Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where does Twilight get money?

Dulset Tarn

So the Elements of Harmony are effectively a government military program...? That's actually the most plausible answer I've heard!

As much as I favor the idea of Twilight stealing the money from innocent foals on the playground, funding from a military program is probably the correct answer. I mean, it would be silly not to invest money in Equestria's only reliable defense! 

I think that she has money from taxes. Princess in Equestria are like a goddess, so ponies give her money. And they have money because they work.

Since, nobody like to make angry powerful alicorn, right? I think, that it could be dangerous.

I think that she has money from taxes. Princess in Equestria are like a goddess, so ponies give her money. And they have money because they work.

Since, nobody like to make angry powerful alicorn, right? I think, that it could be dangerous.

But Twilight as princess doesn't do anything, nor does she have subjects. And she's only a princess because Celestia said so...

Turns out Twilight's coronation was nothing more than a tax scam so that Celestia could stop sending Twilight funds from her private school and instead give her money from the general public!

• Brohoof 1

I'd say it comes from taxes one way or another. Most likely through Celestia. Although her pay for working the library probably came from Mayor Mare. But does MM personally tax the citizens of Ponyville, or is there only federal tax that goes to Celestia, who then doles it out to the local governments as she sees fit?

As for justification, I think Stormgiggle pretty much nailed it with the whole defending Equestria thing.

Rainbow's weather job is most likely tax funded as well. Fluttershy's animal care could also possibly be considered beneficial to the town, and thus getting a small amount of tax funding.

The real question should be where does Fluttershy get money. She is the only of the mane six who doesn't have a job, and Ponyville already has a vet. What does Angel pay her taxes?

Twilight probably gets some sort of funding for being a princess.

I do believe Flutters gets her money from working as a veterinarian, as we have seen before she is able to deal with animals of varying kinds. It's quite possible her entire job is just taking care of other animals. However if I remember right there was a point where we saw her have a garden of sorts, a small one but enough to feed her and possibly some of her animal buddies. Add that on to the salary she would get from veterinarian services and she most likely doesn't need too much money, and is most likely majority self sufficient in terms of the necessities, everything else can be gifts, saved up for, etc.

Back on topic, I'd imagine she'd have gotten money from the princess prior to her princess-ness, and would have continued to get some until she would obtain her castle in Ponyville. We have already seen that other sections have their own rulers, and it is entirely possible that now, instead of giving their money to Mayor Mare (or whatever her name is) they will now be giving taxes to Princess Twilight. However that's left to be seen, maybe in Season 5 we will get some clarification

I remember making a similar topic such as this one, but of the mane six as a whole. The only thing I can grasp is that AJ makes money selling apples and apple cider, which is evident. Rarity might make money from making dresses but however, she is the element of generosity so she might just make them for free.

Twilight though, maybe she got allowance from Celestia herself? Being her star pupil and all, her gifted "most faithful student". Now that she's a princess, she might have other income. 

I also thought maybe since they're royalty, they can conjure up bits, but it's just a theory. Imagination is what matters. ;)

I think the real question here is how did Rainbow Dash afford a giant frickin' house?

I was always under the impression that she actually made that house herself. I mean, it's just made up of clouds, right? And Rainbow Dash has been shown that she has exceptional cloud-crafting skills. 

Anyway, I think it's definitely fair to say that the pre-princess Twilight had her expenses covered by Celestia. After all, it's pretty obvious that being Celestia's student granted Twilight a ton of perks. Keep in mind that she received seven tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala for herself and her friends for free. She was also able to hook Rarity up with a free suite in Canterlot Castle. 

Sure she's a princess now, but even if you suggest that she's collecting taxes, where would they come from? She doesn't have any subjects, or domain to rule over. Where could Twilight possibly get any income from now that she's the Princess of Friendship?

I would hazard to guess that here new position as the "Princess of Friendship" gives her a vassal-like status to Celestia and thus grants her some degree of tax earnings.

And Rainbow Dash has been shown that she has exceptional cloud-crafting skills. 

When was that? Not that it's unlikely, but I don't recall her doing that.

And yeah it's easy to come up with an explanation for pre-princess Twi, but this is about after the library was blowed to smitheroons.

I would hazard to guess that here new position as the "Princess of Friendship" gives her a vassal-like status to Celestia and thus grants her some degree of tax earnings.

But the Princess of Friendship doesn't DO anything...

But the Princess of Friendship doesn't DO anything...

That has yet to be revealed. After all, she only just received that title at the end of the last season.

I think what I said is far more likely to be the case than her becoming some sort of 'hero for hire' or placing a donation box on her castle's front door. Twilight is pretty skilled at magic, maybe she just conjures it up out of thin air. Well that would technically be counterfeiting so probably not.

Edited by Roughshod

Apple Jack - If you don't know where she gets her money from, your not paying attention. She is the second richest of the ponies. Apple Jack is basically Loaded. Farmers and Ranchers are usually very rich people with deep DEPP pockets. They are the Donald Trumps of the blue collar world....well...them and fisherman that fish out in super dangerous areas for high end product like crabs and stuff. But sub zero temperatures with frozen tidal waves crashing into you constantly with near hurricane force winds hitting you at the same time for something like 72-100 straight hours or whatever with constant labor that puts all other hard labor to shame with no sleep, food, or rest BETTER put some darn money in your hooves. I mean REALLY! Anything less than 80k per person is a no deal lol.

You're joking right? For starters, AJ has made several statements that she is always needing money for the farm and her family. It was her primary reason for going to the Grand Galloping Gala, so she could sell food. The Apples are far from rich.

Secondly, family run farms and ranches are rarely well off. It takes a huge amount of money to run such an operation and it is rarely profitable. Ever hear the joke about asking the farmer what he was going to do after he won the lottery? His reply was " I guess I'll just keep farming until it's all gone." 

You're joking right? For starters, AJ has made several statements that she is always needing money for the farm and her family. It was her primary reason for going to the Grand Galloping Gala, so she could sell food. The Apples are far from rich.

Secondly, family run farms and ranches are rarely well off. It takes a huge amount of money to run such an operation and it is rarely profitable. Ever hear the joke about asking the farmer what he was going to do after he won the lottery? His reply was " I guess I'll just keep farming until it's all gone." 

of course famers need money. They need money to keep up maintenance on the farm and expand. Why do you think multi billion dollar industries are always stressing on money and yet their owners are super rich?

Presumably she had scholarships before, and now she's on the federal payroll. I wouldn't rule some under the table alchemy out either.

What an absurd idea for a fic that'd be. Twilight turns lead into gold for her friends, only to discover the evils of inflation when the rest of the townspeople complain about rising prices.

Twilight probably doesn't have any direct powers of taxation, but Celestia almost certainly does and probably provides enough out of general revenue for Twilight to live and study on to make up for her lost income as Ponyville's librarian. (Even if Celestia didn't, I doubt either her friends or the residents of Ponyville would allow her to starve after all she's done over the years.)

Fluttershy has been shown to also groom other ponies' pets, so that's probably where her income comes from. I would not be surprised if she also ran a pet boarding service.

Applejack is likely rich only on paper. While she would have a stake in Sweet Apple Acres which could be worth a lot of bits, the Apples probably don't have a lot of liquid assets at any one time as money that comes in is reinvested into the farm through maintenance or upgrades.

Edited by Red Cedar

As Rainbow Dash, she goes to the Stalactite Rocks and Loans Bank to spend her bits well.                                                                                                  

Then later is where I Wonder Bolts flyer comes in AT 20% COOLER SO AWESOME! How do you think Twilight Sparkle got all jewels made down in Ponyville at the Rainbow Factory of course?

Twilight was orignally sent to Ponyville to oversee the Summer Sun Celebration and basically act as Celestia's agent. It's quite possible she got a stipend for that and it might have continued as she studied friendship and kept acting for Celestia and defending the kingdom. Remember the show only shows us glimpses of their lives so it's quite possible Twilight did more for Celestia than we get to see.

Post coronation we know from Trade Ya that she did have some official duties and may have had other "as assigned" duties that we never saw. Those could also provide income. We've not seen her act as the Princess of Friendship, but I'm guessing it won't be an easy task.

It's also possible she comes from a wealthy family and given her vast knowledge might even be a now and again inventor.

Just because she became a princess doesn't mean she stopped being a student. Also doesn't mean, there aren't a few things that Celestia can still teach Twilight.

It doesn't necessarily mean that, but that's exactly what happened.

But seriously, it's very doubtful gems are worth much in Equestria.

they seem to be cuurency, the same as bits in Rarity takes Mainhatten, remeber when she tips the doorpony with a huge gem, also pays for carrots in a bun for spike.

My guess two cents on this is she on the payroll from Princess Celestia, figure Twi and the main  6 have saved Equestria enugh times they would all be getting a stippend from the princess as "Contractors" much like modernday mercinaries , "Yeah we'll do your dirty work, Just show us the bits".

Although I have also wonded what is Fluttershy doing on the side to pay for her hoarding habbits.

Edited by Sipenda

I'm assuming the same way the Royal Family makes money: through taxation and grants. I'm sure ponies would be more than willing to fund the princess who saves all their lives on a consistent basis, whereas our Royal Family doesn't appear to do anything beyond stare at people disapprovingly.

Edited by CITRUS KING46