Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fears, phobias, etc.

Tom Snyder

I suppose I have a fear of deep water and heights, most notably.

The worst of my fears (in no particular order) are my fear of falling, worms, slugs, snails, shots, and there's also my crippling social anxiety. I can't really rank any of them as they're often the same in intensity (of fear/panic) in which I have a massive panic attack and do anything to get myself as far away as possible from whatever I'm scared of or I'm paralyzed with fear.

How do you try to get away from shots? Also, I hope you're generally well. Panic attacks sound very uncomfortable..

I suppose I have a fear of deep water and heights, most notably.

How do you try to get away from shots? Also, I hope you're generally well. Panic attacks sound very uncomfortable..

I try to hold the doctor's arm away from me and tell them to wait.

It's never worked.

About once or twice a year, during my yearly physical and for a flu shot (unless somehow my mom forgets).

Whenever my doctor asks if I want to get a specific shot then, I'll say "next time".

Of course, in a perfect world, "next time" would never come.

About once or twice a year, during my yearly physical and for a flu shot (unless somehow my mom forgets).

Whenever my doctor asks if I want to get a specific shot then, I'll say "next time".

Of course, in a perfect world, "next time" would never come.

Why would you get a shot during your physical? I'm not entirely sure a yearly flu shot is necessary (but I'm not your parent, so please don't go telling her that).

I am scared of small spaces.

I suspect it may be bad enough to classify as a "phobia", but since I haven't been medically diagnosed I'm not going to slap that label on there.

Gist is, I am absolutely petrified of small spaces. Even crowded lifts make me uncomfortable. It takes quite a bit to make me truly scared, but when it happens, I flip out and have panic attacks that involve crying, kicking, hyperventilating, the entire package.

Edited by MiniKirby123

Well, not every year, but some of them. For things like tetanus, hpv, etc.

Now that sounds more sensible.

I am scared of small spaces.

I suspect it may be bad enough to classify as a "phobia", but since I haven't been medically diagnosed I'm not going to slap that label on there.

Gist is, I am absolutely petrified of small spaces. Even crowded lifts make me uncomfortable. It takes quite a bit to make me truly scared, but when it happens, I flip out and have panic attacks that involve crying, kicking, hyperventilating, the entire package.

When have you gotten in a situation where you've broken down?

When have you gotten in a situation where you've broken down?

This is going to sound stupid, but we did this activity at this school camp I went to called caving. Basically, you go into a shipping container where it's pitch black and you have to spend the whole time on your hands and knees, navigating over, around and under obstacles. I knew I was scared, but I didn't think I was that scared, until I got in there. It wasn't that bad, but then it just got smaller and smaller and I ended up being unable to breathe. I somehow found it in me to crawl back out, I don't know where I got it from (I assume the adrenaline), but by the time I made it out I was hyperventilating and sobbing. I couldn't do anything for the rest of the day, I was that shaken. 

Edited by MiniKirby123

This is going to sound stupid, but we did this activity at this school camp I went to called caving. Basically, you go into a shipping container where it's pitch black and you have to spend the whole time on your hands and knees, navigating over, around and under obstacles. I knew I was scared, but I didn't think I was that scared, until I got in there. It wasn't that bad, but then it just got smaller and smaller and I ended up being unable to breathe. I somehow found it in me to crawl back out, I don't know where I got it from (I assume the adrenaline), but by the time I made it out I was hyperventilating and sobbing. I couldn't do anything for the rest of the day, I was that shaken.

This sounds almost like the last school dance/rave I went to. I tried to dance because I thought it wouldn't be too hard, but anxiety overtook me and I spent the entire event crying in a corner because of emotions and stuff. Also, my foot was cramping like hell.
  • Brohoof 1

Holy shit. THIS.

I had to do the exact same thing on my Year 6 Camp excursion. 

I was so scared I was holding onto my friends arm. :P I also hurt myself because I ran into a Witch hat. For some reason there was a witch hat in there and I smacked my face into it. :s

• Brohoof 1

I have a fear of stickers. It's gotten worse recently, I used to only be afraid of misplaced or peeling off stickers, but recently I have had to peel my stickers off my laptop case cause I've been feeling sick when I see them. Now even the thought unsettles me. Geufgh.

That sounds honestly terrifying. I'm glad nothing bad happened, even if you were shaken.

I forgot to mention I somewhat still have a fear of dentists even though I've gotten over what happened to cause my fear. I don't really fear this, but I find being around graves or cemeteries very morbid and depressing. Of course the same goes for hospitals for me, mainly because it's tons of sick and dying people.

Edited by MLPFanatic34

Absolutely a fear of ledges - vertical height doesn't bother me, but any sort of ledge involving dangerous implications (such as train platforms or viewing platforms) just scare the hell out of me. I tend to be a little jumpy at the best of times, but watching other people leaning over railings sets off the same alarm bells.

Hm. Things I'm afraid of. K. Let's do this.

Bugs, the dark, the unknown, the paranormal, disappointing those I care about, messing up, betrayal, using knives, being alone.

Edited by Mavis

I have an intense fear of driving (especially on highways, but anywhere I don't know extremely well, and even if I know the route really well and it's not very far, I still hate driving and get anxious).

I developed agoraphobia when my anxiety became panic disorder and I wasn't able to go to the doctor to get help for it for months. It's better now, though not perfect (I wouldn't want to go near the ocean anytime soon, but at least I can look out the window or be in a slightly bigger than average room without having a panic attack >.>'). 

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Let's see, my fears/phobias include: needles, wasps, dying, spiders (just the harmful ones), lightning/thunder and loud noises.

I have quite a bit of fears, don't I?

Edited by Kelldrick
  • Brohoof 1

I have a fear of ankles. If I recall, it's called Astrogolophobia. Ankles just look unnatural and disgusting and if there was a way to remove them without facing some sort of consequence I would. What makes it worse is when my ankles just randomly start hurting after I think about them for a while, or when my ankles touch together. It's just the feeling of them touching together that makes me squirm. That's why I always stand with my feet apart. 

Ankles are the death of me and I don't even care if anyone judges me because it's the gospel truth.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm scared of a lot of things. Spiders, needles, yeah.. A lot of things that people usually are scared for.

However, if it's phobia we're talking about, I have a phobia for darkness, death and standing on stage.

I cannot control my panic breakdowns and tears whenever I'm standing on stage or has to do anything in front of anyone except for casually speaking or joking around. I CANNOT. I cry uncontrollably, my entire body starts shaking, I can't speak. I've tried for SO long to solve this problem, but it never gets better. I should probably go to some expert. I'm afraid that won't help either, I just don't know what the heck to do. I can't have it like this since I want to become a voice actor... It CAN'T be, it has to get better somehow. I just don't know how, I've tried a lot of stuff.... Trust me.

Darkness.. As fast as it gets dark somewhere around me, I FREAK OUT. I start hyperventilating and I start to scream for help, usually. I cannot control this either, it just happens. It usually helps having some kind of light on, or just have someone else  that I know with me in the dark. I cannot stand to be alone, surrounded by darkness. Never in history would I stand it.

Death? Nope, can't think about it, nope. Let's just not talk about it. I hyperventilate whenever I think about death too. I cannot handle the thought of dying. That's it. Over and out.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2