Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Favorite Thing About My Little Pony?

Petrus

Well basically what everyone else has said. Animation, writing, characters, humor, fanart, fanfic, fanworks...

I'd say the writing, humor, characters and animation are what I like the most. Oh and the style too.

I just like the show all in all. I can't really pick one thing I like about it to be honest. If I said one thing I'd end up saying something else. It wouldn't just be one thing.

• Brohoof 1

The Tirek fight was definitely one of the best scenes of the show. I've always been a fan of Shounen anime and manga where characters gradually get more powerful as the series goes by so seeing Twilight go from barely being able to teleport to full-on ass-kickery against god-Tirek was amazing.

It was an awesome scene, but I have to disagree about Twilight's teleportation abilities. Right from the start of the series she seems to have been quite a capable teleporter. Take a look at the first 30 seconds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZh09sS8Jmg

Teleportation and levitation are the two forms of magic she seems to have had complete control over since the start of the show. It's other forms of magic (you know, important stuff like making moustaches appear on dragons) that she's had to work on.

PS: at about 43 seconds she looks super-precious when she falls flat on her back.

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 1

It was an awesome scene, but I have to disagree about Twilight's teleportation abilities. Right from the start of the series she seems to have been quite a capable teleporter. Take a look at the first 30 seconds of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZh09sS8Jmg

Teleportation and levitation are the two forms of magic she seems to have had complete control over since the start of the show. It's other forms of magic (you know, important stuff like making moustaches appear on dragons) that she's had to work on.

Of course but even at the beginning of the show she had to really concentrate to make it happen. Later she does it without any effort at all which shows the improvement I was talking about. Regardless of where she started she's become infinitely better at teleportation and magic in general. She managed to travel through time even, if only a day or so. Twilight's improvement is both subtle and important to the show's development, I imagine even moreso for Twilight fans.

• Brohoof 1

I like how the show leaves me with a positive feeling after watching an episode. There's no harm or malice in an episode, I just feel good about myself and the world after watching an episode. :)

• Brohoof 1

For me, it's the fact that it's finally a cartoon actually worth watching! The comedy is great, it has great songs, I love the characters, the animation is beautiful and gets better and better with each season, all the primary and secondary characters are unique and flawed (that's a good thing for me, characters need to be flawed, otherwise it's boring.), and, the producers actually care about their fans!

• Brohoof 1

You know I dunno if the show would be quite as girly, or get as much crap as it does, if it weren't for the MLP name. Makes you wonder what the show would be like if it wasn't attached to the franchise. Would it change at all? Would people's perception of it change? Would it be nearly as popular? Curiosity abound.

That's probably another one of my favorite things about the show. It brings to light many oddities in our society and the way people think.

That is so true! The history behind the My Little Pony franchise gives it a stigma of being for little girls. Imagine if it was some sort anime show, I think it would get less grief that way. I think that the way our society thinks is very messed up in general, take the basic "pink is for girls" association. It's really quite ridiculous that a mixture of red and white should be avoided by males. In fact I've heard that it used to be blue for girls, and pink for boys in some cultures. I'm glad that FiM is helping to challenge some rather stupid beliefs held by society.

Edited by fyrepony
  • Brohoof 3

People get way too caught up in gender roles and what defines them for sure. It's most likely pure chance that the color pink is related to being female. It could have just as easily been the color green.

You ever wonder why when you hear a word, see a shirt or whatever it automatically gives you a perception even if you've never really thought about something before? What we've been taught and patterns we've seen trick us into believing the pattern is based on a truth rather than being a result of pure chance and people stop thinking about it if it's just something they've learned from an early age to be truth. Learned behaviors will be the end of us all.

But now I'm just getting off topic... :lol:

• Brohoof 5

@@Discordian

Whats the point of topics if you can't deviate from them! :derp:

Yeah, it's weird how many people don't ever question the things they have been indoctrinated with, they just accept things the way they are just because, really quite sad actually. Associations are important because that's just the way our minds seem to work, but they are not definite, and they do certainly get old. But (you know starting a sentence with "but" is actually an okay thing to do) I guess that's something I like about FiM, a subtle way to challenge the norms a bit without provoking my anxiety too much  :derp: Now if only I could get myself to wear MLP shirts more often...

• Brohoof 2

You know I dunno if the show would be quite as girly, or get as much crap as it does, if it weren't for the MLP name. 

What else could it be called?

• Power Pony Fighters
  • Mighty Morphin' Power Ponies
  • Hero Horses
  • Equestria Academy

In fact I've heard that it used to be blue for girls, and pink for boys in some cultures.

Yes, certainly in the UK until the early 20th century, blue was regarded as the proper colour for girls because of its association with the Virgin Mary. And pink is just a soft version of red, which was the preferred colour for military uniforms at the time. (Camouflage is for sissies, who don't want to meet the enemy in combat! Let's wear red! If we had a better supply of dyes, I'd suggest neon fucking orange!)

Edited by Vital Spark
  • Brohoof 3

@@Discordian

Whats the point of topics if you can't deviate from them! :derp:

Yeah, it's weird how many people don't ever question the things they have been indoctrinated with, they just accept things the way they are just because, really quite sad actually. Associations are important because that's just the way our minds seem to work, but they are not definite, and they do certainly get old. But (you know starting a sentence with "but" is actually an okay thing to do) I guess that's something I like about FiM, a subtle way to challenge the norms a bit without provoking my anxiety too much  :derp: Now if only I could get myself to wear MLP shirts more often...

Yeah but the mods can be randomly strict with off-topic stuff so gotta be careful. My record on this site is near-spotless aside from off-topic posting. I don't really believe in keeping topics strictly relevant but whaddaya gonna do? :lol:

I say wear the shirts anyway. The only way to get over anxiety is to confront it regularly. Eventually it stops being an issue at all.

I laugh in the face of naysayers when it comes to MLP. That's actually another thing I love about it. Goes along with the whole "defying social norms" thing but seeing people's reactions when they find out I'm a brony is fun. Whether it's disgust, just being cool with it or just generally changing one's entire perception of me I love to see their faces. My coworker recently asked me if I was a brony totally at random. When I said yes he had the best look on his face. The rest of the night he was like "I'm waiting for the moment you say you're just kidding and it's all just a joke. o-o" but it never came. He was mostly joking but it was hilarious nonetheless. He didn't expect me to actually say yes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

What else could it be called?

• Power Pony Fighters
  • Mighty Morphin' Power Ponies
  • Hero Horses
  • Equestria Academy

Who knows? There's nothing saying it would necessarily have to still be ponies either. Simply being called Friendship is Magic would have been an acceptable title if it were still the same show overall though. :D

• Brohoof 2

What sparked my interest originally was how different it was and how it surprised me, my first "exposure to it" were avatar gifs of fluttershy going nuts in the season 1 finale and all those heavy objects falling on twilight, and then on youtube thumbnails of pinkie going crazy. But what really sold me was how good the show really was and how I forget that it's a kid's show. Plus it's light-hearted and I like the voice acting.

I also like how over time the animation improved even further, with new expressions and everything.

• Brohoof 1

I really like dark and cynical and bleak stuff when it comes to movies and stories and what have you, and that tends to weigh on your soul after a while. Sometimes, especially after a hard day or when you're in the midst of a personal crisis, it's nice to watch something that's just fun and happy before going to sleep.

• Brohoof 2

It's theme: Friendship.

The Mane Six and their interactions: episodes like Simple Ways make my day. But I really like the idea that their friendship is so important.

The Princesses: I love them. What they represent and they, themselves. I just wish the show would expand more on them and what they do.

The ponies and their world: they way the ponies interact with their world, magic, changing seasons, caring for defenseless creatures, like the breezies, they manipulate the weather.

Slice of life episodes: they tend to be more appealing to me than the "epic/save the world" episodes.

• Brohoof 1

For me My Little Pony combines things I like, Hellenic legends, fantasy and steam-punk, similar to Avatar the Last Airbender or the Legend of Korra, were those programs are set in a Asiatic setting, My Little Pony has multiple of settings like the western desert, Arctic cold or cityscape, unlike typical sword and sorcery stories like Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit for example, are setting in a medieval Northern European location. I love variation, and My Little Pony gives us so much, a new flavour for something old and new, it has magic, medieval with some steam-punk elements, like locomotives and dirigibles, and for good measure Hellenic inspiration, and I love Greek things, particularly Cloudsdale, which has a Greek style adornment, like meander patterns and columns, finally mythology like monsters and Tartarus, so there is so much to love about My Little Pony, the fact that they can utilise so much and make it work, that is the real genius of the writers.     

• Brohoof 1