Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think of Double Rainboom?

Alex Z

I couldn't agree more. I like the idea of a "Double Rainboom" but I hate crossovers with a passion. I hate the idea of two unalike shows coming together or being referenced in some way.

Example:

TEEN TITANS GO: "Pretty Pretty Pegasus" NOT ONLY WAS IT AWKWARD, BUT THEY MADE IT SEEM LIKE THESE KIND OF INTERESTS THINGS SHOULD BE KEPT A SECRET

Edited by TrevorGoesBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Double Rainboom is a mess that's for sure but as a big Rainbow Dash fan I find her characterization deplorable. She seems very stupid and reckless in this thing, I mean sure she is reckless in the show but no way would she blow up Ponyville just to try out any stunt of hers. Also how can she breathe in space, how does she know that a double rainboom even exists, why is domo in the moon, and why for gods sake are the Powerpuff Girls in it?! Ugh, this thing makes me so mad, why did the creators lie about this being a fan made episode of MLP, its not, its not like we wouldn't find out! Argh, Im done now...I just....no.....

• Brohoof 3

I didn't like Rainbow Dash in Double Rainboom, she wasn't "in character". The animation was good but it tried so hard to be like in the actual show, and it failed, so i couldn't enjoy it (The Powerpuff Girls part was fine, because the animation was different), the references and the fanservice were ok, and some parts were really great.

In conclusion, it was ok, but it had a lot flaws.

Oh, I was just talking about this!

It... It wasn't very good. I hate saying it, because it was worked on lovingly (to a point, I think, then it was rushed). But I just didn't like it. The animation was great, but at the same time it looked off (Twilight going through her whole facial rig in the opening scene?). The plot seemed to come out of nowhere, and I love crossovers. The powerpuff girl part hit me out of nowhere, and sure it was nice seeing Bubble, Blossom, and Buttercup again, but it was so bizarre. I just couldn't like it, no matter how hard I tried.

• Brohoof 2

I love the animation, and the idea. But the execution...
I believe if they had just cut out all the unnecessary gags and focused on the story, this would've been really amazing. Do you know how many creative ideas you could come up with with an MLP/PPG crossover? It could've been an interesting slice of life, or an awesome tag team, or even that cliche "heroes fight each other, only to realize they're heroes and need to go beat up bad guys" thing. They could've had a DISCORD and HIM tag team, or Mojo jojo and Trixie, or...

see where i'm going with this? It had so much potential...

• Brohoof 1

It's the animated version of the Rainbow Dash micro(which is a pretty sadly accurate comparison), and if anyone knows my feelings on that comic, then it's pretty easy to guess wht my feelings on DR are 

The only thing that makes the comic worse was that it was an official product

Also didn't like the fact that it felt like a Lauren Faust Worship fan video than an actual episode

Edited by Megas75

Oh man, I only watched a couple of minutes of it before I started getting bored and turned it off. I didn't even know till now that it was supposed to be a Powerpuff Girls crossover.

I watched it, it was ok. Animation was good, voice acting was good. Story was meh, RD was out of character some, but I enjoyed it for what it was. 

• Brohoof 1

Well Double Rainboom is what I like to call, "What would happen if fans wrote for the show." It's got everything: characters flanderized like crazy, poor writing that feels like it came out of a fanfiction, the only type of humor they can tell are references to brony memes (not even the show uses them to this extent), and a debes ex machina ending via Pinkie Pie. 

So yeah, not that good. Also, what was with the out of nowhere Power Puff girls crossover?

• Brohoof 5

I was a bit disappointed in it, considering the hype, and it didn't help that that is was released around the same time that the excellent "Snowdrop" was released.

As much as I liked the animation, something seemed a little off about it, like maybe...it was a bit too fluid. Add in the brony references, the PPG crossover, plenty of characters feeling a bit too out of character (PPG included), and the hype that surrounded...it was underwhelming then, and it's still underwhelming.

I hate saying that as there was so much love, care, enthusiasm, and effort that was put into it, but...I just can't like it that much.

• Brohoof 1

guys guys 

there is such thing as a double rainboom 

in real life rainbows are actually a circle 

you can only see them from a birds eye view

this picture is proof of a Full Circle Rainbow over Australia (you can actually see two)

fullrainbow_leonhardt_1500.jpgfullrainbow_leonhardt_1500.jpg
source

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap140930.html

post-30218-0-63149100-1414114684_thumb.jpg

Edited by DR0ID-P0N3

Before watching it, I had high hopes, but in the end it was a slight disappointment. The first half of the movie was fine. It looked like an actual episode well minus the obvious memes/references. I thought it would have a lesson about not to use other people's stuff nor abusing them.

But the 2nd half with the PPG crossover, it was good, but at the same time this was a very poor choice to use. Sure it had some memories of The Powerpuff Girls, but to making it nearly a full episode leading to this kind of urked me for some reason. Didn't fit and was it really necessary?

Sure the movie overall was good, but at the same time I have to feel like this was a letdown with all the hype going on with this movie. If it weren't for that crossover half, I would have been satisfied with this movie.

I have long wanted an episode where a "Rainboom incident" propels Dashie through some kind of space/time event. This animation wasn't it, sadly. Twilight and Rainbow were completely out of character. The Powerpuff segment annoyed me too, and I used to love the girls. The best I can say was that the animation was beautifully done.

(In my imagination, Rainbow Dash get's struck by lightning while performing a Rainboom, and get's propelled far into the future. An elderly princess Twilight and her gigantic guardian dragon Spike must find a way to send Rainbow back, or the timelines will be irreversibly torn apart! Just for fun, maybe we can throw in Twilight's ex-husband Flash Sentry. LOL!) 

• Brohoof 5

(In my imagination, Rainbow Dash get's struck by lightning while performing a Rainboom, and get's propelled far into the future. An elderly princess Twilight and her gigantic guardian dragon Spike must find a way to send Rainbow back, or the timelines will be irreversibly torn apart! Just for fun, maybe we can throw in Twilight's ex-husband Flash Sentry. LOL!) 

Now this would've been awesome 

• Brohoof 4

Yea, really the only part or rather scene I enjoyed in "Double Rainboom" was that actual double rainboom, other than that I hated the crossover part, though with it being a fan animation the animation quality was outstanding to say the least.

So, I guess we really can't complain too much, it is what it is and for what it was it was awesome! B)

• Brohoof 1

The animation was impressive, I will give it that, the fact a fan could animate Double Rainboom was combinable, however the Achilles heel of this movie was the story and the plot, the story was too random and the pacing was terrible, the real obnoxious part was the over use of internet memes, many of whom rely on the audience knowledge to get those references, the problem with references they are not suppose to take the place of actually humour. Double Rainboom, was basically a animated crossover fan fiction, with the Powerpuff Girls, in addition it was a love struck fan letter to Lauren Faust, which does annoy me, some bronies are here because of Lauren Faust, and their nostalgic attachment to her, so that is the flaw of this fan made movie, you can't let your darkest emotions invade the story, you have to have discipline to keep the story as good as the animation, for you have to be aware that not everyone will be amused by this sort of pandering, plus this movie did give me a new appreciation of Meghan McCarthy and the DHX writers, they write what they want to see, then write what the fans want to see too, Josh Scorcher's review of Double Rainboom reflect me thoughts of this movie, have a look.

http://youtu.be/SFp70gyWepY  

Edited by Emperor Peter
  • Brohoof 1

It's meh. It's not horrible like some episodes(any fan animation involving Luna with the exception of Snowdrop), but it's still not good. Part of this is due to how the plot invents randomly for the sake of gags.

This would be better as a one-shot, I feel. Kind of like those Bugs Bunny cartoons that have no relation to each other

The only thing good about Double Rainboom is the animation, nothing else. Pointless references, crappy writing, crappy voice acting (minus the powerpuff girls), poorly timed jokes, and the fact that rainbow dash was hilariously out of character. I'm supprised that I'm one of the few people in the brony club at my school that hates Double rainboom.