosing her power and she needs to fast train Twilight for the job.

While she's lived a long time, I've never bought into the idea of immortality

The fact we never really see her do much is part of the reason people aren't keen on her. You get the feeling that she could do a lot more if she felt like it, which she does explicitly say in the FF comic with Spike (which really annoyed me, saying she could've stopped so many of the villains but almost couldn't be bothered and instead left it up to an inexperienced Twilight).

If she actually had an episode where she has to do something that we as viewers can see and appreciate, (we can't appreciate how she handles things like taxes etc. as we don't live in that world and there's no evidence to us of how she's even doing with that), then I think some of the hate on her would ease up. She needs to have a moment of awesome so we can see why exactly she's ruler of all.

• Brohoof 2

@ShyPie,

3 things I want in S5:

1. Less-to-no Spike-abuse.

2. Angel Bunny to develop into a Jerk With A Heart Of Gold (instead of being, you know, a full-on Jerk@$$).

3. A BUCKING CELESTIA EPISODE ALREADY!!!

P.S.: Yes, I know IDW #23 already made Angel a JWAHOG, but I want the show to do it, too.

• Brohoof 3

@ShyPie,

3 things I want in S5:

1. Less-to-no Spike-abuse.

2. Angel Bunny to develop into a Jerk With A Heart Of Gold (instead of being, you know, a full-on Jerk@$$).

3. A BUCKING CELESTIA EPISODE ALREADY!!!

P.S.: Yes, I know IDW #23 already made Angel a JWAHOG, but I want the show to do it, too.

1. Agreed. Spike needs more positive eps focusing on him, less highlighting how he's not so great at this or that and instead more just on him being awesome.

2. I don't think that Angel Bunny was always a jerk. I think he's just got ridiculously used to being looked after by Flutter Shy that he's ended up kind of spoiled and takes advantage of her kind nature, maybe he could get an episode that teaches him a lesson about taking advantage of others.

3. I know, right?!

.... she reminds me of Dumbledore.

Dude, Dumbledore didn't want to have to do any of that stuff he did to Harry, but he felt like he needed to. People who compare Celestia to Dumbledore obviously don't get how much Dumbledore resented doing what he did.

Dumbledore set Harry up to die. From the moment he found harry that night he planned on Harry dying to Voldemort and engineering events so that it would happen, and hoping that harry might figure out how the golden snitch would open and that he would have it at the time it was needed.

To compare Celestia to Dumbledore is to admit that Celestia is a manipulator of Sith-like proportions, because that is what Dumbledore was

Edited by Zoraxe

Dude, Dumbledore didn't want to have to do any of that stuff he did to Harry, but he felt like he needed to. People who compare Celestia to Dumbledore obviously don't get how much Dumbledore resented doing what he did.

Dumbledore set Harry up to die. From the moment he found harry that night he planned on Harry dying to Voldemort and engineering events so that it would happen, and hoping that harry might figure out how the golden snitch would open and that he would have it at the time it was needed.

To compare Celestia to Dumbledore is to admit that Celestia is a manipulator of Sith-like proportions, because that is what Dumbledore was

well she does force twilight to deal with sotuations that could potentially kill her in order to make her stronger. But yeah, i know she has no intention of killing twilight. Her end goal is to turn twilight into an alicorn.

The fandom seems to stretch and manipulate what the characters actually are.

If we take away the fanfiction and the fandom as a whole...

...Celestia is NOT a tyrant or a molester.

...Luna is NOT a gamer.

...Big Mac is NOT a pedophilic serial killer.

...Pinkie Pie is NOT a psychotic social outcast who cuts up other ponies in her basement.

...Rarity is NOT a hooker.

...Rainbow Dash isn't having any sort of sexual relationship with Pinkie Pie. Why? BECAUSE MLP PONIES DON'T HAVE GENITALS, DAMMIT!

Sorry, I kinda got heated there for a second.

• Brohoof 1