Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Kelvocity

Do You Believe Celestia a Tyrant?  

138 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe that Princess Celestia is a tyrant?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you believe Princess Celestia is a troll?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you enjoy the Trollestia joke?

• Yes
    • No

If Princess Celestia is a Tyrant why isn't she murdering the Ponies on a daily basis for fun and having all her subjects live in fear? And why is she not demanding their children as sacrifices like a Sun God to make her happy enough to give life (raising the sun) to the world? The answer is she's not a Tyrant (well at least the canon one anyway) and deeply cares for all her subjects.

Because none of those things a necessary to be a tyrant.  I Tyrant is someone who rules by force, not from the will of the people.  You don't need to constantly be murdering ponies to rule by force.

Bah, of course she is not a tyrant or a troll but some of the Trollestia jokes are funny though so I generally have no problem with it. None of it is meant to be taken seriously in the first place anyway.

"tyrant (Greek τύραννοςtyrannos), in its modern English usage, is a ruler of a cruel and oppressive character[1] who is an absolute ruler unrestrained by law or constitution."

Celestia is not an absolute ruler: She rules alongside her sister.

She seems to follow the rules well enough.

She is definitely not cruel, nor oppressive.

Therefore, by all manner of definition, Celestia is not a tyrant.

Celestia has always been a Dumbledore type figure to me. I too used to think she was a condescending bitch, but after looking more closely at her interactions with the other poneis I now feel she's the best thing to ever happen to Equestria. Ponyville wouldn't even exist in it's current form without her and Luna's influence.

We've seen all sorts of horrible monsters and creatures of legend throughout the series, and it looks like the royal sisters (and now Twilight and friends) are the only thing keeping Equestria from sinking into total chaos.

So no, I don't think she's a tyrant. She's a watchful protector. A silent guardian.

A PONY PRINCESS

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 1

"A tyrant (Greekτύραννος, tyrannos), in its modern English usage, is a ruler of a cruel and oppressive character[1] who is an absolute ruler unrestrained by law or constitution."

Celestia is not an absolute ruler: She rules alongside her sister.

She seems to follow the rules well enough.

She is definitely not cruel, nor oppressive.

Therefore, by all manner of definition, Celestia is not a tyrant.

Like my good friend here said.

Celestia is by no means a tyrant based I the definition of a tyrant.

So no I don't think he I a tyrant.

Besides when I think of tyrant I think of evil rulers like Scar or King Sombra.

Now in fan-fics, that's okay. They are fictional, tu don't always have to make sense.

But in the show no.

She is not a tyrant.

Making Celestia a tyrant is for humorous purposes or as a plot device for fanfics of making her evil. Also she's not a troll, she just doesn't give the answer outright because lessons are best learned through experience, she wants her subjects to be leaders themselves and she also doesn't know what course of action her subjects would take for their better health so if she told them to do this and that it might not be the right choice for them (she's not an omniscient god just another mortal pony with a crown on). The other reasons is she doesn't want to deal with all the affairs of the kingdom and the the other reason is the episode would be over in just 5 seconds if Celestia just came down gave a solution and flew away.

And trollestia? Not the greatest joke in the world for me.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 1

I don't think Princess Celestial is a tyrant, but a troll. She's trolled in a handful of episodes, and the first one that's floating on top of my head is when she pretended to drink the tea when she wasn't. I'm very sure there are a lot more than just that, but I can't seem to remember.

my theory behind the most recent boon in trollestia jokes takes place during magical controversy cure.

celes -hey twilight fix this spell for me.

twilight -ok what does it do?

celes -i dunno.

twilight -what's it supposed to do?

celes- i dunno.

twilight- ok where is the pony who first created the spell?

celes- i dunno. well have fun oh and don't go changing anyponys destiny or anything ;)

imho- successful troll is successful.

• Brohoof 2

ty·rant
 [ trənt ]   

1. absolute ruler: an absolute ruler who exercises power cruelly and unjustly
  2. authoritarian person: an unjust and oppressive exerciser of authority
  3. ancient Greek ruler: in ancient Greece, a ruler who took control of a state without legal sanction and governed with absolute power

By definition, Celestia is not a tyrant. I think we can all agree on that.

troll
 [ trōl ]   

1. drag baited line through water: to fish by dragging a baited line through water, or from the back of a boat moving slowly
  2. troll in one area: to troll a particular area, or for a particular type of fish
  3. look for something: to attempt to find something

I don't think this is the "troll" definition we are looking for.

"Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can."

Nope. I am a master of cynicism and sarcasm (I lurk 4chan all day), so I can say, without a doubt, she is not a troll.

As for enjoying it, I have to say I do not. Inferno48 and emeraldshadows (on the my old community) ruined it for me with their...(can't think of a

nice word to use)...hate for celestia.

Regardless, I feel this s just another one of 4chan's "le epic maymays XDD". I just deal with it.

Also, I am very glad this thread didn't bring any of the NEW LUNAR REPUBLIC crap with it.

Edited by Lokey

I've several lady friends in their 70's and 80's, and their wisdom just astounds me -- it's like so much of the things that just confuse the heck out of me with respect to boyfriends, work, family, etc. they see through like glass.

I think it's because they've seen so many others beset with similar issues, and watched how the problems have been dealt-with and measured the relative degrees of happiness each solution resulted in.

And if Celestia has ruled for 1,000+ years, she must have been alive for even more... and imagining her having seen generations and generations of ponys make life-choices, that which most other ponies might think of as brilliant, new, solutions, must seem to her to be almost predictable in their outcome.

But Celestia doesn't lecture, (thank goodness!) she allows other ponies to make the choices they see best, and to come to their own solutions in accordance with their own destinies... and most importantly, without judging others for the choices they _do_ make, (most of the time).  I don't think I could do this were I to see others making the same mistakes again and again, generation after generation.

So no, I don't believe that Celestia is a tyrant, nor do I believe that she is a troll.

Tyrant is something based more from an action but she is a self-appointed leader and not democratically elected. A benevolent dictator who rules through her immortality is a better description. img-1278315-1-laugh.png

In the real world we would probably frown on that but she does have a demi-god type status with the whole raising the sun thing.

I do think as an authority figure people like placing her in meme's which change or pervert her overall goodness. Trollestia is ok although i do find Molestia a lot funnier of a fan meme.

Edited by Freewave

I do think the trollestia jokes are funny xD. I mean truely! What kind of person sends their sister to the moon! Or turns a guy into stone. Or when your loyal student thinks a person is evil. You say it's false.

I don't believe Celestia is a tyrant in the pure sense of the word, but, for lack of another option, I voted yes. I agree with Freewave; Celestia is a benevolent dictator more than anything. At least, that's what the mainstream Pony Media wants you to think Definitely not a tyrant at all.

As for being a troll, I don't believe that Celestia in canon is a troll but rather a sort of playful mentor. I do quite enjoy the Trollestia jokes though. Keep 'em comin', folks!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

Even though this is more of a joke people have called Celestia a tyrant, and well I'm going to try to explain why this isn't so (even though she has been ruler for 1000+ years)  In Hearth's Warming Eve it is shown that the entire unicorn tribe has to be present in order to raise, and lower the sun/moon. To me this shows that doing this takes an enormous amount of energy, probably leaving the unicorns tired for most of the day/night, as a result of being to tired to do anything the unicorns wouldn't of really been able to learn their special talent, or explore it. (so maybe even no cutie marks in the Hearth's Warming Eve time period) Of course there would be some exceptions, Star Swirl and Clover the Clever. Then sometime after the founding of Equestia Discord takes over (we all know this) so if the unicorns weren't able to explore their talents before, they defintely wouldn't be able to when Discord was in control. Then Celestia and Luna turn him to stone. Now I can think of two things behind this. Celestia and Luna were either born alicorns, and had been watching the events in Equestia as they unfolded from a different location, or they became alicorns as of discovering the Elements of Harmony. After this Celestia, and Luna take the duties of the entire unicorn tribe under them, and later only Celestia performs the actions of what took the entire unicorn tribe. Now that the unicorns primary role in ancient, and pre-Eguestria has been taken over by Celestia they have time to actually explore their powers, and special talents. This can also be explained, because think about it. Unicorns seem to be the most diverse in what they do( although I'm not 100% sure on this as earth ponies have been shown to now be in many different hobbies beside their original job as farmers, but I think that this might just be a population thing as more earth ponies seem to be around then unicorns, or pegasi) Pegasi seem to constantly help,and be required to be weather workers, even if there cutie mark doesn't require them to do so. So back to the original point. I don't think Celestia should be seen so much as a tyrant, but as someone who has given a great deal of self sacrifice, in the form of her devoting the rest of her existance to raising and lowering the sun allowing other ponies to live their life as they choose. Oh don't forget Luna she deserves credit for self sacrifice to.

• 3 weeks later...

She's not a tyrant, because if she was truly just looking to gain more power, she wouldn't have given Twilight the title of princess. However, she is definitely a troll. Her randomness just makes her have the feel of someone who's always laughing about the situation.

• 9 years later...
On 2012-10-13 at 12:39 PM, PonyEcho said:

(opinion of a Celestia fan boy so take this anyway you want.)

yeah, I prefer Cannon over Fannon so all that Trollestia stuff doesn't matter to me, but F :( K Princess Molestia it makes a joke out of something that shouldn't be joked about, it needs to die.

but i do kinda get annoyed by people (mainly Luna fans) who get the big idea that Celestia is some big tyrant because of things with in the Fannon like some fan fics. because they don't like the fact that there favorite pony got jealous and tried to bring eternal darkness with her army of emo and goth OC's and got her ass kicked and sent to the moon.

Maybe  celestia  and  luna both are probably tyrant

Edited by Scootaloo9074090

• 2 weeks later...

Most certainly not, in my opinion. 

While it's true that most of power is in her hooves, she's also not one to rule with iron... hoof? She's benevolent to her subjects, full of compassion for their struggles, all while doing her absolute best to maintain peace and prosperity throughout her realm (and tend to The Sun, which is a difficult task all by itself already). Calling her a tyrant would be too much as that word has negative conotations that just don't mix with Celestia at all.

Is she a troll? No. Troll is generally a negative word relating to negative Internet activity that only recently received more... positive traits. She is playful, likes to do small, innocent jokes and is definitely a humble leader, who shows no hesitation to be among others, but she's not one to just prank everypony around her. She's too much of a gentle spirit to be considered a troll.

"Trollestia". I am not a fan of that as it takes away attention from Celestia's personality. But I don't judge those, who do enjoy it. To each their own.

• 2 months later...