Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fears, phobias, etc.

Tom Snyder

Yes, i know they're the same thing. But i like to think of them as separate words, not with the same meaning. I have my fears, which affect me in more ways than normal:

• Monophobia
  • Arachnophobia
  • Acrophobia
  • Philophobia
  • Gynophobia

Plus i had a nightmare which had me crying in my sleep:

I was having a nice dream, can't remember what of exactly. But all of a sudden everything goes dark, i can't see anything or my own hand in front of my face. This was terrifying to me, as i had nothing to guide me. I was left to wander the darkness, searching for a wall or anything that would guide me. I had given up on ever escaping that nightmare, but thankfully i woke up, tears just pouring out. I have no idea what it meant, but i guess it had to do with my Monophobia. Its the same dream every night, and torments me with nothing to see or touch.

• Brohoof 1

Trypanophobia - Fear of Injection or Medical Needles

Trypanophobia is a medical phobia. A more general fear of non-medical needles is known as aichmophobia.

Trypanophobia may result in serious physiological responses including very low blood pressure and fainting. In some cases, severe trypanophobia may lead the sufferer to avoid all medical care.

^jeeze this font is... persistant. anyway, yes i suffer from a similar curse, nightmares and all.Its gotten to the point where while im normally open and happy to meet someone, the moment someone is the nurse, dentist, doctor, ect, they are worse than hell itself. If it were a zombie apocalypse and a nurse was putting my safety at risk, i would probably not hesitate to kill her. and that scares me D: . Anyone else i wouldn't want to but.... i just cant think of them as humans or even sentient beings with a purpose other than lying or trying to stab you. Its like a full moon to a vampire, and brings out the worst in me. scary.

I have barely any phobias, I only know of two for sure, the first is...

AcrophobiaA very common fear but this fear just plagues me, especially because I live in Blackpool, home of theme parks and Blackpool tower so heights a plenty and the second is...

MonophobiaFear of loneliness, the idea of having no friends, no family, no lover is just terrifying and quite literally makes me paranoid and angry at friends every so often (All though me being angry at them is very rare for me) and causes me to tremble or shake in just the idea of it.

Well... I don't know if there is a phobia name for this but

I am scared of the thought of all my tech suddenly failing even to the point of having nightmares about it.

This thread is 90% over-dramatization. 

Just because you're afraid of a simple, small thing that everyone else is most likely scared of doesn't mean you have a phobia of it. That's a fear - there's a difference between fear and phobia.

• Brohoof 1

Well... I don't know if there is a phobia name for this but

I am scared of the thought of all my tech suddenly failing even to the point of having nightmares about it.

lol i dont think thats actaully a thing, but were so dependent on it, that it probably would be world ending. although the whole "finding salvageable tech in an apocalypse" idea is badass imo

I have barely any phobias, I only know of two for sure, the first is...

AcrophobiaA very common fear but this fear just plagues me, especially because I live in Blackpool, home of theme parks and Blackpool tower so heights a plenty and the second is...

MonophobiaFear of loneliness, the idea of having no friends, no family, no lover is just terrifying and quite literally makes me paranoid and angry at friends every so often (All though me being angry at them is very rare for me) and causes me to tremble or shake in just the idea of it.

monophobia huh? good to know theres a name for it, so many people suffer this and im doing my best to help. so much so that my fingers hurt from typing so much and trying not to hit a splinter lol im sure youve seen one of my posts about it before, and im tempted to just make a note on my PC with it and just copypaste cuz so many people have this problem xD although i know phobias are hard to get over, its possible to temporarily set them aside if its important.

Just because you're afraid of a simple, small thing that everyone else is most likely scared of doesn't mean you have a phobia of it. That's a fear - there's a difference between fear and phobia.

yea i know, and i also know that what i have, is a phobia. completely, and on the worse end of the spectrum. most people dont plan how they can turn the tables on a dentist by whipping out a submachinegun. (which is why i make extra sure im unarmed while being dragged into the car when i have an appointment :P)

• Brohoof 2

What's wrong with making a topic like this? Its a discussion on what people fear, so what i it is.

What's wrong with making a topic like this? Its a discussion on what people fear, so what i it is.

There isn't a problem with the topic, I'm just saying that people are going to dramatize their fears and call them phobias. 

• Brohoof 1

also a good point. infact, i think the complaint post is the real drama here :P

(edited)

I don't complain about my fears, and i don't go all dramatic. My nightmare was one of the worst i ever had. Its a natural reaction and instinct we inherited.

Edited by Rosemary

There isn't a problem with the topic, I'm just saying that people are going to dramatize their fears and call them phobias. 

or maybe they are phobias. im just going to say this. you KNOW if you have one. as in, you hyperventilate, go into shock, and come close to fainting anytime a particular scenario happenes

I'm pointing out that people need to realise there's a difference between fear and phobia. Doesn't seem very dramatic.

• Brohoof 1

I'm pointing out that people need to realise there's a difference between fear and phobia. Doesn't seem very dramatic.

sorry, when i made that post i had misunderstood what you were trying to say, and i think your right, but at the same time i think most people who have posted here know the difference. just trying to keep the peace :P

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

sorry, when i made that post i had misunderstood what you were trying to say, and i think your right, but at the same time i think most people who have posted here know the difference. just trying to keep the peace :P

I know, but i've been trying to get over it. But nothing seems to work. Two phobias out of the five are severe cases for me, the two are Gynophobia and Acrophobia. To make this clear i'll say this:

Gynophobia, is my worst one. I can't stand being around girls and try to avoid them altogether. I will freak if one even attempts to talk to me.

My acrophobia is the second, if i even look down, i feel sick and almost pass out. its that bad.   

Edited by Rosemary

My definition of fear and phobia is....

A fear can be mastered or at least controlled

A phobia is a fear that you cannot control.

If that makes any sense. Well now I will tell some of my fears. (Some I've mastered though)

I used to be afraid of the dark, but I sort of trained myself and now I actually feel safer. I think I've developed a bit of fear being in well lit areas though XD The irony

I do think I have the phobia where you are afraid to be alone, but what is ironic is I tire very easily of a few minutes of social interaction. I mean I will feel lonely, but when I start talking to someone I start thinking "I can't wait to be alone again." My mind is hypocritical x.x

I do not fear death, but I fear not dying the way I want to die, which is in battle. Old belief and a bit morbid, but I am Nordic Pagan : D

I fear/hate spiders. Meaning I get so afraid of them that I just can't help but smash them x.x

• Brohoof 1

I'm scared of... pretty much anything >.>

I'm scared of going outside by myself and something bad happening like getting raped/kidnapped/bashed. 

I'm TERRIFIED of surgery. I can't watch anything that involves surgery. Somehow, I can make it through the recent Walking Dead episodes involving Beth and the hospital. And I can sorta manage Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

I'm scared of electric chairs/people/anything getting electrocuted. Strange, I know. I was alright in The Winter Soldier and Night At The Museum 3 (but that was funny), but my parents were watching Taken and it managed to make me go tense.

I'm scared of sharp objects including sharp scissors and needles. I tense up when I see needles in movies/tv shows.

I'm practically blind in the dark so I'm scared of the dark.

Basically, my main phobia is of: Being by myself and surgery.

Thantophobia: The fear of death/losing someone you love

I recently discovered I have this phobia actually, I nearly lost someone I love and it hit me how much I fear losing someone to death and death itself. I was so frightened and scared that I was going to lose them and it was just horrible. Some may say "Oh everyone fears this." No. It has scarred me, I couldn't handle losing anymore people I care about, especially to death, since I haven't lost anyone to that yet. I know I probably will eventually, but I just won't be able to handle it well.

• Brohoof 1

Thantophobia: The fear of death/losing someone you love

I recently discovered I have this phobia actually, I nearly lost someone I love and it hit me how much I fear losing someone to death and death itself. I was so frightened and scared that I was going to lose them and it was just horrible. Some may say "Oh everyone fears this." No. It has scarred me, I couldn't handle losing anymore people I care about, especially to death, since I haven't lost anyone to that yet. I know I probably will eventually, but I just won't be able to handle it well.

This made me want to cry... I've been crying myself to sleep lately because I'm scared of my pets dying (They're 5, 6 and 7). I'm really sorry to hear that, actually.

• Brohoof 1

Its not a phobia, but more an intense fear.

If I'm stuck in a small room, i will flip out.

It isn't Claustrophobia, that would mean barely being able to get in a train carriage.

But i do have a pretty intense fear of being stuck somewhere small.

If its a vent say, that I'm crawling my way through, i would still flip out even if there is a way out.